-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After shooting and not cleaning question.

Are you patching bore with oil, or for example Hoppes9, to saturate present powder and copper fouling to prevent potential corrosion from fouling attracting moisture from ambient and pitting bore?

I understand DBC does protect bore from potential corrosion from ambient moisture acting with bbl fouling.

GOA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A barrel treated with DBC? I certainly don’t. The coating has done an amazing job at protecting the bore from corrosion. A friend had a DBC’d rifle in a house fire. Most metal in the house looked like it was salvaged from a shipwreck. The treated bore had some junk in it, but a bit of solvent and a patch or two pushed it all out and the bore was still shiny and unharmed in the least.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
A barrel treated with DBC? I certainly don’t. The coating has done an amazing job at protecting the bore from corrosion. A friend had a DBC’d rifle in a house fire. Most metal in the house looked like it was salvaged from a shipwreck. The treated bore had some junk in it, but a bit of solvent and a patch or two pushed it all out and the bore was still shiny and unharmed in the least.

Cool.

Thanks for that info.

I DBC new barrels, thinking they'll never be cleaner than when new and bore prep is very important for a good DBC job.

Seems to me those DBC "failures" people talk about are more likely than not, a failure to really get the bore clean down to raw steel.

A Hawkeye does help in that regard. Clean patches don't always tell the whole story.

DBC is especially helpful with a rough barrel. IME, they foul less and less after each shoot and clean cycle.

I even DBC premium barrels. They may not need it, but they get it anyway.

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Seems to me those DBC "failures" people talk about are more likely than not, a failure to really get the bore clean down to raw steel.
A Hawkeye does help in that regard. Clean patches don't always tell the whole story.
DF

^^^^^^^ THIS.^^^^^^ I have to agree fully with that.
Prior to getting my borescope, I had the bright idea that since I had a few new unfired factory rifles that I had thoroughly cleaned with a phosphor bronze brush and Shooters Choice, that I could simply go ahead, degrease and dyna bore coat.
After all, I thoroughly cleaned them till the patches came out white, right?

Sure glad I waited till I got my bore scope, it would have been a disaster, I'm sure.
Here are a Remington 700 and a Ruger 77, new from factory and unfired that I would have sworn were spotless till I stuck the borescope down the tube.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

And same 2 barrels after a proper cleaning with JB Bore Paste & Kroil on a patched phosphor bronze bore brush prior to dyna bore coating. Quite a difference in what I thought were clean barrels.

Last edited by wink_man; 02/10/22.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Tag

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for that very graphic illustration.

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Those pictures tell the story. I thought about getting a Hawkeye for years but never quite got around to it. I thought about the amount of pretty good wine I could buy for the same sum. 😉 Then I learned about the Teslong and bought one two years ago. It isn’t the gold standard, but it serves my purposes nicely. It costs a bit more than $50.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wink, is the Ruger bbl the one with the drill tool marks shown in your photo?

I've a new Ruger American. Examining bore w/Teslong looks great from throat until ~3 inch from muzzle. Then the drill tool marks begin extending to the muzzle. Disappointing, but it is a mass produced economy barrel.

I did call lady at Ruger customer care commenting on the tool marks, asking if Ruger test fires guns before boxing as there were traces of copper in bore. Yes she says, Ruger test fires, and yes, tool marks are normal.

I did DBC this barrel after removing the copper from Ruger test firing gun. Good scrubbing w/JB paste, Hoppes9, CR10, then Hoppes, then a final wash w/ denatured alcohol.

Clean and dry bore when the DBC was applied. I orient bbl muzzle down when applying DBC. Leave it that way overnight to allow DBC to dry. I shot the curing cartridges a couple days later.

GOA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Those pictures tell the story. I thought about getting a Hawkeye for years but never quite got around to it. I thought about the amount of pretty good wine I could buy for the same sum. 😉 Then I learned about the Teslong and bought one two years ago. It isn’t the gold standard, but it serves my purposes nicely. It costs a bit more than $50.

Now, that's a MUCH better price.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
More than one muzzleloader manufacturer was installing DBC in their new rifles a few years ago. Can't remember the brands, but may find them in my notes somewhere.

Have installed DBC in a couple of rifles old enough to have somewhat pitted barrels, probably due to corrosive primers. It helped noticeably with cast-bullet accuracy.

DBC also reduces plastic-fouling in shotgun chokes.

Sufficient heat for curing DBC comes from burning powder.

I coated a green mountain appx 15 years ago. Worked really well. I'd replaced a TC hawken tube that I'd sent in due to bad accuracy. 4-5 inches at 100. They got the same and said it was satisfactory. So I've named that TC barrel my Douglas blackpowder barrel. LOL.

In that factory tube it was fired enough with real black. Then cleaned well. Coated and fired. Cleaned and coated and fired again. Then it was left. Fouling at all. For over a year. Pulled it, white growth etc... swabbed and checked. Zero rust etc... That was probably 15 years ago and Ive never touched it since, still no rust.

I've never seen a negative. I've seen a few cases where you have to treat em a few times. And I've retreated a 338 mag that was rough.

But all barrels get either that or salt bath nitride.

Last edited by rost495; 02/10/22. Reason: wrong date

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
54 years ago is a long time.
.harhar!

GOA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Wink, is the Ruger bbl the one with the drill tool marks shown in your photo?

I've a new Ruger American. Examining bore w/Teslong looks great from throat until ~3 inch from muzzle. Then the drill tool marks begin extending to the muzzle. Disappointing, but it is a mass produced economy barrel.

I did call lady at Ruger customer care commenting on the tool marks, asking if Ruger test fires guns before boxing as there were traces of copper in bore. Yes she says, Ruger test fires, and yes, tool marks are normal.

I did DBC this barrel after removing the copper from Ruger test firing gun. Good scrubbing w/JB paste, Hoppes9, CR10, then Hoppes, then a final wash w/ denatured alcohol.

Clean and dry bore when the DBC was applied. I orient bbl muzzle down when applying DBC. Leave it that way overnight to allow DBC to dry. I shot the curing cartridges a couple days later.

2nd pic in each set is the Ruger. I was aware Ruger & Remington test fires their guns, just didn't think they'd be that bad after a test firing or 2 AND the fact that I thoroughly cleaned them with Shooters Choice after I received them(both bought new by me, so I know). Nedless to say, I don't use Shooters Choice anymore.

My cleaning regimen and then installation of DBC is pretty much the same as yours. Additionally, when I orient the muzzle straight up & down overnight against a corner wall, I put it on an old sock under the muzzle, reason being the next day, when the sock lifts up with the muzzle and I have to slightly pull it off, then I know I used enough Dyna Bore Coat on the gun. Never been a problem so far except for one H&R 22 pistol where the sock didn't come up with the muzzle so I simply recoated it again and it was fine the 2nd time.

Last edited by wink_man; 02/10/22.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
54 years ago is a long time.
.harhar!

well thats not even close to 15 but...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm about to do my first UBC application, can someone attach a link to JB's thread describing the entire process?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's in the instructions that came with UBC/DBC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have used it on a couple of barrels and I think it works great. I did not stand the rifle up as was suggested just let the muzzle be down below the action. Next one I do, I will do with the barrel vertical like was descried.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a fan.

I have coated many rifles and my muzzleloader.

I typically shoot the rifle first, cleaning the barrel completely after the first few range sessions. Every barrel is a little different. If it is showing a lot of fouling, I use JB compound. If it seems to clean easily, then I only use the JB the first couple of times.

Then I apply the bore coat according to MD's instructions. Have only had one botched job, and do not know what happened.

I especially like it in big bores, 9.3 and up. For some reason I have struggled get them clean. crazy

I do not clean as aggressively as I used to. Once bored coated, some foam cleaner to get the top layer out after a shooting session and am done. If accuracy is slipping, then I do a deep clean with all the copper solvents.

A borescope is a fantastic tool. Do not regret purchasing one. Every looney should have one!

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I might have to give this stuff a try. How does it do in 22lr barrels?
So once you have your barrel squeaky clean you apply the dyna coat. Then do you have to immediately fire rounds threw it to cure it? Or can you wait a day or two?
I went to they’re web page and I must say it’s not very good. And the only place that I can find that carries it is Brownell’s. Can you F up the process by applying to much or to little? Or what happens if 100% of your barrel isn’t squeaky clean?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 19 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,754
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.