Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I have been using Butch's Bore Shine for a while now and have been well satisfied. Lately Montana Extreme has been getting a lot of good reviews. Your opinion of one over the other? Your pick and why?

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have been using Butch's Bore Shine for a while now and have been well satisfied. Lately Montana Extreme has been getting a lot of good reviews. Your opinion of one over the other? Your pick and why?

How bout neither and get Boretech elminator? I have used the other 2 and will not ever again one does not clean well enough BBS and the ME smells to high heaven . I have used every single product made by Sharpshootr ie the Wipeout line and Boretech trumps it every time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is no comparison. BB Shine does a horrible job of removing copper and Eliminator is a bit better. Montana works but it stinks to high heaven and is labor intensice. You should try Wipeout Bore Foam.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get wipeout and forget about cleaning products ever again. Yeah

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by woodson

Not quite , the product has been eclipsed by boretech eliminator. I don[t use brass brushes or anything of the sort. I have used wipeout,patchout,accelerator since these products came out. None of them touch boretech eliminator. I have not had to try their copper remover yet.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting, couldn't imagine anything better. Ill give that a go next time I run out of wipeout.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I haven't used all the products mentioned; this is just a comment on Butches: I have found quite a difference in effectiveness from one bottle to the next. My first bottle was OK, 2nd worthless for copper removal, 3rd works very well.

Dale

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think Butch's works fine for a few patches down the bore when cleaning at the range etc. For real cleaning I use Wipe-Out, but the Boretech has peaked my interest.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
FWIW I've also found BT Eliminator works great.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How strong is Boretech? Like Sweets or c-10, or less so. I've used Butch's for a long time. I'd give Boretech a look if it isn't too caustic. mtmuley

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wipe Out for bad copper fouling, Eliminator for everything else.

Sweets smells so bad and from what I've heard, not to be left in a long time. Butch's does OK, smells less than Sweets.

To me, Eliminator is the least noxious of the regular cleaners and Wipe Out, the "nuclear option" for a big job.

Since treating with Dyna Bore Coat, I don't use Wipe Out that much, a few Eliminator soaks usually does the trick.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I got suckered into trying that stuff about two years ago.. Once - was quite enough.. It did NUTHIN'....

Until now I'd not heard of Boretech..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by gunswizard

How bout neither and get Boretech elminator? I have used the other 2 and will not ever again one does not clean well enough BBS and the ME smells to high heaven . I have used every single product made by Sharpshootr ie the Wipeout line and Boretech trumps it every time.

This ^^^^^^

I've used nothing but BTE for the last several years and a nylon brush. I [bleep] canned the brass brushes at the same time. A little JB in the throats every time as well.

BTE is water soluble and no smell to stink up the joint.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
I got suckered into trying that stuff about two years ago.. Once - was quite enough.. It did NUTHIN'....

Until now I'd not heard of Boretech..

I hardly ever use Wipe Out. But, for gross copper fouling, it's very good. They have an accelerator that can be applied before the Wipe Out. I plug the chamber with a big patch or a rag, which keeps the stuff from getting everywhere. The secret is leaving it in the bore for a while.

Eliminator is a good product. I think it was Precision Shooter Magazine or similar publication that did a piece on bore cleaners. IIRC, Eliminator came out on top for copper fouling. It's not as smelly or nasty as some of the others.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bore tech eliminator is the best bore solvent I've ever used. Almost no smell and works quickly. I have a storage bin full of cleaners and lubes so I've tried most. I haven't used Butchs for years. It's highly toxic with nitrobenzene and doesn't clean copper as well as others. You will not be disappointed with Boretech Eliminator. I've not used their dedicated copper cleaner since the standard cleaner brings out blue/green patches almost instantly. No smell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm always looking for something to improve the cleaning job. I have been using Montana Extreme and Wipeout for the last year or two. I'll have to give BTE a try.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just don't see how that is possible. Wipeout Foam COMPLETELY removes the copper and fouling. Sure rough bores need more attention but I've tried everything and while Montana Products, Sweets & Barnes' ammonia based solvents work, they require a hell of a lot of elbow grease.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lastround
I'm always looking for something to improve the cleaning job. I have been using Montana Extreme and Wipeout for the last year or two. I'll have to give BTE a try.

You'll be SORELY disappointed...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Not possible, unless your barrel was clean already. Even after about an hour you can stick a qtip in the muzzle and it will turn blue. Were you letting it soak? I usually leave it overnight, then give it a zip with the boresnake.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Not possible, unless your barrel was clean already. Even after about an hour you can stick a qtip in the muzzle and it will turn blue. Were you letting it soak? I usually leave it overnight, then give it a zip with the boresnake.

IMHO, letting it soak long enough is the secret. I hardly ever use the Accelerator pre Wipe Out application. I've heard that you don't want to leave that stuff in over night. An over night Wipe Out soaking, no problem.

DF

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 42 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,015
Posts18,520,703
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.