Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
In my short experience, I've come to the conclusion that I shoot best prone, so all of my load work comes off the ground or out of the bed of my truck using a bipod and rear bag.

My folly, I'm realizing, is that I don't hunt with a bipod and I have never really taken the time to check for POI shifts like Jordan is reporting on. Maybe I just need to start hunting with a lightweight BP...

Good one Tanner. Develop the load with the rifle set up as you intend to use it in the field or competition.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This is a good reason for why I do ALL of my shooting (sans at animals) off a back pack with a rear rest under the butt. Load work up, scope zeroing, recreational shooting, is all done with my pecker on mother natures chin, and my stock nestled on my 3000 cu. In. Filled with the same two schitty fleece vests I never wear laugh

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What happens when you take a shot at a game animal that isn't from prone, ie. sitting, offhand, kneeling, etc? :P

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Its simple, I miss it then I can blame it on the gun *grin*.

Truth be told shots past 300 yards in Ontario are few and far between. I practice field positions to 330 yards casually throughout the off season. Most stuff round here is sub-100 yards offhand though. I mainly shoot gongs for fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What happens when you take a shot at a game animal that isn't from prone, ie. sitting, offhand, kneeling, etc? :P

The results will have nothing to do with a point of impact change from the different position and everything to do with the unsteady position.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, maybe for you. But some guys can shoot. grin

I was simply pointing out that it's a good idea to check POI consistency between whatever shooting positions you are likely to use when it's crunch time...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

In this test from last summer the bipod group actually hit a tad lower.

99% of my shooting is prone from a bipod with a rear bag. I feel I shoot as good from that position as I do from a bench with a machine rest.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I was simply pointing out that it's a good idea to check POI consistency between whatever shooting positions you are likely to use when it's crunch time...

Me too smile

From standing off hand, kneeling, and sitting unsupported, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between groups shot with a custom one-hole rifle and a Savage.... LOL!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a low blow to all the Savage lovers out there... laugh

A
agazain Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanx everyone!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my little 'test'.

2 100 yard targets- the 5 shot group is from laying in the snow with a bipod and rear bag, while the 3 shotter is using my backpack and the rear bag I use while hunting. The backpack group isn't great, but it's around .7" which I suppose is decent for a hunting position. The group fired from a bipod is a bit over .5" and was the first target shot with this load. I wouldn't say there was any significant change in POI, for this rifle at least. I also had my hand atop the scope while firing this way, and I will say the recoil came much straighter back and not fighting bipod "hop" was very nice.

[Linked Image]

I shot using this position.

[Linked Image]
And I fired one 600 yard group using this same setup.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That's a shame its groups open like that Tanner....I got a real nice Abolt 25-06 sitting here I'll trade you for it. I'll even include dies and the rust that's all over it laugh

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
WTF is that piece of leather hanging off your rifle?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some guy on here makes them... wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If a guy on here made Leopard print banana hammocks.... would you be wearin' one of those?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I already am....?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner
I already am....?

LOL... go 'gettem tiger?

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Great post, I will have to check my two primaries also. I sight mine in with a bipod at 300 yards. I carry it on the rifle while in the field unless I am in an area where a longer shot is not going to happen, usually in the brush. I have killed three elk in the last few years using the bipod and probably an equal amount without it. But I will run the test when the weather improves.

A
agazain Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Jacob Bynum's approach (Rifles Only Inc.) deals with set-up using bipods only. I did a thread on difference from bench at side and at back using his methods before getting the DVD. It's all in the set-up and I am looking forward to implementing his techniques.
https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop...ecision-rifle-volume-1-fundamentals.html

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7004115/Rifles_Only_Inc#Post7004115

Last edited by agazain; 12/30/12.
G
G
Any thing that alters the launching pad will change the poi particulary a weight on the fore stock.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,591
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.