-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That seems to be a common complaint. I've used them problem free for years in some freezing wet weather, but we don't get temps much below the mid 20's here either and I've always been able to clean it at night.

I put a dab of gun grease in mine and I'm pretty anal about taking stuff apart and cleaning it if it gets soaked.

JM

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Took about three months for mine to go completely south. Trigger pull seemed to be going up, but I figured I would take care of things at the end of the Pa. Deer season.

Came home from hunting the first week and was wiping it off. All of sudden the pin would fall when you let the safety off or it wouldn't hold when you worked the bolt.

Learned a lesson.

Last edited by battue; 01/29/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Raj
Mr Ingwe,you had mentioned that your customer feedback on the new 70's has been good.Also that you have now purchased one for yourself.
Is the wood on the new supergrade worth the extra over the regular sporter models?.
Are the action and barrels made in the SC plant?.
Do the African safari rifles also come with the MOA trigger.
Do all their models come with a plastic follower or do some come with a steel follower.
What are things on this rifle that make you chose this over a pre-64 model.Thank you.

Raj- sorry it took so long for reply...I'll try to andwer your questions in order...
1. The wood on the new Supergrade is not, IMO worth the extra, plus...the metal is a high gloss...not my cup-o-tea..
2.Actions and barrels are made in SC by FN
3.African Model does comes with MOA trigger as far as I know...and the jury is still out on that trigger...
4.My .22-250 Fwt. has a metal follower
5.Things that made me choose it over pre-64...I too think a little waxing nostalgic goes on with a pre-64...they are excellent rifles, don't get me wrong, but I don't think they have a leg up on a few others. Customer feedback was my big decision, it has been universally excellent, even, or I should say especially, amongst those who own both the SC rifles, and pre-64s...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JMHO,and like belly buttons, everybody will have one based on instinct,appearance, individual experiences,etc..... grin

I like the new SC rifles real well.They shoot super IME.....just like a pre 64..... whistle

When push comes to shove,I want the pre 64...too many sub MOA groups and too many dead animals.....

I want the trigger.I will restock them if necessary.I don't care....

It was the original...everything flowed from them,an attempt to recreate them.....there is a reason for that, no matter how vague and obscure they may be......I will pick up one of the old rifles and trust my life or the most important hunt to them.

They are "money" rifles....JMHO and YMMV grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How long have they been making them in SC?

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've considered picking up a M70 off Gunbroker or whatever, but how can I know if the rifle was build in SC?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by prm
I've considered picking up a M70 off Gunbroker or whatever, but how can I know if the rifle was build in SC?

Ask.......

But if its more than 3 years old...it wasnt made in SC..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=ingweBut if its more than 3 years old...it wasnt made in SC.. [/quote]

Knew that, just didn't know if there were any visual cues or Item Number differences that would be a give away.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by prm

Visually from the GB pic, the difference is the NH versions have a blued extractor and the SC versions have a polished extractor. Also, most of the NH versions have a red recoil pad and the NC versions have a black 1 inch pad. If you can get a close up of the action, The NH versions have a seial number beginning with "G" and 6 or 7 numbers and NV version have a long number that goes on forever.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
[quote=ingweBut if its more than 3 years old...it wasnt made in SC..

Knew that, just didn't know if there were any visual cues or Item Number differences that would be a give away. [/quote]

Look at the sticker on the barrel.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You cannot always rely on those pics. I purchased two late model NH M70s NIB; both have black pads, and both have 416 stainless extractors.

I'd say if you aren't sure, just ask the seller. smile

- I think the main difference is that the SC M70 is machined differently to fit the Browning box trigger. I can understand the business logic of fitting their Browning trigger into the rifle, but I much prefer the older open Winchester trigger.

- Winchester no longer makes the wood stocks and they are currently jobbed out to one of the Italian gun makers. I'm sure they have some nice ones, but not sure if they are as nicely figured as the older stocks.

- SC Winchesters have newer machinery, so they should have closer tolerances than the later NH.

- Williams made the one piece bottom metal for the NH M70s along with the 416 stainless extractors. SC M70s use PTG for the bottom metal, unsure who makes the extractors.

Most everything else is about the same. If you like a Browning box trigger, you'll probably not care that the Winchester trigger was dumped. If you like the robust Mauser style Winchester trigger, you'll probably be unhappy that it is now gone. I think the older Winchester trigger was one of the finest takes on a Mauser hunting trigger offered on a production rifle. But it is now gone and there's nothing we can do about it as the two do not interchange in the new SC rifle.

Later smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/30/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
How long have they been making them in SC?

Since 2008.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've handled all the hunting models (Featherweight, Extreme Weather, Super Grade and Sporter) and must say they are impressive in build quality.

I like the trigger...very crisp with minimal creep. I'm not one to tinker with triggers, though, so I can't say it's better than the old style trigger. All I know is the old style trigger needed some work to get where these are from the factory.

IMHO, the Super Grade wood was better on older models. The bluing is really nice on the new ones, though.

I like the looks of the older red recoil pads better, but the function of the new black Decelerators is clearly better than the old hard rubber.

The stocks on the new Featherweight seem a bit plain-Jane to me. I've seen nicer wood on older models.

One thing about the new rifles that is unmistakable for their heritage is the slickness of the action. The bolt slides like a hot knife through butter and feels very nice.

One thing I've noticed on all the new models I've handled is the three-position safety is a bit sticky. Perhaps it will smooth out with use but there is definitely some grittiness when you move it back and forth.

All that said, I love them and will be getting one soon. Probably a sporter in .270 Win or a FWT in .308 Win.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Raj
Mr Ingwe,you had mentioned that your customer feedback on the new 70's has been good.Also that you have now purchased one for yourself.
Is the wood on the new supergrade worth the extra over the regular sporter models?.
Are the action and barrels made in the SC plant?.
Do the African safari rifles also come with the MOA trigger.
Do all their models come with a plastic follower or do some come with a steel follower.
What are things on this rifle that make you chose this over a pre-64 model.Thank you.

Raj- sorry it took so long for reply...I'll try to andwer your questions in order...
1. The wood on the new Supergrade is not, IMO worth the extra, plus...the metal is a high gloss...not my cup-o-tea..
2.Actions and barrels are made in SC by FN
3.African Model does comes with MOA trigger as far as I know...and the jury is still out on that trigger...
4.My .22-250 Fwt. has a metal follower
5.Things that made me choose it over pre-64...I too think a little waxing nostalgic goes on with a pre-64...they are excellent rifles, don't get me wrong, but I don't think they have a leg up on a few others. Customer feedback was my big decision, it has been universally excellent, even, or I should say especially, amongst those who own both the SC rifles, and pre-64s...

Mr Ingwe,thank you very much for answering my question.Appreciate all the valuable info.
Thanks to all you gentleman who have come forward with all the info.
Is it possible to switch this trigger to a Timney/Jewell if needs be.Or is it still new and these companies have not come out with an aftermarket trigger?.
Have others had the problem that Battue has had with the trigger.

R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Redneck
If you do a quick search, you'll bring up about a thousand threads re: pros/cons of the SC models..

Mostly positive. Except Redneck don't like the new trigger design. smile

Redneck isn't the only one that doesn't like the new moa trigger. I was just shooting a fwt that I recently bought here and my ruger m77 hawkeye for a comparison and also a FN PBR XP for a further comparison (since the new winchesters are made by fn now). Where do I begin????

1. "moa" trigger, adjusted down to a lighter pull compared to my hawkeye that I've honed and polished and installed a lighter spring on. Which is better:
Ruger Hawkeye.
WHY?: The new trigger just isn't as smooth, slight creep, pull weight has a very minimal adjustment at that, don't like the enclosed design because of grit and grime + freezing temps and moisture could render it inoperable.

The fn pbr xp trigger is a dream!!!!!!! I haven't touched it and it is smooth and crisp, and has no creep whatsoever. It is better than any winchester trigger I've used, but is based off the old design.

Besides the trigger, the new SC (fn made) Winchesters are very nice. Fit and finish are exceptional, bedding is great, and the action is smooth and reminiscent of the pre 64 more so than the older classics (New Haven made). You'll no doubt be happy with one if you do decide to buy, hope this helps.

BSA 1917 hunter,thank you very much for this info on the triggers(and on the rifles).
Is it possible to change this trigger to the FN PBR XP trigger.I am not familiar with that rifle and also am not a gunsmith.Just curious and also want to see what options one has, to avoid problems with the trigger like Mr Battue had.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Raj

The trigger problem I had was essentially my fault. If I would have properly taken care of it, in a reasonable amount of time, after it became dunked in a stream there would not have been a problem.

It was not on a SC Model 70, but another rifle that had an enclosed trigger. Pretty much same/same.

However, I do feel the old style Model 70 would have remained functional and safe from past experience over the years.

R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hello Mr Battue,
thank you very much for the above.
All in all seems that the new model is a decent successor to the old pre-64 model.Except for the trigger being the only major questionable item,so far.
Guess people don't listen to the old saying,"don't fix it if it is'nt broken".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Complication of the tried, true and known breeds it own problems.

In my case I treated something new-at least to me-in the same way I treated something known and it didn't work.

Addition: I'm in Bob's camp on this one. While it is a modern duplication of the original, given a choice I would take the original. There is an essential intrinsic quality that so far they have failed to reproduce.

Last edited by battue; 01/31/11.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by battue
..There is an essential intrinsic quality that so far they have failed to reproduce.

Mystique. It can only be reproduced over time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you get a SC M70, I'd follow their recommended maintenance, keep a weathered eye on it, and just live with having the Browning box trigger. If I had my drothers, I'd much prefer the open and simpler NH M70 trigger, which is basically a refined robust Mauser design. It gives you everything needed to make a perfect hunting trigger while maintaining trench warfare durability. The Browning trigger is Rube Goldberg.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,686
Posts18,475,107
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.