Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I think a decent "spark" might come from the election.

Like I said, that sort of spark will happen regardless of who wins. The question is how fast will it happen. It has already started. Will it remain this relatively slow pace until after the election or will industry see the writing on the wall and start moving in, say, August?

I'm starting to think the latter. Much as they would like to hold off until December, I don't think they have the guts, and will blink before the election. August, September, somewhere in there. But if not, Dec/January

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I'm thinking we will see a pronounced and steady improvement in the economy over the next eight months.

Just today the Dow tested 13,000. This is a good time to be fully invested, notice I did not say "become fully invested". At these levels we are in dollar cost average territory.

There will be corrections before the markets top out at new all time highs. I would view any correction in the 8-10% range as a buying opportunity.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Like the British Empire and then the Soviet Union before - there will start to be a military exodus whereby troops will come home and foreign bases will be closed at an ever accelerating rate.

Defense will become less about the projection of influence around the world - and more about actually defending American soil from domestic threats..

Military spending will increase for special ops and drones - but we'll see far less in the way of foreign troop deployment.

If military spending goes from exceeding the next 17 countries combined, to perhaps only outspending the next two or three combined - economic prosperity will return.
Sometimes an outside perspective can be very accurate, being able to see all the develpments without the hope/denial. We already don't want to pay for our empire, but we still want to be partisan fans.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I do not subscribe to Federal Reserve conspiracy theories, as many here do.

In my opinion a strong central bank is essential to the economic well-being of any First World country.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

In my opinion a strong central bank is essential to the economic well-being of any First World country.
Then you fundamentally misunderstand the nature of free markets.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Short question,..

If America doesn't pull out of its spending/debt situation, what's the prognosis?

By that, I mean, what will happen, in your opinion?

I can see the crash coming,...and as far as the monetary situation is concerned, that's easy enough to envision.

But there's several scenarios which a person can interpolate upon concerning the post crash circumstances.

I'll tell ya straight up,...I have no idea.

I may or may not post again in this thread,..we'll see how it goes.

I just want to see what others have to say on the matter.

I'll be sitting here reading.

The government will get bigger and more intrusive.And people will welcome it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

www.paracay.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nun chucks and neck gaiters........ Quite a pair!

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about this from MSNBC
http://money.msn.com/family-money/americas-coming-homeless-surge-fiscaltimes.aspx

This will give you all a warm fuzzy feeling about our future. Consider the source and judge for yourself. kwg

America's coming homeless surgeIn the current downturn, federal assistance has helped avert a spike in homelessness, but that tap is now running dry.

.Get ready for the next big financial bubble: the growth of the U. S. homeless population.

The biggest recent assistance for the homeless came in President Barack Obama's 2009 stimulus package. The measure provided $1.5 billion to the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program, temporarily aiding homeless and near-homeless households. According to a report issued in January by the National Alliance to End Homelessness, the program has helped more than one million impoverished people find housing, but it is set to end this fall.

"The resources provided by (the program) have run out in many communities . . . . Debt and deficit at the federal level have already begun to shrink assistance available to the most vulnerable," according to the report. "The failure to sustain this early recipe for success threatens to undermine progress now and in the future."
A separate report released in September by the same organization noted that the ranks of the nation's homeless could swell by 5% over the ensuing three years if no similar programs replace the program.

The view from the street
Veda Simpson, a former methadone addict, was homeless for 10 years, living in shelters, crack houses and what she dubbed "abandominiums" in public housing complexes. Then last year, thanks to a federal housing voucher, she moved into an apartment in the North Capitol area of Washington, D.C.

"I used to go in the kitchen and fit my body up under the sink in the cabinet -- you have to adjust your body to get up under there -- and I used to have to sleep in there so security wouldn't find me," Simpson told the Fiscal Times. "I slept in there for about six months, and it was rough."

Simpson, a vendor for StreetSense, a daily newspaper about the homeless, is one of thousands of people who have managed to get off the streets and into housing in recent years, despite one of the worst recessions in modern history, according to experts and homeless advocates. Now Simpson lives in subsidized housing with her eight cats, and she says she is two months away from earning certification as a veterinary technician through an online program. "It's really hard being homeless," she said. "I don't see nobody who wants to continue like that. They're trying to better themselves."

Despite the tough times, there are glimmers of good news, though. The NAEH report found a slight decrease in the overall number of people living on the street from 2009 to 2011: The ranks of the nation's homeless fell by 1%, or about 7,000 people.

Across the country, 636,017 people were identified as homeless in 2011, compared with 643,067 in 2009, according to the departments of Housing and Urban Development, Justice, Labor, Commerce and Health and Human Services.

With the visibility of homeless people and panhandlers on street corners of downtown areas in many cities, it's hard to imagine that the problem of homelessness is actually waning. The NAEH study cautions that the plight of the homeless is likely to grow more acute because of low-paying jobs, high housing costs and the loss of emergency federal assistance

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Far too much to read.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Far too little to care.

Not directed at anyone.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (204guy, 16gage, 1234, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.