Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Trijicon is Jap glass that is assembled in Wixom, MI. That is, at least the civi issue stuff is. I can not comment on where the stuff that our troops/LEO are using comes from. Perhaps others can.

That said, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that their Accupoint is the real deal. Incredibly bright in low to bright conditions. Rapid acquisition. Incredibly durable. Exceeds my FXIII's in terms of clarity.

Pricey, but worth it if your task is. Were they not so expensive, all my rifles would have one.

On a budget (as I now am). Weaver Grand Slam. Bushnell 4200 Elite. For an AR, 1.5-5x40.

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have always prefered these...
[Linked Image]
they are free, they dont break, they are as accurate as i need to be w/ a battle rifle.
no use changing what aint broke. how much ammo can you buy for what an ARMS system and a ziess cost or better yet an ACOG?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The question has been answered in the field by our troops. Optics make a battle rifle better.

As has been stated already, magnified optics help identify threats quicker and help shot placement.

Red dots up close and personal are quicker and in a gun fight, quick accurate fire wins.

How much ammo? These days not so much... so using what ammo you have wisely makes sense.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the optics on an ar is a band-aid. the soulution isnt a flowerpot on a tank. the solution is not to use a tank in town.
the optics were a way to use current inventory. the soultion is to build from the ground up a better MOUT fighting platform. one suited for CQB. in that situation i agree that a dot or a 1.5X IR is prefered.
but in speaking of the platform, the AR is a general purpose battle rifle BEST suited for use w/ iron sights.
you cant chop the barrel and slap on a red dot and make an m16 the equal of a submachine gun inside an 8' room.
that type of fighting is best suited for a medium cyclic rate submachine gun like the Kriss superV or the UMP.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
and then sometimes a band-aid is all you need...

nevermind

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
and then sometimes a band-aid is all you need...

nevermind

grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A lot of dead radical muslims would disagree about the inferiority of the "chopped AR". Besides, we have a tool used in 8' rooms you describe. It is called a 14" 870 shotgun and we almost never use them. The general purpose M4A1 carbine with a general purpose low powered variable works for me since I am not issued a crystal ball to tell me what parameters of the fight will be.

Now back to our previous discussion.........

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Durn good synopsis Mackay. I want/need something I can use going in or standing on a perimeter. I think the weaver will do nicely. Most everyone I work with runs an eotech, and I'm the hold out with irons. I actually have one but have never gotten acquainted with it.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The general purpose M4A1 carbine with a general purpose low powered variable works for me since I am not issued a crystal ball to tell me what parameters of the fight will be.

MS makes a very important point--we don't know what the fight will look like.

I am just a tax lawyer from Orygun, but even I can figure that out.

None of the guys in the NRA's "Armed Citizen" files got the fight they envisioned.

Nevertheless, I continually encounter guys who "know" what the "situation" will be.

Both ourselves and our tools must serve general, not special, purposes.

I see this specialization problem everywhere.

The survivalist who cannot swim--He is prepared for the end of the world but will can't survive a fall into 5 foot deep ditch.

The Fat Martial Artist -- He knows 43 different ways to break a board but he cannot run 1 mile if required (flash flood, chemical spill, whatever).

The "Gun Nut" who owns a different rifle for each combat scenario but has not trained with any of them.

Each one of these guys has a limited, predetermined scenario that he is training for. Sadly they odds are EXTREMELY high that real life won't meet their predictions.

That being said . . . . . . .

(sheepish grin) . . . . .

My AP4 (a DPMS M-forgery in 308) wears a 6x42 HEAVY DUPLEX Leupold. Target acquisition inside a room is best described as "sucky", but it can be done.

Its "mostly" a General Purpose AR, but first round hits at 300 yards (prone or kneeling with a rest) are pretty easy.

Good Shooting.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great post, BMT.

-KS

.-- - ..-. ..--..
IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by killsoft
Great post, BMT.

-KS

Thank you.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BTW guys Natchez is out of the Weavers.....I just checked.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
A
A
Some great information and conversation on this thread which brings up another point to throw into the pot of ideas............whoever said anything about just using the AR-15 platform for CQB or MOUT or as a offensive or defensive type weapon concerning optic use?

How about the everday American hunter who prefers hunting varmints (or any big game animal if thats legal in your state)with their AR platform? I train and use my bushmaster as a defensive weapon platform (home defense) and as a hunting arm for hunting coyotes or wolves here in Alaska. My optic of choice is the Leupold 4x12x40mm 1 inch tube. If I need to shoot close than I train to shoot over the scope tube instinctively in close quarters. Works for me!

Thats why I really enjoy the AR platform.........because its a very versatile platform and can be used in many different ways! grin

"Airborne Rangers lead the way!"
Charlie Co. 4th battalion 325 AIR
82nd Airborne Division. Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
Combat Ops: Just Cause, Desert Shield/Storm.

USCCA, NRA, NWTF, RMEF, and DU member.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Airborne,

Please refer back to page #1 where we discuss using the AR and a low powered variable as an ideal platform for coyote hunting. wink

But just for giggles and to entertain ya, here is a pic from a coyote hunt that turned into a grouse hunt, that was followed by grouse in the crockpot. Welcome to the forum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This one was taken with my Colt AR with the 1.5x5 Leupold.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This one was taken with a Bushy/JP lower and a custom Rock River upper, with 2.5x10 IOR Valdada for glass. I ended up only having a head shot which was pretty ugly for pics so this picture is the least graphic I have of this dog.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here is another dog from a week earlier:

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm running Leupold 3-9x50's on my open calling AR's.

I'm running a fixed 6 on my other one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm not a 50mm fan but when calling in open country, I'll take it for a few ounces more weight.

Last edited by Gmoney; 04/10/09.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Great pics GMoney.

The plain old 3x9 is completely overlooked these days. That is a shame because it really does a whole lot of things well.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Smile when you call me Fudd...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's my cousin and his hog, you can't see it but it's a Bushmaster Varminter. The bobcat pic is his as well both of those guns wear 6.5-20's and the rest of mine are of 1.5-5 and 3.5-10's. I even have used the Aimpoint succesfully just no pics. The AR is a versitile platform, limited only by your imagination...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.