Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Murphy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I have a quantity of .416" and .423" A Square Dead Tough soft point bullets. I have a 416 wildcat and a 404 Dakota(.423"), capable of 400 grains at 2400 fps. I want to use these on cape buffalo.

I have taken one buffalo with a 416 Remington and this bullet which went very well. It was a one shot kill but only because I was unable to get a second shot. This shot exit and was a quartering to shot at the point of the near shoulder. It broke shoulder joint and exited a rib through pipes and lungs. In five to ten minutes we heard the bellow.

So question is, was that a lucky shot or normal performance? Since I have these expensive bullets, would they be a good choice or should I use Swift A-frames as with my 375? I have also taken one with this bullet in 458" in a 450 Ackley, it worked but 465 grains at 2400 fps.

The swift has never failed me but I have a load with these dead tough's for my rifles so thought I'd try. What do you think?

GB1

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They do not enjoy a good reputation for use on heavily boned game - as opposed to lions where the dead toughs are supposed to be excellent - because they are thought to be too soft and to expand too readily and too much.

Similarly, the lion load is thought too soft for lions - but excellent for leopard.

Your experience is opposite the "prevailing wisdom." I'd always go for real personal experience over "prevailing wisdom."

But, I wonder, with the great performance you report, why ask for others' opinions? Hints of trouble?

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 02/23/09.
M
Murphy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I'd never heard they were too soft, quite the opposite actually but only about a half dozen or so uses that I personally know of. My one and only with the 416 was about equal to the same caliber with the A-frames. I just din't think once proved anything at all. I've taken an even dozen with nine different calibers and have concluded the most perfect caliber for buff is the 416 class rifle. With a well made 400 grain bullet at about 2400 fps, it's about the perfect balance for a comfortable rifle to shoot with a significant step above the 375 and still enough reach out capability for that kudu or sable of a lifetime that is out yonder a bit. So all my buffalo from now on will fall from one of the rifles of that ballistic niche, just trying to find the perfect bullet. The lion loads are very fragile and probably won't exit a 'possum, but the DT's are stronger built. A woodleigh won't exit from a 416 unless maybe broad side lung shot. They rarely cooperate that well for me.

During hard times and when in doubt I'll always take a Swift for the first shot on buff.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
JPK, I think you're confusing the "Dead Tough" soft points from A-Square (which have a very good reputation) with their "Lion Loads" which are very soft and are only for very thin skinned game. Everything I've read is that the Dead Toughs (including Terry Wieland's book "Dangerous Game Rifles" is that they are very good bullets, but very expensive.

Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The dead tough is tough..The Lion Load is a joke, its softer than butter and better suited to Dik Dik and Jack Rabbits....

I would use the dead tough on Buffalo, but there are better bullets for buffalo such as the Woodleigh (particularly the 450 gr.), The Northfork Soft point, and particularly the North Fork cup point, The GS Customs monolithics work, and allthough I am not a Barnes X fan, I will admit they seem to work very well on large animals like Buffalo...The Swifts seem to work well enough on Buffalo but all recovered Swifts are too smooth and have no ragged, jagged, tearing edges and IMO Buff can make a lot more tracks and leave less blood on ocassion..

Your report on your buffalo kill is what you can expect in 95% of the cases..You shoot them in the heart/lung vitals with a 375 H&H or 600 N.E. they buck a few jumps and then run and die somewhere around 30 to 50 yards or so from the location of the first shot, even if you get a couple of follow up shots in them, unless you break them down with a spine shot..

If the first shot is not correct then they can go forever it seems, and at some point it is likely they will be ready to fight when you see them again. A gut shot broken jaw or broken leg, is likely to end up in a bru ha ha with a buffalo...

Buffalo that are in an area where they are not bothered much don't seem prone to agression, as buffalo that are chased by Lions every night or that are being hunted continually, those bulls can get very aggressive and are prone to charge at the drop of a hat...

I know of a big ranch in RSA where the bulls are hunted really heavy year around, and those old boys are just plain mean and will charge on sight of man on foot at least 80% of the time I am told.

Last edited by atkinson; 02/24/09.
IC B2

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Chuck,

No, I'm not confusing the two. Rather, the reputation of the Dead Tough is that it is unsuitable for heavy boned animals but great for lighter boned larger animals like lion, for which it is supposed to be excellent.

The softer Lion Load is reputed to be too soft for lions, but about perfect for leopard.

I think that my understanding is a very broadly held concensus, but maybe its not so widely held.

I do know that the fellows in Zim I've hunted with were of the opinions I've cited. A Square provided Zim with loaded ammo several decades ago with the A Square bullets, it was widely used and the "concensus" I repeat was the result.

Ganyana over on AR will tell you the same thing if you ask him. He was/is a Parks officer and PH tester.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 02/24/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JPK: +1 on your assessment of the Dead Toughs & Lion Load. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not a fan of the Colonel, or anything he makes. There are better bullets.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My mistake then JPK, I just got my information from Art Alphin's book "Any Shot you Want" and Terry Wielands book "Dangerous Game Rifles" I've never used any of A-Square's bullets myself. I have personal experience with Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames on game, out of my 270, both of which I've been happy with. I'm planning to shoot 600g Woodleigh PPs and solids through my 500 Jeff at 2150 fps. That should be slow enough to prevent over expansion, but have plenty of power and penetration.

Regards,

Chuck

Last edited by colorado; 02/24/09.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

M
Murphy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the replies folks. I think I'll try them again with this 416 I'm sure they are better in a 416 than a most bullets in a 375. I will keep some A-frames and Woodleighs handy though. I am really fond of walking good buffalo coutry with a 416.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might want to look at Hawk bullets. They make them in different jacket thickness. I grabbed a few boxes when I couldn't get Woodleighs and used them on buffalo with my .450/400. They performed marvelously.

http://www.hawkbullets.com/

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Really cool pic. REALLY nice buff.
My experience on DG is limited, but my vote goes to A-frame for that first shot on Buffalo.... smile it worked for me...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Murphy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Very lovely bosses. An excellent hard headed old bull. I have used the Hawks and wouldn't mind using the thick jackets. I've got them to regulate in doubls before too. What is your double there? A very nice picture. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hatari, thats a nice buff. I could live happily ever after with that one on my wall. Could you direct me to the story so I don't hi-jack this thread?

I Kill Things......deal with it..
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Murphy, I hope you'll consider my question an extension of yours since the experts are engaged here, not an attempt to hijack your thread. I'm trying to resolve a very similar problem and would appreciate advice from the veteran buff hunters. I'd prefer to use my Ruger African 404 wildcat for an upcoming buff hunt (my first DG hunt in Africa) in Moz, but the Ruger may not be re-bored in time. If so, then I'll use a Win M70 416 Rem Mag. The problem: MY PH tells me that he no longer uses or recommends solids, but rather premium SPs/monolithics instead (he's favorably disposed to both Barnes & Swifts). So, do you recommend I use Barnes 400 grain bullets TSXs, Swift 400 AFs, or Woodleigh 450 SP RNs (in either .416" or .423" depending on which rifle I take)? I will of course test the intended bullets in the summer to make sure of function and accuracy. Thanks in advance for any responses based on experience.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 03/01/09.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
400 gr TSX's would get my vote.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Randy Brooks, the owner of Barnes Bullets use the 350 grain TSX in his 416 Rem

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Now THAT is a dead -cool buff!

Or is that a cool, dead buff???? smile

Either way, I want one!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Maybe so, but I'm not looking for more speed, just straight-line penetration, broken bones and a dead buff without a fuss. 400 grains is the minimum in the 40 calibers, I think, to meet all these specs.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You will find that when using mono bullets, stepping down one weight, about 10% down, from the traditional weight bullets works very well. The monos are longer and depending on the rifle's twist, a standard weight mono may be pushing stabilization.

So a mono for a 416 that runs 370 or 350grs is a fine choice, while a Swift AF would be best at the traditional weight of 400grs. If you go Woodleigh, I would go for the 450's too, but I wouldn't go Woodleigh softs only.

You might want to take a look at the North Fork cup point bullet which is a mono with a slight cup point designed to expand some, but to penentrate extremely well. Its probably the perfect buff bullet.

JPK

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,347
Posts18,506,214
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.