Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by battue
You are "Guaranteed" your shot is going to be 100yards and under on Whitetails.

I've seen the plan Jane Round Nose bullets often shoot amazingly well at 100 and they have an excellent track record for that kind of work. Yet the majority don't use them.

Why?

Great question considering that most New England deer are shot at closer ranges and in the woods as opposed to more open places.

Your example above is why I have been using the 154 Hornady RN in my Montana 7-08 which is my primary still hunting rifle.

Maybe it's the combination of a slower velocity and Interlock construction, but this bullet really puts the hurt on deer....and my rifle really likes them!

Then again, I mainly hunt with the 154's or a Partition of sorts.

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Shot with a 35 Remington, no doubt round nose bullets too. This is my dad standing in front of the bear We think it was in 1938.[Linked Image]

Last edited by ihookem; 09/09/13.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just sayin' .......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I've seen the plan Jane Round Nose bullets often shoot amazingly well at 100 and they have an excellent track record for that kind of work. Yet the majority don't use them.

Why?

Because Nosler still makes partitions.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The partition is just one of many better bullets that pushed RNs off the page, and many of todays next best thangs are nipping at it.

I don't think the old RNs are the best there ever was. Nor do I lament all that much about them dying out. Nothing more than sometimes going back has it attractions.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I much prefer close than far. The closer the better

Sorry, I knew I missed/forgot something and just now found it.

I really do not have a preference, close OR far, BOTH are fun to me. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed last season, hunting ON the ground, NO STANDS, slipping around, spot/stalk, & jump shooting.

I also enjoy 'reaching out and touching' one at long range. For me that's @ 400 yds.

I really do LIKE close and far.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall
I THOROUGHLY enjoyed last season, hunting ON the ground, NO STANDS, slipping around, spot/stalk, & jump shooting.

Best be careful. It starts out that way. Next thing you know its old Model 70s, then Savage 99s, then the old time cartridges, then MLs, followed by a compound, then traditional, carbon arrows move onto hand made wooden ones. Finally one day you catch yourself half naked out in the wood chipping flint while keeping an eye out for the perfect stick. grin

Last edited by battue; 09/10/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For years a pard and I did that stuff on an annual doe hunt. One year its lever guns, one year single shots, one year black powder cartridge....and on and on.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Within a 100 yards you could load the bullet backwards and it would do fine. Nothing against round nose bullets as I use/used them myself. The benefit in a round nose ususally has to do with performance on game much larger than deer or profile requirements for tubular magazines. If you are shooting a rifle that doesn't necessitate the use of them for safety they offer nothing more than nastalgic looks unless you are loading the DG rounds that are designed for Elephant and alike. That however, is enough for some. I have them, use them and have good luck with them as 90% of my shots on game are within 100 yards. At that distance there is no real advantage or disadvantage. On deer I use left over 150 gr RN that I had for a 30-30 and one of my favorite bear loads is a 30 cal 220 gr. Nothing that couldn't be replaced by a 150 SP or a 200 gr partition though. At the ranges I shoot/hunt it's a toss up and doesn't matter. I think they look cool and perform well IME. Personal opinion. Not to mention when you find them they are usually a bit cheaper than all the other fancy, plastic pointed counter parts. Deer don't take fancy bullets to be put in the freezer.

Last edited by brinky72; 09/10/13.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Just sayin' .......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hey Guys, don't let Cub fool ya.

Those Canadian coins are American DOLLAR size! laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
unfortunately one of those Canadian dimes is damn near worth a US Dollar.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't think about it much, I have been using 220 gr RN in my .06 longer than a lot of posters on here have been alive.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I must be a dinosaur because I've killed far more deer with round/flat nosed bullets than pointy ones. Course I've used the old .30-30 more than anything else over the years too. No partition or any other modern, super whiz-bang bullet would have killed any of those deer any better than the old round noses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Hey Guys, don't let Cub fool ya.

Those Canadian coins are American DOLLAR size! laugh laugh

I'm outed! grin

I used to own that 358NM, but sold it to a young gun nut that I work with. It may be coming back to me on a trade and I see that Hornady is still offering those 250gr RNs. Bonus! smile

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by CLB

Why?

Great question considering that most New England deer are shot at closer ranges and in the woods as opposed to more open places.

Your example above is why I have been using the 154 Hornady RN in my Montana 7-08 which is my primary still hunting rifle.

Maybe it's the combination of a slower velocity and Interlock construction, but this bullet really puts the hurt on deer....and my rifle really likes them!

Then again, I mainly hunt with the 154's or a Partition of sorts.

I bought 500 of the Hornady RN's last year in bulk. Going to start with those in the Ruger 7x57.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've looked around on here for 8 or 9 years now and thought I'd finally sign up. I thought this would be a likely spot for a first post, so, howdy.
I'd read for years how well 175 Hornady RN's did out of a 7x57, so a couple years ago, I loaded a batch up for an Oklahoma hog hunt. I shot a little piggy at about 25 feet, it looked like you blew a coffee cup through her going and coming. Not a real breadth of experience with RN's, but I was impressed. But I didn't want to give up "spritzers".
We do a bit of thickett to thickett hunting and you can walk out of the woods into a wide open field, so, while the difference may be nit picking, I wanted pointy bullets too.
I dumped the same 49grn. of RL22 under those and a batch of 175 GameKings. At 100 (yards, this time) they pretty well fall into the same group out of my little 1A Ruger. Both get right on 2500 over the chrony.
Yes, my buds' do get annoyed when I repeatedly whack the 300 yard gong with the old blue nosed Hornadys. They are supposed to stop and fall harmlessly to the ground at about 125.
I figger if I ever do get after anything big enough to justify them, I'll dump the same load under 175 partitions.

Now if I can just kill something.....
Fall is on the way!!!

For the record, I tend to agree with Ingwe as to the absolute perfection of the 7x57! laugh

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ahh, you guys are all wet. I used 'spritzers' religiously for decades- all makes and sizes and had 'nary a care. Then I switched over to mainly RN's and life was still good. Recently, I discovered I was fooling myself all those years when I discovered the joys of flat nosed bullets. I have attained Nirvana! (I'm almost afraid to try hollow points for fear of further clouding the issue.)

Since I only keep proven bullets on my bench, I think I'll close my eyes this year and pick one at random and go forth and whack something.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They work and have worked. They have a cool nostalgic look IMHO. For the majority of hunting that is done at the ranges it's done at their really isn't a pinch of difference if you ask the animal hanging from the meat pole. Target shooting at extended ranges is another story which I don't really care to read. Been there done that I'm over it and could care less. Did I mention RN's are a lot cheaper when you find them versus their pretty colored, plastic, pointy nosed counter parts.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The partition is just one of many better bullets that pushed RNs off the page, and many of todays next best thangs are nipping at it.

I don't think the old RNs are the best there ever was. Nor do I lament all that much about them dying out. Nothing more than sometimes going back has it attractions.

I don't like most cup and cores, but I do like the Hornady RN's and the historic performance of Partitions can't be questioned. They have been getting it done every year since 1948....and are as universal a hunting bullet as it get's!

With us having killed several deer now with the 154's out of 7-08's, all I can say is that the bullet performance has been ridiculous. We are yet to catch one and "tracking" has been a 20 yard affair routinely (or less).

I have been trying to convince myself to try other bullets like TTSX, Amax, etc but then I get a cup of coffee and realize that evolution has not changed deer anatomy in the past 100 years and deer will be as easy to kill over the next 100 years.

Only in Texas do the deer have kevlar ribs which allow bullets from a .270 to bounce off....

My buddy and I have laid in a supply of Partitions in various weights and Hornady 154 RN that will last us a lifetime of deer and bear hunting in the Northeast woods. This given we are yet to kill a deer past 200 yards here.

And in my general experience over the years, any rifle that can't shoot Partitions and round nosers is pretty sick rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Why?

cause them red pointy boolets is purty

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,546
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.