Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to share some of my experiences with these scopes, and get your input too.

Most of the scopes I own or have owned fall into this ($100-$200) category.

The other day I took rifles to the range that wore the following scopes.

Weaver 3x9x38 Classic paid $129
Swift 3x9x40 $119
Leupold Vari X 2 3x9x40 $199
Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 $99

I have owned these scope for several years. I'll rate them in several categories

Optical Clarity/Quality (On 9 power i was reading the smaller words on a real estate sign at about 200 yards): Weaver, Swift, Leupold, Bushnell (the first two were much better than the second two)

Precision adjustments (do they do what they are supposed to): Weaver, Leupold, Swift, Bushnell (1st three were close)

Freedom from glare (with sun behind me how much glare was on the lens): Weaver, Leupold, Bushnell, Swift (1st two were good, Bushnell bearable, Swift-annoying glare)

Low light capability (which one would allow me to make out antlers in fading light): Leupold, Weaver, Bushnell, Swift

Warranty: All have lifetime warranties, but Swift can be exchanged across the counter at any Swift dealer.

Other mid priced scopes I have or have used are Redfield Trackers and Simmons Aetecs.

One Simmons Aetec was awesome in all regards, the other one was a good scope, but was a step or two behind in the above performance categories. The Trackers are pretty good, but at the same price as the Weaver, I wouldn't buy another.

I'd have to say that the Weaver classic is my favorite scope. For $70 more, I certainly wouldn't buy another Vari x 2 (or its successor). I got what I paid for with the Bushnell (an OK scope). I can't figure out the glare on the Swift. If I cup my hand around the rear lens to block the light from hitting the lens it is as good as the others in low light/sun behind me situations. It does have the warranty, so I could return it to my local dealer for an exchange.

I know I can get better performance by spending more money, but apparently the $100-$200 segment is very competetive. Leupold has started offering a Rifleman series to compete. Nikon is offering a Pro-Staff. New scopes from Sightron, Winchester, and Hunter are ringing in in the Mid $100's. Burris FF2's and the Bushnell Elite 3200's can be had for under $200 bucks.

In my eyes this price range begins to offer quality scopes, not the disposable package gun quality stuff typically found for 50-60 bucks.

I'm interested in hearing of others experiences with mid- priced scopes.

Paul

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two 3200 Elite's, I really like them. Mine are moutned on a 3006 and a 270. I also have a variX111 2.5x8 on a 260 rem. Today at the range I was switching the leupold for the Bushnell to see bullet holes at 100 yards from the 260. I don't see what all the fuss is about with leupold. I know all about the warranty, but Bushnell replace one of the 3200's the windage adjustment broke on. The adjustment for both are quite precise, I have used the Leupold a whole lot but I am not sure it's any better than the 3200 for my use. It has much more eye relief, but other than that I certainly woudn't pay double what I paid for the 3200's. In Canada Elite 3200 3x9 is about $300 cdn and the Leupold is over $700.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, what did you decide?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I really miss Weaver and Nikon.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A lot has changed in the 20 years since the 1st post. I still like the Burris FF-II in that price range. They used to be $199, but I've seen them selling for $160-$180 lately

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
A lot has changed in the 20 years since the 1st post. I still like the Burris FF-II in that price range. They used to be $199, but I've seen them selling for $160-$180 lately

Has it ever changed. I hate that Weaver is gone. I have one at this point. They were solid for the money. In the interim Leupold picked up Redfield and started making the Revolution line in the USA. I have 4 of those. Bummer they are gone too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of old Weavers around, often for little cash. I have a K4 that I paid about $70 for IIRC, almost perfect but for a tiny chip in the edge of the objective lens. I sealed that with some thick super-glue to ensure no leaks. I bought it for a .357 rifle, but the combo was pretty heavy so it sits in MT rings waiting for work. If it broke, I’d just toss it and find another as repairs are way more than they cost.

Very pleased so far with that bargain 4500 1-4, still available for $125. An E1 3-9x50 was $100 plus shipping not long ago. It ain’t a Trijicon, but it works well.

Interesting that there are still workable scopes in the same price range as when Pedal Paul began this thread during the reign of Little Bush.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure I own a scope that I paid more than $200 for. A bunch of FullfieldII, a Droptine, VariX-II. variX-III, K4, Sightron SII, and a couple of Buckmasters. I have had problems with 2 but the rest have been good. I don’t dial and a long shot would be 100 yards so I’m not testing or stressing the capabilities of the scope

For what I do and where I hunt, the Fullfield have been flawless. Honestly never had to adjust the Fullfields or Sightron since mounted. Truly set and forget thus far. I’d love to have a high dollar scope and maybe I’m naive but I’m not sure what I’d gain for what I’m doing

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by JMR40

Has it ever changed. I hate that Weaver is gone. I have one at this point. They were solid for the money. In the interim Leupold picked up Redfield and started making the Revolution line in the USA. I have 4 of those. Bummer they are gone too.

The Burris FFII 3-9x40 has not changed much at all in the last 26 years. But went from USA manufacture, to the Phillipines. The coatings and outside appearance has changed a small amount, but the way the scope functions is exactly the same as they have been since their introduction in the late 90's. It's still a bargain at it's price point. The first one I bought was $175.00 in 1998. The last one I bought was $99.99 a year ago. Sad they are being discontinued though, as they have a good following, for obvious reasons. Soon, they will be in the $200.00 price range, when you can find them. Much like the older American made FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Add in gloss, and you'll be paying over $230.00.

As for Weaver, there were some good ones made back in the day. Those were the ones made by LOW, like the V16 4-16x42 that I have:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
These are excellent scopes. I actually paid $100.00 for this scope, a few years ago, but it's worth much more than that.

The Bushnell elite series are excellent scopes too, but you will rarely find one in the $200.00 and less range. However, I did see a nice 4200 2.5-10x40 Bausch and Lomb for $169.95 the other day. I could have bought it for $150.00. That is a stellar deal for that rugged scope. Rain guard worked great, and those scopes are known for putting up with high levels of recoil without failure. Very solid and reliable scopes, with decent glass. If you can find one for $200.00, you better snag it.

Leupold. Good luck finding a good one in the $200.00 range, unless you know where to look. It's just not going to happen!!! I'm talking the Vari-X IIc models. Especially the gloss and silver ones. They hold their value extremely well, and they are good robust scopes that Leupold built a solid reputation on. I'd buy one of these way before anything made these days. That includes the Leupold/Redfields. The old saying goes, and is true, "they just don't make them like that anymore!!".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like used B&L and Bushnell Scopechief scopes WITHOUT the Command Post reticle change option. The 2.5-8x32 is a particular favorite.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Japan made B&L, the Japan made Weavers, the Leupold made Redfield as well as the Burris Fullfield scopes were all hard to beat.
My use being in the flat woods I have no need to dial so once the scope is zeroed that's it, aside from just shooting for enjoyment.
Paul, I think this was your first post... just had to drag you away from the wheel thread. wink

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have 2 Weaver V9s a V7 and a 3x9 rimfire AO. They all adjust as marked or really close. They stay zeroed. I have had all of them 15 to 20 years. I have 2 Burris Fullfield11s last one I paid < 110 for on Amazon. They adjust as advertised and stay zeroed. I have scopes that cost 4 times as much that never adjusted anywhere close to what they were supposed to and don't stay zeroed in the safe. I have watched other people try to sight in cheap Bushnells and couldn't do it. I was always afraid to try one after watching them.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The Burris Fullfields are nice for the money in today's scopes. I'm not comparing them to a current Fullfield, but as far as cheap scopes I've had excellent reliability and function from the old Japan made Tasco's. Have two 3-9's yet that I've had for a LONG time. Been on everything under the sun and still work as intended. One of them is currently on a 22, the other on a 6mm.

I just recently bought a Japan made 4X Tasco on the classifieds here for $20. Don't know which gun I'll put it on yet, but I guarantee it will get used and I bet it will track and hold zero.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not the same as the LOW made scopes of a few years ago

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You got that right. Always thought they were the best bang for the buck.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I am surprised to see the Leupold Rifleman listed in a 20 year old post. I did not know they had been around that long. I understand they compare with the VX-2.

I have not paid over $200 for any scope in my safe, all purchased new. Several 3-9 VX 2, a 3.5-10 VX 3, several Burris FF II 4.5-14 and a couple 3-9, a couple Bushnell 3-9 4200 elite, and a couple Vortex Viper 6.5-20.

Leupold had a hell of a clearance on VX 2 and VX 3 a few years ago. I picked up one 3-9 VX 2 at Walmart for $145, then managed to get the display model for $74 a couple weeks later.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
The Japan made B&L, the Japan made Weavers, the Leupold made Redfield as well as the Burris Fullfield scopes were all hard to beat.
My use being in the flat woods I have no need to dial so once the scope is zeroed that's it, aside from just shooting for enjoyment.
Paul, I think this was your first post... just had to drag you away from the wheel thread. wink

g

All good bud!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
ive got a simmons 8 point 3-9 scope, i think it was 50.00. it tracks better than any new leupold freedom i got and easier to zero. i went back to an old chief scope 3-9 on my 22-250, gave the leupolds away what a disapointment

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Those are not the LOW Weavers we're speaking of.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FFII 3-9x are $135 on Amazon

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Always looking for used Vortex Viper 2x7 prefer the BDC reticle, or Redfield Revolution 2 x 7 with the circle plex. Both work well with none of the issues of the Leupold 2 X 7 had about 5 plus all had issues.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thinking about this post, I bought a Maine Vue scope in 2006 for $75. Slapped it on a 243 and used it for many years before I sold it. That scope wasn’t going to WOW anyone but it was a pretty nice scope for the money. I can’t remember where it was made

I also have a Redfield Revolution on a 7600 carbine that has been rock solid and a Leupold M8 4x on a Ruger that has been fine

In the 20 years since this post, I’ve bought scopes I thought were going to be good and weren’t and others to take a chance on that have been decent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt

blush

Knew that and forgot.
I bought 2 3x9s, a 2x7, and some variable rinse scope when Natchez blew them out. Have a 3x9 on an AR.
It’s good, nowhere near the eye box of the 3200s I bought when they were blown out. Still have one of those in the box, wish I had bought a lot more.

Sitting on a couple FFIIs I haven’t been able to use.
Wouldn’t fit on a Yugo Mauser worth spit.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

blush

Knew that and forgot.
I bought 2 3x9s, a 2x7, and some variable rinse scope when Natchez blew them out. Have a 3x9 on an AR.
It’s good, nowhere near the eye box of the 3200s I bought when they were blown out. Still have one of those in the box, wish I had bought a lot more.

My sole knock on the Japanese made Weaver V series scopes was the eye box and eye relief. The only time I have ever been scoped in my life was with one of those on a 30-06. Laid out over a spindly alder to take a shot (shots) at a nice Kodiak blacktail.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The only Jap Weaver's I liked were the 2.5x.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a used Hawke Vantage 4x (32mm obj) AO scope a couple years ago off the big auction site for $76 shipped. It has been a fabulous scope. Great in low light (11 layers of lens coating), excellent edge-to-edge resolution, crisp finger adjustable w/e knobs that track true and hold zero, plus a lifetime warranty. . They have offerings in: fixed 4x, 2-7x, 3-9x, 4-12x, 4-16x, 6-24x configurations, many with or without AO. New, they sell for ~$110-170ish. So far, my Hawke Vantage 4x AO scope has been a pleasant surprise.
Hawke Vantage rifle scope product line

Other $100-200 scopes I have, and like: Weaver Classic (Japan) 2.5x, B&L 4x-40mm, Lyman AA Permacenter (2.5x and 8x, both bought used), Nikon pre-Monarch 4x, Weaver micro-trac steel tubed 2.5x, 3x and 4x, 1980's Japan-made Bushnell Banner 4x (40mm) which is very bright and sharp.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
About 10 years ago, I got tired of looking at the mud in all my cheapazzd scopes. My eyes were getting older and I was losing about 10 minutes of hunting on either end of the hunting day.

I bought 3 Bushnell scopes: an Elite(sub $400), a Trophy(sub $300), and a Banner (sub $100). I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between the 3. Since then, I've been buying the Banner 3-9X40 for nearly every rifle. I'm happy as a clam. I can now get in the stand an hour before sunrise (a half-hour before legal hunting) and look through any of my scopes and see perfect detail. I have also taken a shot at a whitetail at 150 yards in the last minute of legal hunting and down the beast without a hitch (unless you count the muzzle flash blinding me in my right eye for a minute afterward). The change of scopes has also removed a glare issue I was getting at one stand when I was shooting into the mid-morning sun.

Provisos:
1) My maximum range on a whitetail is about 250 yards. I zero 2 inches high and let it ride.
2) I find a load and pretty much keep it for 20 years.
3) I don't fiddle with the dials

What I can tell you is that I have had zero failures, zero scope-related snafus, and zero complaints.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I am surprised to see the Leupold Rifleman listed in a 20 year old post. I did not know they had been around that long. I understand they compare with the VX-2.

They do not compare with a VX-2. Closer to a Vari-X II glass wise.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

blush

Knew that and forgot.

My sole knock on the Japanese made Weaver V series scopes was the eye box and eye relief. The only time I have ever been scoped in my life was with one of those on a 30-06. Laid out over a spindly alder to take a shot (shots) at a nice Kodiak blacktail.
I've got 5 of them, V-9, V-7, RV-7 and 2 K-2.5's. and never had a problem. The k 2.5's rode on 12 gauge pump slug guns for years and hundreds of rounds. Never got scoped, always held zero. The V 7 and V-9 are or have been on .30-06 and .308 rifles without issue. Never noticed any of them having an overly critical eye box.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Then Minox 3x9 was a good scope have about 5 none have broke on all kinds or rifles. Clear and adjust correctly. No longer made.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sandpit
ive got a simmons 8 point 3-9 scope, i think it was 50.00. it tracks better than any new leupold freedom i got and easier to zero. i went back to an old chief scope 3-9 on my 22-250, gave the leupolds away what a disapointment
I'm not going to lie, I've had significantly better luck with Simmons scopes than I have with Leupold. As have most of the guys in my hunt club. Imo they've never gotten near the credit they deserve online.

That said, I probably haven't bought a new Simmons in 10 years or so. I can't really personally speak to the current models, but several guys in our hunt club have used recent production models without complaints.

I do think the Burris FFII or the E1 are some of the best values in a hunting scope. That's the way I generally tend to lean when looking for a budget hunting scope these days.

Last edited by slowr1der; 03/21/24.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Yes- they are not the same.

They are made in South Korea. They are good scopes and from my sample, optically as good as the LOW Jap made Classics. The one I owned was very well finished .It also tracked well.

The thing only I don't like about them is they follow the current "Euro-trash" design trend in scopes- bulky Euro style oculars with talk capped turrets(Why?) and a few ounces heavier .

Having said all that, I would buy another if I need a scope for a low bolt lift rifle .

If the older Jap LOW Weavers were made again today they would be $200 to $300 . Most here would not buy them. Which explains why they are no longer made.

Last edited by jk16; 03/21/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Weaver experience is minimal, but I still find favor in the 2-7 and 3-9 Redfield Revolutions. Clicks are a little mushy, but that's been about all I can say negatively. Probably used 15 of them and haven't seen any issues yet for a basic "set it and forget it" hunting scope. The still pop up on the used market for $150-$190.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart

blush

Knew that and forgot.

I've got 5 of them, V-9, V-7, RV-7 and 2 K-2.5's. and never had a problem. The k 2.5's rode on 12 gauge pump slug guns for years and hundreds of rounds. Never got scoped, always held zero. The V 7 and V-9 are or have been on .30-06 and .308 rifles without issue. Never noticed any of them having an overly critical eye box.

I am trying to recall things from nearly 3 decades ago. I had one (maybe 2) 3-9x38s whatever series that was and a 3-9x50. The 50 did have a bit of a fussy eye box and what I recall as substantial tunnel vision. I had the 38 on a Ruger boat paddle 30-06. Eye relief wasn't terrible, but it was tight enough that in a sub-optimal field shooting position it'd could be an issue, and it was for me. Somewhere I have an old school printed pic of my Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. For some reason or another in my mind's eye I am seeing a Weaver on it. I'll know when I look at the pic. Nonetheless, they were really good scopes for the money and the tunnel vision eye relief complaint was not a huge deal for me with the exception of the scoping incident.

I still have a Weaver Nitrex that is fantastic. Wish I'd bought a load of those and the Grand Slams when Natchez closed them out.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Weaver Classic V scopes were very good. The only version that was a bit herky was the 2-10×38.

Forbidden Zoner
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Good thread.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The Weaver Classic V scopes were very good. The only version that was a bit herky was the 2-10×38.

Herky?

More like downright awful, like looking through the tube off a roll of paper towels.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
The Burris Fullfields are nice for the money in today's scopes. I'm not comparing them to a current Fullfield, but as far as cheap scopes I've had excellent reliability and function from the old Japan made Tasco's. Have two 3-9's yet that I've had for a LONG time. Been on everything under the sun and still work as intended. One of them is currently on a 22, the other on a 6mm.

I just recently bought a Japan made 4X Tasco on the classifieds here for $20. Don't know which gun I'll put it on yet, but I guarantee it will get used and I bet it will track and hold zero.

Interesting...back in the 70's I was poor but still bought my first ever new rifle. A Rem 788 in 308. Found a new 4x Tasco in a local gun shop and went hunting.

That Tasco is still going. I have it on a 22 rifle and it has never had an issue. The 788 went away in a divorce and I still wish I had it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Westman

Interesting...back in the 70's I was poor but still bought my first ever new rifle. A Rem 788 in 308. Found a new 4x Tasco in a local gun shop and went hunting.

That Tasco is still going. I have it on a 22 rifle and it has never had an issue. The 788 went away in a divorce and I still wish I had it.
I still have a couple of Japan made 3-9x32 Tascos from the '70's in use on .22's and while they are not as good optically as a modern scope they still work fine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Kevin Petrzilka, the guy in Nebraska who shot the 203 4/8" typical whitetail in 2010 killed it with a 788 in 22-250 using a Tasco 3.5-10x50 scope and 55 grain BTs.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Kevin Petrzilka, the guy in Nebraska who shot the 203 4/8" typical whitetail in 2010 killed it with a 788 in 22-250 using a Tasco 3.5-10x50 scope and 55 grain BTs.

My sister drive from NY to CA in a '66 VW Karmann Ghia.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

My sister drive from NY to CA in a '66 VW Karmann Ghia.

Sometimes you've got to make due with what you've got at the time, even it isn't what you wish you had for the job.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That’s amazing 260.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought the girls a Savage Axis XP in 243 a few years back.
It came with a weaver 3x9x40. I found it to be a poor scope and quickly removed it. My oldest daughter scoped herself (Just hit her shooting glasses) with it. I spent right around $200 cdn and put a Bushnell Banner2 in 4x12x40 and its much better scope in my opinion. The 3x9 weaver got put on the boys 22LR where its a much better fit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 007FJ
That’s amazing 260.

Just being where you had the opportunity to see and shoot that deer is amazing. Until that day, nobody in the Petrzilka family had even seen it. The luck of being at the right place at the right time.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sandpit

Ha! I thought mentioning the old Japan made Tasco's was going low. I didn't even bring up the Simmons. I got the exact same scope that was on my FIL's M70 30-06. He never shot it a lot, but normal shooting before season. I put well over 500 rounds through that rifle with that scope on. One of the better shooting rifles I've ever owned and it always wore that scope. It currently sits on a M98 30-06. Not quite as clear as the new Fullfield II, but clear enough and still works like it always did.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Those Jap Weavers and Elites are all I’ve ever needed…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a time when all my scopes were $100.

K2.5, K3, K4, K6 and K8. I didn't know that they were bad scopes because they worked.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother uses and swears by the newer Bushnells made in South Korea.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Bushnell Trophy back in the late 80s for around $100 to put atop my ruger tanger 30-06. It was a heck of an upgrade from the tasco that was on it when I bought it. I killed hogs and deer with it for 15 years banging around on a swamp buggy and 4 wheelers.

In 2003 I discovered the internet where much to my surprise I found out my scope was inferior and needed replaced immediately.

Now I will admit my VX3s were an upgrade but the old Bushnell held zero for years at a time under very rough use during long seasons. It works just fine all those years.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 03/22/24.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I bought a Bushnell Trophy back in the late 80s for around $100 to put atop my ruger tanger 30-06. It was a heck of an upgrade from the tasco that was on it when I bought it. I killed hogs and deer with it for 15 years banging around on a swamp buggy and 4 wheelers.

In 2003 I discovered the internet where much to my surprise I found out my scope was inferior and needed replaced immediately.

Now I will admit my VX3s were an upgrade but the old Bushnell held zero for years at a time under very rough use during long seasons. It works just fine all those years.
Those Trophies were/are good tough scopes. I'd take one of those over a Banner any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I put one on my dad's 300 win mag back in the 90's, and that scope is still alive. It's a silver finished one, that he thought would look good on his Ruger boat paddle stock model. That scope never skipped a beat and worked great for him. After I got the rifle back (in 2019), I pulled the scope and put a better one on, only because I wanted more magnification.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For cheap scopes I only use the Burris FF2 anymore mostly the 4.5-14 model now $159 at Amazon.

I’ve owned & used your cheap scopes banner until the reticle literally fell apart. The Swift lost zero on a tv quality buck in CO at 300 yards. Still have a Sightron S2!- it’s solid as a rock always works. The VX2 just OK but for me the Zeiss conquests are now on elk rifles with mixed bag of others. Son & grandson got FF2’s on their 300 mags no problems.

If you walk a 100 yards to your deer stand & skip bad weather most scopes work. 10+ miles through oak brus sage & steep slopes better scopes have better results.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Those Trophies were/are good tough scopes. I'd take one of those over a Banner any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I put one on my dad's 300 win mag back in the 90's, and that scope is still alive. It's a silver finished one, that he thought would look good on his Ruger boat paddle stock model. That scope never skipped a beat and worked great for him. After I got the rifle back (in 2019), I pulled the scope and put a better one on, only because I wanted more magnification.
That trophy 3-9 is now mounted on a marlin 3030. It fit pretty good on it. I dont use the 3030 these days but the scope is still in use. Sort of…

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

^ lol, same. I've had one on one of my slug guns since the early 90's and its still doing fine. not sure how i ever killed anything with it, as "bad" as it is.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I personally think most of this comes down to solid mounting in good rings, degreasing threads and thread locking it all down tight.

I have an inexpensive Simmons 3x9 that I bought at walmart 10-13 years ago. Its mounted in weaver grand slam steel rings from walmart also, it was all degreased and thread locker applied. It sits on top of a Savage 110 in .270 Winchester.
That rifle has bounced around in trucks, kubotas, kawasaki mules and such for 4 years going and still puts my handloads into a 1"1/2 at 100 yards.
I have SWFA's on several rifles and they are great but even that Simmons was mounted the same and so were the burris, and bushnell trophy.....and they are all still doing great.

Best
HeavyDove

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
This is an interesting conversation, and one that's long
overdue in my humble opinion. The consensus on about every forum is any scope under a weeks wages will fail within it's first hunt, and an easy one at that. I'm not a wealthy guy, but have owned fairly nice rifle for several decades. Brownings, Kimbers, Christensens, Weatherbys etc and have never spent more than 300 dollars on my scopes. Usually vx1 and 2's, Freedoms, and a few Crossfire ll's and have never had a failure of any kind. Good mounts and rings, torqued properly, and 0 issues. All on 30.06 and up. 338's, 300 wm and wby and so on. Snow, rain, freezing cold. I would love to own Nightforce, high Mavens etc but I just justify it when I had perfectly reliable scopes for much less money. Cheers to those that shared their experiences. Im going to duck now, I'm sure mud slinging is coming my way. Regards

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Just bought a Bushnell 3-9x40 last week at a yard sale for $20. Clear as a bell to my eyes. Not sure what model it is......old enough that it has aluminum turret caps, not plastic. I'm going to mount it on a M70 30-06 that for whatever reason is my hardest kicking 30-06. If it tracks and holds zero which I suspect it will, I'll put it to good use. I'll buy those kind of scopes all day every day at that money and never question it.

S
S
Nikon prostaff or vortex diamondback. Not a fan of the low end Leupolds so I wouldn't bother going below a VX-3 with them.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The last 4-16x44 LOW Weaver I found used about a year ago had plain fine crosshairs, no duplex. I don't recall if it was $45 or $60 but I bought it and gave it to a buddy who helps out w/local kids doing the rimfire matches. I'm sure I could've found something to put it on for myself but I figured that the kids needed it more than I would.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by horse1
The last 4-16x44 LOW Weaver I found used about a year ago had plain fine crosshairs, no duplex. I don't recall if it was $45 or $60 but I bought it and gave it to a buddy who helps out w/local kids doing the rimfire matches. I'm sure I could've found something to put it on for myself but I figured that the kids needed it more than I would.

Those are $200-$350 on ebay. Like everyone has said, here, they are damn good scopes. Work great on a rimfire, for sure. Good on you for giving that one a good home.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Plus 1 on the Nikons

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Plus 1 on the Nikons

Nikons were much better, when they had a warranty if something went wrong. The funny thing about that, though, is that rarely happened. They were/are pretty utilitarian with good lines. At least the older ones were more svelte than the newer ones. Good robust scopes with decent glass for the money. Some tracked better than others as well.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Yeah there’s a diff between the pro staff and buckmasters I think they were priced around the same

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.