Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

AWESOME MATE !

Got 3, still on the bone, in the freezer !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
& in case anybody is wondering, I encourage all to throw up cooks / plates, just like I do in my fishing season threads !

(Freshwater fishing forum - Usually an open water & hard water thread each year)

Great for ideas & learning !

smile

Paul.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My wife and I try to make it a point to eat chicken, pork or some kind of seafood once a week, just as a break from venison.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
I prefer venison to most meats, just cut out the fat. I had a total of 50 foster kids. The state paid zip for the upkeep of those kids. I had 6 in the house at one time, plus three of my kids, wife, brother-in-law and mother-in-law. I shot 6 does one year and we had venison until nearly summer. My mother-in-law bought some beef. For dinner that night my wife made a fuss. "Oh yech, this is some of that venison you're always trying to feed us."
My mother-in-law had the biggest laugh over that. "You've been eating venison every supper since early November, this is the first beef you've had in over 6 months. My wife didn't reply.

My wife's a social worker in the foster care business. All I can say is God Bless you sir! We need more men with a heart like yours.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am one that will not kill something if I ain't going to eat it , some reptiles don't get eat but a lot do

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Bugger
I prefer venison to most meats, just cut out the fat. I had a total of 50 foster kids. The state paid zip for the upkeep of those kids. I had 6 in the house at one time, plus three of my kids, wife, brother-in-law and mother-in-law. I shot 6 does one year and we had venison until nearly summer. My mother-in-law bought some beef. For dinner that night my wife made a fuss. "Oh yech, this is some of that venison you're always trying to feed us."
My mother-in-law had the biggest laugh over that. "You've been eating venison every supper since early November, this is the first beef you've had in over 6 months. My wife didn't reply.

My wife's a social worker in the foster care business. All I can say is God Bless you sir! We need more men with a heart like yours.

TRUTH ^^^^^^^

Thank you, Bugger !

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like venison but did my deer up a bit different this year as I had some moose in the freezer already.

I cut chops off the backs. The hinds will go into jerky and all the rest went into sausage. The sausage is a very flexible way to do it. We use it for breakfast with eggs, supper off the grill, in chili and spaghetti sauce, with pasta, etc etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks Professionally done SuperCub, good job!

KB

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I like venison but did my deer up a bit different this year as I had some moose in the freezer already.

I cut chops off the backs. The hinds will go into jerky and all the rest went into sausage. The sausage is a very flexible way to do it. We use it for breakfast with eggs, supper off the grill, in chili and spaghetti sauce, with pasta, etc etc.

What sausage recipe did you use?

I did the same this year. Straps and hinds into jerky, and the rest into chorizo, jalapeno/cheddar smokies, and honey garlic snack sticks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I have limited taste and smell now so just went with a basic mild Italian seasoning for the whole batch. It's middle of the road for everyone and half of the sausage was going to my hunting pard who doesn't like it too spicey. If I want it hotter, I can always apply some hot sauce. smile

Originally Posted by KillerBee

Thanks .... Making sausage is not really that hard with the right tools. I was a meat cutter in my past working life, so that helps as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I have limited taste and smell now so just went with a basic mild Italian seasoning for the whole batch. It's middle of the road for everyone and half of the sausage was going to my hunting pard who doesn't like it too spicey. If I want it hotter, I can always apply some hot sauce. smile

Originally Posted by KillerBee

Thanks .... Making sausage is not really that hard with the right tools. I was a meat cutter in my past working life, so that helps as well.
Thanks. I still have some remnants of the 40 lbs of mild Italian I made last year. I agree that it's a nice, middle-of-the-road sausage.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We did the same thing this year. My cousin and I raised a few hogs for pork chops, bacon and ham steaks. We kept all of the sausage trimmings and decided to mix it with deer this year. Ended up doing a 100lb's of sausage.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

In the smokehouse.

We taste tested a few of the batches as we went along. It was a long 1st day of processing and the next day took a few hours to cut and package.

Man, does it make great breakfast sammiches!

Wife made a zita with a pile of sausage and what a darn hit that was as well. Overall, it was a great way to clean out the freezer from trimmings and have great food that is there, ready to cook!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sometimes I feel I pale in comparison... LOL! But here's the venison spaghetti with Pene noodles (what my wife likes), a crock pot venison stew, and my favorite liquid to wash it down with...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 01/18/24. Reason: add pictures

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Sometimes I feel I pale in comparison... LOL! But here's the venison spaghetti with Pene noodles (what my wife likes), a crock pot venison stew, and my favorite liquid to wash it down with...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ain't nothing wrong with that chow!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have 3 pounds of ground venison left. Putting together an ingredients list for some chili. Can't handle too spicy anymore, so mild chilis it is!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Sometimes I feel I pale in comparison... LOL! But here's the venison spaghetti with Pene noodles

My wife makes that, but substitutes the ground meat with cut up sausage. Big hit here, esp on a cold winter night.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thumbs up Scott !!

Looking good.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dean,

That all looks really good to me.

My motto/mantra is;

Food doesn't always have to look good, but should always taste good !

Paul.

Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,344
Posts18,526,913
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.