-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A PH freind of mine in Africa used a Blaser in .375 quite a bit- he traded the Blaser Rep. a little hunting for it...It never gave him grief( that I know of..) and he liked it. I could never personally warm up to it...but hey, folks have differing tastes....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a bit funny, but I have a Benoit family hunting video, titled "Hunt Smarter, not Harder". For those not familiar with the Benoits, they are a family in Vt who are legendary deer trackers. Real died in wool Vt hunters who use Rem 760 pumps, previously with open sights, now as they are all older, are scoped. These guys are the real deal as far as hunting and woods skills. They hunt big bodied deer, mature bucks, mano-o-mano. Lanny, one of the brothers, has something like a 235lb average over his hunting career. Think about that, what it takes to kill a mature buck, one on one, fair chase, big woods no less, averaging that size for a career...

Anyway, their cameraman/producer is also a died in wool Vt. hunter. There is a segment following him around tracking a big buck.

It surprised the heck out of me, but he was using a Blaser, what appeard to be the "professional" or "hunter" with the synthetic stock. He pulled up and whacked one heck of a big old mountain buck that he had tracked for miles.

When he shot the buck, he worked that action so fast, you would have thought it was a pump or damn near auto-ish speed.

BTW, these are great videos for those who enjoy big woods, big mature buck hunting the hard way. They also share their secrets for reading buck tracks.

It is amazing how they read into what they are seeing...

Tony

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RickBin
They didn't do much for me.

Then I tested a couple at SHOT. I found lots to like while in the drivers seat. They felt good ... better than I expected.

Would I buy one? I dunno. I'm pretty rifled up. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Unless it was your only rifle, you'd never really get used to the straight pull action. Also, traditional bolt action rifles have heavy duty locking lugs to keep the bolt in place. This is a great comfort to me considering the position of my face in relation to it. The Blaser doesn't have anything quite as comforting keeping the bolt in place when you detonate that explosion in the chamber/barrel.

Not accurate-I have traditional bolts and had a R93; it was no problem transitioning one to the other; I never forgot which I had in my hand or how to operate it. The R93 has lugs-ok, mini lugs--but through all 360 degrees-like petals on a flower that open up in an indent with probably more bearing surface than many two lug actions that aren't blue printed-the majority of them; I have made it a habit to inspect the lugs of rifles and many have one shiny one and another that has much less contact with the recess. This R93 system was even beefed up in the R8.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, let's just say SOME people will never get used to a straight-pull bolt. I had no trouble with the one on the Heym SR30 I used in Ireland for three days, in fact got very fast with it very quickly.

Partly this is because I run a regular bolt action by palming the bolt handle, both forward and back. This is among the fastest ways to run even a standard bolt, because it involved a simple back-and-forth action instead of what most people do, which is grip, lift, pull-back, push forward, turn down. And it worked even quicker with a straight-pull.

There has never been any sort of blow-back incident with either straight-pull Blasers or Heyms, and if anybody examines the the mechanisms enough to see how they work, they'd understand why.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think they're ugly, so I'll leave them in the marketplace for you folks that like them. smile

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JB, agreed on both points. I don't have much issue transitioning between the Blaser straight pull and a conventional bolt. I can say that the straight pull is considerably easier to master and a whole bunch faster.

As for the safety of the design, I can't understand why so many seem to get all twisted-up over it. It doubt it's the safest action available, but it's clearly far from weakest.

I'm fairly confident I assumed a hundred fold more risk this morning when I took my Yamaha Rhino to joy ride around the farm than I'll experience in a lifetime of shooting a Blaser.

It reminds me of a friend who has big tires and a lift under his F250. He has not a care in the world bouncing down the interstate in it at warp speed. I'm leery of riding with him. However, he turns to 200lbs of quivering jello when he boards a plane. We all have our fears I guess...some comparatively rational and others not so much, but all real in our own eyes.

Last edited by BlueK9; 03/10/11.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cheesy, yes, the are fugly. :-) Pretty is as pretty does though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think they are ugly...just like Savage rifles...YMMV.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Okay, now you're getting personal. What's next? Are you gonna tell me the .270 sux?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I didnt read all the comments, but I only know one guy that uses Blaser rifles. He definatly has way more money than sense. He also uses Kreighoff and Benelli stuff. The sales guys love him. But whatever floats your boat I guess. And to top it off, it doesn't sound like the guns are even as accurate a standard Rembrownchester or the like.

Salmonhead
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went and checked them out on gunbroker last night. On the good side they have left handed rifles in darn near every caliber you could want, and in more than one model. That interchangeable barrel thing is kind of cool although I understand you have to have each barrel fitted, but that�s no different than an NER.

But whooeee, a bit over $3700 for the cheapest one! And they quickly run a lot higher than that. That makes you take a step back.

I heard of a Ford dealership that would offer a free Winchester rifle or shotgun with every purchase of a pickup. Wish the local Mercedes dealership would make that same offer with Blasers. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlueK9
Okay, now you're getting personal. What's next? Are you gonna tell me the .270 sux?

I had one once for a week...never shot it...sold it for a profit to an unsuspecting person. I still don't like Savage or Blaser..if you take exception to that oh well. That is why I said YMMV. And yes I think the 270 sux. YMMV

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I hunt with one, I am on my sixth season with it. My R-93 is one of the best rifles I ever owned, I down sized my collection some years back, and I sold a Dakota M-10 to buy it. I sighted it in once, and I been sending 150 gr 7mm Bullets out of a 7mm Remington Barrel it to game ever since. I shoot to check zero and go hunt. Best trigger I ever had the pleasure to press. One of the things I am going to do, is get a tracker barrel in 9.3 x 62 and that is going to be my lodge pole elk rifle.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Went and checked them out on gunbroker last night. On the good side they have left handed rifles in darn near every caliber you could want, and in more than one model. That interchangeable barrel thing is kind of cool although I understand you have to have each barrel fitted, but that�s no different than an NER.

wink

You have been mis-informed....any barrel on any frame, no fitting required.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by salmonhead
I didnt read all the comments, but I only know one guy that uses Blaser rifles. He definatly has way more money than sense. He also uses Kreighoff and Benelli stuff. The sales guys love him. But whatever floats your boat I guess. And to top it off, it doesn't sound like the guns are even as accurate a standard Rembrownchester or the like.

Salmonhead, you noted that you didn't read much of this thread and only know one Blaser owner. Just curious as to where you heard Blasers aren't as accurate as "a standard Rembrownchester or the like."

Don't have firsthand experience with Kreighoff. Nevertheless, color me a fool as I have both Blaser and a couple of Bennellis. There's nothing I'd rather have in a duck blind than an SBEII.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just that the owner said he got 1.5-2" groups with it, which is unacceptable for me. Could be him. Yes, very limited. I guess I was almost asking as much as stating. He pay a lot for the wood too, so his cost a LOT and if that money were mine being spent it would be a tack driver, not 1.5" groups. But I do conceed to anyone here that may have one and knows how to shoot or load.

Salmonhead
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Elkhunter76, sorry, I should've put a smiley face in there. I didn't take any measure of exception to your remark. I, too, think Blasers are ugly, but they work for me. I don't think Savages are sexy either, but I've friends who found them functional and quite accurate.

We all have wants and needs and form opinions around those...and those often differ from person-to-person. Hence, YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dinsdale
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

wink

You have been mis-informed....any barrel on any frame, no fitting required.

I stand corrected!

Heck, that decided it for me. Gonna get a .308 and a barrel for 6.5X55 and a 7X57 and maybe a 9.3X74 and a... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think you'll find what that owner reported as the exception. Mine is as accurate as any I own and is the least finicky. It's thrown anything I've fed it into less than an inch. Plus, you can remove the barrel from the stock and the scope from the barrel then reassemble and POI doesn't move...at least on mine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Over-engineered and fugly. They're German so you know they are good, but I can afford one but I wouldn't buy one on a dare. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 25aught6, 65 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,935
Posts18,518,976
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.