C
67 Chevy 2 Nova 327

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Lot's of cool rides shown and mentioned here.

I had the good fortune to have a Dad that owned and operated an engine rebuilding shop back in Erie, Pa, W.E. Smith & Sons on w. 12th St. My Grandfather started the business much earlier in his garage and later had the very large building built on W. 12th ST. Gramps designed and built machinery among which were a very large crankshaft grinder and boring bar for really big marine and industrial engines. Most of the "small" engine (upto about 5" bore) tooling was Kwik Way, Sioux and Lempco.

I started working there when I was 11, not 'cuz I had to but because it was interesting and I also got paid a good bit for a kid as it freed my Dad up to concentrate the machining and reassembly. We worked on ANY internal combustion engine but specialized in the older cars. We only worked on engines and didn't do any R&Ring of engines from the cars with the exception of our own vehicles and our racing dirtbikes (but that is a whole 'nother story). I suffered from "PD" (permanantly dirty) fingers and hands. Go Joe was helpful but carving out the grease and sludge out from under my fingernails was a losing battle.

Many, many hundreds if not a thousand model A's, T's, flathead V & Straight 8's and sixes of all sorts. From Ford to Franklin, Dodge to Delahaye, Chevrolet to Cord, on and on. We did Chevy small block heads by the ton and model A Ford engines by the literal semi truck load (a group deal with a Model A club somewhere that escapes me now)... We had a massive stock of pistons, valves, timing gears, gasket sets, clutch & pressure plate assy's and much more for a lot of really obscure marques.

Started as a engine dismantler grunt playing in the grease tray getting the engines and components ready for the hot tank. As time went on I was taught how to grind valves & tappets, cylinder boring, pouring babbit mains and rods and align boring, crankshaft grinding along with final fitting and reassembly.... At the time we one of not too many places that cast babbit bearings. It was amazing to recall literally sledge hammering the pistons and rods out of a engine that had sat for years with the cylinder head off and 3 days later it was ready to install and run again. No replacement pistons or valves to be found? No problem, Jahn's would scratch make you a set of slugs, Perfect Circle would supply a set of rings and another company that escapes me would whip up the valves to spec. Cracked cylinder wall? We can prolly sleeve it. Knackered valve guides? A cinch to either slide or hog old ones out and stuff new ones and ream them.

Dad passed on in 1975, and the shop eventually closed as I didn't have the total skill set and business acumen to operate the shop and both of my older brothers worked in other fields of endeavor. I sure miss those days and dear old Dad. I was very luck indeed but miss those days with very real pain. I have recently toyed with the idea of re-acquiring some machinery to do engines again. 'Prolly a genetic predisposition towards working on all things mechanical.

After the shop was closed we were trying to sell my grand fathers special order 1953 Buick Roadmaster (Have to see if I can scan a pix of that and post it). In 1976 it had 12,000 original miles. I had a chance to keep it but had no place to keep it so eventually it was sold. I still regularly scour through Hemmings and other car ad's hoping to find it. I would love to find that car and buy it if possible. Ideas on finding it are welcome and appreciated by the way...

Keep the cars coming, it brings back great memories or many I had forgotten about.

Be safe
Patty

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cobra, bad to the bone:

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not mine but it looks like the one I owned.
[Linked Image]
Shot at 2008-12-23

Last edited by joecool544; 01/18/11.
S
S
1974 Roadrunner

My Dad had one.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a highly modified 1970 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland in it, followed by a 1976 Trans Am with the 455 in it. I raced them in slalom races and at some tracks. In the day, I thought they were mighty fast.

Funny though - some four bangers now have faster 0-60 times, faster 1/4 mile times, and corner and stop much quicker.

A lot of cars today, can stomp on the best of the old muscle cars, by virtually any measure you want to compare - and get twice the gas-mileage doing it.

Cars have come a long way.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
427 camero ss

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Funny though - some four bangers now have faster 0-60 times, faster 1/4 mile times, and corner and stop much quicker.

A lot of cars today, can stomp on the best of the old muscle cars, by virtually any measure you want to compare - and get twice the gas-mileage doing it.

Now why would you have to go pollutin' such a nice nostalgia thread with such cold reality! wink

Seriously, at some level we all know what you say, but there is still something special about cars that got their horsepower with big thumping pistons, not computers and other high tech stuff.

John

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BCBrian

Yes and they are far more efficient when it comes to cleaning up after an accident as well. Shoebox will suffice...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And all that supertuner chipped up front wheel drive TRASH will never garner the respect of 40+ year old Detroit sheet metal.
I thought we were discussing REAL cars here.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's not so much the horsepower of the old powerplants....rather the sound of that big V8 engine. Even the old flathead Fords had better sound than the mosquito buzzing 4-bangers.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about 556 hp Cadillac CTS-V's that not only go fast in a straight line but also can lap the 13 mile Nurburgring in under 8 minutes?

That sure gets my respect!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Is that a reproduction? I didn't think the Thunderbolts were street legal. Either way, that is one of my favorite cars on the planet! A good friend of mine, John Calvert, races a clone Thunderbolt in Stock Eliminator. It is a great car!

Edit to add they were street legal and a bear! lol!!!

Wes has been messing with that dang thing for probably 10 years now. He started with a tri power 390, and finally found the 427 side oiler he wanted.
I believe he says it is putting out about 600 HP, running the same tri power set up.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by tzone
67 Ford Fairlane.

That a Ford! he said muscle car!! grin

This one appears pretty muscular...

[Linked Image]

427 cubes of bad ass-ness. Same motor as the one Sam posted above but with dual quad set up. She'll eat Dodges and chit Chevy's. grin

Last edited by tzone; 01/18/11.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You know it Tom, give me a 66 0r 67 Fairlane GTA with a 427/4 speed.

An obtainable dream.

now the same car with a SOHC/4 speed....

droool...

fairly unobtainable though, for a po-boy like me.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and the SOUND!!!!!

turn up the speakers, and watch this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzkEviShBUw

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one that sits in my garage and I have owned since I was 17, still all original, no rust, only been in snow twice in all it's life, never a daily driver. 1970 Chevelle SS 396 complete with cowl induction. 54,000 original miles.

NRA Patron Member.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
How about 556 hp Cadillac CTS-V's that not only go fast in a straight line but also can lap the 13 mile Nurburgring in under 8 minutes?

That sure gets my respect!

I love that car!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cadillac's were designed to haul mamaw and papaw to the dang grocery store, not a true muscle car.
My wife has a 600 HP Dodge Viper, waaay to much of a good thing. But its not a muscle car either IMO, just another modern day blvd. brawler and curve straitner if thats what You wanna use it for.
Try as they may, any newly manufactured engine will never come remotly close to soundin like a 426 hemi or most any big block from the sixties to early seventies.

Gunner

Trump Won!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
boogity-boogity.

Something clever here.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (achadwick, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 13 invisible), 978 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,921
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.