-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The behavior of any internet discussion forum is dependent on a the members.
A forum, just like any other grouping of humans, is NOT static. Membership tends to be pretty homogeneous when it starts. A few like minded folks getting together to discuss common interests.
As time goes by, different folks, with different outlooks join.
The 'flavor' of the forum, if you will, starts to change.

One of the few constants in life, is that there is nothing static, unless it is moribund.

Sam......

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's all the fault of Lee24.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by curdog4570
There were no " gangs " or " cliques " . Each man spoke for himself .

On this particular site, this is definitely an issue.

You have someone that starts trouble, and his cronies instantly pile on.

There are/were/will be a few notorious posters, that seem to do nothing but cause trouble, and a whole flock of hangers-on will egg them on for more, just encouraging the bad behavior and causing more divisions on the boards.

Or somebody finds himself at odds with another poster, and suddenly is ostracized by everybody, because one of the two is more "popular" in the club.

It's sometimes almost humorous. You can usually predict in advance who is going to come to each other's "aid".

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
He invented and engineered dischord.....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I blame it on the Californians.
They ruin everything.
laugh

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't been here very long, but I quickly realized you had to be able to defend yourself or you would be shark chum.

JM

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
LOTS of folks here that seemingly don't hunt nor shoot. Can't fathom where all the folks that want to talk Religion and Politics all came from or if the know which is the pointy end of a rifle.

And then you have a group that are just like JO and are what is wrong with this country. To many damn liberals and enough folks to kiss their ass.

Just saying.
"

I ain't never been important enough to get involved in a real messy deal here . But I can tell you that in all these years , the only resentment that lasted more than a day was when a guy questioned my credentials as a hunter/shooter with no evidence to back up his claim . It still pisses me off when I think about it !

So I would tread lightly in that direction , Scott .

Having said that , one poster told me he didn't own a firearm and hadn't ever been a hunter so you are partially correct . The info was unsolicited and came via PM so it stays private .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColdBore
On this particular site, this is definitely an issue.

You have someone that starts trouble, and his cronies instantly pile on.

There are/were/will be a few notorious posters, that seem to do nothing but cause trouble, and a whole flock of hangers-on will egg them on for more, just encouraging the bad behavior and causing more divisions on the boards.

Or somebody finds himself at odds with another poster, and suddenly is ostracized by everybody, because one of the two is more "popular" in the club.

It's sometimes almost humorous. You can usually predict in advance who is going to come to each other's "aid".
Generally, though, it's only the neanderthals who engage in the kind of behavior you're describing, so even a non-neanderthal, though he be popular among his own sort, will usually find that he's on his own when being piled on.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What was it Gringo Loco said? "MPH syndrome"...still cracks me up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me being in the old bunch too I got to say you are right cd. Way different than it used to be since the campfire got big.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

Don't start on my brother again..............

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I feel it's not so much that the Campfire got big as it is the Internet making this world so much smaller and with news saturation being so instantaneous, opinions related to such news are immediately possible,rather than delayed.

Huge difference in what the Internet has made available and accomplished for us from as little as 10 years ago till now.

10 years ago, guys like Edwards and Sanford and even Congress could have delayed dissemination of facts,knowledge and response by significantly longer periods of time than they can do now.

News, info and opinions toward such are immediate now and when it hits a site such as this, the varied responses are the norm and something peculiarly related to the number of members here.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
I feel it's not so much that the Campfire got big as it is the Internet making this world so much smaller and with news saturation being so instantaneous, opinions related to such news are immediately possible,rather than delayed.

Huge difference in what the Internet has made available and accomplished for us from as little as 10 years ago till now.

10 years ago, guys like Edwards and Sanford and even Congress could have delayed dissemination of facts,knowledge and response by significantly longer periods of time than they can do now.

News, info and opinions toward such are immediate now and when it hits a site such as this, the varied responses are the norm and something peculiarly related to the number of members here.

You may sure be right about that bud, and the downside is that tempts way too many to go off half cocked before the full story gets out.

We have all seen arguments on here that were really about nothing when more facts came to light.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Fire is great the way it is.Rick should be Thanked for that.Now if these Double posting weenies would quit it....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The speciality forums, as a rule, are civil. The one thing that has changed since 2001 is the advent of the Troll. Trolls exist to stir the pot. They are effective in causing chaos, and thrive on animosity.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG
Back in the day I was a bartender at Stasius' Bar in Northeast Minneapolis - University Avenue and Lowry. Maybe I've thrown out some of the Campfire's Minnesota contingent. smirk

shocked shocked
'Tis a small world!
I never got thrown out though. smile

There are many copies.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

Don't start on my brother again..............

OK....OK...but you gotta admit...he engineered dischord... wink

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Has the whole internet become coarser and more vulgar in these last nine or so years ? Or is it just the 'fire ?

It's the whole damn world not just the internet, but the internet has been the most abused part.
With total anonymity groups of so called adults can act like complete asshats. And yes I know I can be in that boat from time to time...

My opinion is this global problem stems from too much electronic communication and interaction. I hope, unrealistic of course, for the days of no electricity and horses to reemerge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW
The Fire is great the way it is.Rick should be Thanked for that.Now if these Double posting weenies would quit it....

We got a saying around here, "the bigger the belt buckle, the smaller the Winer W�srtchen", same goes for tank pictures.

Last edited by rkamp; 02/04/10.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rkamp
Originally Posted by 7 STW

We got a saying around here, "the bigger the belt buckle, the smaller the Winer W�srtchen", same goes for tank pictures.

I love it when you trolls identify yourselves right off. Saves a lot of time and effort. Thanks.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.