Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
You simply build ammo in accords to kiss the shortest throat. No thang and the only good move you've got. I segregate ammo for rifles,by different color,shape or style of ammo box and good notes on same. Controlling seating depth,is the single greatest attribute of Reloading. Hint.

Typically,the front of the box is a generality and their tops are particulars,with load notes affixed internally on the underside of the lid. Cain't like stickers there and use markers expressly.

Do whatever it takes,so your schit makes sense to you.

[Linked Image]

Now as to follower drag,that is no thang. As per always,I'd suggest the "Start At The [bleep] Start" Thread and take notes,then apply same. It well covers most thangs,pertaining to F/F(feed/function).

Your follower is jacked,because you [bleep] sumptin' up.(grin)

After getting a tight fitting magbox married balls deep to the receiver,you always wanna drift your follower through it's internals(upside down spring dangle) and ascertain it flies freely. If/when adjusting poorly oriented OEM magbox feed rails,it is possible to getcha an amidship magbox roadblock,that will impede the follower's travel. I simply take a chunka wedge,set it inside the box and tap lightly,so as to allow more width through the guts...less changing feed rail geometry. 'Bout 3 seconds of "work".

Not all followers is equal and if it ain't milled,it's [bleep] junk. Follower ride height and spring geometry is easily discerned atta glance and if your follower isn't fully kissing parallel on the receiver's underside,when the box has no ammo...you's got f/f issues.

Simply bend the spring so schit is riding square,prior to install and confirm that geometry ain't skewed,after install.

Hit that Thread and thank me later.

Hey...where did all the "Precision" Land Leapers go?!!?

Laffin'!

I am still here, amigo. Glad to see that you are back posting. Your experience and knowledge here are missed when you cannot or do not post much. I explain my views differently than you do, but few have shot as much as you have and your barrel break in video is THE best vid of riflery I have ever seen!

My experience with Barnes and other big game bullets is usually with rifles that have some freebore in them and that likely colors my results more toward 'precision land leaping' <G>

Although, I have had good luck seating them deep and pushing them hard in a couple of rifles who did not have much freebore. Next gun that I load for that is not my own, I will try your method first VS my old favorite and see what results I get.

Getting a new PacNor tube on my FN sporting Mauser so can try both extremes on it when done. Being a 257WBY, it will have some freebore in the throat.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boxer

[Linked Image]

Love the captions on some of the boxes:

"Chink blaster"

"Chub"

"Pinky"

Boxer, 223 or 243, hell even 22-250? Remington or Montana? AI or not

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good point setting up both rifles for the shorter throat.

Started from scratch, box was flush and snug in the corners, seam was closed and bottom of the box level at the gap. A few jumped the rails yesterday so I wedged the front third of the box out a little.

Reassembled the parts and pulled the bolt, the bolt head pulled the follower to the rear and down. It felt like a lot of compression on the spring so I squeezed two of three bends and tried again, the follower stayed forward in the box when I pulled the bolt back.

I worked the spring a bit to keep the follower level and loaded four dummies, fed all slick. I repeated and twenty fed, fast or slow without a failure.

Not ten minutes of time starting at the start, thanks.

Dave

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
safari',

I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess.

Hint.(grin)

George',

I shoot a smidge.

The only reason I'd stay SAAMI in any of the chamberings cited,is when driving same...in a Krunchenticker.

Do it get better than a 223AI,22-250AI or 243AI in a Montucky?

Nope.

RDW,

I hear good thangs,in regards to your latest approach.(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boxer,

My conundrum lies in Lapua making brass for all three. Eenie meenie miney moe is always a valid decision making process cool

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For an all day/every day...day in/day out Utility Rifle...I want a fast twist 223AI,if only because I've got 'em all(223 and 223A,22-250 and 22-250AI,243 and 243AI),in more than one twist rate.

The Montana 223AI steals the show and has sold a [bleep] load of rifles,in rather short order.(grin)

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why the 223AI over the 243AI as a "utility" rifle? I would have though it'd be the other way around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cheap cheap cheap

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Why the 223AI over the 243AI as a "utility" rifle? I would have though it'd be the other way around.

It can be if you want it to be.....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
RDW

Although there are no hard set rules for determining a rifles preferred OAL other then to experiment, I found John's (AussieGunWriters) method works for me.

Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by Neutral88
How do you guys work up a COL, to get your bullet kissing the lands.... Thanks

Kissing the lands will not guarantee accuracy.
OAL should be set by first determining the shape of the groups. The initial OAL does not matter. If the group is a large equilateral triangle, seat out further in 1/4 turn increments. If the group puts 2 together and the 3rd out there, seat deeper in the reverse method.

The only obstacle to this method is where an internal magazine dimension prohibits increasing OAL for scenario one.

John

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'Deer,

Mild manners,mild recoil,mild report,mild powder appetite,meaningful BC's at meaningful speed,shorter barrel length,yada,yada,yada...coupled with eerie Precision.

I love the 223AI wayyyyyyyyyy past 1K.

George,

I read in F&S...that it do indeed offer alotta bang for the buck.

Pun be intended too.(grin)

16',

While I know lotsa guys who have 223's,223AI's,22-250's,22-250AI's,243's and 243AI's all...I do not know anyone who drives the 243AI as a mainstay Utility Rifle,if only for conversation.

That being said,I fling more 105's than any of 'em,though I fling far more 75's too.(grin)

'Yen,

That's right up there,with some of the dumbest [bleep] [bleep] I've ever read.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Running leap stole the show and holes don't lie. Utility 260.....
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,810
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.