-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was none other than the OLD singing cowboy , Tex Ritter, who was the first to come up with the idea of :

Issuing guns to those airline passengers who didn't bring their own .

Or

Make everybody fly naked .

Looks like option two is gonna win out .

FWIW ,I took my last flight on a commercial airline in 2007.

And I'm positioned to be able to stick to that statement .

Thank God .grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hmmm.....think I'll try to get a job as a 'groper'.....and possibly Dolly Parton will walk up for a flight!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
The Liberty Boys tried to explain this to you years ago--but you would have none of it
+1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Steve, when did we buy into the notion that driving, flying, etc. is a privilege and not a right?
The airline and I are conducting a business transaction. The airline has a vested interest in their planes not falling out of the sky. The airline therefore has the right to put whatever stipulations I might accept into that agreement. Should those demands get too stringent, I can choose another carrier, or another mode of transportation.
But now the government has gotten themselves between me and the carrier, in our transaction. Now I have no say as to the terms of the transaction, so the government can impose whatever restrictions it likes, and I have no option but another form of transportation.
The way i see it, I should have a right to engage in any of these activities, as i see fit, without loss of basic rights, until there is a compelling and legal reason to forbid me from doing so.
Where did I go wrong?

Remember, Steve is a lawyer and a third tier member of the ruling class. He favors big government/big brother as it means more business for him. The Constitution be damn, it only gets in the way of making money unless he can use the Constitution to make even more money.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
So far, with little under a half a day going by, you're ahead of your bff hawkie in the frazzled brains department. Keep strong as you know how much he likes going to bed having won the day on stupid.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Steve, when did we buy into the notion that driving, flying, etc. is a privilege and not a right?
The airline and I are conducting a business transaction. The airline has a vested interest in their planes not falling out of the sky. The airline therefore has the right to put whatever stipulations I might accept into that agreement. Should those demands get too stringent, I can choose another carrier, or another mode of transportation.
But now the government has gotten themselves between me and the carrier, in our transaction. Now I have no say as to the terms of the transaction, so the government can impose whatever restrictions it likes, and I have no option but another form of transportation.
The way i see it, I should have a right to engage in any of these activities, as i see fit, without loss of basic rights, until there is a compelling and legal reason to forbid me from doing so.
Where did I go wrong?

Remember, Steve is a lawyer and a third tier member of the ruling class. He favors big government/big brother as it means more business for him. The Constitution be damn, it only gets in the way of making money unless he can use the Constitution to make even more money.

I don't make the reality, Dude. Just report it for those of us who don't live in private fantasy worlds.

as usual, you self-designated Liberty Guys use the word "Constitutional" to mean "something I like" and "unconstitutional" to mean "something I don't like", with no clue what you're talking about in terms of real world statutory or Constitutional analysis.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys remember, Bob and Steve are lawyers and are members of the third tier ruling class. They both favor big government/big brother as long as the old establishment ruling class of the Republican Party are running things.

Once you understand them you can put them on ignore like I do because you know what they are going to say with even knowing. I will concede that occasional I'll look at a post from Steve when he post a news article of interest. Bob, on the other hand, only post insults about how dumb everybody in the room is, except him, when in fact the real dummy in the room is him. Bob knows little, if anything, about American history, American political history, or American politics. It's not a matter of a difference of opinion but of historical and political ignorance.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yeah, dude, I'm sure you aced your Con Law courses.....oh, wait....you never took any. but surely you did well in your Common Law history class....oh, wait, you never studied that either. But then there was federal procedure....oops, didn't ever study that, either, did you? And I guess it's the same story for Federal Regulation, right?

so when you start spouting off about American constitutional history and law and federal statutes, I will give it exactly the same level of credence vs. somebody who actually studied it, practices law, and has to take CLE courses every year as you would give to somebody who looked up some symptoms on WEB MD. com versus a real doctor.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
holy chit the campfire, you learn something new everday!

i had NO idea Bob was dumb, just thought he was a little weak on football prognostication

who knew? wink

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Guys remember, Bob and Steve are lawyers and are members of the third tier ruling class. They both favor big government/big brother as long as the old establishment ruling class of the Republican Party are running things.

Once you understand them you can put them on ignore like I do because you know what they are going to say with even knowing. I will concede that occasional I'll look at a post from Steve when he post a news article of interest. Bob, on the other hand, only post insults about how dumb everybody in the room is, except him, when in fact the real dummy in the room is him. Bob knows little, if anything, about American history, American political history, or American politics. It's not a matter of a difference of opinion but of historical and political ignorance.

====================

When you can put together 3-5 sentences without making more than 3 errors then maybe I'll pay a scant bit of attention to your "I've done it all and I know things" bravado. With you, I can see the wheel moving but the mouse is dead.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Sure got the big Republican government, status quo supporters worked up this morning........and heck, I wasn't even trying hard........ grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Sure got the big Republican government, status quo supporters worked up this morning........and heck, I wasn't even trying hard........ grin

Casey
You've really got the knack. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
You of course see the law as it is, and has been interpreted, rather than as I, or anyone else, who sees it as we want to.
I do not personally see the right to travel, or drive as a privilege, but it has been adjudicated so. Therefore that is the reality. Until such time as some rulings are changed, I guess a new law clarifying the interpretations now on the books will be necessary.
Again, thanks for the reply.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
thanks....I don't know what the sage of the front range is babbling about as far as the status quo....I don't think anybody supports this latest security theater from TSA. But if you don't approach it from the reality of existing law, you're just sort of acting out your frustration rather than acting like an adult trying to change an offensive policy.

unconstitutional is not simply a synonym for "I don't like it", which is the way Casey is fond of using it.

the thing lurking behind all this is, of course, the need to do what the libs call profiling, which I call looking for terrorists where they are likely to be rather than frisking nuns and children.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
thanks....I don't know what the sage of the front range is babbling about as far as the status quo....I don't think anybody supports this latest security theater from TSA. But if you don't approach it from the reality of existing law, you're just sort of acting out your frustration rather than acting like an adult trying to change an offensive policy.

unconstitutional is not simply a synonym for "I don't like it", which is the way Casey is fond of using it.

the thing lurking behind all this is, of course, the need to do what the libs call profiling, which I call looking for terrorists where they are likely to be rather than frisking nuns and children.

What you are failing to mention is, the actions/legislation you supported--and defended--under the Bush administration simply opened the door to the latest groping fiasco by the TSA.

We tried to tell you so, but I realize you're gonna dodge that reality.

And "constitutional" to you is what is partisanally convenient at the moment--at least I'm a bit more consistent and straightforward in my interpretation wink

And I don't disagree with you about profiling......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the Patriot Act, which neither inconvenienced nor even affected US citizens, has zip to do with the TSA or this most recent agency rule.

it's just another one of your rallying cries....like "neo-con" and "unconstitutional".....

tell me again, Casey, how did the PA affect life in the enclave? I forget.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
the Patriot Act, which neither inconvenienced nor even affected US citizens, has zip to do with the TSA or this most recent agency rule.

it's just another one of your rallying cries....like "neo-con" and "unconstitutional".....

tell me again, Casey, how did the PA affect life in the enclave? I forget.
For starters, creating arbitrary power of arrest, detention, and torture, has (to say the very least) a chilling effect on the exercise of one's rights.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,366 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,866
Posts18,478,673
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.