Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
here's a question for those in the know about the hemi what about the 5.7 in a 2008 model? same defect or is it made a little different?

The engine was changed in 2009 I believe.
that's good news to me I have an 08 with a 5.7 hemi. haven't had any troubles it does seem to have a little bit of a tick now and then specially when cold but it does have about 210,000 miles on it currently

Thanks for that - I had the same question. Bought my wife a 2007 Chrysler 300C with the 5.7 in 2009 with 58k miles. We're at just over 200k now and it's been the best vehicle I've ever bought. Trouble free and very reliable - regular maintenance and worn steering/drivetrain items is all it's needed.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JGray
here's a question for those in the know about the hemi what about the 5.7 in a 2008 model? same defect or is it made a little different?

The engine was changed in 2009 I believe.
that's good news to me I have an 08 with a 5.7 hemi. haven't had any troubles it does seem to have a little bit of a tick now and then specially when cold but it does have about 210,000 miles on it currently

Thanks for that - I had the same question. Bought my wife a 2007 Chrysler 300C with the 5.7 in 2009 with 58k miles. We're at just over 200k now and it's been the best vehicle I've ever bought. Trouble free and very reliable - regular maintenance and worn steering/drivetrain items is all it's needed.
đź‘Ť, mines in a 2500 megacab ...

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
..................ID.......Well supposedly the 2008 and older models 5.7s do not have this problem......Watch the video on you tube that I posted at the beginning of this thread. He explains that.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by grouseman
It's an inherent design defect, the camshaft sits farther up in the engine block and the oil galleries do not supply the camshaft oil gallery properly. The Hellcat oil pump is a stop gap , the design is flawed not the pump but block design. Ram won't do anything about it and after this year the engine is no longer put in Rams.

This.

And any make of active displacement management or whatever they call it, will have issues. There are kits to delete it so it runs on all 8 like an engine should.
.....Thought about the same thing about the MDS going from 8 cyl down to 4 cyl when cruising. Is the MDS partially the culprit? Well according to Reignited in another one of his videos or in the same video link I posted, I don't remember, the 5.7 manual trans Challengers without the MDS post 2008 still had the lifter issues.

Ram/Chrysler imo laid an egg on the later generation Hemis post 2008 by not going with a higher pressure oil pump. However, there are many 5.7 Hemis out there with 200K plus miles on em that have never had a lifter issue using the standard OE oil pump.

Luck of the draw. My buddy caught the short end.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think most of the Hemi lifter issues are with MDS and high idle times. Chevy has much worse issues with their MDS system. Thanks EPA!

I would just disable that crap.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Dodges with lifter problems usually have one of two issues! They recieved poor maintenance, or were driven hard and put away wet. Same as all other vehicles.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Most of the HEMI issues are reported by police departments , the vast majority.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Had a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7l Hemi. Put 145 K on it and never had a problem.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Dinny said GFY

You are a lowly, miserable person with no life. You should kill yourself and beat the Holiday rush.

Medics bury their mistakes..
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I experienced the other Hemi tick. Luckily it was only a broken exhaust manifold bolt. It seems some Hemis get a lifter tick, some get an exhaust tick, and some get neither. My best guess is it's just random randomness.

My mechanic's insurance company doesn't allow him to use anything except direct replacement OEM parts for that specific make and model vehicle. He has a sign posted stating he won't use anything except that and he won't use any customer supplied parts. I guess one could say he's risk averse but he's also a small shop that has everything to lose.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17426487/hemi-tick

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice visual explanation here. I like Uncle Tony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTL8QEU2NwE&ab_channel=UncleTony%27sGarage

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It's an inherent design defect, the camshaft sits farther up in the engine block and the oil galleries do not supply the camshaft oil gallery properly. The Hellcat oil pump is a stop gap , the design is flawed not the pump but block design. Ram won't do anything about it and after this year the engine is no longer put in Rams.

I have met at least one guy with 75K on his Hemi and he told me it started around 60K. He does mostly highway driving and changes oil at 5k with Mobil 1. He could have been full of crap who knows.

I worry more about the MDX then I do the oil pressure. My oil pressure gauge always read low on my 2021 Ram FWIW.

Seems like any of the Big 3 will have engine issues in the 1/2 ton department.

The 5L Coyote is pretty bullet proof.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank baby Jesus for my lifetime warranty on my '12 Power Wagon. When/if the motor blows it'll run me $100. Just like all the other stuff that has broke. smile

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

I have met at least one guy with 75K on his Hemi and he told me it started around 60K. He does mostly highway driving and changes oil at 5k with Mobil 1. He could have been full of crap who knows.

I worry more about the MDX then I do the oil pressure. My oil pressure gauge always read low on my 2021 Ram FWIW.

And putting out 100hp/l in the Nighthorse edition (500hp), otherwise the Mustang GT is at 486hp - from a 5.0 - all while passing emissions.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by EdM

The one with the plasma cylinder liners? How long do they last compared to a Tundra V8?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What was the fix for later gen 5.7Rams?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by smarquez
What was the fix for later gen 5.7Rams?
.....As I understand it, Ram converted to larger diameter needle bearings in the lifters. In one of the you tube videos by Reignited he talks about that. However larger diameter roller bearings can still seize up causing lifter and cam damage IF the problem isn't solved at the source as was clear with my buddy's 2017 Ram. The standard OE 5.7 oil pumps deliver lubrication to the lifters but not quite enough at idle when the oil psi is at its lowest. So over alot of time and an unpredictable amount of miles there can be lifter failures, which in turn causes severe cam damage, which in turn leaves large amounts of tiny metal shavings throughout the engine, which in turn results in a new or reman engine needed.

The fix is installing a 6.2L Hellcat oil pump which is exactly what I did before any of my lifters go bad resulting in me buying a new motor. Puts out 17% more oil flow than the OE 5.7 oil pumps which increases the oil psi at idle by roughly 7 to 10 psi....

Is that to say that a Hellcat oil pump will without any doubt solve the lifter issues on the 5.7s 2009 and newer? No.....But what the Hellcat oil pump does do, is make it far less likely that lifter failure will occur. Imo, several hundred bucks well spent as preventative maintenance.....

Reignited has many you tube videos about the 5.7 Hemi tick and lifter issues. There are others as well, but imo he explains things more clearly and more concise than the others do.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
N.C. Highway Patrol had this issue as well . Lots if time at idle was the culprit.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't own a dodge simply for the fact of them suing Ford for decreasing costs and increasing employee compensation back in 1919. The best thing that dodge has is an engine that's not even theirs, and everything else is harbor freight quality, I mean even Government Motors makes a better product. All companies make bad sheit eventually including Ford, but with dodge/chrysler it's almost as if it's written into their business model as planned obsolescence, much like Apple does with their products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_v._Ford_Motor_Co.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
N.C. Highway Patrol had this issue as well . Lots if time at idle was the culprit.
........Same here in So Cal I was told.......Ram gonna go with the inline 6 bangers w/twin turbos and discontinue the 5.7 Hemi as is my understanding. Two variations of these new 6s I've learned if true, will be one with a 400 HP lower output engine while the other will be a 500 hp higher output engine.

I'm sorry. Those 6 ers will never sound as good as a Hemi with Magnaflows.....

Good amounts of good ol cubic inches have already become a thing of the past that started years ago.

F'n EPA

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.