Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sveas were a pain to prime until I discovered lighter fluid. I just squirt it on the burner until it runs down the stem to fill the primer bowl, then throw in a match. Works great. Nice thing about them is that you can find fuel anywhere, which I can't say about the various canisters. It's not as handy, true, but you can usually find something flammable to put in the tank.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Sveas were a pain to prime until I discovered lighter fluid. I just squirt it on the burner until it runs down the stem to fill the primer bowl, then throw in a match. Works great. Nice thing about them is that you can find fuel anywhere, which I can't say about the various canisters. It's not as handy, true, but you can usually find something flammable to put in the tank.

I carry a little plastic eyedropper. Just fill the little resevoir from the tank, let it burn and light. Below zero, you have to do it twice sometimes.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
All this talk about SVEA 123 and not a mention of a SVEA's Huckleberry, the Sigg Cookset. This was the ultimate backcountry stove/pots integrated set back in the 70's. Not too bad today if your stove is still going strong. I've got a Sigg bottle top for a Sigg/Msr fuel bottle that has a pour spout, fill up the tank and put a little in the primer cup and boiling water in 5!

JohnDog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Originally Posted by Brad
Jetboil rocks. I'd like to see the size of the new Zip Jetboil...

I could never get over the weight and bulk of the original but the Sol Ti is short (like the zip) and light. I think its suppose to be like 8.5oz.
I was talking with Taylor about these stoves before Jetboil realeased them for sale. He had a brochure with all the specifics on it and after reading and comparing weights of the PCS and Sol Ti the total weight difference was only about an ounce difference. The listed weight of the Sol Ti is 8.5 oz but that doesn't include the pot support, fuel stabilizer or the pot. The PCS all up, weighs in at 15 oz. I bet if you weighed the Sol Ti along with the rest of the kit it will be close to the PCS in actual weight. I was thinking the Sol Ti would be significantly lighter than the PCS but it wasn't and the price difference between the 2 was significant.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Okay, so what I'm gathering is that the SVEA 123 may not be the '06 of the stove world. It's more like the SMLE .303British.

I can dig that...

If anyone happens to trip over one, or has one they don't want/need, let me know.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Steelhead

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Not exactly. I can get the new ones. Just looking for an old one, if someone has one out there... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, if I see one I will let you know.

Steelhead

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Cool. Thanks.

I ain't holding my breath on one popping up, though... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a few on flea bay, but for what the prices are at, I'd likely look at a new msr.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Originally Posted by Brad
Jetboil rocks. I'd like to see the size of the new Zip Jetboil...

I could never get over the weight and bulk of the original but the Sol Ti is short (like the zip) and light. I think its suppose to be like 8.5oz.
I was talking with Taylor about these stoves before Jetboil realeased them for sale. He had a brochure with all the specifics on it and after reading and comparing weights of the PCS and Sol Ti the total weight difference was only about an ounce difference. The listed weight of the Sol Ti is 8.5 oz but that doesn't include the pot support, fuel stabilizer or the pot. The PCS all up, weighs in at 15 oz. I bet if you weighed the Sol Ti along with the rest of the kit it will be close to the PCS in actual weight. I was thinking the Sol Ti would be significantly lighter than the PCS but it wasn't and the price difference between the 2 was significant.

The 8.5oz does not include the pot support, fuel stabilizer and measuring cup. It includes the pot smile I'm not going to be using anything but the pot, stove and lid. So that should put me around 8.5oz in the pack. Maybe a little lighter after I get done with the razor blade smile The weight is great but the regulated burner is the upgrade I feel is most important to me. So all together I felt it was a very worthy upgrade.

Last edited by kenaiking; 04/12/11.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So it comes with a measuring cup and a pot? My Jetboil measuring cup is the pot.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea there is a plastic measuring cup. Why? beats the heck out of me smile

Check out this video it gives a pretty good description of it. I will post some pic's of mine when I get it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnd8hDa16cg

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can tell you the empty original jetboil up w/o cozy, lid, bottom cut is 6 oz. I cut mine down 1.75" to be just big enough to house a canister, my SOTO stove, and pot support and w/o cozy,lid, bottom cup its 4.4 oz and still easily holds 500 ML of water as I don't need the rest of the volume of the pot or the little be of weight because the SOTO stove I use is MUCH smaller and lighter.

The bottom cup is 1 oz even and the top lid is 1.3 oz.

My setup with everyone but the bottom cup (like to bring a TI mug along instead (more versatile) comes to 15.6 oz including a 7 oz fuel canister.

The standard jetboil cup with everything included and the standard jetboil stove except for the bottom cup is 20.6 oz.

Just some numbers you look over. The for me it was nice to drop 25% of the weight off my cooking setup, get faster cook times and have it take up less volume in my pack. Those shawty wink TI jetboils ought to do similar things but w/o the effort of having to cut your original down and put another bevel on it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That look real good Al. Curious how you rolled the lip?

The sol Ti with a canister should come in pretty close to that weight. That is without all the extras they include.

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure how exactly the bevel was achieved. I told the guy I work with how short to cut it and if he could put a bevel in it that would make the lid fit snug once again. Also that I wanted 3 notches in the bottom cut 120 degrees apart to fit the stove in the bottom. He went down to the machine shop after hours and put it on the lathe and came back a little be later with the finished product.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a read on the history of the Svea123. It's older than most of us. SVEA123

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Okay, so what I'm gathering is that the SVEA 123 may not be the '06 of the stove world. It's more like the SMLE .303British.

I can dig that...

If anyone happens to trip over one, or has one they don't want/need, let me know.

VAnimrod:

I have a beauty SVEA 123 that I haven't used in maybe twenty or thirty years. But I wouldn't part with it. It's just too much like a work of art.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

So.... Concerning finding "something flammable" ; can you burn any kind of gas in the SVEA?? I thought it had to be white gas. I have a SVEA that I bought a few years ago ( the kind with the jet cleaner that you manually turn to clean) at a REI "scratch and dent" sale for a song.

I thought it was a great little stove and have used it a few times on the pickup tailgate while truck camping. I always thought it was a little heavy for backpack hunting. But it is a charming elegant little stove that is a work horse and it would be even more convenient if it could burn multiple fuels??

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You can, but it'll make a LOT more soot. Mine is the old one that has to have the jet cleaned manually, and it has to be cleaned more often. There are also additives in gasoline, the combustive by-products of which, might not be too healthy to breathe.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (2ndwind, 673, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 1badf350, 29aholic, 38 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,847
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.