Toolelk,
This year was my 18th year of hunting in Montana. 12 of those for elk. That just so we know I know a little bit about the way the system works for NR's. Never with an outfitter.
You are correct you can return your license for a partical refund. I have never done it but I think at best its 80% so 20% of $640 still is in the hundreds level. And it gets worst the longer you wait.

I also think you are correct that the twisting being very little. The landowners are tired of everyone forgetting that they own the land to run a business in most cases. I don't think the passage of I-161 will do anything to change the situation.

A word of advice to those NR hunter who get to hunt on private land...don't forget about the rancher and they like to be treated nice. Our group has always taken the ranchers out for dinner at least one night. Some of the parties we hosted at the Hell Creek Bar in Jordan are legendary. And then most important, be prepared to have to drive a few of them home. smile They do know how to have a good time and drink their fill. A most wonderful bunch of folks who live a hard life making a living.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!