Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The National Weather Service is predicting a "colder than average" winter in Montana, which may just be an odd's-on bet after the past week.

On ther other hand, it may be time for a few colder winters, after a decade or two of milder winters (with one or two exceptions). Which convinced a lot of people that Montana was LA North.

When I first started hunting in Montana in the 1960's, there was snow on the ground about half the time on opening day of the big game rifle season in the mountains, though most of the time admittedly not much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I admit to being more than concerned with our declining elk herds. The obvious concern is the uncontrolled "predator on steroids" issue. The last couple of days, I have noticed many more elk traveling down the interstate (several super bulls). This latest storm will undoubtedly increase the harvest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
You should have filed a complaint to the Board Of Outfitter's for unappropriate conduct...

they threatened legal action we didnt join, we told them to show up an try stopping the kids from getting in the boatsand if they chose that rout the 30 of us would have no problem running the 2 of them out to the middle of the lake and dropping them off.....didnt hear from them again, half expected them to show up with cops though i couldnt see the Valley County sheriff getting in the middle of it when FWP had no problem with it.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by duckcall
I will probably visit the local watering holes a few times also.

You are braver than I am!

TFF......told our new editor from Indiana if he went there he was on his own, dont call us to come help him grin the guy has gotten a hell of an education the short time he has been here both good and bad but he is freezing to death......had to buy a heater for him to put under his desk to thaw out his toes crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pointer
I do get a bit aggravated when folks take what I say (or type) out of context.

You got me, I am an internet tough guy. I put on a Dog the Bounty Hunter wig and "tribal" arm band when I post. If I'm really feeling it, I'll blast some Guns N Roses through the HiFi to really get me pumped to give out some cyber b!tch slaps. Welcome to the Jungle BABY!!!!!!

Havent you gone and got all sassy since moving away from the promised land grin Hope all is well.

Oh, and a big thanks to you guys for sending DINK to Wyoming smirk

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Elk, I saw a herd of approx. 40 cows with only a single raghorn bull in their midst this AM. In this zone only a brow tined bull can be taken. I saw a tremendous 10 point WT at approx. 1000 yds. plus. I will try to rattle him in tomorrow AM. Cold this morning but lots of critters moving. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by pointer
I do get a bit aggravated when folks take what I say (or type) out of context.

You got me, I am an internet tough guy. I put on a Dog the Bounty Hunter wig and "tribal" arm band when I post. If I'm really feeling it, I'll blast some Guns N Roses through the HiFi to really get me pumped to give out some cyber b!tch slaps. Welcome to the Jungle BABY!!!!!!

Havent you gone and got all sassy since moving away from the promised land grin Hope all is well.

Oh, and a big thanks to you guys for sending DINK to Wyoming smirk
With little reason to or places to go outside, I am getting a bit jumpy. But, I do like DOG! Hope things 'there' are still going well. If you know someone who chases kitty-kats I may be interested next winter!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got back from my annual trip,man was it cold. grins grin

My buddy took a dandy 5x5 whitetail,and I got a pretty fair 5x8 mulie buck.

Life is good and Montana is my second home,if I can't get a tag next year,I'll stay home,but hopefully that won't happen.

But there is a bright side to the tags I'll get in the future.I'll be able to hunt public land with some of the people I've met here.

That would be pretty cool.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 11/29/10.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I also just got back from a Montana deer hunt along the Powder River. There were 5 of us hunting and all but one guy filled their tags. He could have but kept 'waiting for the BIG one' which never showed up. We took two 8 pt. white tails, one was a 4x4 and the other a 5x3, one 5x5 mulie and one mulie doe. The weather was COLD with lows around ZERO and highs in the upper singles. There was 6-8 inchs of snow on the ground also. Everyone had a great time and a great hunt all on public land!! We talked to a couple of guys that were using outfitters. They said they hadn't seen any deer as good as the ones we took in two days of hunting. We tried to bag a couple of Wyoming speed goats but had no luck.
We applied in 05 for the first time and again in 06 with no luck. In 07 we all got tags. Tried again in 08 and 09, again no luck but we got tags this year. We seem to be getting tags every 2-3 years. Don't know if I'll go back again as draging deer out of public land is a young man's job and I'm getting kinda long in the tooth. My knees have been hurting big time after the trip last week.

Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1234, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,712
Posts18,514,048
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.