Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I mix and match depending on where I'll be hunting (terrain, distance), what I'll be hunting, and more importantly, what I'll be hunting with.

Some of my favorite bullets accuracy wise are the Prvi 9,3mm 285 grain RN.

GB1

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I wrote but not "butt". Pay attention dammit!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
I wrote but not "butt". Pay attention dammit!!!!

Hey JB said up the "bunghole", what was I to think??? grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by battue
You are "Guaranteed" your shot is going to be 100yards and under on Whitetails.

I've seen the plan Jane Round Nose bullets often shoot amazingly well at 100 and they have an excellent track record for that kind of work. Yet the majority don't use them.

Why?

Just about the only bullet I shoot are all round nose. Simply put I like old stuff!!!

And MILF's

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/06/13.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Round nosed bullets don't suddenly drop from the air at a certain distance while their spitzer siblings fly on, laughing in haughty superiority grin With a RN bullet you just need to be better at estimating the range and figuring, out and then compensating for, the bullet drop.

WOW , SHAZAM !

the best I can say is NOTHING at all. smirk crazy

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Just about the only bullet I shoot are all round nose. Simply put I like old stuff!!!

And MILF's

At your age MILFs beat Cougars.

There is a smily face there. You just don't see it.

Last edited by battue; 09/06/13.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'll be loading/shooting some Rem 170gr RNCL in my .308Win this fall. If I didn't handload, I would use Remington's 180gr RNCL load. Even against a high BC 168gr HPBT-Match bullet, given the same starting speed (and same 200yd zero), the difference is only about 3-3.5" less drop @ 300yd. Velocity and energy is far behind, but still way more than adequate, with right at 1000ft lb!!!

Last edited by John_in_MS; 09/06/13.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Every time!!!!!. wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Believe me I know what you mean. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot the 168ttsx because the guy that owned the rifle before me worked up loads with 165NP and 168tsx. The ttsx shoot just as well as the tsx so why not use the tipped ones? I have a box of nosler partitions that I need to load up since I just found a brick of CCI250's which is what the previous owner used in his loads. I also was able to snag the correct powder as well. smile I just need to get around to loading some up.

I don't know how you guys with a ton of different calibers do it, I can barely keep up with loading for my 2 rifles.

Never tried any RN bullets, not yet anyways.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
By in large the RN bullets for a given caliber are typically at the top end in weight. Top end bullets me less velocity and I truly believe that speed kills for deer sized critters.

I'll take a 62gr TSX over a 117, 175, 180, 220, 250 grain RN.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, speed kills. I am a believer on that too.

I also have always since I began been of the opinion that if I can make my load more accurate, the accuracy beyond the absolute minimum necessary to kill decently is insurance room for me to make a mistake in. Likewise, that flat trajectory is insurance room for me to make a mistake in range estimation.

Add those things to a bullet that is moving fast and kills better than a slow moving RN, and I feel like I have done the best I can to make it all come out the way I want when I pull the trigger.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Out to around 300 yards, the RN is not giving away anything to a spritzer.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Dat reminds me Scott, with a 1 in 8 twist tube inbound, I am presuming I can shoot the 62 TSX in a .223AI with no mag mods. Correct?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MILES58
Yeah, speed kills. I am a believer on that too.

I also have always since I began been of the opinion that if I can make my load more accurate, the accuracy beyond the absolute minimum necessary to kill decently is insurance room for me to make a mistake in. Likewise, that flat trajectory is insurance room for me to make a mistake in range estimation.

Add those things to a bullet that is moving fast and kills better than a slow moving RN, and I feel like I have done the best I can to make it all come out the way I want when I pull the trigger.

The reason 100 yards and under was the parameter. While speed doesn't hurt, absolute minimum accuracy-and RNs can be extremely accurate at that range-and flat trajectory are not demanding requirements.

The only way one can see the difference in trajectory between a RN and Spitzer at 100 is on a line graph and even then it may be hard.

Last edited by battue; 09/07/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sub-100yds 'garanteed' and I might just be using my 12ga semi-auto slugger. Hasn't not worked yet and well at that. For me using it, they quit running at all when I started shooting for some bone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Dat reminds me Scott, with a 1 in 8 twist tube inbound, I am presuming I can shoot the 62 TSX in a .223AI with no mag mods. Correct?

Not Scott, but they work fine in my Kimber with no mag mods.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This stuff is always funnier than [bleep].

Now I personally have zero interest in purposely hamstringing a given cartridge's relative abilities,by stoking it with the schittiest boolit possible...though others are seemingly hip on the notion. Suplized noone mentioned sectional density and attempted to swoon it too,as it frosts fluff nicely and seemingly soothes them who shoot the least.(grin)

The RN has ZERO advantage,at any range and if that interest folks,please have at it. If concessions horn folks up,the RN is far and away the best route to fly.(grin) Perhaps "Brush Busting" will also get mentioned?!? Laffin'!

Points awarded,for opting a fast twist .224" spout and paying zero attention to it's throat geometry and disregarding the sanctity of the latitude associated said platform's relative COAL versatility.

Can see where this is gonna get GOOD....as I very much enjoy the humor associated with folks making easy schit difficult(grin)

Ooops...a 'gwedendum,for hurt feelers.(grin)

Point was/is,that in any build blueprint,one has total control of the throat geometry and that is music to the ears of the astute. That given,conjoined with finite control over COAL magbox latitude as per this scenario,is as sweet as things get. To purposely toss such advantages aside,is heavy concession and a curious route of travel.

Now will a 62TSX or 62TTSX's ogive ride below casemouths,in say a worst case scenario in a Krunchenticker's trite P-Mag confines?!? Nope.

Will a 50V-Max,62TSX and 75A-Max require different COAL's,to be in like relationship of a given throat's lands? Yep. Will a 2.450" 75A-Max 1-8" 223AI kiss,afford lotsa latitude as per relative projectile versatility and still allow repeater feed/function ala a massaged 700's box? Re-yep. Do such benefits,hamstring the 50 cited,in it's ability to cajole a kiss? Nope.

A guy can have his cake and eat it too and if he ain't ringin' them bells on a build...he assuredly ain't payin' much in the way of attention.(grin)

Brightside bein',there ain't no downside. Here Endeth The Sermon...thank me later.

Hint.

Off to form cases in The Dick Rifle.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, they can be just as accurate. Yeah, if, and only if, the range cannot exceed say 100 yards so that optical effects cannot possible turn that into a lot more things can work OK. But it is not the least uncommon for heavy RN bullets to go through lungs and leave enough lung intact for a deer to go a hell of a ways. I have seen literally a couple hundred deer killed with heavy RN bullets out of 30-30s, 30-06s 32 Specials, 35 Remingtons, 30-40 Krags, and the rest of the common 50s/60s rounds. I was one of the youngest of the deer hunters then, and got to be "dog" when they needed chasing down.

Thanks, but I will take speed and shredded lungs every time. They might start inside 100 yards, but dragging one out of a couple hundred yards of grass swamp or more will make a person a believer in faster dead is better dead.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Hmmmm, I would have to perhaps agree when thinking back to what often went on back when RNs were more commonly used.

Last edited by battue; 09/07/13.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,546
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.