Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 37 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 36 37
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Mostly carry either my Sig P365 or my Springfield HellCat nowadays on my person. Both with factory 15 round mags.
Unless I’m out hunting, then it’s my Glock 20. No telling how many hogs I’ve killed with it now.

Pardon stepping on the thread, but......

yup, G20 works

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

but the Sigs will do in a pinch!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by luv2safari
At 6' 2 1/2"

Meaning no disrespect, but you measure your height like a little kid does.

P

Some folks have to really worry about that extra half inch.

Kinda like a kid and their age. “I’m NOT two and a half, I’m almost THREE 😁”

Hell, I bumped that 1/2" so many times over the years it deserves a mention. crazy

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll shoot my way out of any situation!Now you're all jealous. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com] smirk

Gotcha beat with my Raven Arms MP25.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I'll shoot my way out of any situation!Now you're all jealous. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com] smirk

Gotcha beat with my Raven Arms MP25.
Gotcha both beat with a pair of Phoenix Arms HP-22 pistols.

Haven't shot 1 of them but surprisingly the one I have fired was pretty reliable for the 2 or 3 magazine fulls I shot through it.

Stays in a drawer at the loading bench.

The unfired one I got when the wife's grandmother passed. I need to put a few mags through it to check reliability.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'll shoot my way out of any situation!

Now you're all jealous.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] smirk

Really nice
Mine is kinda funky dull black looking
with black plastic grip panels

This one ^ ^ ^ ^ must be the BDL model

Gotta give it one thing. It's never jammed with
whatever excuse for ammunition went inside it

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don't want to get involved with the all the discussion here but just want to defend the good folks in Maine. I had the same thoughts about no one carrying a gun in a Constitutional carry state. Then it was pointed out to me that after Constitutional carry passed the democratic administration in Maine proceeded to make many places gun free zones. The bowling alley had a bar attached and as such was deemed a gun free zone due to being an establishment where liquor was served making concealed or open carry illegal.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Last month there was a thread in the handguns section called "Summer Carry".

It started out as the typical "what pocket gun do you carry in the hot weather" type thread.

I answered with the following post:

What gun is the minimum you are willing to get into a gunfight against one or possibly two armed bad guys with? Armed as in both have at minimum, handguns. Are you willing to get into that gunfight, which is a fight to the death, (them or you) with a Kahr that holds 7 rounds of .380?

For me, I know what my choices are. Each has to decide. Personally, I don't own any of the micro guns, that hold a very small amount of rounds, as I don't want to fall into the habit of grabbing what is comfortable, rather than what will actually get the job done. My only exception is a J Frame, and it is relegated to BUG role, and on exceedingly rare occasions a primary, but pretty much 99+% of the time I carry a gun I am willing to actually fight with and can turn in a good performance while using.

I posted again showing what I had chosen to carry that day, which was my Glock 22, .40 S&W a reload and a knife.

One of the more condescending members (Wrapids) stated:

"None of my friends in central Wisconsin feel a need to carry a gun."

Then followed up afterwards by telling one of our other members that since they carried a gun and ammo, with this post:

"Sounds like you should leave a war zone"

I posted a few days later that I was packing the following, showing this picture:

To which Wrapids replied:

"You oughtta leave a war zone."

Here is the thing.

I RARELY comment about much of the stuff that goes on and try to stay out of it for the most part.

That said. This condescending liberal attitude is exactly why we just ended up with 18 people dead and 13 more wounded. Over 30 people total, plus all their families. Kids, spouses, parents, all the people who cared for them.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

When the fight started, nobody took the fight to the enemy. Nobody stood their ground and put rounds into the bad guy.

NOBODY.

So Wrapids, maybe you should feel the need to carry a gun, because NOBODY is coming to save you.

It is up to individuals to protect themselves. It is not the job of the government, or the nanny state. You are responsible for your own protection and those you care for who are unable to protect themselves.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Your typical liberal won't fight his own fight, but he sure will call the police and have someone else do it. He is too scared to do the job himself, but not too scared to put someone else at risk. Pathetic.

Back on point,

You don't get to pick and choose when these things are going to happen or where. They are like a gift from a stranger. You have to unwrap it and deal with it, no matter what it is. Odds are that the situation will not be in your favor as the bad guy(s) will have planned it that way. So deal with it.

That is why you carry a gun you are willing to get into a fight with, and actually be prepared to fight.

Just one person with a gun and some skills could have made a difference and changed the outcome drastically.

Think about Eli Dickens.

The 22 year old young man who stopped what would have been a massacre in a shopping mall. He did so by carrying a gun daily and practicing. When the time came, he did not run, he took the fight to the enemy and stopped a massacre before really got going.

This is The Way.

Mackay,

I like your choice of tools. Carry what you’re willing to fight with - words to LIVE by!!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by justin10mm
A fighting sized handgun usually doesn't match well with prohibited carry locations.

Which is where having a BUG makes the most sense.

However it's a catch 22 because you're also more likely to need a fighting gun while in a gun free zone.

At the end of the day anything is better than nothing. More than that is a bonus.

This is is how every pea-shooter wants the conversation to wrap up.

LOL

My pocket gun is a Glock 29 along with a reload but then I don't frequent areas where criminals have more rights than I do.
Glock 29s a pocket gun you wear some baggy ass jeans don't you boy...

I've been pocket carrying a Glock 20 for years. The G29 is just a little more discreet while out in public. Not much problem if you're not a manlet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger99
I'll shoot my way out of any situation!

Now you're all jealous.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] smirk

Really nice
Mine is kinda funky dull black looking
with black plastic grip panels

This one ^ ^ ^ ^ must be the BDL model

Gotta give it one thing. It's never jammed with
whatever excuse for ammunition went inside it

New rendition is called P32. Not surprisingly not easy to find for sale. Prices >$300.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jackmountain
26 is probably the worst choice available as a concealed carry piece other than the Hk sk size guns and subcompact 1911 offerings.
Too fat to carry and too short to shoot accurately coupled with a smaller than widely available magazine capacity.
How are they too fat to carry. I don't even notice I'm carrying mine, and it conceals extremely well under an untucked pull over shirt. As for shooting, for me, it's not much inferior to a 19.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mackay and others who have multiple EDC pistols. I understand that you might have a different gun for hot weather and cold weather applications. But from a tactical standpoint, thinking muscle memory here, would the best approach be to have as few platforms as possible and for those platforms to be similar? Say a Glock 19 and a Glock 48. Grip angle the same, controls in the same place, sight picture the same etc.

When I was on active duty in the Coast Guard we were carrying Beretta 92s. I started working part time as a reserve deputy for Harrison County. I went with a stainless 92 so that there was no relearning, retraining etc and muscle memory was identical. Seems like there would be similar value in being as standardized as possible with EDC.

Just thinking out loud.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
26 is probably the worst choice available as a concealed carry piece other than the Hk sk size guns and subcompact 1911 offerings.
Too fat to carry and too short to shoot accurately coupled with a smaller than widely available magazine capacity.

Not even close to the worst.

Sincerely,
Every 22lr, 32apc, and .380 on the planet.

😁

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent thread, Mac, lots of insight from varying points of view. I have three EDC choices for the most part, a P-365XL (12 rounds) a Colt LW Commander 45 ACP and a Glock 31. Mostly here in Florida the 365 gets the nod. I was turned onto one by JWP and it's just a practical tool with an adequate caliber and 12 rounds.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Hi MS. I just moved about 35 miles SE of Wi Rapids. Rapids isn't to far from Steven's Point a college town. Maybe the libtard [bleep] rubbed off on him. I agree with you I usually carry a Sig P365 X or a Glock 30S. With extra mags,pepper spray usually Fox Labs or Sabre, an auto knife a reload and my phone. Lots of meth heads in Wisconsin. Code Blue cam on You Tube has lots of videos from LaCrosse WI. Another liberal cesspool.

A G30S is a pretty decent little gun in terms of size, weight and on board capacity, for its caliber. With my hand size I had to undercut the trigger guard on mine to get my hand further up on it. Plus I removed a finger groove to make the front strap flat. I have carried mine a good bit it the mountains for when weight is important, but still want a large caliber. Normally it is in a chest pack. I still prefer a full size gun, like the G21 for carrying in Grizzly country, but the G30S is not a bad setup, if it fits your hands.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Much respect for Mr Sagebrush’s post and his perspective. Over the 45ish years of choosing to be my own protective circle I have carried 1911, sw29, sw586, Taurus 66, Taurus 85 and even a 45lc in the platform the young Sagebrush is busting ballon’s with. I did what it took to be proficient with all of them, carried all of them well and as deep as requirements dictated and all with enough ammo to carry the fight forward.
The most important point is that I chose to do so.
We are entering a time of great choosing. The choices we are facing will be clearer as time progresses.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A G30S is a pretty decent little gun in terms of size, weight and on board capacity, for its caliber. With my hand size I had to undercut the trigger guard on mine to get my hand further up on it. Plus I removed a finger groove to make the front strap flat. I have carried mine a good bit it the mountains for when weight is important, but still want a large caliber. Normally it is in a chest pack. I still prefer a full size gun, like the G21 for carrying in Grizzly country, but the G30S is not a bad setup, if it fits your hands.

I love the concept of the 30S, but I bought one very early on upon their release, and kept getting false lockbacks, i.e., the slide locking back while there's still ammo in the mag. I experimented with different ways to grip it, to make sure I wasn't contacting the slide release, but nothing worked. Sent it back, and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so I sold it at a gun show.

I was really disappointed I couldn't get it to work for me. My Glock 30 never does that, nor any other Glock I own, and that's like a dozen different models. Not once. But on the 30S, I couldn't get through a magazine without at least one false lockback.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
At 6' 2 1/2"

Meaning no disrespect, but you measure your height like a little kid does.

P

Oh for krisake...

189.23 CM then

wink
Pharmseller is a kunt drug dealer, brush it off.

I don’t sell cúnt drugs, you’re not paying attention.

You sure like to focus on me, though. Maybe you have a man crush.

I’m flattered, I guess, but it’s kind of creepy.

P
You'd sell cunt drugs if you were told to. As long as the money keeps coming in, right? Kunt

I love the attention but people are starting to talk.

You need to quit thinking about me so much.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Mackay and others who have multiple EDC pistols. I understand that you might have a different gun for hot weather and cold weather applications. But from a tactical standpoint, thinking muscle memory here, would the best approach be to have as few platforms as possible and for those platforms to be similar? Say a Glock 19 and a Glock 48. Grip angle the same, controls in the same place, sight picture the same etc.

When I was on active duty in the Coast Guard we were carrying Beretta 92s. I started working part time as a reserve deputy for Harrison County. I went with a stainless 92 so that there was no relearning, retraining etc and muscle memory was identical. Seems like there would be similar value in being as standardized as possible with EDC.

Just thinking out loud.

The answer is "It depends".

How much time and effort are you willing to spend on developing your skill sets?

You can master multiple action types if you put in the work. The flip side is that you will never master even a single one if you very rarely do anything other than buy a gun and shoot 100 rounds a year, just popping a few magazines at a piece of cardboard.

Delving further into this, there are 4 levels of competence. They are as follows:

1.Unconscious incompetence.

2.Conscious incompetence.

3.Conscious competence.

4.Unconscious competence.

For those not familiar, I cut and pasted the Wiki definitions below, as I honestly don't feel like writing my own lengthy definitions, and the wiki versions are close enough. I will briefly touch on them after the wiki definitions though.

Unconscious incompetence

The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit. They may deny the usefulness of the skill. The individual must recognize their own incompetence, and the value of the new skill, before moving on to the next stage. The length of time an individual spends in this stage depends on the strength of the stimulus to learn.[1]

Conscious incompetence

Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, they recognize the deficit, as well as the value of a new skill in addressing the deficit. The making of mistakes can be integral to the learning process at this stage.

Conscious competence

The individual understands or knows how to do something. It may be broken down into steps, and there is heavy conscious involvement in executing the new skill. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration, and if it is broken, they lapse into incompetence.[1]

Conscious competence

The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

Now to go further into that as it relates to this topic.

Some gun owners do not recognize (Unconscious incompetence) that they are quite incompetent with a handgun. They are oblivious to the fact that they don't have even the most basic of skill sets and handle guns so poorly that often luck and infrequent handling is what keeps them from shooting themselves or others. In high stress situations they are basket cases and quite dangerous.

The next type (conscious incompetence) is not at all a bad thing. For example, I know that I cannot play a piano. That is conscious incompetence. Some people know their skill sets with a pistol, or multiple action types are poor. That is not a bad thing. It is actually good that it is recognized.

Next, being conscious competence. The person has to think about his actions while doing them but can get through an event if he maintains focus. However he really needs to concentrate, especially in stressful environments.

Last is conscious competence. This is where we don't even have to think about an action, we can simply do it at a natural level. The example I like to use is driving a stick shift vehicle after you have been doing so for 20 years. When you were first learning, you messed it up, and were consciously incompetent. Then you became consciously competent. Eventually you don't even pay attention and are at the level of unconscious competence. You simply drive and don't give it a thought.

Shooting various handguns (or any weapons system) is the same way.

If you put in the time and effort, you don't have to think about it. You can master it. It is a matter of how much time, training and effort you are willing to put into it. People who are operating at a higher level at a particular skill set were not simply born with it. They put in hundreds and usually thousands of hours of practice.

Most gun carriers who are casual shooters would be better off picking one action type, such as an S&W M&P or Glock w/o a thumb safety to manipulate, or a DA revolver, or a some other version. The brand is less important, as long as the gun is extremely reliable. If a person wants a thumb safety, that's fine too. Just keep it the same. Under stress people tend to fumble a bit, so keeping things simple is a very good thing.

Personally I tend to carry mostly Glocks and 1911s. The manner in which I draw both is the exact same. So if I was drawing a 1911 the thumb safety would come off. If the Glock somehow had a thumb safety it would come off as well, due to the way I draw. It is exactly the same.  I also consider guns like the Glock and 1911 very close to the same in terms if actions. What I mean by that is that they both have the same short trigger pull, and a very short reset. So in practical terms they do not operate much differently.

Now with that said, I generally don't have an issue switching between various action types. I can shoot a DA/SA semi auto fairly well. Something like an S&W 4563 works well for me. I don't shoot it quite as well as a Glock or 1911, but that is more due to the time and round count I have on the Glock and 1911s.

So in summary, most would be better off picking a single platform and practicing to the point of unconscious competence. When they can simply draw and shoot at a target and not even think about the draw process then they are doing great.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Just thinking out loud.

The answer is "It depends".

How much time and effort are you willing to spend on developing your skill sets?

You can master multiple action types if you put in the work. The flip side is that you will never master even a single one if you very rarely do anything other than buy a gun and shoot 100 rounds a year, just popping a few magazines at a piece of cardboard.

Delving further into this, there are 4 levels of competence. They are as follows:

1.Unconscious incompetence.

2.Conscious incompetence.

3.Conscious competence.

4.Unconscious competence.

For those not familiar, I cut and pasted the Wiki definitions below, as I honestly don't feel like writing my own lengthy definitions, and the wiki versions are close enough. I will briefly touch on them after the wiki definitions though.

Unconscious incompetence

The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit. They may deny the usefulness of the skill. The individual must recognize their own incompetence, and the value of the new skill, before moving on to the next stage. The length of time an individual spends in this stage depends on the strength of the stimulus to learn.[1]

Conscious incompetence

Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, they recognize the deficit, as well as the value of a new skill in addressing the deficit. The making of mistakes can be integral to the learning process at this stage.

Conscious competence

The individual understands or knows how to do something. It may be broken down into steps, and there is heavy conscious involvement in executing the new skill. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration, and if it is broken, they lapse into incompetence.[1]

Conscious competence

The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

Now to go further into that as it relates to this topic.

Some gun owners do not recognize (Unconscious incompetence) that they are quite incompetent with a handgun. They are oblivious to the fact that they don't have even the most basic of skill sets and handle guns so poorly that often luck and infrequent handling is what keeps them from shooting themselves or others. In high stress situations they are basket cases and quite dangerous.

The next type (conscious incompetence) is not at all a bad thing. For example, I know that I cannot play a piano. That is conscious incompetence. Some people know their skill sets with a pistol, or multiple action types are poor. That is not a bad thing. It is actually good that it is recognized.

Next, being conscious competence. The person has to think about his actions while doing them but can get through an event if he maintains focus. However he really needs to concentrate, especially in stressful environments.

Last is conscious competence. This is where we don't even have to think about an action, we can simply do it at a natural level. The example I like to use is driving a stick shift vehicle after you have been doing so for 20 years. When you were first learning, you messed it up, and were consciously incompetent. Then you became consciously competent. Eventually you don't even pay attention and are at the level of unconscious competence. You simply drive and don't give it a thought.

Shooting various handguns (or any weapons system) is the same way.

If you put in the time and effort, you don't have to think about it. You can master it. It is a matter of how much time, training and effort you are willing to put into it. People who are operating at a higher level at a particular skill set were not simply born with it. They put in hundreds and usually thousands of hours of practice.

Most gun carriers who are casual shooters would be better off picking one action type, such as an S&W M&P or Glock w/o a thumb safety to manipulate, or a DA revolver, or a some other version. The brand is less important, as long as the gun is extremely reliable. If a person wants a thumb safety, that's fine too. Just keep it the same. Under stress people tend to fumble a bit, so keeping things simple is a very good thing.

Personally I tend to carry mostly Glocks and 1911s. The manner in which I draw both is the exact same. So if I was drawing a 1911 the thumb safety would come off. If the Glock somehow had a thumb safety it would come off as well, due to the way I draw. It is exactly the same.  I also consider guns like the Glock and 1911 very close to the same in terms if actions. What I mean by that is that they both have the same short trigger pull, and a very short reset. So in practical terms they do not operate much differently.

Now with that said, I generally don't have an issue switching between various action types. I can shoot a DA/SA semi auto fairly well. Something like an S&W 4563 works well for me. I don't shoot it quite as well as a Glock or 1911, but that is more due to the time and round count I have on the Glock and 1911s.

So in summary, most would be better off picking a single platform and practicing to the point of unconscious competence. When they can simply draw and shoot at a target and not even think about the draw process then they are doing great.

Outstanding response. I appreciate it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Y'all got me to load up the G22 and throw that into the go-to lockbock in my shop. There's snow on the ground, and 15 rounds of .40 HST with a 22 round reload gives me warm fuzzies.

Page 17 of 37 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 44 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,710
Posts18,475,395
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.