Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
What's the best American made bore scope?

The Hawkeye from Gradient Lens Corp.

My brother had a Hawkeye. I think his was rigid? Which model is best for rifle bores?

All the Hawkeyes are rigid--but provide far more detail than digital scopes like the Teslong. Depends on what you want/need.

But Gradient also offers flexible bore-scopes--for far more $$ than the rigid models.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I started using Sweets decades ago and have been satisfied, killing critters, so continue to use it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I wonder why they discontinued the foul out system.

It had a tendency to eat barrels, if neglected.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Wipe-Out works well, but there are others that work even quicker.

Always interesting to hear what's "best" on these threads, by people who've used a handful of cleaners.
John,
I'm a Wipe-Out fan, but always wanting to learn. What are the ones that are quicker, and are any of them as "gentle" as wipe-out, or are there any extra precautions that need to be taken with the faster products?

Thanks in advance,
Rex

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Originally Posted by mathman
Cut to the chase: JB bore paste

This^^^^^^^

If I want to clean the copper out of my barrels,I use JB Bore Paste.I wrap a patch coated with JB paste and a little oil around a bore brush.I usually do about ten back and forth strokes down the whole length of the bore per patch.What I've noticed,a copper fouled barrel may seem tight from the throat to around midway down the barrel.After three to five patches,I can actually feel the bore is smoother all the way the length of the barrel.A borescope will confirm how clean it is,but if you don't have one,feel is one thing you can go by.I've never had JB paste hurt any of my barrels and it is the quickest way I know to remove copper and carbon from your barrels.

A couple of rifles purchased used were particularly stubborn and fouled severely. An undersized bronze brush, 243 in a 6.5 mm, or 6.5 in a 7 mm, wrapped with 0000 steel wool and imbedded with JB will speeds things along. About 50 strokes, adding bore paste at intervals.

Then back to Sweets with a SS jag and patch, and dry the bore. And sometimes a dose of Hoppes 9, then a dry patch.

If the scope still says dirty, or the patches are still blue, depending on severity, I might go back to the steel wool, or repeat the sweets.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Fine Bronze wool is better than 0000 Steel wool, safer. Buy off of Ebay.

JB bore bright is more aggressive than std JB

Montana Extreme Copper killer is very effective on caked on copper, You can brush with it using their plastic brushes or saturate a wool mop.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For me, nothing cleans a badly neglected, heavily fouled barrel, better than JB.

For regular cleaning I use Forrest foam. It will end up cleaning the heaviest copper plating but it will need to leave it soaked up in the foam for two-three days and it nights.

I always thought copper fouling was worst at the muzzle end but that was just it was visible to the naked eye, while nothing could be seen when looking from the breech. Until I bought a Hawkeye which showed the worst fouling starting one or two inches in forn of the first rifling. In all of my guns.

chamois

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Hoppes 9 foaming cleaner. For serious cleaning I use JB. But when I get a new used rifle home, I’ll use that foaming cleaner - it’s really good.
I’ve tried most of the bore cleaners on the market. I still have others on my bench - Shooters Choice, Butch’s Bore Shine, Sweets, and a couple others.

I doubt I need the best bore scope. I often go cheap and then wish I went better. The Hawkeyes good for .177 to .458?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I doubt I need the best bore scope. I often go cheap and then wish I went better. The Hawkeyes good for .177 to .458?

The standard Hawkeye won't work on the .17's. If you need that capability, the Super Slim model is what you need. Mine is the Shooters Deluxe edition with the hard case, the 90 degree eye piece (I highly recommend it) and the Super Nova light source (nice but not needed). The Super Nova is often too much light in the smaller bores. By the time you adjust it down, you're right where the standard light source is without all the extra cost.

With the emergence of the Teslongs, you can often find used Hawkeyes for less than half of new price. There's one on Accurate Shooter right now. I'd not dawdle...hint, hint.
https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/hawkeye-borescope.4120414/#post-38909771

When I want to capture an image, the 26" rigid Teslong does the job.

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Wipe-Out works well, but there are others that work even quicker.

Always interesting to hear what's "best" on these threads, by people who've used a handful of cleaners.
John,
I'm a Wipe-Out fan, but always wanting to learn. What are the ones that are quicker, and are any of them as "gentle" as wipe-out, or are there any extra precautions that need to be taken with the faster products?

Thanks in advance,
Rex

If I want to get the copper out of a typical barrel quickly I generally use Montana X-Treme Copper Killer. Like regular Montana X-Treme, it's oil-based so can be left in the bore indefinitely with any extra precautions, but works far quicker. In fact, when working on one of the 20-25 handloads for a specific cartridge articles I used to do for Handloader, I'd often swab the bore of the test rifle with Copper Killer just before putting together a batch of test-loads, which might take 45 minutes to an hour. By the time the loads were assembled the barrel was copper-free.

In general the regular Montana X-Treme works about as quickly as either the foaming or liquid Wipe-Out. Leaving any of them in overnight usually gets most "regular" copper-fouling out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

My Hawkeye is the super-slim model. One disadvantage is that it only allows a look straight down .17 bores, not a close-up of the bore's surface, as the right-angle slip-over rod does in larger bores.

It's actually my second Hawkeye. Bought the first over 20 years ago from Brownells, but a few years ago the folks at Gradient offered to trade me one of their upgraded models, which is noticeably brighter and sharper than the older one.

John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Al,

My Hawkeye is the super-slim model. One disadvantage is that it only allows a look straight down .17 bores, not a close-up of the bore's surface, as the right-angle slip-over rod does in larger bores.

It's actually my second Hawkeye. Bought the first over 20 years ago from Brownells, but a few years ago the folks at Gradient offered to trade me one of their upgraded models, which is noticeably brighter and sharper than the older one.

John

Morning, John. smile The angled lens was the big reason I didn't go with the Super Slim model. The Teslongs let you look. But as you know, the Hawkeyes really let you s-e-e. grin

18 degrees here with Northwest winds from 25-40 today. Stay warm out there. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I want to get the copper out of a typical barrel quickly I generally use Montana X-Treme Copper Killer. Like regular Montana X-Treme, it's oil-based so can be left in the bore indefinitely with any extra precautions, but works far quicker. In fact, when working on one of the 20-25 handloads for a specific cartridge articles I used to do for Handloader, I'd often swab the bore of the test rifle with Copper Killer just before putting together a batch of test-loads, which might take 45 minutes to an hour. By the time the loads were assembled the barrel was copper-free.

In general the regular Montana X-Treme works about as quickly as either the foaming or liquid Wipe-Out. Leaving any of them in overnight usually gets most "regular" copper-fouling out.

When I need a copper solvent that's aggressive but has some protection, I mix a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in Sweets. In my early days (pre bore scope), I'd use household ammonia with a bit of Marvel in it. shocked

Forbidden Zoner
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I wonder why they discontinued the foul out system.

It had a tendency to eat barrels, if neglected.

Ahh, thanks, maybe I don't need to build one with my tendency to get side tracked on multiple projects.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Morning, John. smile The angled lens was the big reason I didn't go with the Super Slim model. The Teslongs let you look. But as you know, the Hawkeyes really let you s-e-e. grin

18 degrees here with Northwest winds from 25-40 today. Stay warm out there. smile -Al

Yep, the view through Hawkeyes is vastly better than through Teslongs. I bought my Teslong due to a long-time journalistic tendency to try stuff out. I did--but eventually decided I didn't need one, so sold it to a local guy who was always asking if he could come over and use the Hawkeye! (I also got the Super Slim Hawkeye due to the journalistic "need" to look inside .17 barrels....)

Luckily, we have been having mostly average weather for this time of year in Montana--which mean highs around 50--though of course we also get some snow. And right now we need more snow in the mountains!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The standard Hawkeye won't work on the .17's. If you need that capability, the Super Slim model is what you need. Mine is the Shooters Deluxe edition with the hard case, the 90 degree eye piece (I highly recommend it) and the Super Nova light source (nice but not needed). The Super Nova is often too much light in the smaller bores. By the time you adjust it down, you're right where the standard light source is without all the extra cost.

With the emergence of the Teslongs, you can often find used Hawkeyes for less than half of new price. There's one on Accurate Shooter right now. I'd not dawdle...hint, hint.
https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/hawkeye-borescope.4120414/#post-38909771

When I want to capture an image, the 26" rigid Teslong does the job.

I looked at that a couple of times. It’s missing the degree eyepiece and the Super Nova light source, right?

I only have one 17, a 17 Hornet. I can pass on the super slim model, I’d guess.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The standard light source is more than adequate and simple. You can buy an angled eyepiece seperately if you like.

Teslong also has a new model folding bore scope that has the focus externally rather than the adjustable mirror length style. It comes with it's own stand alone 4.5" monitor for about $180. On my rigid Teslong, the red mirror adjusted at the halfway point works 90% of the time without any fiddling.

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Cut to the chase: JB bore paste
Everyone has their own poison. I use Brasso.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Teslong also has a new model folding bore scope that has the focus externally rather than the adjustable mirror length style. It comes with it's own stand alone 4.5" monitor for about $180. On my rigid Teslong, the red mirror adjusted at the halfway point works 90% of the time without any fiddling.

What's the advantage of the rigid Teslong, I have the flex version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But the Teslong is made by the Communist Chinese, correct?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (160user, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 2UP, 35, 18 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,439
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.