-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a couple of guest hunters over the years that shot Blazers. Both guys were in the investment business in New York City, and they flew out to Douglas, AZ, in a private jet. They may not have had more money than sense, but they obviously had a lot of money.

That said, I got to try both of them and found them to be well-made, well-finished rifles that were pleasant to shoot--accurate, too. One was chambered in 6.5x55 and the other was a .270. I believe the owner of the latter rifle said that he had a 9.3x62 barrel for his, as well. I cruised the internet sites for a year or so afterward, looking for a bargain, but never found one at a price that made me want to pull the trigger, so to speak.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Also I don't even know what a "Rhino" revolver is without looking it up

It is an Italian made revolver, with the barrel on the bottom chamber. The cylinder is a flat sided hexagon. The "hammer" is just an exsposed cocking lever that also has the rear sight cut into it.
They have a ventilated rib to raise the front sight up.

I rented one out of curiosity. .357 mag has little re-coil because the barrel is so low.
The one I shot was only a 2" snub.
If they come out in 5 or 6 " soon, I may look again.
I do like the odd character in hand.
And would enjoy a Blazer for the difference only.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just saw a Blaser stock on gunbroker for $1500. Just the stock!!!!
No thanks.

I'd like to shoot one some time but I won't be spending that much money on one.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Did Blaser fix the "kaboom problems" they were having?

I have examined several and they are a finely engineered answer to an unasked question...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I wouldn't buy one because they don't make a lever action. grin

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HunterJim
Did Blaser fix the "kaboom problems" they were having?

I have examined several and they are a finely engineered answer to an unasked question...jim
Yep. Ashamed to admit I bought one in the 1990s. Sold it about five years ago. Never could get used to the straight pull action, and always felt a bit leery about the safety of the lock up.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
OrangeOkie: I don't know who buys the Blaser Rifles.
I have been Big Game and varmint Hunting for more than 50 years now and I have NEVER seen a Blaser Rifle in the field!
And I have Hunted from Alaska to Texas and from Utah to the Dakotas and intwo provinces of Canada - I have as yet to see a Blaser in the field!
In fact I have only seen ONE person use a Blaser Rifle on TV!
They may be perfectly wonderful Rifles but I would not know.
I have also noticed the "zero bids" on Blaser Rifles on Gunbroker.com!
Again they may be great guns but there appears to be a VERY narrow market for arms of their type and price.
Best of luck to the Blaser folks - competition and variety are good things.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I owned an R93 with three barrels two of which were more accurate than other rifle I've owned and one of those was a .375 H&H (<.40" at 100 yds) Much of what I hear is offered by folks who've never had one, used one, or perhaps even handled one in the flesh. Overengineered? Take one down in two minutes, swap out a bolt head and barrel and you go from antelope to brown bear. Is the straight pull fast--faster, much faster than any 60-90 degree bolt throw with backward and forward actions thrown in.

The Kaboom question? I pestered Blaser long and hard until they sent me a personal letter concerning their findings; rather that of an independent agency that found hand loads that exceeded 120k psi (by metallurgical tests) to be the cause. Stick that one in your m70, 700, Mauser and you have the same pipe bomb that a Blaser makes. By the way, anyone know how many "traditional bolt guns" are turned into shrapnel each year?

Expensive? Yea, but gee, I think a few bucks are spent here on aftemarket loonyism and that more than a few have superseded the cost of a R93 or R8 with several barrels and mounts. If not you style, fine, but don't just repeat the 'net blather that's been around ten years now. This is to know one specifically, just a general comment.

My R93 stuff has all been traded in for....one K95. And, yes, I chose it over a Dakota m10 for several reasons,...good ones.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Blaser R93's I've shot have always been very accurate, as in just about as accurate many of the custom rifles Americans brag up on the Internet. They also have excellent triggers and fine balance.

I've also shot quite a few other modern German rifles, and they've also been extremely accurate, with fine triggers, plus excellent fit and finish. On one occasion I culled fallow deer on an estate in Ireland with a straight-pull Heym that had a 3-12 Schmidt & Bender scope with a very useful ballistic reticle. I only shot deer with it out to 400 yards, where it did fine, but the owner (an Irish plumber) has used it to 600. It didn't take long to get used to the straight pull, which came in very handy when we got into a bunch of deer one day. (You can even see a photo of me shooting it at a deer, with my friend Liam Kenehan with his fingers in his ears, by logging onto www.heymrifles.com and clicking on "Rifles".)

My own .300 Winchester Magnum is a turn-bolt Heym SR-21, also extremely accurate with a fine trigger, and with an American-style stock of fancy-grain walnut. It will shoot as well as the remodeled, synthetic-stocked "custom" Remington 700's that many American rifle loonies will pay several thousand dollars for, but at the time I bought it, less than 3 years ago, it retailed for around $2000.

German rifles are super-accurate, with great tiggers, and finely made. But Americans would rather spend more money on a rebuilt 700 because...well, because neither they nor their buddies know anything about them. Even so, they will bad-mouth them, especially on the Internet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a good deal on a used one back when a dollar was worth a good solid $.50. It came with a 300 win barrel and I have since added a 264 barrel, both of which will shoot five shots under one inch on a very regular basis with factory ammunition.

I basically have two problems with my 93. The first one is the amount of things that you don't get to do to it to make it shoot like it does. I love piddling with my guns and there is nothing to do to it. The second one is I have not realized any increase in the speed of the bolt manipulation due to the fact that I always try to lift it first and then pull it back. After the first shot I usually have plenty of time anyway.

Start with a good Remchester action and convert it to a takedown with good mounts, barrel, wood, square and true the action and you are not that far from what one of these will cost but your gun will be longer.

As for having more money than sense, that is a relative comment. For some of us it may not take much money.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I guess I couldn't get one cause I would always be calling it a "Blazer" and folks would laugh.........

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've watched a couple of these Blaser-related threads and have stayed out of the fray. However, I'm going to tell my "Blaser" story.

I'm relatively new to Blasers. Mine's an older, synthetic stock R93 called the Offroad in .270 Winchester. This version has since been replaced with the Professional. This rifle sat on the shelf of a local dealer for several years.

I work in the agribusiness industry and travel extensively. One of the good things about my career is the opportunity to combine work and play. From time-to-time, I get the chance to squeeze a hunt into a work-related trip.

So, what's the downside? Most of my trips involve airplanes and rental cars. It's really cumbersome to deal with a long gun case in an airport even when hunting is the only thing on the travel agenda. It's a much bigger pain when the trip is dual purpose.

Last spring, I was telling my tale of travel woe to my local gun dealer. He cut me short and went back into his storeroom. A few minutes later he emerged with the aforementioned R93. He indicated this was the last of three he'd brought to the store seven years ago. Obviously, they hadn't sold well for him and he acknowledged he'd retired this one to the safe in the back. I smoked it over for awhile and then we cut a deal for it and a mount for $1400, which I later learned was steal for a new R93.

I noted the fit and finish of the rifle were exceptional albeit the design is non-traditional by American standards. The straight pull action is slick and very fast -- every bit as fast as a pump. The trigger on mine breaks at 1.5lbs with no creep, but the design allows some overtravel. Still, it's the best factory trigger I've ever pulled. I agree with JB in that it balances superbly. The synthetic stock is a dual layer injection-molded design. I would've expected a better quality stock for a rifle in this price range. Even so, it's the best I've seen of its type. Evidently, Germans are lanky and long-armed as the LOP was well over 14". I shortened the stock to fit and installed an aftermarket pad. I like the fact that the "safety" is actually the cocking mechanism, but it's stiff and takes some effort.

It was mid-summer before I made time to mount a scope -- a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10X 40mm CDS. A few days after that, I went out back to my shooting range with a box of Hornady factory ammo and the rifle in hand. The first three shots grouped 5/8" with center being 1" inch high and .5" right. I adjusted the scope two clicks up and two clicks left. As anticipated, the next three shots were 1.5" high and horizontally centered. The group was a cloverleaf measuring less than .5". I've never had a rifle that close to "on" after scoping it up.

I then decided to test the "system". I unscrewed the scope mount from the barrel as well as the barrel from the stock and then reassembled. After that, I ran three more shots downrange. The six-shot group measured .75". I let the barrel cool for a bit and repeated the process once again. The group now had a sample of nine and all fit into .75". How many rifles can you pull apart that way and put back together again and still drive nine shots into well under an inch?

Who buys a Blaser? That'd be me. I can disassemble the rifle and place it into a breakdown case for travel. When it's reassembled, POI hasn't changed. Mine's stunningly accurate. It's much faster than traditional bolt rifles and has a fantastic trigger. (I really appreciated the speed on a recent feral hog hunt in west Texas. It was easy to get three to four well-aimed shots before the herds could escape.) Barrels can be swapped to accommodate virtually any hunting need. As such, it's a perfect choice for a multi-species hunt. The action can be changed to go from right- to left-handed. That's not a big deal to most. However, I'm right-handed and my son is left-handed so it's a big plus for us.

This fall it became my #1 rifle and I've several nice rifles. While it's fairly expensive, the synthetic models are no more so than most entry-level, semi-custom bolt rifles. You may get a little more customization with those, but less flexibility than is afforded by Blaser's modularity. Sure, one can spend a fortune on one of the "eye candy" models, but that's true for many other rifles too.

Since I purchased my Blaser and became a fan, I've been amazed to see the amount of negative banter about them and those who have one. As for their safety, I've never seen a report attributing a failure to anything other than load dramatically exceeding pressure standards and there're only a handful of those. I've never seen a picture of a "blown-up" Blaser floating around on the Internet, but have seen a bunch of other rifles like T/C Encores. While opinions of Encores as a platform vary widely, I've never read much about them being unsafe. In each case, the problem noted was a hot load and/or a third-party chamber cut for something unsuitable for the Encore's limits, but nary a word about the Encore being a dangerous design.

Several years ago, there was a noted issue where a parts supplier delivered non-stainless springs for the trigger mechanism rather than the specified stainless springs. After Blaser discovered the issue, it recalled all potentially affected rifles and replaced the springs, although I don't think there was ever an issue in the field. Much has been made of this situation, but that type of deal is fairly common in the industry.

It seems to me there's a double standard about Blasers, but maybe it's just me as I've drank the Kool-Aid. As for those who own them, I'll leave it someone else to determine whether I have more money than sense. I consider myself a everyday hardworking professional and garden variety rifle looney. I don't think the Blaser is for everyone, but it does fit a need for many. Last year, I found that one earned a prime spot in my safe near the front.

Last edited by BlueK9; 03/09/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well said BlueK9; many of my experiences match yours. Plus as you mention, they are a joy to travel with. My 375 would put 270-gr TSXs in less than a .50" inches for three shots at 100 yds as long as I could point it straight.

I am very much looking forward to the K95 for many of the same reasons minus the fast repeating ability.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
goodnews,

It's the double standard thing that leaves me so perplexed at times. There was a recent thread on the Fire titled, "Why do so many think that Tikkas suck?" The OP in this thread, OrangeOkie, contributed to it and made the following observation:

"I believe in the market to sort out what is good and what is bad. Price point is just as valid a reason to buy a particular item as is perceived or acutual qulity/performance. To each his own. I'm just glad that so many people are still interested in and buying rifles."

Unless, it's a Blaser rifle. Then, as OrangeOkie implies you're an idiot who has "more money than sense." And, he sarcastically ponders the unflattering adjectives that describe you as Blaser owner.

Go figure.

Best,
BlueK9

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They didn't do much for me.

Then I tested a couple at SHOT. I found lots to like while in the drivers seat. They felt good ... better than I expected.

Would I buy one? I dunno. I'm pretty rifled up. But I wouldn't rule it out.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BlueK9
goodnews,

It's the double standard thing that leaves me so perplexed at times. There was a recent thread on the Fire titled, "Why do so many think that Tikkas suck?" The OP in this thread, OrangeOkie, contributed to it and made the following observation:

"I believe in the market to sort out what is good and what is bad. Price point is just as valid a reason to buy a particular item as is perceived or acutual qulity/performance. To each his own. I'm just glad that so many people are still interested in and buying rifles."

Unless, it's a Blaser rifle. Then, as OrangeOkie implies you're an idiot who has "more money than sense." And, he sarcastically ponders the unflattering adjectives that describe you as Blaser owner.

Go figure.

Best,
BlueK9

Blue, just for the record, I wa not, in fact, the "OP" on the Tikka thread. However, I agree my comments on this Blaser thread have obviously offended a couple of posters in a way I did not intend. My comments about "more money than sense" was out of line, and I wish I had not penned those words. I am still perplexed at the number of dealers on GB who advertise their Blasers with nary a bid. It simply seems like a lot of expensive inventory with "zero" visible buyers.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Orange-

I took no offense really but it's big of you to realize you might have and say it. What really bugs me is it's kind of fashionable to denigrate these rifles in ignorance and miss out on what a really, fine, well thought out rifle they are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Blaser baseball hat. That's all i could afford....

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
OrangeOkie,

I had intended to identify you as the OP on this Blaser thread and as simply a contributor on the Tikka thread, but I wasn't precise.

Many thanks for clarifying your perspective. As for Blasers advertised on GB, I think you'll find most of those are listed by Mad Dog Guns out of Arizona, especially the eye candy models. I've noticed Alex Roy of Europtic lists Blasers as well, but most of those are the models for the everyday hunter.

From what I understand, Blaser dealers must adhere to a MAP policy much like those who sell Swarovski and S&B glass. I think Leupold went down this path a few years ago as well. This results in GB "auctions" simply being advertisements at MSRP for those items. Prospective buyers must call the dealer to get the street price.

These MAP policies tend to clutter GB on affected products. It doesn't look like Swarovski ever sells a scope if GB is the yardstick. All this said, I can't imagine the market for the highly adorned Blasers is very large. I also can't fathom how listing all those fancy models on GB is worth the effort, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess Mad Dog Guns knows better.

I will acknowledge Blasers are a niche rifles, especially in the US. As I noted, the utilitarian model solves a problem for me, but wouldn't for others. And, the pretty ones are of no interest to me.

Additionally, Blasers have more than doubled in price the last 10 years and that has dramatically altered the value comparison. This is true for most European goods. I've noted JB on several occasions expressing pleasure in having purchased his Leica Duovids a few years ago when they were half as much.

On that point, I took a fancy to the Kimber Montana when they were first marketed. When I first handled one, the young clerk behind the counter said, "If you're interested in a tough synthetic gun, take a look at this R93." I handed him the Montana and he handed me a R93 Offroad in .308 Winchester.

I looked at it a good bit and decided it was a gimmick gun. I handed it back to him and a deal was cut on the Montana for $1000. Before we did the paperwork, he once again offered the Blaser, "You know, this Blaser is a really nice rifle and it's only $900."

I couldn't get the Montana to shoot inside of 2" no matter what I tried. I've two backside observations on that transaction. First, Blasers are much more expensive today compared to most other rifles. Second, we all have more money than sense now and again.

Good shooting,
BlueK9

Last edited by BlueK9; 03/10/11.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RickBin
They didn't do much for me.

Then I tested a couple at SHOT. I found lots to like while in the drivers seat. They felt good ... better than I expected.

Would I buy one? I dunno. I'm pretty rifled up. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Unless it was your only rifle, you'd never really get used to the straight pull action. Also, traditional bolt action rifles have heavy duty locking lugs to keep the bolt in place. This is a great comfort to me considering the position of my face in relation to it. The Blaser doesn't have anything quite as comforting keeping the bolt in place when you detonate that explosion in the chamber/barrel.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,376
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.