Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I used to shoot all the time with irons. 600 yards I'd have a majority of 22 shots inside a 6 inch circle at that range....

300 yards the groups were around 3 inches when I was tuned up....

Have killed deer to the far side of 500 with irons and the AR

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I personally dislike the ACOG. It has really short eye-relief and there is nothing I dislike more than that little junker recoiling off my glasses or helmet brim.

I have had much better experiences with their 1-4x24mm Accupoint and use them on several rifles.

As for a red dot I really like EOTech.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't care for all that the ACOG is, but if I wanted durability in glass, it would get my nod asap.

RE recoil off helmet/glasses, its something I'm so used to in competition with irons and a hooded rear sight, I don't even realize it happens anymore these days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Aimpoint rules for a combat optic.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
you said combat optic, so I guess you mean self defense. Most of which will be at shorter ranges. Self defense is usually not a shot at 100 meters plus, and then I want a 2-12 or such.

The ACOGs are fine for medium range I guess, but why would some models feature the tiny red dot on top of them if they were good at close range?

How many of us with black rifles really take some time to understand the ballistics of the standard 55 grain load? I see guys in a gun range that I frequent zeroing their guns 2 inches high at 25 yards, somehow confused I guess, but I don't say anything anymore, maybe one day natural selection will sort it all out. There are just so many people that rushed out to buy a gun and don't have the time or inclination to understand it. They don't seem to know how their iron sights work let alone an expensive optic and then they don't shoot much at all I guess.

In a moment of abject stupidity I purchased a 1-4 NF scope and I don't recommend it, its tough but I am used to hunting scopes. I had wanted a "do all" device and it's just not that useful to me, its a heavy jack of all trades, and master of none. The new VX-6 on the other hand gets good reviews everywhere, and from what I hear they did the IR correctly. I would get this if I wanted a scope of that power.

The Eotech in principle is the better optic but it is killed by its short battery life and then you read about more problems with it. I had one for a day, took it back...wait, hold on... just a second, don't start shooting yet, let me turn my sight on....

If I was buying an optic for a defense rifle it would be an aimpoint, it covers use in the dark with a light, use out to 200 meters plus, its on all the time, its used by the military.

Somehow we are all conditioned to believe that bigger, better, more complicated, and especially multi use is the thing to buy and then all the bells and whistles give us something to talk about and post pictures of, on these forums!!!

While it won't give you bragging rights, the KISS principle will keep you from assuming room temperature on a premature basis.

1 round thru the chest using an iron sighted rifle seems to be able to sort things out.

The husband quickly secured an AR15, which was inside the apartment, and leveled it at the suspect, telling him to leave.

When the suspect started menacingly approaching the husband and ignored several commands to stop, he fired one shot into the chest of the intruder.

The residents immediately called 911 and are cooperating with police.

The suspect was pronounced dead at an area hospital.

This post is so good it bears repeating. Aimpoints rule. Buy David's ML3. If you want magnification, get a magnifier. I have an Aimpoint magnifier in Larue fold over mount, but I got it free. A friend has the same setup with a Burris magnifier and he has beat the ever-livin' schit out of his work gun, no issues. Burris is now selling a knock-off of that Larue mount. If you are going to run a magnifier, get the Aimpoint with a 2moa dot. I'd get the model that uses a AA battery, I don't recall the model #.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
electronics. EMP. Availability of batteries in EOTWAWKI...

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will repeat because I believe it is that important:

Iron sights must be present on a defensive weapon and one must be able to shoot with them.

I like optics, I want an Aimpoint micro someday, I currently have an EOtech on top because it was free to me.

I have a variable optic for coyote calling but its only for hunting. It sits in a PEPR (cost was an issue), so I'll have to confirm zero when I put it back on--big deal, I'm hunting.

When I spent some time in the sand, the rifles we had had Aimpoints.

I have switched into a different unit now and they have a lot more money...I just qualified with an ACOG on my issued M4 last weekend, its easier to shoot with on a range but I hate the short eye relief and I don't think I'd like it at CQB ranges needing to do quick target aquisition shooting. I'd prefer an Aimpoint 2 moa all things considered, most of all due to the likely scenario I'd need to fight/defend myself. With my role in the Army I don't have any business taking long range shots (I was a line medic, now a medical student/future Army surgeon). I do take my skills to fight seriously, regardless if it's my primary role, I plan to be capable of instilling confidence in my unit's personnel that I can go down range with them as far as they need to to provide them the treatment they need without being a liability and maybe an extra asset given SHTF. And in the organization I'm in and plan to spend my career in, that is a real possibility.

For the same reasons I'd prefer to defend my home and family with the same Aimpoint.

I can't shoot irons like Rost but I can shoot irons at reasonable ranges very confidently and my rifle has them and always will.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by rost495
electronics. EMP. Availability of batteries in EOTWAWKI...

My ordering in importance, JMO:

Good irons, with night-sight inserts.

Good glass with very low and medium range power in a QDT mount, possible lit reticle, not a must. Test each one you are thinking of at your local shops and shows, most dealers have at least model one on display for finger touching.

Red dot of choice, EOTech, Aimpoint, ACOG Tri-power, with a bucket of batteries. Aimpoints tend to be darker/harder to look through in dim light because of the long tube in low light scenarios. EOTech have their faults, but I find them easier to use.

I'll use the red dot until the batteries, EMP, etc expire, then the scope until the tube fogs up, then the iron sights...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Back-up iron sights are a must. It's a lost art these days... since we have all these amazing sights and optics. Troy, Magpul, etc.

That being said...

CQB to close range
1. Aimpoint T1 or H1
2. Eotech 553 or any other standard EoTech
3. Aimpoint CompM4

Close to medium range
1. Any of the above with a 3 power magnifier
2. Trijicon ACOG 3-4 power version
3. Leupold CQT 1-4
4. Burris TAC 30 1-4 or their MTAC version

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the OP, if you have any astigmatism, look through a variety of the optics before you buy. I wanted an EoTech for a while, looked through it, and got nothing but fuzzy pixels.

The house gun has a Lasermax forward grip on it, and folding irons with night sights. I think it's unlikely I'd need anything else out to 100 yards.

I do like the Loopy Prismatic, which will work with or without batteries. I may consider an ACOG or Aimpoint, too. I have a VX-R on one of the AR-10's. The AK has a 1-4 Mark AR on it. Everything else has some sort of higher ppower scope on it. Not likely to shoot a .308 inside the house, I hope grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Under $1000.00

For this amount of money you could get a 1.1X4 a pre-owned S&B. That is a hell of a close quarters combat scope

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a Leupold 2.5x LW in an LT mount w BUIS? Coulda raised Hell with that setup @ Lexington, Concord AND King's Mountain.

.300 WM prolly be better past 200 yards on tyrants & sich....

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Leopold CQ Combat or anything with Trijicon written on the side of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I used to shoot all the time with irons. 600 yards I'd have a majority of 22 shots inside a 6 inch circle at that range....

22 shot 6" group @ 600 yards with irons......

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
He said the majority of the 22 shots were inside a 6" circle.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
He said the majority of the 22 shots were inside a 6" circle. Not a .22

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I'd not doubt him.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
Why would anyone choose that Prismatic over a T1/H1?

Those shooters with pronounced astigmatism should find the Prismatic more user friendly.

Last edited by Captain; 04/28/13.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
One thing to remember is that the 4x ACOG actually has a wider field of view than their lower powered models. I got the original TA01 since I like the more precise aiming point of standard crosshairs.
Does anyone make a mount for it that extends it back so that a BUIS fits under it? The standard Trijicon mount doesn't really allow room because of the short eye relief.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by tedthorn

22 shot 6" group @ 600 yards with irons......
You've obviously never seen what a Master or High Master High Power Rifle shooter is capable of. I was a lowly Expert in a former life and shot over 190 with several X's at 600yds. The 10 ring in 12inches and the X is six inches. Rost can do it.

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/28/13.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,078
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.