When did I say that I get no breaks in hunting? But they aren't as constant or numerous as a lot of people would imagine.

In Montana I buy my tags just like anybody else--except for the fact that in over 30 years of applying I've never drawn a bighorn ram, moose or mountain goat tag, or even a bull elk tag for a trophy area.

I do get invited on maybe a couple of hunts a year paid for by various other people. But when I book hunts myself, its very rare to get any break just because I'm a writer. In fact I can count the times that's happened on the fingers of one hand, and have fingers left over.

I booked two outfitted hunts for myself last fall, one in Canada and one in another western state. On the Canadian hunt I did get a discount--because I have been on the outfitter's cancellation hunt list for several years. Anybody else could have gotten on the same list, and done the same hunt for the same price. On the U.S. hunt I paid full price just like everybody else.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck