Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by brymoore
It looks like you subscribe to the Big Stick school of rifle care.

God forbid dirt gets on a work gun..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Ken,
The talley LW lows will work with a 3.5-10x40 on the 84L, so I'd imagine they'll be fine on your 8400.

Mounted the Talley Low mounts with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 Boone & Crocket reticle. Perfect !

[Linked Image]

Now to get it to the bench.

Ken

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'm still waiting rather impatiently for my Talleys to get here from Midway. I plan on trying my Conquest and my Burris 2-7 around the house to see if there's a big balance difference. The Burris is half way between the two Leupolds in weight.

Of course the best test would be to just use the Conquest for a season and see how it does, but hey, that'd probably just make too much sense.. LOL

Best,
C

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm going to make ONE more range trip, using leupold number three, and then send them the rifle and the target.

What was Kimber's response?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Holy [bleep] [bleep] I wish I had Take A Knees mindset. His do-nothing, btch and moan, piss into the wind attitude is awesome. It would save me from being so [bleep] ambitious and doing things like making guns shoot, paying bills, hunting, shooting rifles, scouting, working on my truck, making friends/hunting contacts, etc.

Jesus H. Christ I should have adopted his mentality today and told the Goose hunters I just met and hunted with today that it was raining out, and my shotgun was cold on my little fingy's, and I was wet and btchy so I coulda just gone home and forgot about it.

And cleaning the Geese....for fck sakes...its sooooo much work. You gotta sharpen a knife...who has time or energy for that!?!?!?

Priceless and exactly what I was thinking. I'm guessing his wife and friends have all shot themselves or moved away. It's like listening to a fat 13 year old girl who's new jeans didn't fit when she got home from the mall, and she'd rather tell everyone about it instead of returning them.

Lots of good scope recommendations here - I've had a few Montanas and a few 700 Ti short actions and have always put 3-10 Swaro AV's on them. Light weight, and for my eyes, the Swaro glass is worth it.

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Got my talleys and mounted up my Conquest, as well as a 2-7x35 fullfield II I have. In bright light there's a subtle quality difference in clarity which is dramatically heightened in poor lighting (rainy day). The Conquest is a little top heavy but not bad, and the eyebox is not as forgiving as the Leupolds I tried at Cabelas (but way better than the Burris).

Long and short of it, I ordered a Leupold 3-10x40 CDS yesterday, just under the wire for the rebate. I decided on that for the better eyebox and CDS. The couple oz of weight savings is a minor perk. smile

Since it sounds like the butler creek cap quality has gone to pot lately, I'll probably put a scope shield on it. Should also help keep the CDS from getting bumped from where I set it (surprised me just how easy the dial is to turn when I was handling those).

Thanks again for all your help!!

Oh, FWIW, anyone find that low talleys are almost too low? I have to have a -tight- cheek weld to get a good view. We'll see how it goes at the range and if I'll need to go mediums to be more comfortable.

Best,
C.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CharlieKilo98

Oh, FWIW, anyone find that low talleys are almost too low? I have to have a -tight- cheek weld to get a good view. We'll see how it goes at the range and if I'll need to go mediums to be more comfortable.

Yeah, me! The Montana 84M receiver is smaller in diameter;"mediums" mount lower,likewise "lows"....gotta go mediums to get lows on these vs other rifles with bigger receivers.Hadda scrunch a 257 Roberts to make it fit with "low" mounts.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
My montana groups about as well without a scope so, in my case, most anything would be an improvement.

My question is, if it's such a POS, why do you still have it? Hell, tell you what, I'll give you $700.00 right now for it just so we can quit listening to your bitching and moaning. That outta be oodles for scrap metal and plastic!

$800 and IT CAN BE YOURS! All I need is a money order and an address with an FFL.

Didn't I send you a pm just a week ago after you sent me a pm stating that you would take $800 plus shipping. Let me see. What did my last pm say "you know the one that you never responded to" What did it say? I remember. " I'll take it. Send me your address and I'll get a mo and FFL info right out to ya"

In deflave's famous line. GFY no seriously not playing GFY

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I know you're ticked with him, but please keep it civil or if you must fling insults, do it in PMs. This thread got derailed mid way and barely found it's way back on topic.

Thanks again for everyone's input on scoping my rifle. Can hardly wait to get it out to the range.

Best,
C.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Leupold M8 6x36

This or maybe the new model would be my pick. If I had a Montana...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Anyone running a S&B Summit on an 84L?

If so, a pic or two would be appreciated...

“Factio democratica delenda est"
I
I
Badley-
Those slings work great! I've got the same.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by firearms44
Just recently traded for this Montana in 25-06. It came with Tally Medium rings. I have one of the new leupold VX-2 3-9x40 Silver so I mounted it for looks. The rings are a bit high for me then I like for proper cheek weld. I ordered a set of low mounts but think there isn't enough clearence for a 40mm bell. Might have to swap scopes and use my VX-3 2.5-8x36mm with Boone & Crocket reticle. Here is a picture with a Leupold VARI-X III 3.5-10x40mm

[Linked Image]

The 2.5-8 is matte finish so I ordered the low Tally mounts to match. Might be a better fit.

Ken

FYI, the Talley lows work perfect with the VX-2 3-9x40.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Really like that camo paint pattern!

Best,
C.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks. It's Krylon Camo (Ultra Flat) Khaki and Olive with a black webbing and topped off with Duracoat matte clear. Easy to do.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll second the compliment on the paint job. That looks great.
I have a Manners stock that needs paint. Is that a paint kit, and where did you get it?

Last edited by cobrad; 10/02/12.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No kit, all readily available. The krylon came from Amazon and the webbing from a local hobby shop called Michaels. I added a Duracoat matte clear coat, but I'm not sure that was necessary. If you want a clear coat, any good true matte clear would probably be fine. I read that Valspar's flat clear is good. I only went with Duracoat because the Krylon flat clear was too shiny for my taste.

http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K04293...mp;sr=8-1&keywords=krylon+camouflage

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 21, 17CalFan, 1234, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,464
Posts18,508,289
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.