Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Alpinecrick

I think maybe part of the reason the Guides gravitate towards Wool, besides centuries of proven in the field use is that it holds up to daily usage over a season better than the more fragile synthetics will to rips, tears, burns, stains, etc. AKA hard sustained use.

Always good to have a guides input.

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

GB1

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Heeler, My Outfitter better get an extra horse then. At least in a bush plane you usually get a 60 lb limit. For the kids of fees we pay, I will be bringing more than 50 lbs and he can figure it out.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Westman
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Ditto the wilderness hunts not being first choice for truly big bulls. They are there for sure but private land or ridiculously hard draws are the ticket for those kinds of bulls without spending weeks scouting and hunting.

or.

I think the Thorofare calls to me just because of the history and romance of it all. I grew up reading about it and I'm 68 with 12 points and I hear the clock ticking.

I've been trying for a area 7 tag but point creep has me one behind each year. Just pondering on how best to use them.

Thanks to you and Ralphie for the thoughts.

If you really want a 7 tag I’d just go into the special draw and you should be good to go.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by wytex
Wool does not lose it's insulating ability when wet, that is exactly what it is known for, warmth when wet. We wear wool when it's cold, not going to rain and the snow just sits on top of the better brands. It felts after time and becomes denser making it warmer and more wind blocking.

How many sheep PPs do you have Cold Zero, moose too ? We have many areas that are fine for DIY hunting. My B&C sheep is from one such area.

18 Moose
18 Sheep

I am too old now for DIY and time away from work is precious. I need a pros help to give me the best chance possible at a monster. After about 20 years of working towards this, I want every possible thing I can control going in my favor.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I may as well announce now, this topic will go one for quite awhile. Once the hunt is over I will update everyone here how it all finally played out. I appreciate everyones help.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Ralphie

If you are looking for light weight puffy pants take a look at these with full side zips and weigh less than two pounds.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/mens-compressor-pant-1561481.html?dwvar_1561481_color=090

Last edited by Cold Zero; 01/10/23.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to break this to you but you probably don’t need to worry about a moose and sheep hunt in Wyoming with 18 points.

A couple of points about the wool vs synthetic and puffy. When it’s real cold there is little chance getting wet from rain or snow. That’s when a down not synthetic puffy really shines. If it’s going to be wet it’ll be a little warmer and I’m using synthetics and good rain gear. Wool is heavy when dry and worse when it’s wet. But Wyoming doesn’t really get wet when compared to the PNW.

My non wool stuff has managed to hold up guiding in Wyoming since 2005. But I won’t argue the fact that good wool wears like iron. It just isn’t worth the cost of weight and not as warm to me.

I’m always shedding layers, putting them in my pack, then getting them back out and putting them on. I’ve had numerous wool items and I ain’t going back for hunting anyway. Whether I’m wearing it or in my pack I’m moving better with the down and synthetic than wool.

There’s lots of ways to do it. Obviously there’s accomplished guys on this thread doing it different from me.

Looking forward to hearing about your hunt.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I think your idea about Down vs. Synthetic puffer makes sense. Maybe the winning strategy is to bring one of each and the synthetic one should have a Gore Tex or Pertex outer shell, for when it does rain or snow.

I am aware that I need several more points for a top Moose/Sheep area, so for now my focus is on the Elk, since that will happen sooner.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Cold Zero
Big bulls in the Thoroughfare area and in area 7 with Wagonhound.
7 has the rep for big bulls but they can be found all over the state.
Best outfitters are booked for a few years out, maybe willing to PP share and get in earlier?

Several good outfitters in area 7 to choose from also, not just Wagonhound.

Can you put me onto some more good outfitters in Area 7 in case I end up there?
Wagonhound is a name that keep coming up. There must be others?

Rough Country Outfitters

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Ditto on what Ralphie said. 18 points will likely never get you a sheep tag. A non-resident friend of mine finally drew last year with 23 points. With the reduction in sheep tags from 25% to 10%, the number of non-res. licenses went from roughly 50 to 20 per year.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyosteve
With the reduction in sheep tags from 25% to 10%, the number of non-res. licenses went from roughly 50 to 20 per year.

BOHICA

Once I burn my points, I'm ditching WYO

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Boots... I took uninsulated Kenetrek hardscrabble hikers and wore them exclusively. I had my Schnee's pac boots in the truck and left them there. The weather forecast didn't call for that level of boot and i'm glad I left them. Ymmv. If you don't have the kind of socks I had or have perpetually cold or hot feet you might do different. I took my boots off frequently in the afternoons and let my feet air out. The guys the week before me did not. i didn't want more than the gear I had up there, I don't want all that stuff to keep track of all week long.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yep! I’m toast. I’ve got 18 Bighorn PP’s and I’m 67. Before the 90/10 split, there was a glimmer of hope that I’d draw before I’m in a wheelchair but I don’t see how now. No NR tags in the random anymore. Not even 1 that us poor NR bastards can compete for with .01% chance of drawing. My only hope now is that one day I retire to WY and can use my points as a resident. Im not even sure if they will let my poor country Tennessee ass in the great state of Wyoming as a resident. We’ll see!

Mackey

Mackey
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am looking for a 59-01 tag at this point.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Sorry to break this to you but you probably don’t need to worry about a moose and sheep hunt in Wyoming with 18 points.

There’s lots of ways to do it. Obviously there’s accomplished guys on this thread doing it different from me.

Looking forward to hearing about your hunt.

My NR plan was never to draw PP until 18 and stop, but instead to continue to draw points until I have enough to draw a tag in the best possible Trophy unit. We are talking Elk now since that will happen first, then the Moose and the Sheep last, if that one ever happens.

I believe max Moose and Sheep points right now are 23? Anyone know the date the NR points go on sale for 2023? May as well get it over with.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JeffP
Big bulls in the Thoroughfare area and in area 7 with Wagonhound.
7 has the rep for big bulls but they can be found all over the state.
Best outfitters are booked for a few years out, maybe willing to PP share and get in earlier?

Several good outfitters in area 7 to choose from also, not just Wagonhound.

Wagonhound is a name that keep coming up. There must be others?

Rough Country Outfitters

Does Rough Country do Are 59? Who are the Area 59-01 Outfitters?

The names in Tier One that keep coming up are Wagonhound, Shoshone, Extreme Outfitters, SouthFork Outfitters LLC, Elk Mountain for Area 7.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by wyosteve
With the reduction in sheep tags from 25% to 10%, the number of non-res. licenses went from roughly 50 to 20 per year.

That's good information, I did not know.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I responded about unit 7 outfitters

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,711
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.