-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 66 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 65 66
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That rig would be fun on the beach here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poot,
Very nice, that fastback must scream...
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen

I guess I need to scroll through this huge sumbitch at some point and tally it up... does anyone CARE what the exact number is? I'd guess, 85/15 carrying hot? Seem about right?

-jeff

Why don't you do an actual poll, so you don't have to count? I, for one, would be interested in the results.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My Promise:

I will NOT start another thread having to do with loaded or unloaded carry. No way, no how.

:-)

YOU start it! Dang man, you think I'm nuts?!

I'll tally 'em up tonight or tomorrow.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Promise:

I will NOT start another thread having to do with loaded or unloaded carry. No way, no how.

-jeff

TFF.....I don't blame you crazy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poot Peak
My Promise:

-jeff

TFF.....I don't blame you crazy

+1 ! BT

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Promise:

I'll tally 'em up tonight or tomorrow.

-jeff

I don't blame you but thought I'd toss that idea out there anyway. smile

I don't know about here at the Campfire, but in general my guess is that 99% of the hunters in North America hunt "hot."

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I'd guess it's more in the high 80's myself, but it's really not relevant and it wasn't, and isn't, my intent to rub anyone's nose in this. I was curious. This last weekend, for a while there, I was getting just dogpiled by the empty chamber guys and I couldn't believe that "everyone" hunted that way, so I thought I'd start this and get a feel for the ratio.

My only comment at this point is, wow! Talk about a vocal minority!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
All right... gonna tally this up...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's the results.

HOT: 47

COLD: 15

So... 68% carry hot. I tried to be completely accurate, but if someone said "I carry cold" on page 1, then said it again on page friggin' 11, I might have missed it and counted 'em twice. And of course, vice versa.

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_Olsen; 11/14/07.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff- if you really wanna drive yourself crazy take a look see and see where the people are located at and hunting. I believe you'll begin to see a trend.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Mark!

I am burned out... can't go there... care to share the trend you think you see?

Or are you smart enough not to step in poo?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be willing to bet that people who hunt in tight country (Minnesota etc) would be for carrying hot and or the prairie and or the south and or Tex etc and or the east. Not the friggin mtns is my point.

I'd also be for betting that a good share of the mtn hunting types (IE steep, deep and nasty) would be for running cold.

I could be way wrong been that many times b4.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a factor that has been debated, that's for sure.

I dunno. Most of the cold guys insist that there's never a reason to have a round chambered.

If I were in open country where by definition, there'd be time to set up the shot, there might not be any reason to chamber- I can see that. Likewise, on a horse or cliff climbing, where the force of a fall could be greatly multiplied over what a person could generate, same thing.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No one ever suggested the majority hunted cold chamber. Just as people once thought the Earth flat... and the majority concurred... most fail to see the obvious logic in hunting with a cold tube, but that tide is slowly turning.

IME the most experienced hunters have a much higher rate of cold chambers. When the inexperienced actually try it and realize it not only can be done, but done with time to spare that rate will climb.

But as someone posted above about the difficulty in hunting cold chamber and fumbling with getting shells out of their pocket??? That is not the voice of the experienced...
art

Do not intend to demean the poster above, just think it bears noting for the clarity...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the inexperienced actually try it and realize it not only can be done, but done with time to spare that rate will climb.

As previously stated,speed is not the only consideration for hunting with a round in the chamber.In fact,in my case it is the least important reason,the most important being the noise created by chambering a round.It really doesn't matter when hunting a less wary animal such as moose or caribou,but that mechanical sound will will spook a whitetail buck or bull elk.As I also stated previously,I do not always have a round in the chamber,doing so only in tight cover where game is regularly spotted at very close range.When mountain or prairie hunting or when hunting for animals such as moose,My chamber is normally empty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the cold guys insist that there's never a reason to have a round chambered.

It's lines like that that get you in trouble, Jeff. "Most" and "never" and other dogmatically presented assertions can and will bring out the worst in people. I think that was what made the original comment distasteful to many. I can live with the opinion and practice in general assuming it takes into account the factors specific to a given situation and persons. The attitude suggested by the dogmatic presentation, however, is more difficult to fathom, much less swallow. I don't think that has to be further dissected at this point.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
But, in this particular situation, that statement is entirely justified. I don't think its a line that should get anyone in trouble, its just the fact of the matter in this particular instance.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1

IMO, you are kind of beating a dead horse at this point, Jeff...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stubby
Sound is the problem, huh? Yet you are slipping along so quietly they just do not hear you? Let's forget stand hunting for a minute so we are talking only about still-hunting.

Just keep preaching the "I can't do it" sermon and you will surely be correct, though lots of others do it all the time.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 12 of 66 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,931
Posts18,518,948
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.