-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't carry a gun on my person unless it's been in MY hand for at least 200 rounds without a FTF/FTF or even a small F$%K up...

I like to think my personal azz is worth at least that much and I know my wife's is...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep, I suggest you shoot a few of what you plan on shooting and call it good, whoever the manufacturer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Yeah but you're rich Doc. grin

Well, I'm NOT rich. Kinda pisses me off when people make that assumption just because I'm an MD.

Reality is that I have chosen to spend my spare dough on shooting and hunting instead of other discretionary items. I dont own a boat, RV, cabin, etc. I have a modest assemblage of firearms that ALL shoot reliably. I have an adequate supply of ammo and I shoot a lot.

I don't bitch that I "have to" shoot 200-300 rounds when I go to the range, I bitch that I don't have time to shoot more. But that's a choice, and a priority as well, so I shouldn't bitch about that, either!
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
A good gun done right, doesn't need to be "broken in"; that's an urban myth & a fallback for a poor gunsmith/product.

Verifying reliability (different from durability) does need to be done with either various or a specific ammo.

MM

BIG BS flag here. A friend of mine built most of the Bianchi Cup top finishers guns last year. When he build a 1911, he might put a 1000rds or more through it before the customer touches it. Don't make yourself look stupid and say he doesn't know what he is doing.

TAK,

The only BS here is what's running out of your mouth & between your ears & your ignorance & what you don't know shows with virtually every post.

You're a sort of smart guy, but obviously you are enamored by yourself & competition.

You don't say whether or not your famous gunsmith friend's guns run from the get go or not or whether he has to rework them but I can tell you for a fact that a "normal" tuned 1911 should,can & will do so.

If you don't know that, then there's not much more I can say to you.

Obviously, I've never built guns for famous Bianchi Cup shooters, but I've laid hands on enough of them to know.

Problem is, it's the ones like you that don't know, that like to run their mouths the most.

And please, don't give me any more BS about being an instructor.......doesn't have a thing to do with guns working or not.

MM

Could not have said it any better... Spot on

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
I wonder what a Glock needs for a break in period.
My Kahr P9 has had untold thousands of rounds through it without a single hitch from day one. Kahr is just conveying to you what should be common sense regarding the carry of any sidearm for self-defense.

PS I'm not counting the very rare accidental depression of the mag release under recoil, which is a shooter issue, not a mechanical reliability issue.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Good points all. Wouldn't it be nice to know in the first couple of magazines whether or not you had a keeper? Shooting 200 rounds to smooth out burrs and rough spots that shouldn't be seems like doing the manufacturers job for them.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, determining whether a gun is. "keeper" or not takes extensive evaluation, IMHO, and there's no way to do that without putting rounds thru the gun. Even within a "type" (eg, 1911's), I've found I need to shoot a given gun quite a bit to know if I'm going to keep it.

I've owned about 20 1911's over the years, but only have 3 keepers. Buying/selling/shooting lots of 1911's taught me a lot about what's important to me about autopistols that i couldn't have learned any other way.

It's not expensive, relatively speaking, to do that. Buying a gun, shooting the bejabbers out of it, then selling it so you can buy another gun means I can buy a new gun for less than $100, on average. Do that enough times over a few years and you can get a LOT of experience with a LOT of gun types for relatively low cost.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I just purchase a Kahr P380 and did the 200 round break in only because most micro 380 have feeding issues. I cleaned and polished the feed ramp after every 50 rounds. Plus I wanted to see what ammo fed the best. They also recommend you operate the slide 500 times prior to firing the gun. Between break in ammo and trying out defense loads, I dropped another $150. Thats a good down payment on the next gun!

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.