Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've let barrels sit a week. All thats happening is the carrier is evaporating
and then you have to heat treat it to get it to stick. Timeline doesn't matter much. I do it as quick as I can but not worried about it.

Not totally clean? Might have to retreat, IE scrub with JB paste etc.... and retreat. I've had to do it a few times on a stubborn gun. Nothing negative other than it just didn't work quite as well.

too little won't coat. Too much will run out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
So it has a consistency of basically water? And one bottle will do 4/5 rifles?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Once I DBC a barrel, I never use a brush again, just soak it with Eliminator or Patch Out. A patch is the most aggressive cleaning device I use.

Mostly I get them bore scope clean with one or two such treatments. Seems they’re easier and easier to clean.

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
I might have to give this stuff a try. How does it do in 22lr barrels?
So once you have your barrel squeaky clean you apply the dyna coat. Then do you have to immediately fire rounds threw it to cure it? Or can you wait a day or two?
I went to they’re web page and I must say it’s not very good. And the only place that I can find that carries it is Brownell’s. Can you F up the process by applying to much or to little? Or what happens if 100% of your barrel isn’t squeaky clean?

Several years ago when the company had a female support rep. I was able to call her and ask her several questions.

First question was does a 22 rimfire round give enough heat to cure the Dyna Bore Coat.
Her answer was yes.

Second question was shelf life of the product.
She said one year. I disagree with this but of course her aim is to sell the stuff. As Mule Deer has stated, as long as it is liquid, and not hardened, it works fine. Keep the bottlecap on tight and store it in the fridg. I have an almost empty bottle in the fridg that is about 4 years old, just a drop left and every time I open it to check it it is still in liquid form.

Third question was what was the longest allowable time that you can wait from installing the Dyna Bore Coat in the barrel till you have to shoot it to cure it.
Her answer was indefinitely, didn't matter. She said if the barrel is clean and you coated it properly with the DBC , the glue hardens/sets and you have a protective coating in your barrel. At any time after that you can fire it to cure it.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
So it has a consistency of basically water? And one bottle will do 4/5 rifles?

Yes it does have the consistency of water once you take it out of the fridg and let it get to room temperature. Make sure you shake it well before using.

If you are careful, set things up so as you install the DBC through the muzzle and have the bottle RIGHT underneath it to catch the drips, you can get way more than 4/5 rifles treated with one bottle.
The other trick is to try to use the same patch for rifles of the same caliber and do them at the same time. For example, if you have 6 .22 rimfires, have them all cleaned/degreased, then DBC them all with the same patch on your rod. You will find you have used hardly any DBC at all in the process because it is so thin. More DBC is wasted in the patch that is discarded(and the drips that don't fall back into the bottle) after use than is used in the rifle barrel.

I treated 29 rifles and one pistol using just one bottle of DBC in this manner with nary a problem.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you wink man, great instructions.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I put the barreled action in a padded vice, chamber up, bore down.

I attach a shotgun hull to the end of the barrel with tape.

Any excess product drops into the hull and I recharge my mop from there, so there is no waste.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
wink,
Those are some impressive photos - both for clarity and cleaning results.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
wink,
Those are some impressive photos - both for clarity and cleaning results.

Thanks, and taken by a cheap $50 Teslong flexible borescope no less.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,888
Posts18,479,129
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.