I also just got back from a Montana deer hunt along the Powder River. There were 5 of us hunting and all but one guy filled their tags. He could have but kept 'waiting for the BIG one' which never showed up. We took two 8 pt. white tails, one was a 4x4 and the other a 5x3, one 5x5 mulie and one mulie doe. The weather was COLD with lows around ZERO and highs in the upper singles. There was 6-8 inchs of snow on the ground also. Everyone had a great time and a great hunt all on public land!! We talked to a couple of guys that were using outfitters. They said they hadn't seen any deer as good as the ones we took in two days of hunting. We tried to bag a couple of Wyoming speed goats but had no luck.
We applied in 05 for the first time and again in 06 with no luck. In 07 we all got tags. Tried again in 08 and 09, again no luck but we got tags this year. We seem to be getting tags every 2-3 years. Don't know if I'll go back again as draging deer out of public land is a young man's job and I'm getting kinda long in the tooth. My knees have been hurting big time after the trip last week.