Originally Posted by CBB
I started this thread to help me get info on what is to be my first trip outwest. Sure the price increase will mean a little more saving but $200 can be easily done..My wife and I have 2 kids and earn about 45000 a year so I sure as hell wont be paying 10,000 to hunt a ranch..
I apprciate your opinion DINK, but with the amount you guys are already spending....what the hell is 200 more???
Hell if you aint gonna miss the 200..Send it to me to help with my first western adventure!

So thanks for all the info thus far...What other tips do you guys have for a "greenhorn" who wants to go to Montana to hunt elk/deer????
I really want to put in for the combo tag, but wonder if I should just keep it simple and apply for one species for my first trip..

Well, I supplied useless drivel in a silly debate, I might as well try to contribute something useful.

The out of state guys I know often have deer tags. However, elk hunting is very consuming. Trying to fill the elk tag dominates the trip, and the deer tag ends up being a distant afterthough. They often shoot anything legal to fill the tag, usually a dinky muley. Moderately irritating to someone who laments the lack of mature muleys out west, but I'm not going to accuse anyone of stealing. I will say that where elk are, it is rare to find great mule deer except special draw areas that I don't think are part of this discussion. And by the time you actually locate and take an elk AND get it to the truck, you won't be that keen on a really hard hunt for deer. Now that I've offered this advice, you will probably come out with your elk tag and have a huge deer stand in front of you... Now obviously if the money doesn't bother you, as it does seem to bother some bothersomes, then carry a deer tag with you on your visit.

I think your chance of being drawn will be very good for next year, for reasons mentioned. MT essentially increased supply and cost for the same number of elk tags, so demand should ease in response. I would guess that past draw results for NR will be worthless.

As for tips, I think you will need to ask more specific questions. Probably best to start a new thread, since this one has been highjacked so badly (I accept responsibility in part for this, sorry).