Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When I change the oil in my boats the hose on the oil change pump goes into the fuel tank. Got 28k hours on my JD 466 and took the valve cover off once to adjust the lifters. My 1992 IDI F250 has 430k miles and one tank is always full of used motor, transmission or hydraulic oil mixture. VEGETABLE OIL is a no go for me it gums up everything. My truck smokes a little more
when burning straight oil but not terrible. I drove it to VA bear hunting when POS obama had diesel at $5 a gallon. It was in the teens and my old truck didn't want to fire without a gas rag in the air cleaner.

Life is good live it while you can.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Uh.....no.

I wouldn't do it.

If I won't use it in a crank case...I sure as hell am not going to use it in an injection system.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of my friends bought a diesel Mercedes and ran it on oil from the fryers at his grocery stores. He owns the Stokes grocery stores so he had a decent supply of cooking oil. I asked him if he craved fried chicken when he drives.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have about 350 gallons of used motor oil. I'm thinking I'm sitting on a gold mine.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
In older engines from the pre-common rail days have at it, it won't hurt anything.

In a new computer controlled common rail system with electrically controlled injectors there's no way I'd put used motor oil in the fuel.
I turned 70 this summer. The tractor I was asking about was built when I was 26.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
In older engines from the pre-common rail days have at it, it won't hurt anything.

In a new computer controlled common rail system with electrically controlled injectors there's no way I'd put used motor oil in the fuel.
I turned 70 this summer. The tractor I was asking about was built when I was 26.

I bought a new Ford 5600 back in 1976. It had 9000 hours on it when it burned up. Couldn't beat those model Fords.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
There’s no way in hell I’d put used crankcase oil into my injection system. Common rail systems and electronic unit injectors are big money to fix. If I was worried about lubricity of low sulfur fuel I’d use a fuel additive. Used crank oil may have trace amounts of metal, antifreeze etc. Not going to put that back in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And those old X600 series tractors really seem to hold up well. My 2600 still runs like a top.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

And those old X600 series tractors really seem to hold up well. My 2600 still runs like a top.
New Holland bought Ford and the 2 big New Holland Hayfield tractors owned by 2 good friend have been a pain in the a$$. My 5600 just keeps chugging along. Had to put 2 water pumps on in the last 20 years and a new fuel tank. When I get this tank pretty well run out I'm going to change the fuel filter and take a look.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Never

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Have not read all the replies but I was born into the farming industry and actually let's just say tripped into the excavation industry I'm in the excavation industry for all over 30 years. Putting no use motor oil and some diesel tanks just kind of old news. But I absolutely would not do this in anything newer than probably around in the mid-90s

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well....seeing how used engine oil is generally acidic, sometimes very acidic.......

You change that schit for a reason. Burn it in your stove.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I heat my shop with drain oil, dripped into a Franklin stove full of cast iron- - - -old brake rotors, cylinder heads, etc. Once the iron heats up, a tiny drip keeps the place comfortable even in very cold weather.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Very cold weather??

Tell us more......

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Very cold weather??

Tell us more......
Freezing temperatures. lololol

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I heard that the Army did it in their big trucks. I did it a few time in my 82 Mercedes station wagon. Gas mileage was a little lower. Smoked a little more. One quart per 18 gallon tank full of new diesel. Didn't see the benefit.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
This practice has been going on for years and years, especially in California where waste oil actually costs money to get rid of. I am not aware of any problems created in the injection system. I might go so far as to say the old Cummins engines using the PT injectors actually had fewer stuck plungers and bent pushrods. Newer injection systems and synthetic oils? I don't know.

Hastings, I know nothing about Ford Ag machinery, but if you have a Bosch style, CAV, or Roosa Master style pump...you may benefit from the addition of lube oil in your fuel. It has nothing to do with sulfur, when they decided on an environmentally friendly diesel blend in the 80's they removed a lot of suspended paraffins to clean up particulates...reducing the lubricity of the fuel...costing the public billions in injection system failures. But, 15/1 may be a little rich, you could be building carbon deposits that will cause you problems down the line.
I have a good friend who is no dummy when it comes to keeping equipment going. He has told me that lots of the bigger trucking and construction companies are straining their used motor oil and adding to the diesel fuel they use. I tried about a gallon of carefully drained and strained oil in my old 5600 Ford tractor and have run it several hours with no issues yet. The mix I've used is about 15/1. Diesel is $5 and used oil disposal is a problem (I usually burn brush piles with it).

What would those of you that have burned a lot of diesel think?
OK, thanks, I'll top off the tank and that will dilute it some. The 24HCF is a wonderful place for information.

This.

The best 2-cycle oils for the purpose (of lubricity in diesel engines) are the ones for your 2-cycle boat motor, that are TCW rated. They are ashless and burn very cleanly. I use it on my old K5 6.2 with the main objective of keeping the pump seals tight. Works great. At 20 plus dollars a gallon for TCW-rated oil, the savings from this are in equipment longevity, not miles per gallon.

I have "thinned" diesel fuel with hydraulic fluid, kerosene, and vegetable oil - always virgin, never reused - but figured out it was more trouble than it was worth after the filters clogged up prematurely and I had to pump out my tank (once) and change filters (prematurely more than once). I looked at waste oil, and leftover gas/oil mixture from my boat motors, but considered I could never get them clean enough without a substantial investment (filters, centrifuge, etc.) so would give it to a good ole boy with an old multi-fuel deuce and a half who loved the stuff.

All that said, no way would I run a modern diesel truck on waste oil of any kind. IMO too risky for such an investment. The old adage to equipment longevity applies: clean fuel, clean water, clean air, right?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
I had the injector pump and injectors rebuilt on my Ford 2600 a few years back, and the mechanic who did the job advised me to add a little cheap 2-cycle oil to my fuel. No mention of used motor oil. Considering how cheap you can get 2-cycle oil I would go with that before I would consider used motor oil.

What ratio do you like?

My 6.2 is a 1984 and could probably run on pure 2-cycle oil if needed, so I don't get hyper-fussy about the ratios. That said, I use about an ounce per gallon, but not at every fill up, so Kentucky windage..... Since I'll sometimes add the 2-cycle oil at the pump location and don't want to take the time to pull the little measuring jug out and get all scientific, will deploy the highly refined "ear method" of a "glug" per every couple gallons...or so. LOL. YMMV.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Nope, commercial additives be OK

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everyone talking about doing this - doing it in old equipment, not modern.

Large trucking fleets run an average age of 3 years or so, mebbe a little more with the last 2 years.

No way are they doing this. Which would make me question/wonder why he told you they were. Which naturally would make me skeptical of other bits of information.

Me

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,098
Posts18,483,058
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.