Home
Show us what you've got & what you do with what you love !!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Heart;

Flat irons;

Deer & barley soup (top round);

Nice work!

Just how I like mine, just barely unable to run off my plate.

It’s why they call it red meat…….

And barley in my soup is a favorite, but sometimes hard to find in the store. Even when they have it they can’t seem to figure out where to put it.
Tell me about the soup? I'm getting tired of steak and roasts to be honest.

Growing up deer was all we ate. Dad and I have regularly taken at least six a year for the last 20+ years. Rarely buy beef.

The last year or so I've been getting tired of it.

So I canned a bunch last winter and that gave me something different to enjoy. Hard to beat canned venison.

Your soup looks great.

-Jake
Paul, judging by all the medium rare in these pics, THAT is venison done right!

Anything else is just molesting good meat.
Back strap trim chunks;

Sirloin/rump;

& again;

Kids & their partners over for Sunday supper;

Perfect little nuggets of tender, tasty goodness !

Who's up next ?
I don't do anything fancy with mine, straps/loins get cut into minute steaks, I cut the rounds off for the crock pot, and the rest gets ground into burger.

The one I shot this year was really tough for being so small. I've never had a little deer be so chewy before. After this roast last week, I chunked the last one I had left into little stew meat bits and used it that way.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

All I have left now is some burger, already eaten the other bits.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice work!

And barley in my soup is a favorite, but sometimes hard to find in the store. Even when they have it they can’t seem to figure out where to put it.

grin
Thanks Jake, I'll get the recipe from the Deb, she made that 1 !

** add recipe here
Originally Posted by ingwe
Paul, judging by all the medium rare in these pics, THAT is venison done right!

Anything else is just molesting good meat.

Cheers Tom !
Love deer stews & soups !!
we make a lot of hot-dishes with venison burger ,i have smoked brats made our favorite is made with venison,pork,wild rice ,brown sugar smoked brats ,beer sticks too . i do all the butchering of our deer or other eat-able animals .
Right this minute….

[Linked Image]
Yes Sir, that'll do !
Got 4 big bags of chunk trim + 1 left over from last year, in the freezer.

I grind, in January, when it's -30-40*C, & I cant ice fish !

Might have to do a small batch early, this year, as we're completely out of deer burger.
This year I've had the backstraps halved for roast. 20lbs ground into hot breakfast sausage. The sirloin roast off the front of the hams left whole and the rest stew meat.
We will unthaw a lot of it cut it into cubes and pressure can.it.
Have done three so far this year and I'm hunting right now.
I will not shoot a deer though. I'm hoping that freaking bear comes through. I put out 150lbs of apples a bag of cobbef corn and a 1/2 gallon of blueberries.
This 325 WSM Montana is itchin'....

Also the wife is looking for the big racked buck she shot under Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
She seen him chasing a doe this morning but he never presented a shot.
She got up @ 4 this morning drove 48 miles and got in the stand by herself. I was @ work til 8am . She's all killer no filler!
I almost feel sorry for that buck.if he stops long enough for her to get the crosshairs on him. Pretty sure she won't misjudge the distance this time.
Out muzzleloader deer hunting as this is written... but New_2_99's, I can't compete with you in pictures or cuisine! Lol! Learned that in the fishing forum.

But I am able to make stuff good enough that my wife will eat it too! A feat in itself...

Enjoy!
Nearly all we eat around here. We plan on either 4 deer or an elk and two deer to get us through until next fall. Might have to add a couple more when the boy gets teenaged if he eats anything like I did.

We grind almost nothing. Steaks from the straps and big cuts off the hindquarters. Roasts from the front of the backstraps over the shoulders and the big roasts off the hinds that are shaped like a football. Necks get chunked and ran through the canner. Shoulders and any other odds get closely trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes for tacos or stew or chili, basically anything you’d use burger for aside from a burger. I did try flatirons for the first time earlier this week and I think we’ll save them from here on, pretty good eating.

Livers, hearts, and tenderloins get eaten the day or no later than the week of the kill, no freezing them for us.

This fall we have a huge bodied mulie buck and two whitetails already in the freezer and another big old whitetail the Mrs collected last evening hanging in the lean to. We discussed last night that we may fire up the grinder for the first time in years and grind most of her buck since he’s likely to be rather chewy.

The other day when I was cutting meat I got hungry. I threw a handful of “taco” meat cubes in a pan and browned them up. Quarter of a chopped onion, two chopped sticks of celery, a spoonful of garlic, one sliced jalapeño went in when the meat was brown on one side. When the onions started to clear I put in two packs of Ramen noodles along with a good splash of soy sauce and covered it with a can of beef broth and a can of water. When the noodles were tender I ladled it into a bowl with a squirt of siracha. Probably not authentic anything but pretty tasty and quick as well as cheap.
Chicken fried venison is my favorite meal on the planet
Backstraps and hams get cut into steaks, everything else gets ground into hamburger.

Every February myself and 3 hunting buddies get together and make sausage.
Jalapeno cheese smoked sausage and one similar to a slim Jim called hunters sticks.
Last year we made 300 lbs in one weekend.
My family usually eats about 4-5 deer a year, as several of those will be does that were 110-120lb on the hoof. Some will be made into smoked link sausage by a local processor. Most of it we will cut into roasts or other whole cuts, along with a lot of burger. We're big on ground meat recipes and rarely ever buy beef burger.
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
Backstraps and hams get cut into steaks, everything else gets ground into hamburger.

Jalapeno cheese smoked sausage and one similar to a slim Jim called hunters sticks.

Don't forget a couple big batches of DK Chili
Originally Posted by Darryle
Originally Posted by HTDUCK

Don't forget a couple big batches of DK Chili

True dat !!!!!
Originally Posted by earlybrd
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

I mean really, socks with Crocs?
Steaks or burger, put 2 bucks in the freezer, hope to add doe yet. We buy very little beef here!
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Good luck on the bear, for you & the WT for the Mrs !!!
Rocking it Kid !!
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Out muzzleloader deer hunting as this is written... but New_2_99's, I can't compete with you in pictures or cuisine! Lol! Learned that in the fishing forum.

But I am able to make stuff good enough that my wife will eat it too! A feat in itself...

Enjoy!

Thanks Fella, but I'm ordering you, to contribute !

It's all good !
Right on 'Duck !

Chicken fried, is something we never seem to do, though.

Must be the Aussie in us !
I eat venison 2-3 times a week, 52 weeks a year.

-Ken
Originally Posted by JPro
My family usually eats about 4-5 deer a year, as several of those will be does that were 110-120lb on the hoof. Some will be made into smoked link sausage by a local processor. Most of it we will cut into roasts or other whole cuts, along with a lot of burger. We're big on ground meat recipes and rarely ever buy beef burger.

Same, as above, we have taken to vac packing whole muscles, as it gives more options.

Us too, on the burger.

I will buy some, when we have too, but not from a supermarket, only local producers, or the farmer's co-op.
How many, you got so far, this season, 'Brd ?
Originally Posted by saddlering
Steaks or burger, put 2 bucks in the freezer, hope to add doe yet. We buy very little beef here!

Right on Mate !!
Love venison chili.

Usually use burger, for convenience, but the addition of braised, pulled neck roast meat is "kosher" !
Originally Posted by kendibs
I eat venison 2-3 times a week, 52 weeks a year.

-Ken

I see nothing wrong, with this statement, whatsoever !

Us, for sure for the cool/cold months, lots of fish in spring, summer, early fall.

Probably 4 fish meals a week.

**Of course, whatever we eat for supper, is also next days lunch !
My Son Smoked a Venison Tenderloin the other day on his Smoker that would curl your toes. If you blind folded anyone and asked them to tell you what cut or what animal they were eating I guarantee nobody would guess venison. I just can't explain it any better it was so good with the juices running out! m m mmmm!

HS 58
Yeah Man !!

Have fed people our deer, without telling them, some knew, most comment that it is nothing like the smelly stuff the'd had before.

As always, it's about how you care for your meat, from shot, to fridge/freezer, to pan.
You fellas, keep this thing rolling, I'm heading home, don't do internet on family time !

I'll catch back up, Monday !
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

Growing up deer was all we ate. Dad and I have regularly taken at least six a year for the last 20+ years. Rarely buy beef.

So I canned a bunch last winter and that gave me something different to enjoy. Hard to beat canned venison.

Your soup looks great.

-Jake

Jake,

FYI - Eileen has a tasty looking venison barley soup recipe in the latest Rifle Loony News.

Rifles and Recipes
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

LOL it’s cold as fugk in my basement😂😂
Love canning some venison, we do about 10-15 quarts each year. Wife and I have been on a weight loss journey since March and have nearly eliminated processed foods from out doet, along with very few carbs. Hoping to create some new soups without potatoes/starches. Did a Moose/Green bean/mushroom soup/stew that came out awesome. Smoked a moose roast for a few hours, then let if cook in a crock pot till it fell apart. We've also been cooking the shanks in some broth low and slow for however ling it takes to fall apart, then shred everything up.
Im not going to lie.... when I first read the title I was kinda pissed/ offended. As much as I love big racks as the next guy, you cant eat the antlers. I am 90% a meat hunter and wild game, primarily venison, feeds my family of 6 for most of the year. In lean years or when I am deployed and we have to buy beef as our red meat protein both the wife and kiddos gripe. From field to table my meat never leaves my possession. I too have a vacuum sealer and an electric grinder. Your meat prep is top notch and rivals my own. Great job! Just looking at it all makes me hungry.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by JPro

Same, as above, we have taken to vac packing whole muscles, as it gives more options.

Us too, on the burger.

I will buy some, when we have too, but not from a supermarket, only local producers, or the farmer's co-op.

The burger I see in local stores is expensive, and the last I bought had more gristly bits than what I got from my last processor, and of course my own, which I trim pretty carefully. I ground a bunch of the one I killed with my xbow and since my grinder is a smallish one, I triple-ground it, with excellent results. I like leaving big chunks as well, to be ground or not later.

Have two at a new (to me) processor now. Two is more than I can comfortably handle at a time, and I like having them hang in a cooler for a while before getting cut up.

BTW, that chunk of backstrap I posted was cooked on a Cuisinart GR-150P1 Deluxe Electric Griddler. I used the flat plates, preheated to sear at 450. Five minutes. Been looking for an easier, less messy way to cook steaks, and this works well. Cleans up in a minute or two, no flying grease.
Grew up eating more venison than beef or anything else. I have had no problem continuing that for as long as I can hunt and butcher. Back then it was roasts, steaks, burger, and canned.

Now it's all that plus jerky, snack sticks, summer sausage, italian sausage occasionally, breakfast sausage, cube steak, a raft of recipes, and a smoker.

Yeah, lots of love for venison.
I used to eat a lot of venison but I found out it was a gout trigger for me so I cut back.
Loading up the ice chest with a couple of does during the Mississippi primitive season a few weeks ago.

Since a lot of times I'm just cooking for myself, sausages are a favorite way of processing my venison because of the variety I can make & it's easy to cook small quantities.

Seared backstrap, potatoes baked with horseradish & lemon and sautéed mushrooms. Not a bad lunch. I eat venison all year until the freezer is empty. I always have fun refilling it.

Every once in a while a triggering of the gout tingling in the toes let's me know to be careful with the red meat intake. I know there's meds. and pills for such but at mid 60 I try to stay as much off meds. as I can so instead I drink the Red Cherry all natural juice on a limited basis as needed as the red meat still provides good protein. Once again moderation is the Key. IMO!

HS 58
Gout is from the pit of hell.
What’s a good source for summer sausage casings I’m gonna try that
Fresh back straps, loins. The rest anymore gets ground up for burger, and my favorite from that is different sausages one can make.
Ground venison can be made from any piece of meat from neck to rump and is purdy versatile. Drop it stews, soups, make burgers, jerky the list goes on.

Just bought 30 LEM 1.5 x 12 mahogany fibrous casings for summer sausage yesterday at Academy Sports. 9.99 per 10 pack. I dunno if that's a deal or not, can't recall what I paid past years, but I was loading up a shopping cart with lots of other meat making stuff so didn't care. Needed them anyway.

To add: if this is your first go at summer sausage you need to know; when you're done baking/smoking to correct internal temp you need to drop them in ice water to cool all the way through. Otherwise, that casing is gonna be a bitch to peel off when you slice it up.
I like venison with meticulous trimming and handling.

Rut venison sucks and it kills my motivation to kill mature bucks anywhere close to the rut anymore.

We eat 4-5 bucks a year. Roasts, streaks, and most importantly grind. I usually grind a whole buck or two and do 10-15% beef fat mix.

I figure we eat fish/game 5-6x a week. It might as well be good.
I don’t think my wife had no clue as to what beef tasted like until she went to school…….and then, very rarely at home. Their primary meat was game, deer, elk,moose, even after she was married!

After our marriage, we ate very little red meat that wasn’t game until about 10 years ago when we started slowing down ……old age sucks! memtb
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Just bought 30 LEM 1.5 x 12 mahogany fibrous casings for summer sausage yesterday at Academy Sports. 9.99 per 10 pack. I dunno if that's a deal or not, can't recall what I paid past years, but I was loading up a shopping cart with lots of other meat making stuff so didn't care. Needed them anyway.

To add: if this is your first go at summer sausage you need to know; when you're done baking/smoking to correct internal temp you need to drop them in ice water to cool all the way through. Otherwise, that casing is gonna be a bitch to peel off when you slice it up.
Gotcha will do
I pretty much live on venison.

Heart;

Flat irons;

Looking good my man.....I need to take more pics like these and also learn more about butchery, different cuts and whatnot. I can't compete with what you got going there but here are a few...

Wyoming antelope. Keeping things as clean as realistically possible.

Small Montana whitetail buck. Wet aging in the fridge which isn't my first choice, but it works.

My favorite way to eat trout and about the only way I can really stomach smaller trout.....fish tacos over a campfire in the backcountry. I've been known to pop a grouse on the trail for the same reason.

I can't find pics, and it isn't glorious culinary but boiling pieces of moose or sheep tenderloin in a jetboil, then throwing it in with Mountain House at spike camp has a special charm....
We eat it all the.time. I killed my last buck this morning. One doe tag left.
Nice work!

Me too. "So that a veterinarian of some talent could revive it."
This year was warm so I actually butchered at camp…kinda. Cut up and bagged for trim and burger. The good straps and loins got put on ice until I got home and vac sealed them.

We’re going to get some sticks and polish made this season I think.

I have a decent amount to grind up. Typically we don’t mix the grind. But we bought a 1/4 of beef and some of it is kinda tough. So, we’re going to mix it with the grind.
Originally Posted by Buckstopper
Nice work!

Me too. "So that a veterinarian of some talent could revive it."

+2

-Ken

Personally, I've had good luck with a variety of sausage kits from a nearby Bass Pro. I've tried four different ones so far & the seasoning is pretty good & the casings come in the box. It's convenient & I've been pleased with the results. YMMV

Wouldn't say we live on it, but eat a lot of it. We like it. Hamburg, tenderloin, backstrap, and usually keep out a neck roast or 2 depending how many I get. Keep the hearts also when I can, we like them too.
Yeah, we eat it more than most other protein

Venison Stroganoff with Noodles, mashed potatoes, and corn. One of my favorite dinners.

Ron
Love it.
Pronghorn fajitas

Blackstrap ready for the grill.
Nothing like a nice rare venison steak.
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Venison Stroganoff with Noodles, mashed potatoes, and corn. One of my favorite dinners.

Ron
👍
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Yeah, we eat it more than most other protein

Wow.

Need to go down to the freezer….
Been married 10 years, wife is finally starting to accept that venison does NOT need to "have all the color cooked out of it" as her Momma taught her. Her Dad orders steak medium well also, so I guess it is genetic..... Non-mooing is my only requirement for beef, venison I started cutting a little thicker to make sure I don't overcook.
I give most of the deer away, donating the majority of it to Hunters Helping The Hungry. I used to give it to our church to be served at the Wednesday evening fellowship dinners, but some of the members complained that the deer weren't being processed by a professional butcher shop, so now they pay full retail for whatever meat they serve at those dinners.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I used to give it to our church to be served at the Wednesday evening fellowship dinners, but some of the members complained that the deer weren't being processed by a professional butcher shop, so now they pay full retail for whatever meat they serve at those dinners.

I regularly house sit for some friends who have a nice chicken coop & I would collect way too many organic eggs whenever they were out of town. So I would carton them up & bring them into the office to give away. But they would be different colors & sometimes have straw stuck to them. So my coworker told me her daughter saw them & said she "didn't want eggs from real chickens" anymore. grin

This made me laugh. I know what she meant in that she wanted the professionally processed, cleaned & sorted eggs from the grocery store. But my guess is that if she ever visited a commercial egg farm, she'd probably only want eggs from an converted playhouse in a backyard instead.
I was able to put 2 Kentucky whitetails in the freezer this year, a buck and a doe. After ice aging, I cut one of the deer into backstraps, tenderloins, hindquarter roasts, and ground the shoulders into burger. I always save the shanks whole, as they are my favorite cut. The other deer, I packaged the backstraps, tenderloins, and shanks and ground the rest. My family eats the heck out of ground meat in various ways: burgers, chili, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, etc.

My wife was originally reluctant to eat game meat, as it was not something they did in her family. She gradually came around to first eating burger mixed with beef burger 50/50, then to 100% deer burger, to now pretty much eating any of it.
Thank you !

We truly respect & are blessed by the protein we "harvest" & consume.
Thank you !

We truly respect & are blessed by the protein we "harvest" & consume.
Kudos 99's, always enjoy your posts and pics, especially food related! I'd be happy to dine with you anytime, in fact I'd have no problem inviting myself over.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I like venison with meticulous trimming and handling.

Rut venison sucks and it kills my motivation to kill mature bucks anywhere close to the rut anymore.

We eat 4-5 bucks a year. Roasts, streaks, and most importantly grind. I usually grind a whole buck or two and do 10-15% beef fat mix.

I figure we eat fish/game 5-6x a week. It might as well be good.

Truth !!!!

We're getting towards having enough ice !!

Soon will have fresh Walleye & Crappie, too !
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Heart;

Flat irons;

Looking good my man.....I need to take more pics like these and also learn more about butchery, different cuts and whatnot. I can't compete with what you got going there but here are a few...

Small Montana whitetail buck. Wet aging in the fridge which isn't my first choice, but it works.

My favorite way to eat trout and about the only way I can really stomach smaller trout.....fish tacos over a campfire in the backcountry. I've been known to pop a grouse on the trail for the same reason.

I can't find pics, and it isn't glorious culinary but boiling pieces of moose or sheep tenderloin in a jetboil, then throwing it in with Mountain House at spike camp has a special charm....

You live life to it's fullest, Ted.

Much respect !
Beautiful Timber' !!!!
Good eats, right there Ron !
Great options '6 !

I don't know why, but I started leaving the silverskin, on our back strap sections, before vacuum packing.

The theory "was", that it would be less likely to get freezer burn.

Trim off, after thawing, to cook.

I say "I don't know why", because the loins never last past a month or 2 !!

grin
Haha, anytime JG !
Yeah, big fan of our own eggs, vege garden & even have a bee hive, so honey too !
I prefer Venison to any kind of wild game, a pre rut Mule deer to be my personal favorite.

I see alot of folks using the vacuum sealers, I don't have one, I still use paper, I never have an issue with freezer burn even after a couple years.
Am I the only one who still uses paper? LOL
New 2 99s;
Good morning my cyber friend, I hope all is well as can be with you all out east.

Thanks for the thread and of course to all those who've participated, as you know it's a subject near and dear/deer to me.

It's been awhile since some of these went up so I'll do that and apologize for not having newer ones loaded into Rick's photo system.

This is an ancient upright freezer which a repair shop put a slightly too small compressor in and sold it as a giant beer fridge. We picked it up in '89 and it's still working now full of apples - which I need to take out and do something with this morning in fact. Since the photo, I've added two computer fans which mount on the bottom shelf in the door and they move the air inside "just right" so I can keep the bigger chunks for up to 10 days now.

[Linked Image]

Getting the airflow right has made a difference, as well as installing an inexpensive digital thermometer which tells me exact temps at a glance. As per Eileen and John's writings on the subject, I'm aiming at about 2° to 4°C.

A couple of 4 point mulie necks from days gone by. Both were the same age interestingly enough - but then there's lots of guys who ended up much larger than me, so that shouldn't be surprising I suppose? wink

[Linked Image]

We grind a bunch as my better half really likes burger for soups, stews and sauces.

If anyone is interested, here's how my late father in law converted some washing machine parts and a manual grinder into a powered one. Our in laws were visiting one fall and after watching me manually grind through a couple 5 gallon pails of moose burger for a friend, Seymour said to me, "When I go home, I'm taking your grinder along. I've got an idea and there just has to be a better way to do that!"... laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Because there's no bearings in a manual grinder, we'll want to drive it as close to perfectly straight on as possible. Once it's set up however its easy to keep it that way. We have numbered washers and shims which keep the grinder body where it needs to be.

Originally we set it up with a 4 arm Browning drive, but it'd eat at least one of the rubber drivers a year. After chatting with the industrial supply folks, I changed to a Lovejoy coupler. When I bought it, I bought a spare rubber insert and the chap at the desk said, "I'll sell it to you, but you're not going to live long enough to wear this one out". That was years ago and so far, he was right. grin

[Linked Image]

Before leaving the grinder, I'd say that about 60rpm is a good speed with a converted manual #22 grinder. As well I make up plastic thrust washers to install into the back of the meat auger so the plate can be really tightened down and it won't wear the parts unnecessarily.

Other stuff that makes the task so much easier if you're using paper is a paper and tape dispenser. My late father was helping me one evening and after watching me chase the paper roll around the bench for the umpteenth time, he too said, "There's got to be a better way than that Dwayne".

[Linked Image]

Honestly there's not a single time that I process an animal that I'm not reminded of my late Dad and Father in law, because of the useful tools they made up for us.

While I do have some food photos somewhere Paul, just where exactly they might be escapes me just now.

They'd not be of the same class as you folks' for sure, but all the above to say we very much love eating venison and miss it a bunch when we don't have at least one in the freezer for the year.

Oh, last thought on processing and cooking for now would be that for me a digital thermometer was a game changer too as far as an aid to not overcooking all sorts of stuff, but venison for sure.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by HCDH66
I was able to put 2 Kentucky whitetails in the freezer this year, a buck and a doe. After ice aging, I cut one of the deer into backstraps, tenderloins, hindquarter roasts, and ground the shoulders into burger. I always save the shanks whole, as they are my favorite cut. The other deer, I packaged the backstraps, tenderloins, and shanks and ground the rest. My family eats the heck out of ground meat in various ways: burgers, chili, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, etc.

My wife was originally reluctant to eat game meat, as it was not something they did in her family. She gradually came around to first eating burger mixed with beef burger 50/50, then to 100% deer burger, to now pretty much eating any of it.

Having the family involved, makes the conversion easier !!

Deb's pretty good at getting groceries, too !

Our daughter used to be vegetarian, when she was at College !!

Maybe it was just because of $$$$ !
Got a few friends, that still use paper & 1 is/was a butcher !

Don't need to fix something, that isn't broken, Mate !

**673, looks like Dwayne is a paper guy !!
Right on Dwayne !!

I'd forgotten your neat conversions !!

Awesome.
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Love canning some venison, we do about 10-15 quarts each year. Wife and I have been on a weight loss journey since March and have nearly eliminated processed foods from out doet, along with very few carbs. Hoping to create some new soups without potatoes/starches. Did a Moose/Green bean/mushroom soup/stew that came out awesome. Smoked a moose roast for a few hours, then let if cook in a crock pot till it fell apart. We've also been cooking the shanks in some broth low and slow for however ling it takes to fall apart, then shred everything up.

Yes Sir, shanks are delicious !!

smile
Right on Dwayne !!

I'd forgotten your neat conversions !!

Awesome.

Paul;
Thanks for the reply, but I can't take any credit for the designs on any of the builds.

My millwrighting tends towards gear boxes and in fact I'd picked one up for the job, but Seymour said he had a dead washing machine in his basement and an idea running around in his head, so of course I happily let him work it all out.

The "bearings" by the way on that thing are just plain old eastern oak which he took along from our place as well. I worked in the cabinet/furniture industry for more than a couple dozen years and was always dragging home bits and pieces from the off cuts. As an extension of that, I have dozens of cutting boards squirreled away which I give to new hunters starting out.

Anyways when I quizzed Seymour on the oak "bearings" he laughed as he replied, "Oh man Dwayne they worked for decades on threshing machines being driven by tractor flywheels! They'll work fine for you. Just give 'em a drop of mineral oil once in awhile and they'll outlast you"

If you look close at the second and third photos Paul, we can see the oil holes in the blocks and yah, so far they appear that they'll outlast me and maybe my kids too. Crazy how some of that old school stuff works.

Again, I'd have been obsessing over installing roller bearings into them Paul, you know, in front of the gear box.....

All the best.

Dwayne
Sorry, missed this one !

Well done, love it.

Stuffed sausage is the only thing, we're not set up for !

As stated elsewhere here, we eat the heck outta deer burger, & normally do in 40* of January.

Usually 2-3 batches, dependant on # of deer harmed !

Last years process;

Haha, she a bewt set up Mate !

Love it.
Wife doesn't care for venison whatsoever with one exception, Jerky[and only my jerky].

So I make jerky, and more jerky and then some more jerky and .....well you get the pitcher!

My old $29 Mr. Coffee dehydrator has dried at least #7-800 of venison over the 25 years.
I run it at work, I take it home and run it whilst we sleep.

Folks now expect it as Christmas gifts etc
We still use paper here. I tried a cheap vac packer when I was younger and single and it sucked. My wife grew up in a family where the girls were in charge of wrapping 2 elk and a beef every year so she’s pretty good at making nice neat packages.

She uses one layer of Saran Wrap followed by white butcher paper and we’ve eaten lost packages we find in the freezer that were 4-5 years old with no burn on them.

I’ve toyed with the idea of a chamber vac as I used one some at a fishing lodge years ago and it was pretty skookum. But it can’t possibly keep any better than the method we currently use and they’re an expensive piece of kit.
I love venison, if I cook it ...

I like the paper myself. But it's tough to argue the convenience of the vac seal. Especially, when you can do a bit at a time. Seal it and forget it.
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

Your soup looks great.

-Jake

Jake,

FYI - Eileen has a tasty looking venison barley soup recipe in the latest Rifle Loony News.

Rifles and Recipes

Yes, Eileen has some sensational recipes, as does Hank Shaw.
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I love venison, if I cook it ...

You sayin, I can't cook ??

wink
Originally Posted by tzone

I like the paper myself. But it's tough to argue the convenience of the vac seal. Especially, when you can do a bit at a time. Seal it and forget it.
I use both. No doubt the vac seal is more convenient and space-efficient in the freezer, but I think tightly wrapped freezer paper keeps freezer burn away longer. I’ve had paper-wrapped meat that got lost in the freezer that was still perfectly fine 5+ years later.
Great thread. It’s making me hungry!
smile
Did a frozen, hamstring (football) roast, in the instapot, 90 minutes under pressure, pulled, sauted the jus in the pot to thicken, then added back the pulled meat & let it all get reacquainted !

Oh, my word !
The insta pot is the schit👍
I don't take as many pictures these days, but here are a few.

Pronghorn buck trimmed yield with a single prairie oyster:
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Blade roast from the same buck:

A backstrap out of the largest-bodied deer I've seen. This was a corn-fed prairie mule deer, and the backstrap steaks were more mild and beef-like than any other deer I've eaten:

MD breakfast sausage, 50/50 with ground pork:

Bull moose tenderloins and some BS steaks:

Canned moose:

Moose smashburgers. Lean-to-fat ratio of 80/20, cut with beef brisket/striploin trim, cooked in bacon lard:
Bbq tenderloin and Burger King fries thx to a overturned tractor trailer on the mtn a few months ago😉😉
If you like Reuben’s/pastrami and aren’t making pastrami from venison you’re missing out. It’s super easy to do and very good.

Walton’s.

https://waltons.com/

If they don’t have it, you don’t need it. Casings to spices to mixes to knives to packaging to full blown ps king house equipment. Fast shipping too.

I use their “H” seasoning as my main summer sausage seasoning.

They’ve got a ton of “how to” videos on their web forum.
Originally Posted by 673
I see alot of folks using the vacuum sealers, I don't have one, I still use paper, I never have an issue with freezer burn even after a couple years.
Am I the only one who still uses paper? LOL

One layer of Saran Wrap and then a final in freezer paper. It’s a lot more forgiving of how it’s handled in the freezer than vacuum bags that can get pin holes.

I use my vacuum packer for my processed meats-sausage/jerky/pastrami. Everything else is wrapped by hand. I would like a chamber vac though but too cheap to buy it.

All my deer I freeze loins (cut in half or thirds depending on size), tenderloins both in one package, both eyes of round in one package, then each ham gets turned into top round, bottom round, and sirloin tip.

All remaining trim is ground for burger or sausage. Burger goes into the 1 lb poly bags.
The Saran wrap is a great tip!
Right on Jordan !!

Love it !

Originally Posted by Cheesy
If you like Reuben’s/pastrami and aren’t making pastrami from venison you’re missing out. It’s super easy to do and very good.

Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smoker is put away, but will do this for sure in the spring !
All my deer I freeze loins (cut in half or thirds depending on size), tenderloins both in one package, both eyes of round in one package, then each ham gets turned into top round, bottom round, and sirloin tip.

All remaining trim is ground for burger or sausage. Burger goes into the 1 lb poly bags.

Pretty much how I roll too, with the exception of keeping some shanks.

Oh, & we never freeze tenderloins or hearts, they are always eaten the week of the kill.
Braised & pulled neck roast tacos, don't suck !

grin
I'll raise my hand.
We go through about 3 a year, but even in Ga you'd be amazed and folks stills scared of it.
Smoked jalapeno cheddar MD smokies:

Homemade warm-smoked bacon:

Moose BS with a Bearnaise sauce, Yorkshire pudding, etc.:

Moose tenderloin, peas with cheese sauce, escargot, brown beans, sauteed mushrooms, mashed potatoes and gravy:

Moose ribs:

WT Sloppy Joes:

I use deli paper and then wrap in freezer paper. I've thought about a vacuum sealer but not this year. I do it all by myself now. My wife likes venison but my daughter doesn't (she is adopted). I'm not much of a cook other than grilling or breakfast. I like putting roasts in the crockpot with taters, carrots and onions and marinade steaks and tenderloin in cheap Italian dressing and grill them. My wife has used ground for things like stuffed peppers. I got cut a little short time wise and had no luck during rifle season. Should be able to get a couple during our late muzzleloader season.

That roast was about 2 and a half pounds.
Originally Posted by killerv
We go through about 3 a year, but even in Ga you'd be amazed and folks stills scared of it.

Crazy, Right !!
Yep, way to go there, Jordan !

If you think about it (deer meat), is so versatile, not to mention healthy !

Love crockpot, instapot or casserole pot roasts !

Good luck with the smokepole !
Originally Posted by killerv

What they oughta be afeard of is what they buy at Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly, especially the burger that comes in already ground.
I used to cut all my steaks/chops while processing but now leave the individual boned out pieces whole until I'm ready to cook. I just started saving the shanks whole for braising but haven't cooked any that way yet.

I also used to experiment more with marinades and various recipes, but anymore I tend to just brine overnight as a whole roast, give a light smoke on the pellet grill, sear in a cast iron pan, and slice into medallions to serve. A couple of recent cooks from this year's whitetails (backstrap and tenderloin):

I do enjoy some blue cheese crumbles on top of steaks as well as a little horseradish on the side...
NICE !!!
I love venison and so does my entire family, even the cat.
Hahahaha,

I digress, but butchering day, our dogs got plenty of scraps & bones.

Next day, Ivy (brown & white) was in her kennel, while we were at work.

Deb came home to this;

Ohfff. Thankfully I'm retired and that isn't an issue. The dogs were happy with today's kill too.
There will be lots of dog deer farts tonight. It's funny what makes me happy these days.
Venison - stew, meatballs, Goulash, jerky. maybe cutlets
Was on my own last night, Deb was at a work Christmas party, so went back to rustic roots !

A little riff on steak, eggs & fried taters ??
I’m making veni stew today.
I have started taking the neck whole, and smoking it for 4 hours. then into the crock pot for another 4 hours. all bones pull out easily. makes fantastic shredded taco's.
Sign me up 99. I love good venison and shot a small buck this year without much time to hunt just to eat the it.
Originally Posted by bluefish
I’m making veni stew today.

smile
Originally Posted by Lorin
I have started taking the neck whole, and smoking it for 4 hours. then into the crock pot for another 4 hours. all bones pull out easily. makes fantastic shredded taco's.

Yep, kept both necks, 1 I had started to trim a little, before changing my mind.

Original thought was for deer barley soup, but ...................

wink
Right on, small is tender & tasty, right !!
Originally Posted by JakeM78
There will be lots of dog deer farts tonight. It's funny what makes me happy these days.

Hahaha, right on Mate !

Feel free to hang a pic, deer, dogs or both !
We eat venison didn’t get drawn this year so slowed down eating the one we have,to make it last a bit
Generally I take straps, tenderloin and heart whole, everything else is turned into sausage.

That looks freaking delicious! I'm going to have to give that a try.
I've tried cooking it different ways, never had a piece I would call tender. I eat it but not crazy about it. Some meatball and chili dishes with it are passable though.
I harvested a Black Bear in Virginia last week and could use a recipe for cooking a roast .

Originally Posted by killahog
I harvested a Black Bear in Virginia last week and could use a recipe for cooking a roast .

Crock pot is the way👍
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Heart;

Flat irons;

That's a cool axe T_Inman, what is it?

Thanks.

Frank
Deb filled Doug's buck tag Saturday evening !

So, 3/3 !!

Gutted & hanging in the shop, hide on this time as we are finally getting some cold !

Back strap & scallops, last night;

smile

So, 3/3 !!

Gutted & hanging in the shop, hide on this time as we are finally getting some cold !

smile

That's one happy hunter. Congratulations to her.

Frank

So, 3/3 !!

smile
You guys are killing it this year. Congrats!
We eat a lot of venison and fish.
Friday morning Hot deer sausage with eggs etc. for breakfast, Saturday same for bf. Saturday night venison chili with beans (dark red, light red kidney beans and black beans)over tortilla chips with sharp cheddar and sour cream.
I'll finish off the chili for lunch today.
Supper tonight, grilled Mahi steaks, baked sweet potatoes and something I havn't figured out yet. Maybe steamed Brussel sprouts. IDK
Thanks Frank !

I'll let her know.
Thanks Mate, first time in 4 years, we've filled 3 tags !!
Alright !

We can't do the surf & turf thing, here.

Have to settle for "land & lake" !!

grin

So, 3/3 !!

smile
👍👍👍
This guy 🙋‍♂️
Originally Posted by SmokeMedic21

That looks freaking delicious! I'm going to have to give that a try.

Got 6 lbs curing for smoking Thursday.

what gas stations are open in my area
Those steaks even look tender. Mine never look like that. Maybe it's the aging thing? Mine don't hang too long usually due to weather. Although unusual, was almost 60 last 2 days of the season here. Mine are usually cut and wrapped within a day or so.
We often get temps to high to hang deer for extended periods of time here too. In fact I’d say it’s the norm.

We keep an old refrigerator in the garage and use it to “hang” quarters. The rest of the year it stays full of drinks or extra food before gettogethers. Pretty handy to not have to scramble to cut up meat when it’s still season and you have tags to fill.
We do

Attached picture Venison_Wellington Small.jpeg

So, 3/3 !!

smile

My word what a photo and what a Wife. So when she’s done with you please put me on the list

Rick
Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
We do

Details on how you did that one, please?
Venison Wellington. Buy or make some puff pastry (butter and flour, essentially). Season and sear the loin just a touch. I made pate out of the deer's liver (find a recipe that uses reduced brandy), put down a layer of that on the pastry first, then the loin. Spread some grainy mustard on top if you like that sort of thing (I do). If you have some morels, they go nicely in the top layer, which is duxelles. Wrap it up, egg wash it, and cook in a hot oven to brown pastry without overcooking the meat. Maybe a little sauce on the side. Kind of elaborate, but I usually do it once a season. Nice for special occasions.
Mmmm !!

Back straps, for pastrami ?
Definitely tender & tasty !
We do

[Linked Image]

Beautiful !
Oh, I know I out kicked my coverage & am truly blessed.

As an aside, everybody loves dogs, right ?

Ours were both in the house while we gutted & hung the deer.

Came in to this;

laugh

Lil shytes !

grin
Mmmm !!

Back straps, for pastrami ?

Sometimes even for jerky....
Hahahaha, good enough !!!
Thank you, sir!

Couldn't agree more that NW Ontario is heavenly. Been looking forward to trips here since I was a HS freshman: https://fishblackbear.com

How far are you?
Browsing through old photos...

Attached picture Another_Wellington Medium.jpeg
Sure like this recipe.

Attached picture Yet_Another_Wellington Small.jpeg
Don't sleep on this one: https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/venison-heart-burgundy-style-recipe/347498
We’ve got three in the freezer now, and a bit leftover from last year, so no beef this year for certain. We’ve also done pretty well on the stocked trout at the IWLA lake and are getting our fish oil straight from the source. Those are sure easier to drag home than the deer.

Decided to try the trout roe since the last batch were pretty full. Well I didn’t die, but it’s not something I want to continue with. I’ll stick with the canned herring roe in my eggs, when it can be found, which ain’t often since it became rich-folks grub.
Thank you, sir!

Couldn't agree more that NW Ontario is heavenly. Been looking forward to trips here since I was a HS freshman: https://fishblackbear.com

How far are you?

Roughly 2 hours south.

Our home is in Eagle River, Minnitaki, about 30 minutes east of Vermilion Bay/Hwy 105 turn off & our business is in Dryden.

Mmmm, just happen to have a heart in the fridge !

I did promise it to Doug though, as it was his tag.

Bugger !
Pappy, I wonder if it would take smoke ?

Ate lots of smoked mullet roe, growing up in Australia !

Prep for tonights dinner;

Trying to decide noodles or rice ?
Looks good - is that a curry sauce? If so, I'd probably do rice. If more of a stroganoff, maybe noodles...
Stroganoff / Hungarian goulash hybrid !!
Go online and find a recipe for Corning it. Basically pickling spices but a little different. Smoke it and finish roasting it to 160 degrees or cook it like a boiled diner corned beef brisket.
Plated, it was delicious !

Truly comfort food.
New_2_99s - you sure have the vittles locked-in.

It all looks great.
Thanks Scott !

We do love making the best, of our rural circumstances.

Good for the body, mind & soul !
All looks good. Just had deer liver and onions for lunch today from a doe I killed last Saturday. Excellent. Sometimes deer liver can be strong, this one was really good. Sautee onions in butter until getting soft, remove, add some more butter and put in slices of liver that was patted dry and dusted with flour with salt/pepper added. Let sit until browned on medium heat, flip and do the other side the same. Turn heat down some and add onions back in and let cook a little more. Just so there's pink inside. Very tender and tastey.

Sides were applesauce and beets we canned. Dessert was what was leftovers from french toast that my wife made this morning with her homemade bread. Very good meal. Deer liver....natures multi-vitamin.
Forgot to add......on deer liver we soak the slices in milk overnight then drain and put back in the fridge until ready to pat dry to cook. If a liver is strong that helps draw some of that out and neutralize it, don't know, but works for us.
Righteous !!
I made a bunch of batches of venison barley soup and used my vacuum sealer to freeze it into multiple portion bags. I'm heading to the deer lease today and will bring some for me and the rancher.
Classic burger. Usually just salt and pepper, and sometimes dry Italian seasoning mixed in. Don't remember how this one was.

Backstrap with buttered noodles and wet salad.

Backstrap with noodles/mushrooms and alfredo sauce with side salad.

Wife makes killer spicy homemade meatballs mixed with pork sausage. I forget what sauce and cheese she drizzles over them. Good!

Makes for an excellent meatball sandwich over her homemade bread and with our canned pizza sauce.

Or in Italian wedding soup.

Moose smashburgers yesterday and moose and cocoa chili today. Life is good.
Elk round steak with potatoes, carrots and onions tonight.

The day before we had a rice and vegetable dish with elk hamburger.

A few days ago we had antelope steaks.
When prepared right like many above have posted. It's pretty hard to beat. Years ago I experienced the venison game taste that I hope I never do again. Today as we've learned more and with today's added spices and preparations it's fantastic. Give me a well prepared steak from the smoker and get outta the way! LOL!

HS 58
Fine meals there, Fella !
Beauty Jordan !
Limited to Moose, bear & WT here, but we get by !

Haven't applied for Moose since the MNR changed the draw system in 2015.
Perfect cook, as per your usual !

Helped Doug butcher his buck, so he treated us to supper !

Kid can cook, too !
Great thread. I am learning to cook venison. Always ate it fried, or burger, or sausage growing up. But the last few years, I decided I didn’t care for burger so I have been looking for better ways to prepare it. I made some fajitas with it the other might and cooked some tenderloin wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cream cheese the other night. Was good. I regret ever having burger made from the good cuts. Ha
Years ago we used to grind and blend a huge percentage of our animals. A friend of mine said he and his family didn’t grind anything during butchering. He would cut all the roasts and good steaks the way they liked them and everything else got chunked and frozen. They would thaw a package of trim meat and run it through the grinder attachment on the KitchenAid that sat on the counter. His reasoning was that it was easier and more versatile, you can make fajitas or grind for a burger with chunks of meat but you can’t reconstitute burger to make a pan of fajitas.

We started doing it that way and really prefer it. We rarely eat a burger and have come to prefer tacos, soups, and dishes like stroganoff with small cubes of meat as opposed to ground.

Of course I did get the grinder out and grind almost an entire deer this year. My wife shot a 9 year old buck that was leather tough so I made pastrami out of the loins and we ground the remainder. The steaks the boy and I tried off the loin were as tough as anything I’ve ever chewed on so it was the exception for us.
while packing Doug's deer meat, in the shop freezer, I found 2lbs of deer burger, we didn't know we still had.

Bonus !

grin
while packing Doug's deer meat, in the shop freezer, I found 2lbs of deer burger, we didn't know we still had.

Bonus !

grin

So you packed Doug’s meat?
laugh
Originally Posted by TheKid
Of course I did get the grinder out and grind almost an entire deer this year. My wife shot a 9 year old buck that was leather tough so I made pastrami out of the loins and we ground the remainder. The steaks the boy and I tried off the loin were as tough as anything I’ve ever chewed on so it was the exception for us.

That's where a small can of pineapple juice in the marinade comes in. I read one of Godogs57's post about the pineapple juice and, damn, it is a great tenderizer.
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by TheKid

That's where a small can of pineapple juice in the marinade comes in. I read one of Godogs57's post about the pineapple juice and, damn, it is a great tenderizer.

Got a link to the full recipe? Or text me smile
Ate pan fried cube steak smothered in gravy tonight.....It was delicious............BTW on those older deer. If you hang them in the cooler for a week before processing you'll be surprised how tender they can get........I have my own cooler/grinder/cuber. I process my own.
This is a venison French rack, my son does these up for Christmas Eve supper.
Totally superb!
Cat
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Totally superb!
Cat

Interesting. How does he get that cut exactly? No butcher and I normally cut out the blackstraps and tenderloins separately and don’t do a lot with the ribs. That looks damn good and worth the foresight to make a different cut.
Totally superb!
Cat
I’m lukewarm about venison but that looks awesome.
I and my family really like venison, and now antelope too. Most people who don't like venison have eaten venison that wasn't taken care of properly after the kill and or was not cooked properly. I make our venison med rare and it is tender and delicious. I also have my butcher hang my deer for 5 or 6 days before he butchers it. If I didn't like venison I would not hunt deer.
Why even hunt if you don’t eat it? Serves no purpose otherwise.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Totally superb!
Cat
I’m lukewarm about venison but that looks awesome.

Must be democRat
Just had a venison burger omelet, cheese grits and wheat toast
Fixing to have venison sausage with breakfast if I can get off my backside and cook.
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
I and my family really like venison, and now antelope too. Most people who don't like venison have eaten venison that wasn't taken care of properly after the kill and or was not cooked properly. I make our venison med rare and it is tender and delicious. I also have my butcher hang my deer for 5 or 6 days before he butchers it. If I didn't like venison I would not hunt deer.

Righteous Old fella !!

So much truth there.
Vac packed the 3rd deer;

Mongolian deer;

Deer stroganoff;

Stuffed peppers;

Totally superb!
Cat

BOOM, Cat !!
Sometimes I don't use the game I kill myself, but give it to others who need or want it. A sin for some of you clowns I suppose. But I have done it for over 60 years and will continue.
Elk, deer and antelope, for us and the dogs.
You're good with me Hazen !

You & I go aways back !

smile
Thanks, 99. I used to give several antelope each year to an old couple who really probably had very little money. I had them skinned, ready to process when they were ready. They would tell me in early summer how many packages they had left till next season. I would always get a couple doe license for them. They are long gone now with most of my old timer friends. Now I guess I am the old timer, but fortunately, I can still get out and fill the freezer. Thanks again 99.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Sometimes I don't use the game I kill myself, but give it to others who need or want it. A sin for some of you clowns I suppose. But I have done it for over 60 years and will continue.
How I used to be.

Bud and I killed 18 deer one season. Towards the end I was giving them to a guy who had a bunch of kids and little $$.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
How I used to be.

Bud and I killed 18 deer one season. Towards the end I was giving them to a guy who had a bunch of kids and little $$.

Nothing wrong with that. That's pretty darned American.
PA has a program called hunters sharing the harvest. It alows hunters to donate deer to the program in conjunction with butcher shops that partivipate in the program, The hunters pays a small butcher fee and the butcher cuts and wraps the meat and gives it to the program who distributes the meat to the needy. When I was still on the job I had a list of needy folks that I would give road killed deer that were not very damaged and illegally taken and confiscated venison to. At one point in time I would give road kills crop damaged killed deer to the county prison. They were handy in the summer when deer did not last long without refrigeration and they were open 24 hours, I would pull up to the gate and announce game officer with a deer in to thespeaker on the wall and the outside gate would open, I would drive in and it would cose and the inside barbed wire gate would open and I went in. They would send prisoners out to get the deer and skin it and take it to the galley. The prisoners would be cheering out the windows because they like the venison. The prison ground most of it because they could make man meals out of ground meat. There came a time when there was a problem on an army base in the area and they had too many deer on the area and regular hunting could not be done so sharpshooters were going to reduce the herd . I got a call asking me how many deer I could get ris of. I called the prison warden and asked him how many deer he could handle. He aske me to come to his office. I did and he sadly told me that labor and industry had come into the prison to do an inspection and found over 100 lbs of meat labled venison. The told him they could not feed meat that was not government inspected to the prisoners, he apoligised and said he was not allowed to take deer any longer. Our goverment at work!
PA has a program called hunters feeding the hungry. It alows hunters to donate deer to the program in conjunction with butcher shops that partivipate in the program, The hunters pays a small butcher fee and the butcher cuts and wraps the meat and gives it to the program who distributes the meat to the needy.
We have that, Share the Harvest here.

The folk I give em to get the field dressed only.

They would take them with guts in them if that's how I brought them. They're just grateful to have free meat.
I mispoke, our progrtam is actually called hunters sharing the harvest as well. Brain fart on my part. I fixed my op.
Excellent.
OK, what to do with a bunch of leftover, stuffed pepper filling ?

Worked like a charm smile

Food should always be good, but doesn't always have to be fancy !
Lotta good pics on this thread. I need to cook some venison for dinner tonight!

Sounds like Friday lunch at school. Sloppy Joe's on Thursday then they made em into pizza on a bun for Friday.
I have it on good authority that 2 yr old backstrap in the freezer is every bit as good as 2 day old backstrap! We were organizing our freezer last wk and ran across a couple 2021 loin packs that somehow got missed. Grilled a chunk up for lunch the other day. I told my wife that's as good as food as you'll find anywhere in the world, and her comment was I'd serve that to a king. It was ridiculously good.

Not a good picture as I didn't think to take any after it came off the grill and before it got sliced up, but my half on a plate.

That is true if it is vacume packed!
That is true if it is vacume packed!

Not vacuum packed. We wrap in saran wrap, then freezer paper. Silver skin is always left on as extra protection. Filet the silver skin off when preparing.

When making on the grill I usually season with course salt and pepper both sides, coat good with olive oil, or let sit in the fridge with olive oil if I've got time. Get grill good and hot, 5 minutes on 1 side, 4 minutes on the other, turn the heat down to medium or just under, and move to top rack with the lid closed for 5-7 minutes depending how thick the chunk is. Take it off the grill right into foil and wrap it up. Let sit for a couple minutes before slicing up. That'll get it close to being cooked every time the way we like it.
Thanks for the grilling tips ShadeTree!
Originally Posted by kenacp
Thanks for the grilling tips ShadeTree!

Yes sir. You can adjust those times to your preferences of how you like it cooked, but that'll get you close. I have a gauge on my grill and run it on high with the lid closed and get it up to around 600 degrees before opening the lid and searing on both sides at the time stated above. On my grill, closing the lid and turning the heat down to just below medium will run the heat about 450 for the 5-7 minutes that it finishes off on the top rack.
Right on Mate, that looks great !!
No Venni repertoire is complete, without ..............................

grin
I gain weight every time Paul puts pictures up........stop it. grin
Originally Posted by brinky72
Totally superb!
Cat

Interesting. How does he get that cut exactly? No butcher and I normally cut out the blackstraps and tenderloins separately and don’t do a lot with the ribs. That looks damn good and worth the foresight to make a different cut.
I don't know , I bone everything out myself, this is something he learned on his own - I think he learned of the Bearded Butcher Yutube channel LOL
Cat
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Sounds like Friday lunch at school. Sloppy Joe's on Thursday then they made em into pizza on a bun for Friday.

Haha, Brian, yep, can't waste good leftovers !!

95% of our lunches, are last nights leftovers.
I like mine a little rarer than most.

This is in the slow cooker, as I type;

Pics, tomorrow.
Cool. That looks like a good one for the slow-cooker. Any notes on rough portions/amounts for the recipe would be nice.
Brown shanks well on all sides in a hot skillet

1 cup dry red wine
1 cup beef broth
1 TBSP rosemary
2 tsp thyme
Splash red wine vinegar
1/4 cup "W" sauce

+ everything else you see

10 hours on low.

Orange zest, 1 clove raw garlic & bunch of chopped parsley (Gremolata), to serve.

Serve over mashed taters, or cauliflower or parsnip puree.
Appreciate it!
Brown shanks well on all sides in a hot skillet

1 cup dry red wine
1 cup beef broth
1 TBSP rosemary
2 tsp thyme
Splash red wine vinegar
1/4 cup "W" sauce

+ everything else you see

10 hours on low.

Orange zest, 1 clove raw garlic & bunch of chopped parsley (Gremolata), to serve.

Serve over mashed taters, or cauliflower or parsnip puree.
Another excellent variation:
https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/braised-shanks-osso-bucco-recipe

Also good over polenta.
For years took deer to the processor and was always kind of indifferent about venison. After buying a grinder and doing my own processing it has been a game changer. Only get sausage from the processor now.
Decided to serve over wild rice blend, steamed in pho broth;

smile
Totally superb!
Cat
That looks SO GOOD!!
Made the fajita meat again the other night. Got pics before i mixed it. I wanted taco salad but the store didn’t have any of the shells so I improvised with pie crust, added a little spanish rice and some queso. Was quite a tasty mess. 😁

Attached picture 7BE5F674-E484-42D5-975D-FCF227B7EE34.jpeg
Attached picture 58E1B2FB-4233-4B64-BB52-39C3AF51A666.jpeg
Attached picture C7CF2895-059B-4960-8E0C-49D6665E1424.jpeg
Originally Posted by LightninHopkins

Eggs were designed to be eaten with a fork, not inhaled through a straw.
As for the meat, a good doctor would have that walking in the paddock next week. Totally defies the term "cooked".
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

As for the meat, a good doctor would have that walking in the paddock next week. Totally defies the term "cooked".
It all looks perfectly fine to me.
Deb's famous, homemade deer burger helper !

smile
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Chefs call that meat blue, under cooked, it is not rare, it needed more time to, be considered rare.
Cubed some backstrap and browned it with some onion and gravy and ate it over rice for dinner. Was pretty darn tasty.

Attached picture 765B2AEF-4B17-42A4-9675-2413EEB0E616.jpeg
Deb's famous, homemade deer burger helper !

smile
🤤🤤🤤
Well, with the weather turning brutal, ..............

smile
Some good looking venison meals.
Looking good 99. I've done the pork bit mixed in my hamburg like you do, and there isn't a thing wrong with it, I like it, but I've gone back to just adding straight beef fat for grease. 10-15% doesn't seem to matter, still good. This yr I went with 10%

I have a local butcher shop close enough that I can look across the valley where I live and see their shop. I cut my own deer up and take the tub of meat back to them and they grind it twice and hand it back. For what they charge and how quick it is, I can't mess with grinding my own. Still my own venison fussed over how I like, but let them grind it.
now I'm hungry that looks awesome and delicious!!!! way do go Deb!!!!!!!!
Yeah, that makes perfect sense !

I usually do mine in the deep winter, when it's so cold, I can't even think about going ice fishing (or anything else outside) !
99, looking back a couple pages, that deer your boy Doug killed, doesn't necessarily look like an old deer just based on the rack, but man that thing looks big hanging there. You weigh your deer often? If so, what do they run at dressed? That rascal looks big from here.
Sorry mate, never weighed them !
Sorry mate, never weighed them !

Well then without evidence otherwise, I'm gonna say at least 300! Ha! No, seriously though those are some stout looking deer up there in the far North. Impressive.
Yes, our deer are, typically, large bodied, but not necessarily huge antlers - Bush bucks.

Here is a couple off heavy bucks !

Best rack;

Biggest body;

Yes, our deer are, typically, large bodied, but not necessarily huge antlers - Bush bucks.

Here is a couple off heavy bucks !

Best rack;

Biggest body;

Extreme cold temps have energy focused on body fat vs antler size.

I also bet some of those antlers would appear larger if they were on a smaller bodied deer.
Truth Brian !
Usually put 3 deer in the freezer, decided to get another doe tag for the January doe season and make some summer sausage later on. Got the doe hanging last week, then the cold spell hit. It's been below zero for several nights with highs in single digits. May be awhile before I can cut up and grind that meat.
Smoked venison meatloaf ain't half bad......This particular one happens to be Axis venison.

Right on, JG !

2 thumbs up.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Smoked venison meatloaf ain't half bad......This particular one happens to be Axis venison.

Looks great JG
Just had venison tacos for lunch
Not recent, but a picture I kept from last yr I believe. Young deer that I kept some hindquarter steaks out of. I grilled them and my wife made some very good scallops for a surf and turf meal.

Great looking dinner, right there !!
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Just had venison tacos for lunch

You know the drill ?

Pics, or it didn't happen !

grin
I prefer venison to most meats, just cut out the fat. I had a total of 50 foster kids. The state paid zip for the upkeep of those kids. I had 6 in the house at one time, plus three of my kids, wife, brother-in-law and mother-in-law. I shot 6 does one year and we had venison until nearly summer. My mother-in-law bought some beef. For dinner that night my wife made a fuss. "Oh yech, this is some of that venison you're always trying to feed us."
My mother-in-law had the biggest laugh over that. "You've been eating venison every supper since early November, this is the first beef you've had in over 6 months. My wife didn't reply.
Never a good idea to open this thread on an empty stomach.

Tasty lookin' vittles.
Thanks Scott !!

Got deer & vege/barley soup coming tonight !

Deb made it last night, from a top round muscle.

Mmm, + a couple slices of texas toast.

wink

grin
My wife's version of Haluski with deer burger. Good stuff.

Sub zero temps, so I just made a big pot of venison spaghetti.
Had to look that 1 up !!

Thank you, adding to failing storage system !

Love trying new things.
Right on Dean !
Had this about 10 days ago. Can't get any simpler to make. Deer neck roast in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, and onions. Salt and pepper both sides, cut up vegetables, little bit of water and broth. 4 hrs on high, and about 20 minutes or so turned down on low. Pull apart fork tender. Delicious.

Great looking chow fellas!
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

AWESOME MATE !

Got 3, still on the bone, in the freezer !
& in case anybody is wondering, I encourage all to throw up cooks / plates, just like I do in my fishing season threads !

(Freshwater fishing forum - Usually an open water & hard water thread each year)

Great for ideas & learning !

smile
My wife and I try to make it a point to eat chicken, pork or some kind of seafood once a week, just as a break from venison.
Originally Posted by Bugger
I prefer venison to most meats, just cut out the fat. I had a total of 50 foster kids. The state paid zip for the upkeep of those kids. I had 6 in the house at one time, plus three of my kids, wife, brother-in-law and mother-in-law. I shot 6 does one year and we had venison until nearly summer. My mother-in-law bought some beef. For dinner that night my wife made a fuss. "Oh yech, this is some of that venison you're always trying to feed us."
My mother-in-law had the biggest laugh over that. "You've been eating venison every supper since early November, this is the first beef you've had in over 6 months. My wife didn't reply.

My wife's a social worker in the foster care business. All I can say is God Bless you sir! We need more men with a heart like yours.
I am one that will not kill something if I ain't going to eat it , some reptiles don't get eat but a lot do

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Bugger

My wife's a social worker in the foster care business. All I can say is God Bless you sir! We need more men with a heart like yours.

TRUTH ^^^^^^^

Thank you, Bugger !
I like venison but did my deer up a bit different this year as I had some moose in the freezer already.

I cut chops off the backs. The hinds will go into jerky and all the rest went into sausage. The sausage is a very flexible way to do it. We use it for breakfast with eggs, supper off the grill, in chili and spaghetti sauce, with pasta, etc etc.

Looks Professionally done SuperCub, good job!
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I like venison but did my deer up a bit different this year as I had some moose in the freezer already.

I cut chops off the backs. The hinds will go into jerky and all the rest went into sausage. The sausage is a very flexible way to do it. We use it for breakfast with eggs, supper off the grill, in chili and spaghetti sauce, with pasta, etc etc.

What sausage recipe did you use?

I did the same this year. Straps and hinds into jerky, and the rest into chorizo, jalapeno/cheddar smokies, and honey garlic snack sticks.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I have limited taste and smell now so just went with a basic mild Italian seasoning for the whole batch. It's middle of the road for everyone and half of the sausage was going to my hunting pard who doesn't like it too spicey. If I want it hotter, I can always apply some hot sauce. smile

Originally Posted by KillerBee

Thanks .... Making sausage is not really that hard with the right tools. I was a meat cutter in my past working life, so that helps as well.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I have limited taste and smell now so just went with a basic mild Italian seasoning for the whole batch. It's middle of the road for everyone and half of the sausage was going to my hunting pard who doesn't like it too spicey. If I want it hotter, I can always apply some hot sauce. smile

Originally Posted by KillerBee

Thanks .... Making sausage is not really that hard with the right tools. I was a meat cutter in my past working life, so that helps as well.
Thanks. I still have some remnants of the 40 lbs of mild Italian I made last year. I agree that it's a nice, middle-of-the-road sausage.
We did the same thing this year. My cousin and I raised a few hogs for pork chops, bacon and ham steaks. We kept all of the sausage trimmings and decided to mix it with deer this year. Ended up doing a 100lb's of sausage.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

In the smokehouse.

We taste tested a few of the batches as we went along. It was a long 1st day of processing and the next day took a few hours to cut and package.

Man, does it make great breakfast sammiches!

Wife made a zita with a pile of sausage and what a darn hit that was as well. Overall, it was a great way to clean out the freezer from trimmings and have great food that is there, ready to cook!
Sometimes I feel I pale in comparison... LOL! But here's the venison spaghetti with Pene noodles (what my wife likes), a crock pot venison stew, and my favorite liquid to wash it down with...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sometimes I feel I pale in comparison... LOL! But here's the venison spaghetti with Pene noodles (what my wife likes), a crock pot venison stew, and my favorite liquid to wash it down with...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ain't nothing wrong with that chow!
I have 3 pounds of ground venison left. Putting together an ingredients list for some chili. Can't handle too spicy anymore, so mild chilis it is!

Sometimes I feel I pale in comparison... LOL! But here's the venison spaghetti with Pene noodles

My wife makes that, but substitutes the ground meat with cut up sausage. Big hit here, esp on a cold winter night.
Thumbs up Scott !!

Looking good.
Dean,

That all looks really good to me.

My motto/mantra is;

Food doesn't always have to look good, but should always taste good !
Originally Posted by beretzs

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ain't nothing wrong with that chow!

RIGHT !
What you got for temps, at the moment Paul ?

We're in a week of around -30*C ambient & cutting -40*C, with wind chill.

Definitely hearty, comfort food weather !
Sometimes I feel I pale in comparison... LOL! But here's the venison spaghetti with Pene noodles

My wife makes that, but substitutes the ground meat with cut up sausage. Big hit here, esp on a cold winter night.

Same here.

I don't really save any venison for burger. Anything that isn't a "cut" goes for jerky or kielbasa.

Usually we smoke it in early spring, this year I have enough for about 100 rings. Should be plenty for the year.
Originally Posted by keystoneben

Same here.

I don't really save any venison for burger. Anything that isn't a "cut" goes for jerky or kielbasa.

Usually we smoke it in early spring, this year I have enough for about 100 rings. Should be plenty for the year.

Never done kielbasa.. That I could like a bunch as well.
Some of the best non-ungulate meat I've
had was when the gates were flung open at
an emu ranch by a friend's place during the
boom/bust of raising emus.
They were running around wild for a few
months and more than a few were the guest
of honor for a few suppers.
Makes really tasty spaghetti and a good
hamburger

I know of a few people that hunt every year
and pay the money for processing their deer,
only to have it sit in the freezer for months on
end until they get tired of moving it around to
make room for the hot pockets and red barron
pizzas and toss it if it's old, or give it away

It's a sin
Around here, everyone has their own kielbasa recipe. Some people are pretty protective of theirs. I like a strong smoke flavor and not to much fat. My favorite is just sliced thin and cooked over a campfire.
Around here, everyone has their own kielbasa recipe. Some people are pretty protective of theirs. I like a strong smoke flavor and not to much fat. My favorite is just sliced thin and cooked over a campfire.

If you have a method or recipe you'd care to share, I'd be all ears Ben. I love the stuff.
No problem, i'll find it.
No problem, i'll find it.

Thank you Ben!
Love the sharing & caring, Fellas !

To me, that's part of why I started this thread.

Thank you.
Cabbage home grown by a family at our church, home made loaded mashed taters, and deer sausage for Sunday lunch.

Attached picture 9EE2C827-9B1E-40C3-9365-876F8814141B.jpeg
Nice !
Saturday supper, only things on the plate, not off our land, are the broccoli & mushrooms !

Looks delicious!
i have been saving my back straps these days for shish ke-bobs and vegetables on the grill on skewers i use vinaigrette dressing the venison back straps tender meat really takes seasoning well .
Some delicious looking eats here!!!

My family loves eating venison. We never buy beef, but eat wild game year round. My kids get excited on venison steak night. A couple years ago, I took my youngest and middle one camping. Decided to go all out an buy some premium beef steaks and grill them at camp. My kids aren't usually picky eaters, so after getting on them for picking at their steaks for 20 mins, my 10 year old daughter finally looks up, very sincerely and says "We're just not beef kids dad".... Talk about a proud dad moment!!!! LOL
Yeah, that's priceless !
Hunting in a five deer county where the ranch manages numbers pretty hard, we make a good bit of ground venison. Anywhere from 80/20 to 70/30 mix of straight venison and some beef fat. I know a lot guys may call that sacreligious but it’s what makes the whole family happy, my chief cook especially.

Of course chicken fried backstrap is always king.
I’ve done a few roasts but I gotta be careful with those, they can be dry.
Deconstructed tacos !!

smile

Deer burger stroganoff;

Served on Deb's focaccia, SOS style !

Tastes way better, than it looks !

wink

Deer burger stroganoff;

Served on Deb's focaccia, SOS style !

Tastes way better, than it looks !

wink

Yeah stroganoff doesn't necessarily look good, but it is. I have a picture I didn't put up for that very reason. Wife made this with pieces of backstrap fried up, sautéed some mushrooms then made her gravy and added peas, and cooked it down. Had this over buttered noodles. Good stuff.

This was Sunday's dinner. Wife made venison meat loaf with a big pan of cheesy scalloped potatoes. I like buttered peas so that was a side dish along with cranberry salad. Was really good and even better warmed up today for lunch.

I love cold meatloaf sandwiches !!!
Gotta agree with 99 on the meatloaf sandwich. When I was farming I got to the point of not even including a sandwich in the lunchbox unless it was meatloaf. The smell of the others made me gag. Edk
This backstrap section was from the neck end, more chain meat & different grains, so cooked it rarer than normal !

Deb had the medium rare ends & I had the almost blue, center.

Seasoned with salt only & hard seared & rested.

Marvelously delicious.
Holy crap 99.... That is amazing looking.
Thanks Scott, may have been some drooling, involved !

smile
Moose burger, elk tenderloin…

Awesome Shrap !!
Deer burgers - feta chunks, chopped parsley & chili flakes, no other binders.

Caramelized onions & mushrooms, finished with seeded mustard & balsamic glaze.

Nice multigrain ciabatta bun.

Perfect cook.

They were excellent.
Holy smokes 99.. I'll be trying that with some elk burgers quick like! Damn!
Some good looking meals on here. I love venison. Such a good meat when properly cared for from field to table.
Yep, that for sure, is the key !
Used the last of the pulled deer neck roast, for nachos !

smile
My wife usually cooks it in the crock pot with apples, onions and various spices. She will let it cook overnight. I asked her to please put the crock pot in the garage to cook. If I get a whiff of it in the bedroom while I'm sleeping I will be awake the rest of the night. These photos are incredible. Going to try some of this. Thanks for sharing. 😁👍
Couple from the weekend !

Cottage pie;

Deer burger soup;

grin
New 2 99's: "Eating venison" is a driving force for me. In fact I have grown to LOVE the wonderful taste of alfalfa fed Whitetailed Deer venison (where in my prior Hunting I had concentrated more on Mule Deer).
Your pictures are making me hungry.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
This backstrap section was from the neck end, more chain meat & different grains, so cooked it rarer than normal !

Deb had the medium rare ends & I had the almost blue, center.

Seasoned with salt only & hard seared & rested.

Marvelously delicious.

Heavens, a good doctor would have that walking in the paddock next week. Haven't you ever heard the term "cooked"? Lol
My favorite is pretty simple, loin or tenderloin rubbed with olive oil, seasoned and grilled to med rare. Right now I have this meatloaf in the pellet grill, 2/3 venison 1/3 ground pork with a couple diced jalapenos, onion, some blue cheese mixed in. Not sure it'll be a favorite but I'm sure it'll be good!

Yep !!!

Mmm, love me some, cold, next day meatloaf sandwiches !
Yep !!!

Mmm, love me some, cold, next day meatloaf sandwiches !

I do as well!

Darn, that meatloaf will get a try on my Traeger as well. Thanks for the reminder!
Dad used to say that if he had to have a “last meal” it would be fried backstrap, mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits.

Mmm. Backstrap.
Thought that was bolognese ragu initially.
Originally Posted by johnhroberts1993
Thought that was bolognese ragu initially.

You mean, like this 1 ?

Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
Dad used to say that if he had to have a “last meal” it would be fried backstrap, mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits.

Mmm. Backstrap.

I like your dad!

👍
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever

Mmm. Backstrap.

I like your dad!

👍

Yeah, me too !!
Except for the straps and tenderloins I turn all of mine into hamburger. Store bought ground beef tastes terrible to us now.
Originally Posted by Lslite
Except for the straps and tenderloins I turn all of mine into hamburger. Store bought ground beef tastes terrible to us now.

I do about 85% of this. I do like having roasts to turn into jerky. I used to cook them in the crock-pot, but I couldn't, for the life of me, make it so it wasn't dry.
Dittos for me..
Dad said if you are not going to eat it don’t kill it. Since I’m the only one in the house that eats it 1 deer is enough for me. Stew, burger, cutlets, steaks suite me fine. By the time May comes it’s gone and I move on to turkey then fish. I’m eating something I captured about 2-3 times a week.
Deer rump Marsala;

Had to add 1/2 cup of full cream, as there wasn't enough sour cream.

Amazing flavour !
Looks good 99. My wife just wont cook it , and I am no cook so it mostly goes to burger. I am getting tired of burger though..
Lots of great recipes using burger, too !

Deb's famous deer burger helper, last night !!

We sure love this meal, easy, tasty & always left overs for a couple of lunches !
I have eaten deer 3 suppers out of the last 5 nights. Had marinated loin steaks tonight sauteed with mushrooms.
Once I started grinding all of the meat and adding a bit of Boston butt for some fat, I've found that I'm out of meat by mid-summer of thereabouts. Never worry about some cut of meat being forgotten in the freezer. We use it in place of ground beef for everything.
Slow cooked, pulled venison in biscuit cups, with fresh fresno chili & melted havarti !!

smile
Great stuff!

Made another pot of venison spaghetti last Friday. One small serving left for today's lunch!
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

I do about 85% of this. I do like having roasts to turn into jerky. I used to cook them in the crock-pot, but I couldn't, for the life of me, make it so it wasn't dry.

I use ground for jerky. Easier on the teeth and accepts the spices much better.
Southern Venison and wild pork sausage - is a staple food.

GR

Cooked some backstrap in butter and spices. Felt my cholesterol jump 3 points but it was good!

Attached picture ACCDA339-4FD9-418F-92FD-A493D779150F.jpeg
Attached picture 3889939C-9618-42FD-8894-AEC818B22348.jpeg
Looking good !!
Adding myVenison Butternut Curry for those looking for a kick.

[Linked Image]
Wow, can't believe that got zero traction, when you first posted it, in 2022 !!!

Have everything, other than the squash, which will be remedied soon !

Thanks for posting !
If you don't like to eat it you probably should find something else to do with your Fall
Me
[Linked Image]

Summer sausage, German sausage, Bratwurst, Italian sausage.
^^^^^^ SUPERB ! ^^^^^^
Pure comfort & delight !

We are having a little issue at my house, we eat a ton of deer but lately my youngest has been having reactions to red meat. We spend a lot time outdoors and pretty good about spraying down, but I have a gut feeling its from a tick bite. Been seeing it a lot lately around here the past few years. Had another episode this past week, Dr. time...
YIKES !!

Wishing your family, the best of outcomes, Mate !
Venison Cheese burger pie;

smile

New one for us, loosely based off of the pioneer woman's recipe.

stuffed venison meatloaf
Man, look at that messy GOODNESS !!!!!!
🤤🤤🤤
Deer burger Marsala, over Shanghai noodles !!

© 24hourcampfire