Originally Posted by CBB
Headwatermike, thanks for the response, no need to apologize. I have been part of hijacking threads myself..
I appreciate the info you passed on.
Based on the amount of time..5 days for my prospective hunt an elk and a deer may not be realistic given there may be 2-3 of us in the hunt.

Yeah, you had better have your poop in a group if you are going to fill elk tags in 5 days. Hopefully you will have alot of the groundwork laid. Elk are not like deer either in how they are dispersed. Deer are sort of all over--you really can't go anywhere here and not see them. Elk are in groups, and you are either in elk or you are not. It is really easy to not be in elk. Be prepared to find elk where you least want them to be, and to go there with little time to waste, b/c the extraction will usually take time too. That being said, you have alot better chance of getting trigger time with a deer tag.

You could also be out here in some of the low open valleys in weather like we have right now with alot of other road hunters and take elk the easy way, in the flats. I wouldn't drive to MT for that prospect alone, but it is there. Alot of tags get punched that way. Personally, I usually get my elk when the weather is still pretty good.