-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
AussieLad, I gotta take her out and put her on 'em. Scary work when the critters are few and far between.

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yup - you're an old softy. I think it happens to most of us.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So is Darby, got this from him.

I saw the 'Fire thread about softies toward wild animals, and the first thing I thought of was the local squirrels. These are generally Kaibabs with tufted ears, but there's also an occasional Grey. I'll find a shot of one of my buddies and send it along. Squirrels and birds are welcome, but javelinas get the bum's rush.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by T LEE
So is Darby, got this from him.

I saw the 'Fire thread about softies toward wild animals, and the first thing I thought of was the local squirrels. These are generally Kaibabs with tufted ears, but there's also an occasional Grey. I'll find a shot of one of my buddies and send it along. Squirrels and birds are welcome, but javelinas get the bum's rush.

[Linked Image]

Neat critters. I hunted for Abert's in AZ one time, unsuccessfully. Never saw a one. Until a couple years ago I'd never even heard of jet black phase grey squirrels, and had never seen them, but some time after I found a clutch of them in a place I stumbled on. Pity every single one was of the suburban backyard variety. I have been told that in other places they are very common, but not here.

Another few pics of Chuckles Squirrel on a pistachio feast taken two or three days ago. So far, in observing him, the nuts that he finds that are shelled he eats immediately. The ones still encased in a shell, he stashes. I've been thinking of messing with him, and digging up his caches and leaving something else, but nah. That'd be mean. I think I may try the nut on a fishing line route instead. Squeal fishin' has possibilities... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

@ TLEE:

Javelina get no quarter from me either. wink

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Tree rats around here are like roving gangs that will destroy bird feeders to get at any sunflower seeds. Wifey likes to watch and feed birds, and we have a couple of nice feeders loaded with black oil seeds hanging in the backyard.

My GSP loves to lie at the back door and watch the birds come and go - his version of reality TV. But when he sees a tree rat sneaking in, he lets me know. The Winchester 67 and a few CB longs are always by the mantel. I usually kill over 50 a year from my deck. The young ones are saved for stews, or biscuits and gravy.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MColeman
I understand your attitude completely. I try to catch dirt daubers that get into my shop and take them outside.

And sometimes I pick up worms off the driveway and throw them back on the lawn.

Age mellows, I guess.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We don't leave any feed out for critters up here - try to avoid attracting trouble and nuisances. And, generally, don't kill the squirrles/rabbits/chipmunks/etc. near the place as it is interesting to see the eagles and hawks do their thing.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
An interloper invades the possum feeding grounds!

When I looked out, the Coon and the Possum were both eating out of the bowl.

The Possum split,..the Coon had to see what all the fuss was about.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by eh76
Don't let Bristoe fool ya...softy no...fattening that grinner up for Christmas dinner grin

you're thinking of Ellie Mae or Granny!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mom had those damned coons coming right in her pet door out in the garage, after the cat food. She'd go out there and they'd haul azz, climbing up the pegboards and getting into everything.

After the cat ran off for good, she blocked the door, so the coons would stay out.

If she'd have called me, I'd have gone over there and whacked some coons in the head for her, but she's a tough old country gal and handles the little things her own way.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

S
S
My two Huskies like to adopt possum from time to time....although it doesn't end well for the possum!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had a fox that has hung around our yard for years. She has had multiple litters of babies in the haystack, and she isn't hurting anything so we let her mouse around. Probably a good thing to cut down on the mice population.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Around here tree rats get no quarter from me. They do too much damage in our orchard. Anything with a bushy tail gets blasted.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 308ld, 1badf350, 7 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,900
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.