-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think that's it's dangerous to flute a barrel that's lighter in contour, I was just stating that his choices might be limited as to what he could get fluted. Guess I should have stated that more clearly. Just my personal preference that if I went with the flutes, I would only have it done by the barrel maker so that any heat treating needed would be done by the maker and final lapping as well so that the barrel meets spec and proper stress relieving as well.

Regarding the stainless and minimum contours, I think that's a bunch of BS as even Crucible states that their 416R is safe to use in temps as low as -40F in sporter contours.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1minute,

The Savage I have used to have a 26" heavy barrel. Now it has a thin barrel. It has enough room between the barrel and plastic stock for twigs to get in. Looks it does't have, but it is lighter by a bunch.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I like the theories in support of a fluted barrel, and like the looks, so my latest build has a fluted #4. When deciding on the interrupted vs straight fluting, the guys at Brux thought the interrupted fluting would offer marginally more stiffness, so that's the way I went.

[Linked Image]

John

The bottom one is great.Haven't see too many like that.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by 30338
Thanks Hondo. Got some meat on that fore end.

Yeah, as discussed in other threads, it may not be the ideal fit for that forend. It is a compromise. I didn't want to go heavier or lighter in barrel, and after discussion with McMillan, decided the #4 Brux would just be too tight a squeeze in the McMillan Hunter, as opposed to the Remington Hunter I finally selected.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I don't think that's it's dangerous to flute a barrel that's lighter in contour, I was just stating that his choices might be limited as to what he could get fluted. Guess I should have stated that more clearly. Just my personal preference that if I went with the flutes, I would only have it done by the barrel maker so that any heat treating needed would be done by the maker and final lapping as well so that the barrel meets spec and proper stress relieving as well.

Regarding the stainless and minimum contours, I think that's a bunch of BS as even Crucible states that their 416R is safe to use in temps as low as -40F in sporter contours.

Didn't take what you said as a claim. Was just pointing out some examples of how much (little) that #4 manufacturer requirement may be worth.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Fischer

There's a reality check. I like the way they look and it played a part in my decision to buy a particular rifle that I really, really didn't need. Although I did find ways to justify it in my own mind, once I had it in my hands. It's funny how it's actually easier to fool yourself than anybody else. I might go on an elk hunt some day, right?? I say looking cool is reason enough and if there's any real benefit, it's icing on the cake.

What was my purpose for this?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see no practical advantage to the fad of fluted barrels. If you like them fine.

I do like to look of an octagon barrel but they are not practical except on a full custom built for looks.

"If you don't know what shape to make something then make it round."

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Spencer,

That is a GREAT looking rig. What are the details?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have two barrels the same weight and one is fluted it will be stiffer due to the increased / greater surface area.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Spencer,

That is a GREAT looking rig. What are the details?

John

My Blue Rifle:

700 SA
284win
22" PN SS (I don't know the contour)
McMillan Rem Classic, 50% Black, 25%white, 25%blue
Wyatt's Box
Calahan Firing Pin Assymbly, Blue shroud of course
All flutes- Blue dura-coat, or cera-kot, or one of them, somebody did the work for me.
I don't have a weight on her, but She handles nice.

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think flutes look cool, but do I think they hold an advantage in cooling over non fluted barrels? not enough to notice really, I have both fluted and non fluted barreled rifles and don't notice any difference in cooling time between them and there's very little weight savings on the rigs I have with #2 barrel contours, should be a noticeable weight savings with a heavier contour barrel, but again I do like the look, which is also a personal thing.............HB

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.