Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oooook then; I'm good to go loading the small primed .45acp cases later on. Whew! whistle

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Originally Posted by jwp475

dla, whitworth test a lot of factory loads (handgun round) that shoot extremely well at bfr's place. Some ofthose loads use LR primers. The LR primer is has a much greater force of ignition than a magnum pistol primer and yet he ignores any and all evidence that doesn't agree with his opinion

He is wrong in so many ways

You have no idea what primers are use. Most large calibers like the .475 use LP mag primers and they are needed.
Some .500 S&W brass was cut for a LP mag primer and others cut for a LR primer. Did you know guns have been blown up when LR primers were used in LP brass because a proud primer can fire against the frame.
But you said it right---FORCE! Force not needed, heat is needed.
You have not proven a single time what you say.

Yes I do have an idea of what primer Grizzlt ammo use. How You ask? Grizzly Ammo used my 500JRH to test all of their factory loads in 500 JRH, I asked if he indeed uesed LR primers in certain loads and was told yes

It is you that has no idea and that is for sure and for certain

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Several powder and gun makers told me NOT to use LR primers. I will stay with those findings and my own.
I got the virus out of my computer so here is the picture of .45 ACP revolver groups.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I see some pictures did come up. I had some program that shut down one thing at a time and wanted me to buy something. It told me I had 52 viruses when I had none. Took a lot of hunting by a friend to find it and do away with it. It was called defender and looked like Microsoft stuff. It might have been Microsoft with a time code to spend money. One thing after another stopped until nothing could be opened without a window saying to download and pay.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not to choose sides here..i had a similar discussion with BFR last year. So being the stubborn hard headed person that i am i set out to prove him wrong. I started an all out primer testing fiasco of my own. I bought every brand primer i could find, even some old remington from the 60's a friend of mine still had. I tried, unique, bulleye, Imr4227, 2400, 296, new brass, once fired, and "darn near worn out brass" Hell I had a Western Sizzlin buffet of 44 mag garb loaded up. in all reality i got tighter groups(not much) with well used brass and LP primers than I did with any other brass/powder/primer combination. My final load ended up being 2400/federal #150/well used starline brass/ 240 keith bullet/ Ruger redhawk 7.5 1981 model. All of my testing was this summer so i have no temperature comparisons. most days testing were 95*+ and all was done between 25-50yds outside off of sandbag/ shoot n clean. Further testing to come in cold weather. Dont know if it means anything or not but he was partially correct about the issues we argued then. I feel overall that my abilities as a shooter were more important than all the other crap combined and in the long run any of the loads would have been more than accurate enough to down a white tail. My S&W 500 uses only LR primers and you can bet it'll never see an LP primer in it i can tell you that. Nor will any of my rifles ever see LP primers. I have never loaded 45 acp with SP primers and doubt i ever will. I doubt any auto in 45 acp would ever know the difference. If it does i wont be there to see it. Some of my best groups with my Colt pre series 70 National Match was with white box wal-mart ammo. I have a series 70 LW commander that nothing will shoot good in. I guess i never intended to be as accurate with my 1911's as i am with my big bore revolvers.

If the world didnt suck we would all fall off!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 8updeerhunter
Not to choose sides here..i had a similar discussion with BFR last year. So being the stubborn hard headed person that i am i set out to prove him wrong. I started an all out primer testing fiasco of my own. I bought every brand primer i could find, even some old remington from the 60's a friend of mine still had. I tried, unique, bulleye, Imr4227, 2400, 296, new brass, once fired, and "darn near worn out brass" Hell I had a Western Sizzlin buffet of 44 mag garb loaded up. in all reality i got tighter groups(not much) with well used brass and LP primers than I did with any other brass/powder/primer combination. My final load ended up being 2400/federal #150/well used starline brass/ 240 keith bullet/ Ruger redhawk 7.5 1981 model. All of my testing was this summer so i have no temperature comparisons. most days testing were 95*+ and all was done between 25-50yds outside off of sandbag/ shoot n clean. Further testing to come in cold weather. Dont know if it means anything or not but he was partially correct about the issues we argued then. I feel overall that my abilities as a shooter were more important than all the other crap combined and in the long run any of the loads would have been more than accurate enough to down a white tail. My S&W 500 uses only LR primers and you can bet it'll never see an LP primer in it i can tell you that. Nor will any of my rifles ever see LP primers. I have never loaded 45 acp with SP primers and doubt i ever will. I doubt any auto in 45 acp would ever know the difference. If it does i wont be there to see it. Some of my best groups with my Colt pre series 70 National Match was with white box wal-mart ammo. I have a series 70 LW commander that nothing will shoot good in. I guess i never intended to be as accurate with my 1911's as i am with my big bore revolvers.

I like that, that you tested. That is important and what I ask. I get out of sorts when all manuals say you NEED mag primers.
The 1911 can use both the LP and SP primers because it is not a revolver. Yet there might be a tiny accuracy advantage with the SP primer and evidence is the amount of cases found cut for the SP primer.
I don't like to argue at any time. I present my findings for everyone to try, nothing is cut in stone. Just think out of the box to see if it works for you.
Many dispute and that is fine but you have to test first. Others dispute to keep an argument going forever without ever knowing a thing about it. Do the work, see what works, it might be different then what I found and I will agree with you.
It is the sharing of experience that just might help someone that is important and personal stuff needs to be left out.
None of us shoots the same stuff so results change.
Now the .500 S&W CAN use a LR primer as the case is large. My caution is to make sure your brass was not cut for a LP primer because there is brass out there. THAT IS DANGEROUS if you use a LR primer. Measure pocket depth if you pick up brass. You can cut the pocket deeper with a tool. Your safety in my concern.

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use the same loads for sp and lp brass and the accuracy is consistent enough for my purposes

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1234, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.