Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
So I’m expecting some comments from BSA at a minimum here, but I was just browsing around forums reading random stuff. Found some threads in different places about 1917 Enfields and customs based off them.

So I have been pondering differences in a custom based off the Enfield and my Winchester and Mauser customs. I definitely have a type that I like. All weather finish, synthetic stocks shaped for off hand shooting, built light for carrying, and set up for fast bolt manipulation. Use them for spot and stalk hog hunting. Will typically be making off hand shots on multiple pigs at 20-100 yards.

So my thoughts with regards to potential advantages of a 1917. It seems like magazine capacity will be higher. Looks like up to six rounds in the magazine instead of 4-5. I think a cock on closing bolt gun may be a little faster on follow up shots.

A problem would be stock selection is rather limited if going with a synthetic. MPI seems to be the main option and I can’t tell much about which of their stocks are available for the enfield and don’t know much about their stocks in general.

So anyways, just curious what people here know and think about enfields for a stalking bolt gun. Figure it should be interesting discussion anyways.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Some random thoughts...the bottom magazine hump may pose problems finding a synthetic aftermarket stock. In the glory days of sporterinzing the 1917, the mag was usually shortened to match the stockline. The rear sight base and ears...grinding them to the Remington model 30 Express contour is a lost art. Trigger upgrade?
If I was going to go there, I'd do a minimum effort, ugly child, bubba sporter. Sporterize and seal and bed the GI stock, keep it cock on closing, make sure it has the later ejector spring up grade, tune the 2 stage mil trigger, install a Bad Ace or B Square scope mount and call it good. OR buy one that was sporterized back in the glory days of mil surp sporters. OR break the bank and get a Rem 30 Express or the holy grail 720.
In any event, IMO the 1917's , 30's, 720's were the equal of the 54's and model 70's of that period, and proved it in competition. I personally have never ran into a Eddystone or Remington of that period with a 'bad' barrel.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I do a lot of reading on this particular part of the forum, but not much posting, since I don't have much in the way of gunsmithing skills or experience with building custom rifles. However, I have bought a few custom rifles over the years built on Pre 64 Model 70s, military mausers, and one Enfield in 280Rem. There is a thread with pics of it if you care to look under my screen name. It is a beautiful rifle that someone evidently put a good bit of time and thought into. However, when I pick it up and compare it to my other custom rifles the first word that comes to my mind is heavy.

I saw in the original post where you used the phrase "built light for carrying". I don't know how much luck you'll have with that aspect using an Enfield action.

Last edited by TATELAW; 03/14/23.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Well, light is always a relative thing I guess lol. But job say in that thread ten pounds. That would be a strong indicator of infeasibility of this concept. I would hate to see a rifle that wouldn’t get under 8 pounds or so.

I’m not sure what kind of caliber I would be interested in. Maybe something like 9.3x62 or 35 Whelen. Maybe do like a 30 Gibbs or 300 Sherman.

I think it would for sure have to stay cock on closing. Otherwise there wouldn’t be much point in trying to use this action.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This "family rifle" is a Winchester 1917 purchased after WWII by my dad, probably late 1940's or early 1950's. He sporterized it with a walnut stock and it was quite a rifle, was all set up with nice sights etc. He used it mostly for hi-power competition, occasionally took it hunting. Twenty some years ago it came to me, and I decided to turn it into a rough 'n tumble hunting rifle.

Barrel was bobbed to 21" and free-floated. The action was bedded into a Bell & Carlson stock. I returned it to a 6-round magazine. Put a 6x Leupold atop it. 36mm objective. Somewhere along the line Dad had it changed to cock-on-opening, before I got it. I think I finally found the original parts in one of Dad's old cabinets.

My son started using it about 2009 when he was pretty young. He's taken a couple of black bear with it, a couple of whitetail bucks as well. It's not "light" but it balances well and carries easily. Typically I can shoot 1.25" groups or so at 100 yards with it using my handloads.

Haven't cerakoted it yet, but maybe someday. I really like what that old rifle has become and glad that my father, my son, and I have all enjoyed shooting it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards, Guy

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
That’s similar in concept to what’s in my head. Any idea what the actual weight is?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Kid, Probably not much help, but I just weighed my Rem 30 Express (1917), ready to hunt, sling, Meopta straight 6x scope, 5 rds...it's 9# right on the nose. Keep in mind, the rear sight ears are gone and the magazine depth is reduced by 1 round.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This may help you get an idea of what can be achieved with a 1917.

I had a M1917 WINCHESTER (1918 vintage)That was long ago converted to .308 Norma Magnum. With a 3-9x40 Weaver, sling and a stock cuff for cartridges it weighs 9#0.5 oz empty. It is now my oldest grandsons. I still have a Belgian Mauser in .308 Norma so it was easy to gift this one.

It is in a slender walnut stock. In its Carbelite stock it is nearly a pound heavier. It has had most common modifications done. Barrel tapered, magazine shortened, ears ground off, modified bolt release, converted to cock on opening,
after market trigger, drilled and tapped for Weaver rings. It came without iron sights and I left it that way. I should probably get some put on it but I don't use it that much.

As others have said, this is an accurate rifle, good trigger, smooth action, I really like the safety too.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I’m just shocked at the weights.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Keechi Kid. I found this thread, hidden away a little bit. As you know, the m1917 is one of my favorite actions. I grew up using them. The one I grew up with was a 12 pound rifle, customized by one of my dad's buddies. It had a real nice walnut stock, held 6 rounds, retained the original cock on close feature, but had an upgraded trigger (Timney). When I got this rifle, at age 12, the trigger was set far too light. I learned to adjust the Timney on my own and have always put them in my m1917 rifles. The action is big and heavy and really deserves a magnum cartridge. This is one of the reasons A Square built such big magnums off of these actions. They are very strong and robust, but heavy and large. I love them though. I've had them in 300WBY, 30-06, and currently a 308 Norma magnum. Now, this is going to sound strange, but my best suggestion is to find a BSA model D or model E that was built off of a m1917, not p14. I've had 2 of these BSA model D's and E's and they are by far the best rendition of the sporterized m1917 made. The English really knew how to modify these. As others have mentioned, the work it takes to do these right can not be done by just anyone. I've had 100's of sporterized m1917's in my hand and I can tell you with certainty that the BSA is the best of the bunch. This includes other popular models like the Remington 30 express as well. The only one I wish I could get my hands on is the Remington 720. Those are like hens teeth and expensive, so you never see them. Here are some pics of the work done by BSA:

I think for me the m1917 just handles better than most hunting rifles I've had. I love the safety selector and the smoothness of the action. I don't mean to piss people off here, but these actions are smoother than any of my pre 64 model 70's. When I reach for a hunting rifle, it's usually one of these m1917's I reach for. For shooting field positions, they feel so natural to me. Probably because I grew up with them. I shoot left handed and for multiple reasons they just function better for my needs. Safety lever feels like it was designed for a left hander and the bolt, even the dog leg bent bolt handle feels good when running it. Here's my m1917 30-06:

The floor plate has been straightened, but it still carries 6 in the mag box. It has a Timney trigger, but it has been modified to cock on open. I don't really mind that with this rifle, as it works very well. My BSA model E above is still cock on close and I'm keeping it that way. I can work with either style. Both are still very fast with bolt manipulation. Another cool thing about these rifles is you can use a pre 64 model 70 extractor. I have them on all of my m1917's.

Here's a BSA model D that I wish I still had:

That rifle would put 5 bullets in the same hole. I had a video of that on my older lap top, but lost it when it went down. I remember one time shooting that rifle in the offhand position with some 180gr Nosler partition handloads and putting 5 in a group of 1.057". I grabbed the target and went home. That's all I shot that day. Something about a great shooting rifle that fits you like a glove. You can do a lot with a rifle like that. One of the reasons I suggest looking for one of these rifles, before wasting time with a Remington 30, Eddystone, Winchester or anything else m1917 related. Again, the English did them right. What's funny about that model D is I put a pre 64 model 70 front hood on it and also a pre 64 model 70 extractor on it. I called it my "poor mans" pre 64. Cool thread, I'm glad I found it. I also hope you the best of luck with your m1917 build Keechi Kid. If I wasn't so attached to mine, I'd offer you one. They are kind of weird with left handed stocks tough, so they would not fit you. I also look forward to see what you find and what you do with it. I do like the sounds of a 30 Gibbs though. One cartridge that actually intrigued me. I'd love to see a m1917 chambered for that!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Interesting as I figured your post would be BSA. So what length cartridge can you fit into one of these? The H&H’s work? I will be keeping an eye out now for a model e or d. You didn’t make any mention of stocks. Have you ever looked into the synthetic options?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are big, heavy actions that make big heavy rifles better suited for the largest cartridges like 416s and 404s. I wouldn't use one for a 30-06 or similar length case.

I was offered one in 404J by Bevan King in BC shortly before he passed. He built lots of magnums off that action and the P14 as well. Takes a lot of work to get them done right. Think $$.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Interesting as I figured your post would be BSA. So what length cartridge can you fit into one of these? The H&H’s work? I will be keeping an eye out now for a model e or d. You didn’t make any mention of stocks. Have you ever looked into the synthetic options?

I've always just ran walnut stocks on the m1917's. One of the most beautiful rifles I've seen was one Roy Weatherby built to house one of his 300WBY cartridges in. That was about 15 years ago and was $2,500.00 at a collectors type gunshow. Didn't have the money at the time, but still wished I could have bought that one!! Sorry I'm no help with synthetic stock choices. The 2 I have right now have custom left handed walnut stocks on them and I'm pretty happy with them. Hopefully someone can answer your question as to who makes a good synthetic stock for these rifles.

As for how big of a cartridge you can fit in one of these actions, yeah, an H&H cartridge is easily fit into one. A square made a rifle they called the Hannibal and it housed cartridges like the 404 Jeffery, 500 A.S, and .577 Tyrannosaur (built off of a P14). These cartridges were huge with base diameters of up to .688" and an OAL of 3.740". So a .375 H&H seems small in comparison. I was at the range and saw one of these rifles first hand. They are monsters and the .577 Tyrannosaur is no joke.

This may piss some people off, but I avoid the Eddystones like the plague. I do not want to deal with some of their QC issues they had that could lead to an unsafe rifle. I know guys use them, but that is on them.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got an Eddystone I have been working on. Not done yet. 358 Norma Mag, cock on opening.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Remington 30something, 25 Roberts, weighs 8lbs, 13 oz iron sighted, unloaded, original stock.

Bruce

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA model E:

P14 in a model E stock that I gave to my buddy:

Here's one of my m1917's that I reshaped the stock on. It was pretty bulky when I got it. The grip was also weird shaped. I fixed it to fit my hand and left the palm swell, but took it down a little. Sometimes these m1917 stocks can look like they are pregnant. This rifle holds 6 rounds in the magazine. My 308 Norma holds 4 in the magazine. Both have straightened bottom metal:

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only synthetic stock for a P-17 I am aware of was the Carbelite stock from Bell & Carlson. It is strong and extreme;y heavy. It comes with a drop magazine area. I removed that as I had the modified stock.
I got tired of the extra weight and trimmed down a walnut stock for it.
I may still have it around herre.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I picked up a nicely done Enfield up at Cabelas in Potlandia, that was nicely set up for competition shooting.

The cost was fairly cheap, but the chambering is in Win 243 WSSM. I've got some brass for it on close out, but I've never done nothing more with it. I should rectify that....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Use them for spot and stalk hog hunting. Will typically be making off hand shots on multiple pigs at 20-100 yards.

This sounds like fun. Every time I get into a herd of pigs, they scatter at the first shot. Then you get runners here and there as you kick them out of the brush, like working a covey of quail. With that in mind, I’m not sure that I’d customize the rifle. It was designed for fast handling and perfect balance, plus it has superb sights and about a mile of sight radius.

I’d customize the load instead. You don’t need 30-06 power to kill pigs inside of 100 yards. The M-1917 has a 26” barrel, so you could easily push a 150-grain bullet to 30-30 or 300 Savage levels with a light charge, and the weight would reduce recoil even more. With a stock rifle, I'd put a little white paint on the front sight, then practice running the bolt and topping off the mag without looking at the rifle.

It seems like magazine capacity will be higher. Looks like up to six rounds in the magazine instead of 4-5.

Yes, it holds six 30-06 cartridges. I’ve never emptied a magazine on pigs, but I have had time and opportunity to top one off. If you did empty the mag, you could reload a stock M-1917 quickly with stripper clips.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Seafire
The cost was fairly cheap, but the chambering is in Win 243 WSSM.

Whoever did that is going to Hell.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve had two custom rifles built on p17 actions. One is a 9.3x62 set up as a scout and another in 458 Lott. They won’t make a lightweight but they make a solid dependable rifle.

Attached Images
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I picked up a nicely done Enfield up at Cabelas in Potlandia, that was nicely set up for competition shooting.

The cost was fairly cheap, but the chambering is in Win 243 WSSM. I've got some brass for it on close out, but I've never done nothing more with it. I should rectify that....

Sounds strange.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john
Use them for spot and stalk hog hunting. Will typically be making off hand shots on multiple pigs at 20-100 yards.

This sounds like fun. Every time I get into a herd of pigs, they scatter at the first shot. Then you get runners here and there as you kick them out of the brush, like working a covey of quail. With that in mind, I’m not sure that I’d customize the rifle. It was designed for fast handling and perfect balance, plus it has superb sights and about a mile of sight radius.

I’d customize the load instead. You don’t need 30-06 power to kill pigs inside of 100 yards. The M-1917 has a 26” barrel, so you could easily push a 150-grain bullet to 30-30 or 300 Savage levels with a light charge, and the weight would reduce recoil even more. With a stock rifle, I'd put a little white paint on the front sight, then practice running the bolt and topping off the mag without looking at the rifle.

It seems like magazine capacity will be higher. Looks like up to six rounds in the magazine instead of 4-5.

Yes, it holds six 30-06 cartridges. I’ve never emptied a magazine on pigs, but I have had time and opportunity to top one off. If you did empty the mag, you could reload a stock M-1917 quickly with stripper clips.

Okie John

Good suggestions. Sounds like my jack rabbit hunting days. Always kept the mag loaded. Nice to have the extra cartridges in the magazine too.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john
The cost was fairly cheap, but the chambering is in Win 243 WSSM.

Whoever did that is going to Hell.

Okie John

Amen!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
I’ve had two custom rifles built on p17 actions. One is a 9.3x62 set up as a scout and another in 458 Lott. They won’t make a lightweight but they make a solid dependable rifle.

There is no such thing as a "P17"

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
United States Rifle, cal. 30, Model of 1917.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Keechi Kid;
Happy Easter and good morning to you, I hope that this Easter Sunday finds you well.

While I'm cognizant you've started the thread specifically about M1917 Enfields, I'm going to wander back and forth between them and Pattern 14 Enfields in my response.

My very first center fire rifle was a Pattern 14 which I paid $15 to a buddy for, but likely had to ride the tractor for about 4 hours to get that cash so there is that. I'm honestly not sure how many I've owned since that time 50 years ago, less than Lee Enfield variants but a fair pile came and went over the years. I'd say that I could count the Winchester marked ones I've seen on one hand, but the Remington are fairly common up here and Eddystone most seen variant.

There's not a bunch of difference between them other than the sights of course, the bolt face, the extractor is a smaller claw at the end on a Pattern 14 and the follower.

Just this past winter I started going through parts in the shop and found enough to put together a .303 with an Eddystone barrel which seems to be tight enough that initial fooling around with .308" bullets gave at least acceptable results. They were good enough that I'm attempting to install it all into a '60's Monte Carlo stock from some mystery long action which also has been hanging on the shop wall for 25 odd years.

The one thing you'll find regarding failures with either of the chamberings in the Enfield actions is that the little leaf spring for the ejector breaks. Before answering your query I had to dig through some stuff in the safe and see that there are actually 3 of them, one Remington marked M1917 and two Eddystone P14's.

The Remington marked M1917 needed the ejector repaired and I did it by replacing it with a small coil spring. The two Eddystone P14 rifles, one with a "sporterized" military stocks but otherwise unaltered and the parts gun I'm putting into that mystery stock still have the original leaf spring.

Anyways, a coil spring from what might have come out of a click pen got it running flawlessly once more so it's not a huge deal.

The trigger spring likewise can be replaced with something lighter, of course checking to ensure it's still safe.

Personally I always liked the safety location and function on those actions, it just makes sense and gives even less trouble than the Model 70 wing type, which are good, but I've run across a couple that didn't function properly which I can't say for an Enfield.

There was a Gun Digest article years ago, I want to say the author was Clarence Ellice, and he'd built a couple of synthetic stocked rifles on Enfield actions for all weather and all continents. They were in heavier cartridges, perhaps a .375 and a Lott? Sorry that information is lost in the data base at present.

A neighbor had a .264 Win on an Enfield action too now that I think of it, likely a Pattern 14 but I can't say that for sure.

Everyone has talked about the weight and while I did manage to build a 7lb rifle on a 98 action and by that I mean loaded, sling, scope - ready to hunt - I'd have to think that an Enfield is going to end up closer to 9lb and that'd be if you could find a 20-22oz stock for it.

The lack of aluminum bottom metal for the Enfield is what's going to add a half pound to it over a 98 I'd think, and for that matter I'm not sure the folks making the 3oz aluminum bottom metal for 98 actions are still in existence either?

I'd always planned to build a .375 or bigger on the one in the shop and truly they're grand for that sort of application. However one of the interesting things about aging and wearing out is that if one's shoulder begins to go out, both bows and heavy recoil seem to be less fun most days. That's why the one I'm playing with is a .303, there was a Pattern 14 barrel there which likely belonged to the stray action anyways and the resulting rifle is extremely pleasant to shoot.

Sorry, there's no photos yet as it's still a work in progress which gets bumped when house or yard work calls louder.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there.

Good luck with your project whichever way you go and again Happy Easter.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All weather finish, synthetic stocks shaped for off hand shooting, built light for carrying, and set up for fast bolt manipulation. Use them for spot and stalk hog hunting. Will typically be making off hand shots on multiple pigs at 20-100 yards.

So my thoughts with regards to potential advantages of a 1917. It seems like magazine capacity will be higher. Looks like up to six rounds in the magazine instead of 4-5. I think a cock on closing bolt gun may be a little faster on follow up shots.

I done a lot of this sort of shooting, and a rifle built on a P14/M17 action would not be my choice. The action is a big lump of a thing, with long throw, ideal for long cartridges. It is overbuilt for the sorts of cartridges you have in mind and not the choice for a light rifle.

If you want an action which better matches your criteria, a Lee Enfield No 4 suggests itself. It has a higher magazine capacity, and a bolt which, by reason of rear lugs (and therefore shorter throw) which are also angled, is very fast to operate. Cock on closing too. And it is rather lighter (there's the No 5 which is lighter still, but those are getting scarce). The No 4 has an excellent peep sight, and if you keep that rather than putting a scope on you can also throw more rounds in using chargers (stripper clips).

FWIW when I was about 14 I was working for a gunsmith, and I put just such a rifle together under his supervision: new barrel cut and crowned at 22", sporter stock, polished up and blued. A lot lighter and handier than the stock No 4. It worked well for knocking mobs of pigs.

The .303 calibre works well on pigs too. I do have a 9.3 and like it, but I don't think it kills any better on game this size. I have knocked pigs with everything from .22 Hornet up to .45/70, but I think cartridges like .303, and for that matter .308 and .30/06 work very well on pigs of any size.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a sporter Winchester 1917, it was a cheap rifle to buy. I purchased it for $100 plus tax already rechambered to .300 H&H, bolt opened, rails made to feed, TG straightened, ears ground off, and converted to cock on open. I added a Richard's Microfit, scope base, and Timney trigger.

Here it was like I originally purchased it after I got a scope mounted.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here is my finished product.

It shoots pretty decent with 70 grains of I4350 and 150 grain bullet. I've killed one mule deer with it, but honestly it's way too heavy to carry on a mountain hunt enjoyably.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Craigster
United States Rifle, cal. 30, Model of 1917.

Exactly. It was never referred to as a "P17". They had Pattern 14 Enfields though. Model of 1917: M1917

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Keechi Kid;
Happy Easter and good morning to you, I hope that this Easter Sunday finds you well.

While I'm cognizant you've started the thread specifically about M1917 Enfields, I'm going to wander back and forth between them and Pattern 14 Enfields in my response.

My very first center fire rifle was a Pattern 14 which I paid $15 to a buddy for, but likely had to ride the tractor for about 4 hours to get that cash so there is that. I'm honestly not sure how many I've owned since that time 50 years ago, less than Lee Enfield variants but a fair pile came and went over the years. I'd say that I could count the Winchester marked ones I've seen on one hand, but the Remington are fairly common up here and Eddystone most seen variant.

There's not a bunch of difference between them other than the sights of course, the bolt face, the extractor is a smaller claw at the end on a Pattern 14 and the follower.

Just this past winter I started going through parts in the shop and found enough to put together a .303 with an Eddystone barrel which seems to be tight enough that initial fooling around with .308" bullets gave at least acceptable results. They were good enough that I'm attempting to install it all into a '60's Monte Carlo stock from some mystery long action which also has been hanging on the shop wall for 25 odd years.

The one thing you'll find regarding failures with either of the chamberings in the Enfield actions is that the little leaf spring for the ejector breaks. Before answering your query I had to dig through some stuff in the safe and see that there are actually 3 of them, one Remington marked M1917 and two Eddystone P14's.

The Remington marked M1917 needed the ejector repaired and I did it by replacing it with a small coil spring. The two Eddystone P14 rifles, one with a "sporterized" military stocks but otherwise unaltered and the parts gun I'm putting into that mystery stock still have the original leaf spring.

Anyways, a coil spring from what might have come out of a click pen got it running flawlessly once more so it's not a huge deal.

The trigger spring likewise can be replaced with something lighter, of course checking to ensure it's still safe.

Personally I always liked the safety location and function on those actions, it just makes sense and gives even less trouble than the Model 70 wing type, which are good, but I've run across a couple that didn't function properly which I can't say for an Enfield.

There was a Gun Digest article years ago, I want to say the author was Clarence Ellice, and he'd built a couple of synthetic stocked rifles on Enfield actions for all weather and all continents. They were in heavier cartridges, perhaps a .375 and a Lott? Sorry that information is lost in the data base at present.

A neighbor had a .264 Win on an Enfield action too now that I think of it, likely a Pattern 14 but I can't say that for sure.

Everyone has talked about the weight and while I did manage to build a 7lb rifle on a 98 action and by that I mean loaded, sling, scope - ready to hunt - I'd have to think that an Enfield is going to end up closer to 9lb and that'd be if you could find a 20-22oz stock for it.

The lack of aluminum bottom metal for the Enfield is what's going to add a half pound to it over a 98 I'd think, and for that matter I'm not sure the folks making the 3oz aluminum bottom metal for 98 actions are still in existence either?

I'd always planned to build a .375 or bigger on the one in the shop and truly they're grand for that sort of application. However one of the interesting things about aging and wearing out is that if one's shoulder begins to go out, both bows and heavy recoil seem to be less fun most days. That's why the one I'm playing with is a .303, there was a Pattern 14 barrel there which likely belonged to the stray action anyways and the resulting rifle is extremely pleasant to shoot.

Sorry, there's no photos yet as it's still a work in progress which gets bumped when house or yard work calls louder.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there.

Good luck with your project whichever way you go and again Happy Easter.

Dwayne

Very informative post, as per usual. Great stuff Dwayne! I'd like to add some pictures to illustrate some of what you said.

Difference between M1917 and P14 bolts:
M1917 on the left (30-06 bolt face), P14 on the right (303 British bolt face). Also notice the difference between extractors. Here's another view of the P14 extractor and bolt:

Now, some guys will use the military trigger on the M1917 and Enfield. My preference is for the Timney sportsman trigger:

When I was 12, I got my first M1917 and it had a Timney in it. I had to learn how to adjust that trigger myself because it was far too light when I got it.

You are absolutely correct about the leaf spring failure on the ejector as well. In most M1917 threads, I'll always mention that, as it about the only thing that really fails on a M1917/P14 rifle. As, that is always going to fail. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. You might as well modify the original, or buy one that has already been modified. Here's a picture of one that is sold. Very similar to the one's I've bought. I've also modified them myself:

As opposed to the original design:

That is one of the first things I'd modify on a M1917 or P14.

Dwayne, I like your point about the bottom metal as well. I've often thought that if someone built a lightweight bottom metal to replace the factory M1917 bottom metal, you'd have a big time seller. However, no one has really done it??? Another thing to hit on is the mag box. They are extremely heavy and thick. However, they have to be somewhat rigid because part of the feed ramp is built into the mag box of the M1917. What I have done in the past, is drill lightening holes in the mag box. That sheds 3 oz's or so, not a lot, but a little helps. These are excellent, but heavy rifles. Very robust design, with very little failure points. Other than the leaf spring ejector previously mentioned.

I wonder if the OP is still thinking about building/using a good M1917 rifle? I would, as I've used mine for most of my hunting over the past 37 years. In my experience, they are exceptional for shooting offhand, they operate very quickly, are extremely reliable, and most times very accurate. I love the safety lever and prefer it over just about anything else (even my model 70's). Hopefully Keechi Kid keeps us posted. I'll be watching for an update!!!

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I found this 1917 .35 Whelen for sale today. Almost had to jump on it, but then he posted the weight and I remembered why I don't carry mine! Looks like it has seen some honest field use.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bsa1917hunter;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day down in your part of the world behaved and you're getting seasonally appropriate weather.

Thanks for the kind words and for the very clear photos.

They illustrate exactly what I was attempting to articulate.

The photo of the aftermarket ejector is great because anyone can use it as an example of how to make one on their own.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dwayne:

If you like the 1917 safety, you can find the same style safety on the Remington 725. And you won't need to put wheels on the rifle it comes on.

Just a thought.

Rem

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's worth wading through a snowdrift of campfire nonsense to get to a thread like this...WELL done and thanks men.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sounds strange.

Well it was nicely done I should make a dummy round and make sure it feeds.

Looks great, price was $300. I'd have paid that if the barrel was bad and needed replacing.

I LOVE the Enfield actions... Yeah, heavy, but they are also built like a 53 Buick...SOLID!

would love to run across a vintage Rem 30S, in like 25 Rem or 30 Rem.. one of my few Unicorn rifles, I'd put money on, for my age.

Next time I pass thru Winnemucca, I'll try to remember to bring it with me...Let ya look at it and tell me what ya think.
In advance tho, It's NOT for sale.

Maybe I should look up Flintlocke, who lives just south of me and let him look at it and tells me what he thinks..
an excuse because I'd actually like to meet the guy...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Last edited by butchlambert1; 04/14/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen

I'd imagine that the conversion to 9.3x62 was straightforward? Just a rechamber & rebore perhaps?

Regards, Guy

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Yes, this thread is a couple of months old, but I need to tell Dwayne (no PM yet) that if he needs any parts for an M17 or P14, I have a box load of just about everything. The M19 bolts with the .30-'06 face, or the P14 for the .303 and magnum face, striker springs, bottom metals, safety parts, triggers, bolts, extractors, shrouds, etc. Some new, some older than dirt. They are a phone call away.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sounds strange.

Looks great, price was $300. I'd have paid that if the barrel was bad and needed replacing.

I LOVE the Enfield actions... Yeah, heavy, but they are also built like a 53 Buick...SOLID!

would love to run across a vintage Rem 30S, in like 25 Rem or 30 Rem.. one of my few Unicorn rifles, I'd put money on, for my age.

Next time I pass thru Winnemucca, I'll try to remember to bring it with me...Let ya look at it and tell me what ya think.

Maybe I should look up Flintlocke, who lives just south of me and let him look at it and tells me what he thinks..

Sounds like a plan. A good one at that. I'd love to see it. Maybe you and flintlocke can find out how to post pics and show it off. I know I used to run across plenty of m1917's that were sporterized. I don't think 1/2 of them were done right, so I always walked, but there have been a few that went home with me and I have never had a single regret owning a 1917. They are rock solid rifles. One of my favorite hunting weapons for sure. I'll gladly take them out, when everything else stays at home. I know I'll have absolutely zero issues with them out in the field. I'd hunt from here to Africa with one. Set out on foot from here and walk there and back with zero issues.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ParsnipPappy
Yes, this thread is a couple of months old, but I need to tell Dwayne (no PM yet) that if he needs any parts for an M17 or P14, I have a box load of just about everything. The M19 bolts with the .30-'06 face, or the P14 for the .303 and magnum face, striker springs, bottom metals, safety parts, triggers, bolts, extractors, shrouds, etc. Some new, some older than dirt. They are a phone call away.

ParsnipPappy;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend up north behaved and you're all well.

Thanks much for the offer, it's very kind of you.

I want to say I used to know how many posts one was required to have for PMs, but maybe it's another case of "I just thought I knew, but really I've never known and have forgotten that as well"...... cry

One never knows what projects wander in but I believe that there's enough bits in the shop for me to get the current one done.

Honestly between working on house and yard projects I'm ashamed to admit that the Enfield project has not moved one iota since my post.

Ah well, that's life in summer I suppose?

We'll do the PM thing when you hit whatever the magic number is.

All the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sounds strange.

Sounds like a plan. A good one at that. I'd love to see it. Maybe you and flintlocke can find out how to post pics and show it off. I know I used to run across plenty of m1917's that were sporterized. I don't think 1/2 of them were done right, so I always walked, but there have been a few that went home with me and I have never had a single regret owning a 1917. They are rock solid rifles. One of my favorite hunting weapons for sure. I'll gladly take them out, when everything else stays at home. I know I'll have absolutely zero issues with them out in the field. I'd hunt from here to Africa with one. Set out on foot from here and walk there and back with zero issues.

That would be impressive.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
In every thread about Enfields, it is an absolute certainty that someone will have to point out there is no such thing as a P17. I don't care.
I've built rifles on several Enfields, 14's and 17's, and they have always been pretty accurate. They have not been all that light and it's difficult to make one look slim through the mid-section. I did make one which weighed right at 8 pound with a 4X scope and leather sling. It was a very good shooting 30/40 Krag.
A target rifle I made in 303 British was accurate enough to shoot alongside a bunch of 6BR's and beat most of them.
I like the angled locking lug seats. I like the square barrel threads. I like the safety and the bolt lock. I even like the original sights. If one wants an iron sight rifle, this is one which can be thrown across the yard and not move the sights. I wonder what induced the designers to screw up Mauser's bolt stop and ejector. I mildly dislike the angled rear guard screw. The trigger is good. GD

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have three "built" 17's. 30-06 and 2-300 win mags.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've got a m1917 in 30-06 and 50 bucks in it . Shoots less than 1.5 moa , not gonna do a damn thing to it but shoot the hell out of it. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who doesn't love "The Smell of BSA in the Morning"? cool

This is my Sporterized BSA M1917 in 30-06. It will kill anything in North America.

I just completed re-finishing it this weekend, after years of bush hunting with it, it was about time. Refinished with 100% Pure Tung Oil, with several topcoats of Renaissance Wax.

It is my favorite hunting rifle, the BSA stock was replaced with a Klaus Hiptmayer original custom stock, in a Ferlach Austrian design.

Great action, super accurate, and deadly on everything.

It weighs 9lbs. 8oz., with the scope.

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/08/24.

KB

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by KillerBee

This is my Sporterized BSA M1917 in 30-06. It will kill anything in North America.

I just completed re-finishing it this weekend, after years of bush hunting with it, it was about time. Refinished with 100% Pure Tung Oil, with several topcoats of Renaissance Wax.

It is my favorite hunting rifle, the BSA stock was replaced with a Klaus Hiptmayer original custom stock, in a Ferlach Austrian design.

Very nice. Stock looks like mine on a S&W 1700 (Howa).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Pretty sweet rifle right there. The epitome of a good m1917. The English knew what they were doing, when they put those BSA's together. They had excellent barrels, and the machine work on the receivers is second to none. Not like some of the bubba'd American enfields you often see in the used rifle racks. Some of my favorite rifles too.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA model E:

Here's one of my m1917's that I reshaped the stock on. It was pretty bulky when I got it. The grip was also weird shaped. I fixed it to fit my hand and left the palm swell, but took it down a little. Sometimes these m1917 stocks can look like they are pregnant. This rifle holds 6 rounds in the magazine. My 308 Norma holds 4 in the magazine. Both have straightened bottom metal:

Hi bsa1917hunter,

I sure like the look of yours, great job! Is that an original Sporterized BSA? You have taken really good care of it~ Was it Sporterized in 1949? What kind of scope do you have on it and what was your longest shot on game to date, if you do not mind me asking?

How many deer have you shot with it that have not dropped in their tracks with the first shot? I call mine, my One and Done Rifle.

Took some new pictures of it refinished this morning, way better then the first pictures that are muddy, dam camera, still not perfect! I noticed that I got some wax in the checkering, can you reccomend how you would clean it out?

KB

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[quote=bsa1917hunter]BSA model E:

Hi bsa1917hunter,

I sure like the look of yours, great job! Is that an original Sporterized BSA? You have taken really good care of it~ Was it Sporterized in 1949? What kind of scope do you have on it and what was your longest shot on game to date, if you do not mind me asking?

How many deer have you shot with it that have not dropped in their tracks with the first shot? I call mine, my One and Done Rifle.

Took some new pictures of it refinished this morning, way better then the first pictures that are muddy, dam camera, still not perfect! I noticed that I got some wax in the checkering, can you reccomend how you would clean it out?

Thanks. This will probably add to the confusion: What you are seeing in those pics is about 3 or 4 different rifles. One rifle I bought a few years ago off of gunbroker, just for the stock:
The reason I bought that is because I had found a BSA model E at the LGS, for cheap. I liked the look of the left hand stock better. That stock also sort of matched my left hand stock on my M1917:

Now, this stock was not exactly what i wanted, so I reshaped it a bit, and refinished it. Here are the 2 rifles together, just so you realize there are 2 left hand stocked m1917's there. One being a BSA model E:

The third stock down, is the original BSA model E stock:
And what turns out to be a P14. The guy on gunbroker did not post many pics, and said it was a m1917 30-06, in the left hand stock. The P14 is the action laying on the table next to the BSA model E factory stock.

I talked to the guy on gunbroker and told him that he had advertised it wrong, and that it was a P14 chambered for 303 British. I told him, I was going to keep the rifle, but to be a little more diligent next time he lists a rifle. This one was cheap, and like I said, I was only buying it for the left hand stock.

My buddy says he always wanted a rifle like I had when we were kids. He remembering my sporterized m1917, I had growing up. I decided to refinish the stock, and throw the P14 action into the BSA model E stock. It turned out very well, and I gave that rifle to my buddy for his 50th birthday. Never saw him tear up, until that day. He still has it, and his son (age 15) now uses it quite a bit. His son is cool, he loves old rifles.

The BSA you are thinking about that I told you pointed like the extension of my arm is/was a BSA model B.

With that rifle^^^^^ I shot my smallest 5 shot group offhand to date. Slinged up, I put them into a 1.057" group. After shooting that, I went home, measured the target, and continued to have a great day. I have also recorded a 5 shot group, shot off the bench, where they all went into the same hole. Talk about a great barrel. Those BSA's have them!!!!! Since I no longer have a photobucket account, I lost all of those pictures, and even the recording that was saved on my old lap top. I did not have that BSA for more than a few years, and I wish I had it back. So I told myself If I ever run across another BSA, I'd buy it. That is what I did with the model E, that I explained about. The model E has not seen any blood. It is now a 308 Norma magnum.

The one that I love packing around is my left hand m1917:

I've had that rifle for about 8 years now, but it's killed both deer and elk. The favorite bullet in that one is a 200gr partition. There's no need for a 300magnum anything, where I hunt elk, so the 30-06 with the 200gr partition slays elk pretty easily. The last one dropped at 10 yards away, and that bullet penetrated 3' of elk, before it made its way out. The elk dropped on the spot. That was a miserable year. Constant rain during the duration of that hunt. Not going to show the pic of that elk, as the poor thing is drenched and laying in a muddy mess... The 200gr partition put the buck down that year as well. Both of these rifles handle like a dream, and shoot very well:

m1917 30-06 with 200gr partition:

BSA model E in left hand stock, now chambered for 308 Norma magnum:

I really have not shot that rifle much, since I got it back from the smith, after he rechambered it. It's a sweet rifle though. I should take it out and play around with it. Maybe work on some new loads. I keep buying more rifles though, and fixing them up/accurizing them, while the old ones sit in the safe.. That is life though. I don't expect anyone to follow along with that muddy mess either, but rest assured I'm talking about 4-5 different rifles here.

1. The first m1917 I had was a Christmas gift when I was 12.

2. My first BSA model D: bought in 2009, for $175.00, from Keith's sporting goods

3. Second m1917 sporter, bought at Don's guns in 2016

4. Second BSA model E, bought in 2018
5. P14 303 Brit. Gave to my buddy Oct. 25th 2019.

I can say I have a history with these sporterized m1917's, not so much with the BSA models, but I will tell you that the BSA's were sporterized very well. I can say this because I've looked at 100's of sporterized m1917's, most times being extremely disappointed. I've been guilty of calling the ones (BSA's) I have, the poor man's pre 64. But in some ways they may be better. They handle gas escape a little better, are super strong actions, and have a great safety lever that is very easy to manipulate. The safety lever is very quiet in use as well. All of mine are upgraded to the Timney Sportsman trigger, so the model 70 with it's super simple and reliable trigger is better in that regard. But all in all, there is not too much bad I can say about the infamous m1917 rifle. Except that they are heavy.

I had to go back up to your question to answer some of them.

The longest shot on game?? Not with a m1917, if we are talking deer. That was with a Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag, using a 162 Hornady btsp. Shot was a lasered 648 yards at a steep downhill incline. Angle comp on. With angle comp off, it was closer to 700 yards. That buck almost dropped in its tracks, but did a little death kick and fell down. Shot was right through the heart.

The second longest shot on game (deer) was with a modified classic action model 70 (FN PBR XP) chambered in 300wsm. That was a swat/police rifle. It shot well, a rifle I used in my clubs centerfire competitions, and I took a buck at 600yards with it. Fairly easily with that rifle. Both of those kills were one and done. Oddly enough, both using the Hornady interlock bullet. Deer did a cartwheel off the mountain side, and landed 150 yards from where it was shot.. Dead as a door nail, when he stopped, the best I could see while watching through the scope. Bullet placed cleanly through the heart.

With the first BSA model D I had, I hunted it in the Ochoco's in 2009. Loaded with 165gr Nosler solid base bullets, it was deadly accurate. Spotted a buck running with 2 doe, it was snowing at the time. My buddy standing next to me, as we were walking back to camp. He had his rifle up, as I did and said, doe, doe, doe, and I said "NOPE" as I pulled the trigger. The deer were trotting at a good pace and 90 yards out. Put that little 165gr solid base clean through the heart. Got back to camp, hung the deer, and then it proceeded to snow 2 feet overnight. My buddy probably wishing he had a better scope the day before, when he thought all the deer were does. ha ha.. He was using his pre 64 308 fwt with an old Leupold on top. Me with my old American made Burris FFII with ballistic plex reticle, could see just fine, even though it was snowing pretty good. Now my buddy only has Swarovski on his hunting rifles. I still use my trusted Burris FFII's...

Recently I took a yote at 720 yards with one of my 6.5 creedmoors, using a Nightforce scope and 147 ELD match handloads. That is also a competition rifle, and it shoots lights out. I'll probably go and practice with it later today, as a matter of fact. Need to be ready for a shoot on the 20th.. Thanks for letting me muddy the m1917 thread the best I could. Bwah...ha ha...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Thanks for letting me muddy the m1917 thread the best I could. ha ha..."

lol, good read I enjoyed all of it~

So mine is a model "B" with the cooked bolt, correct? I LOVE IT, it's tucked, and out of the way!

The only thing I would seriously consider changing it the trigger, I like the 2 stage aspect of it. When I am shooting at an animal I like a trigger that all you have to do is to breathe on it and away it goes. I like the weight to be <2 lbs. I only put a round into the chamber when I am pointing the rifle at a target, so I am never concerned with "mishaps". Had a few dangerous encounters in my youth, which has made me Super Cautious!

I was unaware that I could swap out the trigger with a Timney's, with that being the case I was just looking at their Remington 700 Two-Stage Light, do you have any experience with that model?

Also I can attest to the M1917's accuracy, I can put a Winchester SuperX 180 gr. into Loonie at 200 yards and mine is zeroed at 200 yards, about 3/4"high at 100 yards.

You mentioned the Weatherby custom M1917 that was selling for $2,500.00, just curious, if you were to see mine for sale in the USA with a Hiptmayer custom stock, what would you expect it to be listed at these days?

Too bad we were not neighbours, would be fun to shoot together, thats for sure!

Cheer ~

KB

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"Thanks for letting me muddy the m1917 thread the best I could. ha ha..."

lol, good read I enjoyed all of it~

So mine is a model "B" with the cooked bolt, correct? I LOVE IT, it's tucked, and out of the way!

The only thing I would seriously consider changing it the trigger, I like the 2 stage aspect of it. When I am shooting at an animal I like a trigger that all you have to do is to breathe on it and away it goes. I like the weight to be <2 lbs. I only put a round into the chamber when I am pointing the rifle at a target, so I am never concerned with "mishaps". Had a few dangerous encounters in my youth, which has made me Super Cautious!

I was unaware that I could swap out the trigger with a Timney's, with that being the case I was just looking at their Remington 700 Two-Stage Light, do you have any experience with that model?

Also I can attest to the M1917's accuracy, I can put a Winchester SuperX 180 gr. into Loonie at 200 yards and mine is zeroed at 200 yards, about 3/4"high at 100 yards.

You mentioned the Weatherby custom M1917 that was selling for $2,500.00, just curious, if you were to see mine for sale in the USA with a Hiptmayer custom stock, what would you expect it to be listed at these days?

Too bad we were not neighbours, would be fun to shoot together, thats for sure!

Cheer ~

I believe yours is an older model D. The earliest ones had the dog leg bolt handle. Those were from 1949. The newer ones, like the 1951 model I had, had the straight bolt. The closest bolt handle I can find was made by Brownells, and is almost an exact match for the BSA's.

I'd imagine your rifle would be worth upwards af $2,000.00+ to the right person. Although I know it has far more sentimental value to you. I would not sell it. I kicked myself in the azz for selling my first model D. If I ever find another model D or E, I'll probably snag it real fast!!!

I also agree, we would have a blast shooting together. You could even bring your Weatherby 300 win mag.

As for the Timney triggers, I don't have any experience with the 2 stage triggers. I always buy the single stage. I've bought them for the Remington 788, Stevens 200, and all of my M1917's. You'll need to look for a 5 shot sportsman 110, I believe. You don't want the 6 shot model because you have the straightened bottom metal, and I'm assuming your rifle holds 5. My m1917 holds 6, yet the bottom metal has been straightened. Got lucky I guess, but I still use the Sportsman 110 5 shot trigger.

I even put a Timney in the rifle I gave to my buddy:

One other part I always change is the ejector. The leaf spring factory ejector, is WEAK!!! It should really be upgraded to a coil spring ejector, so you never have to worry about that failing you in the field:

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow I did not know that you could replace so many parts

I can only fit 3 shells into mine, if I put 1 round into the chamber that would make it 4 in total, have no idea why!

Never had any ejector issues, but an upgrade would be good especially with the leaf spring feeder, that has always made me nervous if it broke!

Very surprised that would be the value especially with the stock it is on, this is a look at the fitting, all carved by hand~

Excuse the mess I was waxing it again for the 5th and final time, and what do you think about them Whipper Snappers, shooting with then New Fangled Rifles built in the 40's? lol

KB

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Some very gorgeous 1917’s in this thread! Thanks all for sharing!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have an Enfield, probably a Rem 30, that i chambered in 300 Wby. I haven't used it in ages so i will probably rebarrel it in 375 of some flavor. I have a stock Mel Smart made for me before he died. I need to finish it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
you want a bolt gun with some firepower for your pig hunting , just do yourself a favor , set aside the 1917 plans and buy a Tikka CTR in 308 . Pick up an extra 10round mag .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (260Remguy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,617
Posts18,473,985
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.