Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, 30R Blaser RWS brass is avail over here, not terrible pricing, not great, either. So, that is in play for sure. Thinking about a pivoting rail mount vs rings.Looks nicer.
Wondering if a person should stick with a 1-6x24 or go to a 42. My only doubt, is on scope height vs stock comb being high enough to be practical. I have a 1-4x24 Swaro, would prefer the 6x,have a hankering for the S&B flashdot reticle.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Noooo! Don't do it for DG gun! Maybe for your deerstalker in mild caliber and a light rifle, but there is something fundamentally wrong with a scope on a DG double.

As alluded to above, would you put a mustache on this and throw a burka over it? Granted it would still perform, but some of the romance would be missing.

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Only Ruag (RWS) makes 30R cases. RWS never was cheap company for cases or ammo, but quality has a price which include quality itself plus brand name and reputation. You get what you pay for.
30R is not DG caliber, you can scope such a double, but do yourself a favor don't over burden it with too heavy a scope. A double is not a bolt action magazine rifle, weight transfer, vibrations, harmonics can change when scoped. On the very big caliber, mounts don't stand recoil most of time except if claw mount.

Zeiss Victory 1,1-4x24 Varipoint are a good choice with other Swaro, Schmidt or Kahles but not cheap too.
The new Victory HT with its fantastic glass will even be better.
As i already wrote better scope an O/U than and SxS. Generally their stocks better fit scope mounting, the way barrel vibrate and work when shot, too.
You can have very well made leather removable cheek pad to use with scoped double. They don't alter the rifle's esthetic and give you better head position when scoped.

More than any other rifles, doubles are all in compromise between, caliber, balance, weight, sights, stock shape and regulation. Some eat different types of bullets, some only one! No matter how you try and handload. No need to save on rifle or scope if you spend money in components trying to do them shoot...

Don't be fooled by some who say the contrary: that's the true. I'm in contact with most of the euro double rifle makers and they know what they speak of.

Cheap is never a good approach there, but no need to take mortage on your house to buy one.
Define your real needs, what you like, find some to take in hand and try if you can, then have the scope mounting job made by a really good gunsmith, go hunting and enjoy.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NEGC makes bases and claw mounts for fitting scopes to double rifles, drillings and cape guns.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[quote=hatari]Noooo! Don't do it for DG gun!

Why?

Do you have scopes on any rifles?
Are they more useful at longer ranges thta iron sightd\s?

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
At this point, I am in the hurry up and wait for answers on the gun mode. Likely it'll be a couple more weeks before I make a firm decision on which gun and cartridge it will be for the light one.
Could be the 30R, could be a 7x65R. The heavy one will be ordered after I've shot the light one for a bit, likely next spring, 98% sure that will be a 450/400NE 3". I have come to the conclusion I will set up for a 1-4 or a 1-6x24, on a rail mount, on the light one.Which likely means Swaro, probably a Z6.
I agree an O/U would likely be simpler, and a whole bunch cheaper, but, that would be simple. I just can't do the easy thing and I want a SXS. I have set up a meeting next month with a fella that knows a bit about DR's, he has committed to helping out in the areas he can.
I am enjoying all the sawdust burning and researching for now.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi,

Most of NECG bases and scope mounts for doubles come from Germany made by Recknagel, EAW and may be other makers because they are use to produce quantity of different systems adapted to high number of doubles made there by continental and british gun manufacturers...

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone know if the rib on the Sabatti is solid or hollow? (No Sabatti bashing, PLEASE !!)

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Normally it's a solid one. And generally they are pre equiped for scope mounts (EAW/Recknagel)
Sabatti double in 8x57IRS, 9,3x74R most of time are very well regulated and accurate.
Sabatti is making it's own barrels (very good ones) i have an Alpine LR target rifle from them in 6,5x47 which is a constant 1/3 to 1/2 moa if i do my part and read the wind right from 100 to 600m, max distance i shot it yet. So no Sabatti bashing for sure...

Dom

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Sorry WiFowler i forgot to add: the SxS Safari big bore don't have pre equipment for scope, being destinated to hunt with fixed sights.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Sorry WiFowler i forgot to add: the SxS Safari big bore don't have pre equipment for scope, being destinated to hunt with fixed sights.

Yes and no . . . . the rib is D&T for an included Weaver-style base. The intent of my question was to find out if the rib would 'endure' the dovetailing process for a dovetail mount. I envision a reflex sight - Burris FastFire, Trijicon RMR, Leupold DeltaPoint, et al, on a dovetail mount thus decreasing the height above the bore(s) as compared to the Weaver-style base, and the Weaver-style clamp on reflex sight. Just thinking out loud . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You can mill out the bottom of the Weaver base so it fit's very low on the rib.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Was not thinking of Weaver bases, your right. You better go on single pivot mount base to put in a dovetail on the rib, flush with it and use a corresponding interface for Docter sight that can be quickly removed in case of need. Made by all the German mount makers. The new HMS mount is even better, no need to pivot it, lock with a strong lever, hold on well, easy, fast, to remove.
You'll can have it also for MicroH1 Aimpoint, easier to zero, tougher, very long battery life.
We mount such bases in Europe on most good SxS without problem. Bit more expensive than Weaver but efficient, light and nicer.

Dom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMike1
You can mill out the bottom of the Weaver base so it fit's very low on the rib.

Why didn't I think of that? crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Taking this a step further . . . will a Trijicon RMR mate up to a Docter mount and Docter sight mate up to a RMR mount? I know (I tried) that the Leupold DeltaPoint fits on a a Trijicon mount.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing everyone missed, I believe, is that in scoping a DR you want The Lightest set up you can get to do the job!!!!

It will have the lowest relative effect on regulation...scope on/scope off. wink

I like a Leupold 2-7 for a DR. They hold up fine and are sufficient for the 300+ yard shots.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, it is going to be a Krieghoff Classic, 30R Blaser, 600mm barrels, with 3 leaf express,white bead frt, regulated with a demo scope & 180gr to 100yds, swing mount with rings setup, alum case.
I have the 1-4x24 Swaro I can try out on it. Quite possibly could have it in time & ready to go shoot something with it in Nov.
Doesn't look as though I will bust the budget to get both guns.The other will be the VC Azur XA in 450/400ne 3",600mm barrels and the 3 leaf express sights with the white frt bead as well. Unless I buy another scope for the 30R.
I got some 30R loads from Western Powders, a few from WF, and will have to try the ones off the Tirmailly forum in Quickload to see how they look.
This certainly has the makings of an interesting year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 30 Blaser R is a great choice, IMO. It was designed expressly ( pun intended ) for a combo or DR. cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,277
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.