-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is another reason why it is difficult for someone to sell a used high dollar scope in a limited market through the classifieds at a near new asking price. A person in the market for such a scope is more than likely willing to pay a few dollars more to get a new scope sealed in the box to guarantee that the previous owner did not improperly install the scope and wrench it out of wack. Buyers tend to gamble on an unknown scope only when the price is marked down well below cost.

I'm starting to think that very few actually know how to properly mount a scope:(

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SU35
Some of them are repeated here time after time as a problem with the scope when it in fact is a case of improper mounting or defective mounts.

I just got off the phone with a Leupold Tech. I asked him if is was possible that I mounted my scope in the wrong place or over tightened the screws.

He said it was possible and this is the solution to the problem he gave me.

"Avoid mounting the rings over the dimple on the scope. This dimple is the stud for the erector spring."

"When tightening your screws down, tighten them evenly with an even gap on both sides to 28" lbs".

"I then said I don't have a way of measuring to 28" lbs. The tech then told me that when I tighten the screws down, tighten till you feel a slight spring on your torx wrench, then it is tight enough".

A very simple solution, just wish Leupold made it more clear on their mounting instructions.

and there you have it, probably could have saved 500 million emails regards Leupold failures..

Those words of John Barnes "farmer tight" pops into mind.

Jim62 thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge but again I have been around a rifle or two as well.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well Jimmy P.

I did not post here to help you at all.

I responded to provide a little bit of a truthful counterpoint to your post about the rear ring placment somehow being all Leupold's fault on any given rifle scope combo..

If you have "been around a rifle or two" it sure has not improved your intellect much.

Last edited by jim62; 05/04/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
jim62 reminds me of another x-spert azz-hat we used to have here some years back. Rude self absorbed know it all's.

He's full of crap with no content.

I'm going to flush him down the ignore.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's fine... SU35.

Now you and old JimmyP can go back to sucking each other's Charizos . wink

You seem to do a lot of that around here.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
*** You are ignoring this user ***

You're to late crap-head.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looking in the mirror again? wink

To all gunmaker critics-
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
*** You are ignoring this user ***

LOL,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hired Gun,

Good post.

I have written about the same mounting issues for a while now, but a lot of people just don't get it. In fact the head tech guy for a custom rifle firm once complained to me about so many Leupolds being "bad out of the box." It turned out he was cranking down on the ring screws as if tightening lug nuts. (Luckily, he doesn't work there anymore.)

I would also like to respond to an earlier post that stated Leupold makes "mid-priced" scopes. This is only partially true. Leupold makes low-priced scopes, mid-priced scopes and high-priced scopes.

One of my recent scope tests has been of a 30mm-tube Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x, which retails at around $1000 and is designed to compete with European scopes in the same price range. It tested perfectly in every one of my trials, inclouding adjustments. The optics rank right in there with top-notch Euros. The optics test, by the way, was not done by just looking through the scope, but by using an optics chart after dark with a controlled light source.

I have had the VX-7 on a .375 H&H since I got it, and have mostly been firing top-velocity 300-grain loads. It hasn't shown the slightest bit of distress, and I've put a lot of rounds through the rifle.

Then again, this is a sample of one.

Glad you posted MD to add your considerable credibilty to this subject. I'll also take the opportunity to add that D'Arcy Echols, arguably one of the finest gunmakers anywhere, also recommeds Leupolds for this Big Bores because of their durability. So clearly it's not about the name, just great value for one tough scope. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There was a interesting quote from Mr. Echols recently... shoulda bookmarked it, dang it... anyway it was to the effect that he/they hate all scopes equally. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Guys,
15 pages of a lot of scope talk and a large percentage of it BS. We have beat this horse to death. Where it's made, how many fail, scope mounting issues, tracking issues, and on and on. A Leupold employee cleared it all up for us on page 13. Torque specs cleared up and published in every set of instructions included with every scope also cleared up for those that don't take the time to read the instructions.
600 Americans working at the Beaverton facility at good paying jobs manufacturing a good quality product and selling tens of thousands of them annually. I think we should support them not try and tear them down.
Like i have mentioned in previous posts tell me how many scopes Leupold has built and how many have actually failed not including the ones that were used to turn the front ring into the base, the ones that the rings were torqued too tight on, the ones installed on rifles drilled and tapped off center that are sprung before they are ever used and that run out of windage adjustment before they zero.
My bet is the return for repair and warranty where the problem is actually a manufacturing defect is so low the percentage so small that it probably won't compute. Everyone in business strives for a perfect product and for every customer to be satisfied but in our world that is an impossible feat.
No one does it in the optics business nor do they do it in my business or any other. Knowing that Leupold is making scopes and working at 100% of their manufacturing capacity should tell us something. It tells me there are a whole lot more customers tickled with the Leupold product than those that are not.
Citing a suspected or alleged failure is one thing bashing the product and/or calling each other names is something entirely different. My Bible verse of the day today is Psalms 19 V:14.

Dave

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jim what are you 62 years old? You must have led a long and bitter life or just recently gone through a bad divorce or something. I cannot possibly think of why anyone could come across in the course of a normal conversation as antagonistic as you are without just cause. Or perhaps you fancy yourself a bully? Well keep up the angry attacking postings in regards to any opinion that is contrary to what you accept as truth and I am sure you will go the same way that oldman1942 did.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well..JimmyP let me ask you the same question..

What the [bleep] is YOUR problem???

I merely ANSWERED your post about the ring placement with FACTS.

I did not denegrate you or make fun of you, just disagreed with your take on the situation about the ring placement.

That's all.

YOU on the other hand respond with the snide comment about "having been around a rifle or two"..

Maybe you should take your own advice and stop acting like such an azzhole yourself. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll start by humming a few bars............

Sound card needed...

Leupold by ya my Lord.....Leupold by ya......

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Guys,
15 pages of a lot of scope talk and a large percentage of it BS. We have beat this horse to death. Where it's made, how many fail, scope mounting issues, tracking issues, and on and on. A Leupold employee cleared it all up for us on page 13. Torque specs cleared up and published in every set of instructions included with every scope also cleared up for those that don't take the time to read the instructions.
600 Americans working at the Beaverton facility at good paying jobs manufacturing a good quality product and selling tens of thousands of them annually. I think we should support them not try and tear them down.
Like i have mentioned in previous posts tell me how many scopes Leupold has built and how many have actually failed not including the ones that were used to turn the front ring into the base, the ones that the rings were torqued too tight on, the ones installed on rifles drilled and tapped off center that are sprung before they are ever used and that run out of windage adjustment before they zero.
My bet is the return for repair and warranty where the problem is actually a manufacturing defect is so low the percentage so small that it probably won't compute. Everyone in business strives for a perfect product and for every customer to be satisfied but in our world that is an impossible feat.
No one does it in the optics business nor do they do it in my business or any other. Knowing that Leupold is making scopes and working at 100% of their manufacturing capacity should tell us something. It tells me there are a whole lot more customers tickled with the Leupold product than those that are not.
Citing a suspected or alleged failure is one thing bashing the product and/or calling each other names is something entirely different. My Bible verse of the day today is Psalms 19 V:14.

Dave

Dave,

Great post. Especially that first paragraph.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me and Jim62 had a go around a while back but have since had very cordial dealings and he is a very knowledgable and skilled gun enthusiast who is quite willing to help those who ask.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
jim62 & SU35,

Obviously the two of you are unable to agree to disagree. Rather than calling each other names on the threads please do it by PMs.

sincerely, idahoguy101

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Politics, religion, and the Optics forum........

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Part of the reason Echols & Co. hates all scopes (well, not all, but most) is that his customers keep insisting on putting high-power variables on all their rifles, no matter what they're chambered for. "Really high-powered" means any scope that needs parallax adjustment--yet another moving part that can go sproing under stress.

Obviously, this is pretty much nuts on a rifle meant for shooting big animals at moderate ranges. But many people want to shoot those 1/2" groups even with a .375 H&H, but some even demand it from bigger rifles. (As D'Arcy once said during one of our fairly frequent phone conversations about scopes, "Just how -------- small are these elephants they're shooting these days?")

A higher-powered, parallax adjustable scope tends to work fine on a hard-kicking rifle IF it's a true tactical scope, but not so good if it's a lightweight scope, no matter who makes it.

By the way, D'Arcy firmly agrees with me that fixed-powers are tougher in lightweight scopes, one reason among many that I have been converting my harder-kicking rifles to fixed powers over the past few years. But he has made very little headway with his customers in that directions, partly because most of them believe that any expensive variable is super-tough.

All of this is why he doesn't mount the scopes customers buy anymore--until the final shipping when he sends the whole package off. Instead he tests the rifles with his scopes, which as I recall are a 3x Leupld for the really big rifles and a 16x Leupold Mark 4 for the smaller, longer-range rifles. Or at least they were the last time we talked about it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Idaho,
As much as I appreciated Jim62's comment about my post my advice would be the same as yours to anyone posting in any thread on the Campfire. Every time I look here for load info or new and neat gun and reloading or fishing advice someone turns a thread or two into a weiner measuring contest and/or there are those (and we know who they are) who dominate the forum in practically all categories who seem to never be wrong about any topic.
The optics forum and ask the gunwriters are the favorites for the name calling and product, political or personal bashing. I have noticed in the past few days that Rick is injecting some new topics for discussion and they are welcome. On the CAmpfire there for everyone to see are a few posting regularly and dominating the discussions and members are staying off the forum because of its current content.
I certainly feel that way sometime. There are a ton of good posters on this forum that post useful info about topics that interest us all and a ton of guys and gals that have a lot of experiences that I would like to read about but having to sift through all the BS to get to the good is getting tougher.
If everyone would just relax and have fun it would help alot. The elementary behavior resulting in bomb throwing and name calling is ridiculous and it would be nice if it stopped.
Every weekend some racer threatens a promoter and says they are never coming back when they are the product of a rule or procedural enforcement. Those are the most famous words in racing. The driver and his crew are the first through the pit gate the following weekend. My point is enforce some rules of standard etiquette and behavior and things will straighten up quick.
If someone thinks they are right all the time then by all means run for office. That way there is a good chrony reading of how right you really are.

Dave

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,851
Posts18,496,993
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.