Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The time to jump in is when the economy is down. The only way to go is up. Sounds like you have a "what if" moment that you might let pass you by. May not come again.

Plan carefully but go for it. (remember: You get what you paid for and this was free)

Save an elk, shoot a cow.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As others have said, make sure you have your eyes wide open and a realistic plan. There are some who will just let their creditors suck air while they walk away from their obligations. I'm not wired that way.

One thing that frosts me is these human interest stories about somebody giving up a lucrative career to follow their dream of making leather sandals or fishing lures. In most of those cases it is somebody with a big law practice or a stock broker or such with a gazillion dollar nest egg. Good luck to a typical wage slave trying to pull that off.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Depends on your age, and debt load. I'm 59 and 1/2, and was out of work for 10 mos. I have a job, now, that I like, and am happy. If you are in your 30's and don't have undue debt, or your wife works, GO FOR IT! what the hell, you only have one life to live! Live it to the fullest! Don't set back and say I wish I'd have done that.....hell that's why I'm going back to Africa, with my son, next August! Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!grin

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I�m all for people being able to pull off �perfect world� scenarios if they can, but I view work as part of the human condition for all but the independently wealthy. From the beginning of mankind until about 75 years ago, people worked in the fields, the woods, the factories or their stores until their bodies gave out and they moved in with their kids or they dropped dead. We now have invented a number of ways for people to earn money to buy stuff that gives us the flexibility to not have to do that. If what I do for work allows me to accomplish whatever else I want to get out of life, I call it good even if I don�t necessarily like the work. Of course, my idea of a good life is to not have to work at all, so no �work� is ever going to satisfy that goal unless it throws off enough cash or a pension to satisfy future needs. My work does not define me, so I don�t worry about it as long as I enjoy my non-work time.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3822036/1

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Why people come on here lookin' for "advice"?

Job advice,..tax advice,..relationship advice,..shoe advice,....

I'm gonna let evahbuddy in on a secret.

Ain't nobody here *got* no good advice on stuff like that.

I can lend a little information about primers and cast bullet alloy,...but if ya wanna quit your job, it's up to you to decide.

As for taxes,...all I know is, they'll lock ya ass up if ya don't pay 'em.

Concerning relationships,... women provide 3 things,...nookie, cookin, and an income supplement. If you're gettin' two outta three, ya done good.

My feet ain't like yours but I like Red Wing brogans.

So there ya go. If it ain't good enough, write a letter ta Dear Abby.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife got a kick out of the relationship advice the first time you posted it.

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I appreciate all the responses folks. While we aren't wealthy, we ain't hurting like some either. The tough part would be walking away from a solid paycheck into the great unknown. If I was 20 again and in this position I would not hesitate, but then again I did some pretty stupid stuff when I was 20 too. grin sometimes you get the best advise from people you don't know and who don't know you. I'm not quitting tomorrow but I'm not walking away either. Much more due diligence to do.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
My wife got a kick out of the relationship advice the first time you posted it.

Not bad for my 3000th post. Totally unintentional.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Only you know what your expenses are and what you can afford to do.

You say you aren't afraid of hard work, then pursue your desires as a part time venture until you have all your ducks in a row. Just be careful to provide enough time for your family.........that can bite you in the ass before you know it.

One other thing............even though this suggestion of mine means mores hours it just might help you feel better at the day gig because you know that you are on to something better!

B
B
Have you clarified your relationship with your current employer, What does happen is 2 people marching to a different tune.
He may not be a SOB, just hasn't explained his position & your position clearly, so possibly a sit down might work.
Having said that- If you can see an opportunity is todays' depressed economy and the figures stack up well, CLEARLY set out you plan and work CLOSELY with you partner to get it to the jump off stage and you still feel confident - As we say 'HAVE A GO'
I jumped 20 years ago, don't regret it but it is hard work & personal discipline is the key factor

Bravo 27
A Friend DOWN UNDER

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"thinking about quiting - am I nutz?"

yep, I would tell ya why, but you will do what you want anyway.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Opportunities exist in good and bad economic times. You know the business and the risks. Weigh them carefully and do what you think is best.

I've stayed at jobs I didn't like for family reasons. I won't be making that error much longer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1234, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,366
Posts18,506,409
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.