Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The lights were on on that ship until the bridge collapsed on it and took out the front light. Only some of the lights went off for a few seconds, then came back on before impact.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/26/24.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Also - that bridge is the Hazmat, Oversize/Over dimensional route in/out of Baltimore harbor area. 3rd largest US Eastern Seaport - the impact on the area will be massive.

Horrible event - At that point, it would have been under control of a harbor pilot no? Lots of black smoke too - wonder if there was a catastrophic loss of motive power (lights out) creating an inability to steer and hit the pillar.

Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Coincidence again?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Wow…what a nightmare for the folks on the bridge. God be with the rescue workers and the victims.

I’m sure the dong-huffing sec of transportation will attempt to wheel out racism, climate, and Trump later today as the causes for the incident.

Caused by racism, Climate Change, and Trump according to Mayor Pete. You're probably right.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by steve4102
Terrorists

Drunk ship captain more like it.

That's exactly what I was just thinking. after all, you can't get pulled over by a state trooper for a breath test when you are driving a boat in the harbor.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just saw this. Theories abound but at 130 am some people went 185 feet down in their cars to a black, watery grave. Let’s just remember that this morning.

The way life should be.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Terrorists

That's exactly what I was just thinking. after all, you can't get pulled over by a state trooper for a breath test when you are driving a boat in the harbor.

Linky - video

Drunk captains lose power several times before hitting a bridge?

Terrorists often commit their attacks at the LEAST populated times in the morning for the lowest level of possible effect - right? 1am?

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Teal

WOW... Thanks for posting that...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bummer

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 03/26/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
one would think the harbor pilot would have aborted the departure..............

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I watched both views of that impact from behind and from in front. it certainly look like it was steered into the pillar to me..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bobski
one would think the harbor pilot would have aborted the departure..............

I suspect we'll see a combo of 2 things.

1. Power loss while executing navigational maneuvers put the ship in a position without steering and adrift in the middle of a turn to starboard.
2. Power was regained, engines pushed full power (the thick smoke) and the attempt to then turn HARD to starboard to take that pilling down the port side of the boat. There wasn't enough room and it was made worse by the 2nd loss of power. No power= not enough water over the rudders to provide positive maneuverability.

They'll determine mechanical failure compounded by decision to continue/attempt a hard starboard turn rather than go port to put the pilling down the starboard side of the ship. (swing wide, instead of cut sharp)

And that's just a SWAG based off the video. I'm not an NTSB inspector at all but I've driven boats. Those that have understand that power gives you steering, lack of power SUCKS big time.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1) complete rescue/recovery
2) complete investigation.
3) get demolition crews in there and open shipping lanes through the wreckage.
4) re-evaluate and adjust use of tunnels.
5) get barges/ferries in place for land based freight transport to cross.
6) bulld a new damn bridge.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Terrorists

Linky - video

Drunk captains lose power several times before hitting a bridge?

Terrorists often commit their attacks at the LEAST populated times in the morning for the lowest level of possible effect - right? 1am?

Good God, what a video.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
31k vehicles a DAY went over that bridge. Can't run hazmat into tunnels. Gonna be wild re-routing that traffic.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Before anybody reads too much into this, especially without all the facts, the ship was under the control of not one but TWO port of Baltimore pilots. There are reports of the ship going "black" minutes before the collision. What that is an indicator of is the ship probably had a catastrophic/cascading power failure and not only lost way, but steerage as well and in that case, they would not even had the means to even drop anchor. If the ship lost way, even at four of five knots, it would take a lot of time to stop. The channel there is but 150yrds wide, so lost of steerage and power, what happened is very much a probability.

Jorge (USN, RET)

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The film shows the ship going dark,( power loss), then the lights come on and heavy black smoke from the stack before ship hits the bridge.
Like like a terrible accident to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Terrorists

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
That ship was under the control of a US pilot.

Bridges are a huge piece of our high value national infrastructure. Port cities can be crippled if they are taken out.

I sure hope drunk, and not intentional.

I know almost nothing about shipping or the channels there. But looking at the video, and a map, there is a good chance Baltimore harbor isn’t gonna be moving any freight for awhile.

My first concern was terrorists.

There are isolated railroad tunnels within a short distance of our family farm. Pap used to tell of troops guarding those tunnels during WWII. The Horseshoe Curve was also guarded.

It would be quite easy to seriously hurt us, with high reward, low risk attacks to key infrastructure.

American pilot?
WTF does that mean?
Does he have roots here before it was the USA?
100 years?
50?
Or is he a Farsi speaker working a visa?

Just got a notification the ship lost power.

The concern for what could happen remains

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Clearly, the only thing to do is send another $60 billion to Ukraine.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
ATTENTION

We can't spend our $$$$$ on bridge upkeep! Those $$$$$ must go to Ukraine!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.