"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by reelman
Accuracy is far from the only thing in a custom rifle. Without accuracy it doesn't much matter but looks also count for something, and sorry but Tikka doesn't have much in the way of looks. Life's to short to shoot an ugly rifle!

My sentiment exactly. Hell, I had a TC Encore barrel in 7mm-08 that shot better than I could ask of any rifle, no matter who made it or the cost. But, the rifle was clunky, and could not get my blood going no matter how functional it was. My Kimbers, I have two, each proved to be difficult, but when you find their sweet spot, it don't get much sweeter. I love shooting and carrying them.

Id take a 1.5 MOA Rifle with steel and figreglass than 2 aluminum/plastic rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA.

Eventually somewhere down the road I could make the 1.5 MOA Shoot better, if I wanted to, even while shooting at moderate distances Ive found little difference in practical gong-ringability between a 1/2 and 1.5 MOA load, unless of course you like drooling over itty bitty groups. But the plastic/aluminum tack driver would still be plastic/aluminum.

And tikkas arent a "bargain" in fact up here theyre more expensive than their steel counterparts.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by reelman
Accuracy is far from the only thing in a custom rifle. Without accuracy it doesn't much matter but looks also count for something, and sorry but Tikka doesn't have much in the way of looks. Life's to short to shoot an ugly rifle!

My sentiment exactly. Hell, I had a TC Encore barrel in 7mm-08 that shot better than I could ask of any rifle, no matter who made it or the cost. But, the rifle was clunky, and could not get my blood going no matter how functional it was. My Kimbers, I have two, each proved to be difficult, but when you find their sweet spot, it don't get much sweeter. I love shooting and carrying them.

Id take a 1.5 MOA Rifle with steel and figreglass than 2 aluminum/plastic rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA.

Eventually somewhere down the road I could make the 1.5 MOA Shoot better, if I wanted to, even while shooting at moderate distances Ive found little difference in practical gong-ringability between a 1/2 and 1.5 MOA load, unless of course you like drooling over itty bitty groups. But the plastic/aluminum tack driver would still be plastic/aluminum.

And tikkas arent a "bargain" in fact up here theyre more expensive than their steel counterparts.

Steel and fiberglass? Heck I don't consider any rifle to be custom unless it has a real wood stock on it!

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
[even while shooting at moderate distances Ive found little difference in practical gong-ringability between a 1/2 and 1.5 MOA load

I would send a 1.5moa gun down the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not directed directly at you dc223 .... BUT

Blah Blah Blah.....

0.5, 1, 1.5, 2 MOA rifles ... hunt with all of them, kill schitt with all of them. Iffin' I miss its my fault not my 2MOA-rile's fault. Match my rifle to my locatiion and my abilities ... all is goodly and if I don't screw up AND if I hunt hard AND with a little wink from the Good Lord above, I harvest game.

Its not rocket science guys ... no need to bash other folks choice in arms.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't get any rifle to sit in the corner and look at, and marvel how good it looks, including a .5MOA tikka 695 7mag I've had for 13 years now. It's got plastic, and it's extremely tough, and exceedingly, boringly accurate as anything I've ever shot.

I trusted it enough to take it deep into Sonora for this once in a lifetime, 213" gross typical muley buck

[Linked Image   </div></div><br><br><br>Damn! What a deer.  </div>
<br>

</div>

<div class=
Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't get any rifle to sit in the corner and look at, and marvel how good it looks, including a .5MOA tikka 695 7mag I've had for 13 years now. It's got plastic, and it's extremely tough, and exceedingly, boringly accurate as anything I've ever shot.

I trusted it enough to take it deep into Sonora for this once in a lifetime, 213" gross typical muley buck

[Linked Image   </div></div><br><br>That is one <span style=helluva buck!!!

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OMG JG! How'd you get em through the door?! (Just guessing that you had him mounted)

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V

[Linked Image   </div></div> Damn nice Muley Raider.........Congrats man!........Hb</div>
<br>

</div>

</td></tr>

</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

<div id=
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I do have a fair amount of mule deer experience, but more than anything else I'm very lucky. I've simply been in the right place at the right time on several 190+ class bucks. I'm sorry to those who see I keep posting pics of that buck. It was taken in Dec of 2006 and I still can't wipe the smile off my face. You see, I'm addicted to mule deer hunting, and have been since I was 11 (40 yrs ago). I'd dreamed of going to Sonora for 20 years before I got to go. Right place, right time is all I can attribute it to. BTW, he's over 35" wide! Thanks for the kind words. I know I suck BTW!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by senior
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Hell, I can't shoot in the .2's no matter the rifle I'm using.

Envious as well you bastiges! grin

Perhaps you should try even a standard barrel weight Tikka... wink grin

I have.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Agreed : a 1.5moa is AT LEAST 4.5moa at 300 yds under bench conditions. Hunting is not bench shooting so the odds are increased against you.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
I'm perpetually on the verge of springing for one of these in .243. How low can you get the rings on one?

Pretty low if you know a trick or two...
[Linked Image]
M8 6x42
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mines a 30-06 (hold your applause) and shoots 155 Scenars nicely. Seems to be built as well as an off the rack ADL, which I prefer since DBM isn't really my cup of tea. Loading singles is pretty much a none issue. Stock is blah...but so is Remmies. Would I buy another? Well, I didn't buy this one....but for $650 (I think that's about right) you can put an ADL in a Ti take off. I'll give credit to the trigger, it's nice. Ergos? Ain't no one size fits all anything last I checked. Nice balance....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What stock is that? ^

Standard PlasTikka varmint stock, Duracoat finish.

The varmint stock fits very well.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by avagadro

0.5, 1, 1.5, 2 MOA rifles ... hunt with all of them, kill schitt with all of them. Iffin' I miss its my fault not my 2MOA-rile's fault.

Who says a gun is for hunting? Hunting season here is one week a year, what about the other 51 weeks of shooting? 2MOA? That is a 10" group at 500 with no wind, and off a bench. Now aim that piece of crap over a pack, throw in some wind, and that 2MOA gun is only good for holding up tomatoes.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by jwall

Agreed : a 1.5moa is AT LEAST 4.5moa at 300 yds under bench conditions. Hunting is not bench shooting so the odds are increased against you.

So 1.5" at 100 equates, automatically, to 13.5" at 300. How's that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by jwall

So 1.5" at 100 equates, automatically, to 13.5" at 300. How's that?

laugh laugh crazy

I think someone is confused here!

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Maybe jwall was thinking of a Ruger #1? Dohhhhh!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've made the exact same mistake so I'm a bit sympathetic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by avagadro

0.5, 1, 1.5, 2 MOA rifles ... hunt with all of them, kill schitt with all of them. Iffin' I miss its my fault not my 2MOA-rile's fault.

Who says a gun is for hunting? Hunting season here is one week a year, what about the other 51 weeks of shooting? 2MOA? That is a 10" group at 500 with no wind, and off a bench. Now aim that piece of crap over a pack, throw in some wind, and that 2MOA gun is only good for holding up tomatoes.

In your opinion .... but then again, I don't do a whole lotta shooting at 500 yards with a 30-30. Good Luck with that smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,284 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.083s Queries: 55 (0.003s) Memory: 0.9263 MB (Peak: 1.0456 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2024-05-07 08:45:41 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS