Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I decided to make my Model 19 6" my new go to backpacking gun, so I'll be in the market for a holster.

In past threads I have heard mention that many prefer a shoulder holster as opposed to a belt holster, has anyone had a problem with such a set-up with a backpack on? I'm thinking about a vertical carry model since the revolver has a 6" barrel.

Is it a pain having the pack straps so close to the revolver, either on the hike, or putting the pack on and off?

What do most prefer out on the trail, a shoulder or a belt model?

I asked this over on the "Handgun" forum also, maybe we can consolidate the replies over there.
Same thread, Handgun Forum

Thank you.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't like putting a backpack on over a shoulder holster, nor have I had any happiness putting one on over a belt holster. Best I've come up with is a paddle holster slipped over the waist belt, cross-draw fashion.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Dennis,

Are the chest rigs comfortable? I'm thinking of ordering the "Chesty Puller" chest rig and a holster from these guys when I get my Blackhawk.

Simply rugged

Travis

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Dennis,

Are the chest rigs comfortable? I'm thinking of ordering the "Chesty Puller" chest rig and a holster from these guys when I get my Blackhawk.

Simply rugged

Travis

Would you wear binoculars with that chesty puller set-up?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't know, I've never tried one on. Are they a PITA?

Travis

IC B2

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I couldn't tell you, but from pictures it looks as if the revolver would ride right on top of my binos. I wouldn't want to lose the option of wearing binos on scouting trips.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was looking at it for a backpacking/fishing rig.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Dennis,

Simply rugged

Travis

Friend, you have just done me a big favor, though perhaps not my wallet grin. I'd not seen that website before, nor have I tried any of their gear. I'll likely be sending them some coin in the new year, though. The Chesty Puller rig looks like it might could work out.

Thanks,

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My buddy said Taffin did a little blurb on their leather and said good things FWIW.

I think those prices look pretty fair considering what I paid for a Bianchi a couple years ago.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Certainly comparable to Galco. I'll have to ask some folks from up north what they know about the gear and the outfit.

Dennis

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Let me know if you don't mind. I'm waiting for that .44 Special Flattop Lipseys is running so I probably won't order the leather for another month.

Travis

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
El Paso Saddlery has a "Tanker" holster that can be adjusted to ride low on the ribcage, sort of a compromise between a vertical shoulder holster and a chest rig -

El Paso Saddlery Tanker

If you carry binoculars, they would probably hang below your sternum, to one side of the holster.

(Holster has a belt loop, but it can be cut off or ignored if you want to wear this holster outside a jacket...)

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Blackhawk CQB with the paddle attached. It slides over the strap on the waist belt and rides right where a handgun should.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bianchi paddle, rides nice on the pack belt.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
+1 Browtine. This is how I carry my G-30 But mine is a Glaco hard plastic.

07' Bowtech Allegiance 28" 70#
Vapor trail limbdriver, Spot-Hogg Hunter Hogg-it,
Carter BK Hunter,
Lowe 4900, Clark Jungle Hammock,
Mountain Hardware +20 Down, Cabelas XPG -10 Down.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
i packed a 4" 629 for a lot of years prospecting and mapping in northern BC and the yukon. I could never really make a shoulder or chest holster comfortable with a pack on as well, and settled on a nylon holster on the pack belt like Browtine shows above.

I use a Bianchi UM-84R with a flap and the metal molle(?) attachement, which makes it easy to pop off the pack and onto your belt. it aso gives better protection and retention when bushwhacking.

Another guy I know uses the flap holster on his pack belt, and wears a simply rugged pancake on his belt which will lay flat and un-noticed, then simply moves the gun onto his hip when he puts the pack down. Not exactly convenient, but anything will be a compromise when you are dealing with a pistol, a backpack, binoculars, rain-gear, and other doo-dads on your belt and neck.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Has anyone tried the military combat type holsters that hold the gun on the leg? I have thought about using one but didn't want to spend the cash when what I have works.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NightBugle; 12/30/08.

07' Bowtech Allegiance 28" 70#
Vapor trail limbdriver, Spot-Hogg Hunter Hogg-it,
Carter BK Hunter,
Lowe 4900, Clark Jungle Hammock,
Mountain Hardware +20 Down, Cabelas XPG -10 Down.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You might consider one of these, has the advantage of keeping the handgun clean and dry, and it's also discreet:

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I bought a Guides Choice Holster made by Dave Johnston of Diamond D Custom Leather that Im very happy with. I think it may be what you are looking for.
Heres a link

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/GuidesChoice.html

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What I do is either slip a holster on to the straps of my waist belt, like the one shown here or simply put the pistol in the top pocket of the pack. No special holster is required for either my Bianchi Endurance Pack or either of my Kifarus.
If the holster is attached to the pack, it works best for me to pull the handgun out of the holster if I'm removing the pack. Otherwise it swings around and bumps stuff, etc.
Putting it in the top pocket is what I like during the off season. The "greenies" I run into don't get nervous and nobody knows I have one. Don't need to remove it when I remove the pack etc. If you try this, make sure you can get at the handgun quickly. If the pack is a low riding one, this may not work well enough for you. E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (160user, 10ring1, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 3,172 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,545
Posts18,510,183
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.