Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Colorado is dead set to out law lion hunting. I upset one a few years back elk hunting. Followed me making a "aroof" growl for a half hour. Never saw it or even could tell for sure the direction of sound. I've seen the trail cams of pouncing on deer--me and my .41 seem outclassed. Queeksdraw I ain't

As for California's carrying. The culture frowns, note the comment about why are you hiking anyway.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This may sound insensitive but I support the reduction of leftist scum by any means necessary. Mountain lions are logical creatures, to them if idiots are going to provide themselves as a defenseless food source why blame the lion?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rickt300
This may sound insensitive but I support the reduction of leftist scum by any means necessary. Mountain lions are logical creatures, to them if idiots are going to provide themselves as a defenseless food source why blame the lion?

Not only insensitive, but dumbass as well.

Why do you ASSume they were lefties? Because they live in CA?

Lots of good folk live in CA, and the state of the state doesn’t reflect their politics, beliefs, or morals.

Two young men out shed hunting, if I had to bet I’d say they were hunters, and just maybe Right leaning, if not full-on Red supporters.

So don’t be a dick.

Unless you were trying to be funny, in which case you failed.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kennyd
Colorado is dead set to out law lion hunting. I upset one a few years back elk hunting. Followed me making a "aroof" growl for a half hour. Never saw it or even could tell for sure the direction of sound. I've seen the trail cams of [Mountain lions] pouncing on deer--me and my .41 seem outclassed. Queeksdraw I ain't

As for California's carrying. The culture frowns, note the comment about why are you hiking anyway.

Kenny D, I wouldn't worry that your .41 Magnum isn't sufficient for protection against a Mountain lion. When I lived in California, I became friends with a professional lion and bear guide, a houndsman, who had killed a bunch of them over the years. His primary lion firearm was a Ruger Single Action in .22 Magnum. He said it would kill a Mountain lion quicker than a cat can lick his azz. His rifle he carried for Black bear was an old Winchester 94 Trapper in .30-30 WCF.

He was quite a hunter. When Calif. libs got lion and bear hunting banned and curtailed, he took his hounds and moved to Idaho/Nevada and later to Montana.

EDIT: Most of those bliss ninnies commenting idiotically about "being in the lion's territory," ad nauseum, have never been off the concrete sidewalks, streets, and highways ..... and think you, I, we, should not venture off concrete, either.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I heard a Marlin in 35 Rem. will kill a Ca MT.lion, at least thats what a friend told me .

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenster99
I heard a Marlin in 35 Rem. will kill a Ca MT.lion, at least thats what a friend told me .

Yep, deader than a burnt boot! grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Double wow, check out some of the comments:

@masonb.newkirk3266
6 minutes ago
Why wouldn't the cops have brought a tranquilizer gun instead? Killing the mountain lion solves nothing! They could have easily stunned and relocated him. It's graphic, but I want to make it clear: those two brothers walked into the mountain lion's territory. The mountain lion didn't show up in the town and attack them randomly; they took a chance and placed themselves in the mountain lion's habitat.
Wow.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Wow, is right !
Relocate them in SF maybe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very sad for those young people and their families.

I’ve posted this before as it occurred back in January of ‘21 and my other anecdotes predate that. But I was at an area range one day with my wife who was sipping coffee in the truck as it was a single digit day.

I had worked one rifle and joined her for a break and a hot cup of coffee. At one point as we were faced down range we both looked at each other with incredulity and said something like, “did you just see that”?

The simple range is only a hundred yard one with a giant birm behind the target. Behind the birm is the Rock River with a fair amount of riverine brush.

A cougar came out of the brush and walked calmly out in front of the birm. This is NW Iowa! And on the west side of a fair sized town. And about three hundred yards behind a Bomgaars store.

There have been other sightings, some road kills, and several shot over the years. It wasn’t long ago that the DNR dogma was that they don’t exist in Iowa and that reporters must have just seen a nice yellow lab. All of which is why I waited a couple of weeks before calling the regional game warden.

As I finally walked toward the target area it blew up out from behind the target frame at about thirty yards and was over the 13’ birm in a tawny blur.

I expected Mr game warden to be in denial and a bit condescending. But, “oh yeah, we’ve had some other reports on that guy. Probably a male that got pushed out of his territory. Appreciate the call.”

I know the Loess Hills of western Iowa, paralleling the Missouri River, holds the big cats. Maybe not very many but I know they are some there. As someone indicated above, it adds some spice to be up against a tree in the spring and trying to call in a Turkey.

I have now seen two in the “wild” but never would have expected this one where it was. It was actually a pretty neat experience.

Edit: I should have added, it must have been there for awhile acclimating to regular gun fire. It seemed calm and unfazed.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 03/24/24.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Mountain lions in California seem to be getting bolder...

That is one way to look at it. But perhaps it is more likely that the foolish hunting ban has resulted in their population encroaching into more populated areas once naturally made safer because of the presence of hunters. This incident occurred not much more than 50 miles from the center of the state's capitol.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
Good to hear from you Dwayne. We're getting rain, but I ain't complaining as we need it. It seems anymore we always need rain and snowpack was very light this year on top of it.

Those big males cover lots of ground. The dispersing younger cats also seem to cover lots of ground trying to find their own territory. A number of years ago, a young male lion, came from central Oregon and ended up in central Idaho. Hundreds of miles and two major river crossings.

A guy, now dead, who was a lifelong houndsman and hound breeder from MT, said when hound hunters started letting females go, and only taking mature males is when the population started to rise in the Bitteroot Valley. This was late 80's early 90's. We saw the same rise here around that time. It seems to have now declined from those years.

I do think wolves have an impact as they take over any lion kill they find requiring the lion to find another deer or elk.

People seem to be crazy scared of lions thinking they are behind every tree. Things do happen at times, but in reality, a guy is more likely to be in a car wreck, struck by lightening, or get hurt falling out of bed. My youngest brother has hiked and mtn biked thousands of miles all over, ID, MT, WY and has seen more lions than most ever dream of seeing and he only recently started carrying a pistol and that was for the human predators.
So true, Lonny.
They are thick up at camp here. I downloaded a pic of another yesterday off one of the cameras. Seems like I have one every couple weeks when I make the rounds.
Last winter (heavier snow than this one) the elk herd was bedding within 200 yards of the shop.
The wolves had showed up and the elk were hanging close. I found 3 cat kills of elk within 200. On 2 of them the wolves stole the buried remains. I’d get wolf & cat pics (in the dark) on the same night. I found other cat kills on deer & elk further out. Put up cameras and got some good pics. Lots with mom & 2 cubs.
I really need to take the time to figure out how to call them. Did get one one morning that came up from the creek bottom to sit in the sun. I was sitting looking at deer in the rut, so he had no clue I was around.

Have Dog

Will Travel

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just found out I know them, sad news. Lived about 3 miles from my property in Ca.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wage, Sounds like you got lots of predator action in your area. I remember when you shared the story of getting a lion while deer hunting. Most people, even those who spend quite a bit of time out and about rarely, if ever, see one. Good going.

Kenster, dang that's sure too bad. Sorry to hear that.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hardway
We are even more fugged since they banned hound hunting of bears…. Lots of lions got treed by those dogs….. we are being overrun with predators…. Maybe these wetbacks will develop a taste for mountain lion?
Or vice versa.

If ya can’t get rid of the lions, put’em to work.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just found out I know them, sad news. Lived about 3 miles from my property in Ca.

So were they leftist scum who deserved to die, according to rickt300?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You can pass along my condolences to the family, as well as wishes for a speedy recovery of the younger brother.

To the thread in general: The attack on a young woman mentioned earlier in the thread also happened in Eldorado county.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by rickt300

Not only insensitive, but dumbass as well.

Why do you ASSume they were lefties? Because they live in CA?

Lots of good folk live in CA, and the state of the state doesn’t reflect their politics, beliefs, or morals.

Two young men out shed hunting, if I had to bet I’d say they were hunters, and just maybe Right leaning, if not full-on Red supporters.

So don’t be a dick.

Unless you were trying to be funny, in which case you failed.

P

Not trying to be funny, unarmed hikers are free food for bears and lions. Republicans recognize these risks and act accordingly. Whatever your political bent if you don't make any effort to recognize risk then a low IQ individual is better fed to the animals and removed from the gene pool. Just because they were shed hunting does not make them right leaning. In Wyoming I ran into a couple of Japanese guys shed hunting during elk season. Planning on grinding the horn into powder and selling it on the black market for boner medication. And if I choose to be a DICK it is still a free country.

Dog I rescued in January

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Not at all. Very accomplished young hunters. There dad is one of the best turkey callers around.

P

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Not at all. Very accomplished young hunters. There dad is one of the best turkey callers around.

P

However no one said they deserved to die, only that they took a risk and paid the price for it.

Dog I rescued in January

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
2ndwind: Sad.
And a shame.
I also remember when there was a bounty on Mt. Lions in taxington - we had wonderful Mule Deer and Mt. Goat Hunting back then and folks were safe in the woods.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,459
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.