Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
brilliant as a sand blasted rock.
I didn't read any of this till now, but it's hard to miss always on top like your humdolt meeting you posted on several times a day for weeks in a pathetic attempt to get attn.

You need a new pair of glasses bud. The Humboldt get together thread involved multiple people discussing everything from fried chicken to strip club owners and pretty much everything inbetween. It wasn't just Spano posting on it looking for attention like you claim.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I musta turned over the right rock and let the usual Cretins out.

Last edited by Spanokopitas; 05/11/11.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Only run a 550 and a 650. Had 2 primers pop in the dillons over the years, granted I generally didn't load that much like typically 20K or less in a year. Both of them somehow jiggled and ended up sideways in the pocket and went bang.

I"ve had one go off in a Lee hand set.

I never had one in a hand primer. But while I care, I really guess I shouldn't... if you want to deal with the uncontained explosion(better than if it went off with the round inside a die somehow...) I guess thast your business, but I don't want to chance brass shrapnel anywhere in my body personally.

ANd the bottom line here, it doesn't take a rocket scientist or much time to pull the rounds down and reload them again.

why risk it? If I didn't have the time it took to do that, I"d just buy loaded ammo ready to go.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have a friend who was loading 45s on a dillon 650. he had all the primers in the tube feed go off at once! Not sure exactly how it happened, neither is he, but it split the tube and stuck the plastic follower rod in the ceiling. Dillon sent him all new priming parts, but he was lucky he didnt get hurt.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Talk about a tempest in a teapot!

Spano, I'm glad you got your rounds primed without incident, and I'm danged if I can figure out why some folks seem to dislike you so much, but that's not really my main point.

My main point is that I have never liked priming cases with powder in 'em because I have no way of knowing how much powder is still in the case, which means I risk underpowered rounds that will be less accurate, or worse, squib rounds. That's why I take the time to pull those bullets and start fresh.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My main point is that I have never liked priming cases with powder in 'em because I have no way of knowing how much powder is still in the case, which means I risk underpowered rounds that will be less accurate, or worse, squib rounds. That's why I take the time to pull those bullets and start fresh.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner !!

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Talk about a tempest in a teapot!

Spano, I'm glad you got your rounds primed without incident, and I'm danged if I can figure out why some folks seem to dislike you so much, but that's not really my main point.

A very good point. I have the 31 cases separated from the remainder and will treat them as culls. I will be very aware of squibs.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Huntz
Well ,I would just put the primers in with a hand tool.When you shoot them just make sure the bullet clears the barrel.

Do not do this. While Unique is a large grain powder, some may exit the flash hole and reduce the charge. This is especially true for rifle cases and ball powders. When the primer is missing, the charge dribbles out through the flash hole, especially when the loaded cartridge falls into the bin and is not noticed until later. That case can loose a significant amount of powder and cause a dangerous under load that will raise pressure to a dangerous level. A below minimum charge of slow ball powder = bomb. Best is to pull the bullet and start over. That's why I don't prime on a progressive press anymore - no body ever came up with a foolproof primer system.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 05/13/11.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have been reading this post and to me it is a no brainer. pull the bullets dump the powder and start over. anything else is a accident waiting to happen. I had one primer go off when I started loading with a lee hand loader and was seating the primer,just whacked it too hard.just heard a sharp crack and smoke came out of the case did not hurt me at all..

Last edited by Hubert; 05/13/11.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
Originally Posted by DocRocket

A very good point. I have the 31 cases separated from the remainder and will treat them as culls. I will be very aware of squibs.

Probably the most prudent course, taking everything into account.

My usual practice with such rounds is to throw 'em into a peanut can on my bench. I end up with a mix of various calibers & loads. When the can is full, usually in late winter near the end of the reloadin' season, I get out the kinetic bullet puller, get myself a couple wobbly pops, put on some tunes, and start breakin' 'em down. I end up with a couple piles of (mostly reusable) cases & bullets, and a pile of mixed powders. I sort the brass & bullets and then take the powder outside to 'light some flares'. Makes for a pleasant evening's entertainment once or twice a year.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (338rcm, 7mm_Loco, 35, 6mmbrfan, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,371 guests, and 808 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,949
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.