Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I've heard that the United States of America started out as a pretty good idea, and progressed along for a while strong and true to it's ideals and even some common sense too.

Now there seems little hope for anything to take place that resembles common sense.

So, where was the turning point?

Hindsight is suppossed to be 20/20, let's see if any of us agree on where the wrong turns started.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 70's, with the Hippie generation.....that IMHO was the turning point.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I think the hippie thing might be one of the earlier results of the turn...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lawyers...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
& welfare.........

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and becoming the World's Police Force.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."

I wonder if WWII wasn't the last of the proud moments, with an incredible energy directed at a real enemy with nearly universal pride. The good times ran from there and the lack of a universal comeupance, ala the Depression to bring folks back to what matters seems to me to be a turning point.

Everybody that lived through the Depression took something from the experience, IMO, that was similar.

Viet Nam provided divisiveness, showing the huge gap in individuals' perceptions of exactly the same events. Korea provided neither patriotism nor great division and showed the mindset of the war-jaded Americans.

Ike's America was the good times without a tab to pay for quite a while and there is nothing worse than free time to corrupt a society.

But I could be wrong...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And it is the nature of societies to follow the path we are on. We are just doing it in record time.

We have forgotten why this country was founded, and what makes it great.

Also, diversity is no strength. Strength comes from unity.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
IMO it all started downhill when single parent homes became the norm....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nawww.....it was when those parents(married or otherwise) didn't incorporate a shred of discipline.

Some folks couldn't raise chickens.................

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Nawww.....it was when those parents(married or otherwise) didn't incorporate a shred of discipline.

Some folks couldn't raise chickens.................

Very true, though I believe two folks could raise chickens better in most cases.... In my experience kids with strong father figures will fair much better on the average, as kids and as adults.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't think we've gone wrong, America has just become more powerful than our founding fathers could have ever imagined.

The world has changed and we have changed with it; or more correctly, America has changed the world.

MacDonald
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd not dispute the ideal.

On the other hand,I often see kids talk to their folks and others in a manner that would warrant their seeing a Karate Movie and it would Star me,kicking their ass.

Kids are astute creatures and have a firm grip on where boundaries lie. Some parents instill no boundaries and routinely reap those "rewards".

That doesn't help Society..................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well - I would say it went wrong when we started to care too much about offending others and disciplining children. When you care more about hurting feelings at the expense of doing right/ giving people the moral compass or the tools to be a productive member of society - then you have what we have today.

Less thought should be about that childs feelings today than the outcome of there life over the next 30 years.

Plus we have let the psychiologists tell us what is good and ok rather than common sense. My grandfather's generation (WWII) didn't give a damn what some guy in a bad tie said bout how they showld do things - they just sucked it up and DEALT WITH IT!

JMHO

Me

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone see that Claritin commercial with that little dog, Baxter, on it? That's a symptom of the problem right there.

See how the little SOB pulls at the leash and the owner just puts up with it? Some people even get those leashes like a 50 foot tape measure so the dog can pull and tug at them from a longer distance. They don't want to be "mean" and just teach the dog to walk on a leash in a mannerly way.

People like that are parents too. They have the kids but don't define any clear boundaries, don't teach them to respect boundaries, and when the kids exceed the filmy boundaries they do put up they just get one of those 50 foot leashes to make the problem occur farther away.

We're now suffering the effects of the second generation of "Baxters". I really want to punt that dog when I see that commercial.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Your complaints and criticisms are age-old. Try looking at history over a longer span than mere decades.

MacDonald
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I MUCH subscribe to the Theorum outlined nicely in Denis Leary's stand up,"No Cure For Cancer".

He touched upon the matter 100% without tact and nailed the issue squarely,with suggestion of his pending book: "Shut The [bleep] Up!" by Dr.Denis Leary.

Seldom are things soooooo succinct..................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are we talking about the USA as a country or the people/society in it?

Just a question.

Me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How can you possibly separate the two?

MacDonald
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When Lincoln "saved" the union. That is when the Constitution and Bill of Rights started getting flushed!!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, 3dtestify, Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,088
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.