Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SSB
Padre, here is a spot of data that gets into things like effective case capacity and modern pressure. Note it is compiled with a 20" barrel. Proceed with the usual caution....

http://www.realguns.com/loads/7x57mmmauser.htm.

There we go. Thanks!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
By the way, I know Elk has a CZ 7x57. Anyone shoot a Zasty in that caliber?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
To the OP:

There's not that much difference between the two so far as external ballistics. I like the 7mm-08 a lot, but one strike against it for me is that the powders that made it run fastest for me required pretty heavily compressed loads that were a pain to work with. 7x57 ... not so much.

There are quite a few newer powders available like RL17 that didn't exist back then so the situation may have changed some.

I would make the choice between the two based on whether I wanted a long action or a short action. When I want more velocity, I do not look at small incremental gains, I grab for something with a LARGE increase, 200-300 fps or more with the same bullet weight.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by RevMike
I keep reading where, when handloaded with the same bullet and components, the 7x57 will outperform the 7-08. Assuming a modern rifle (M70, M700, M77, MRC1999, etc.) and a 140-150 gr. bullet, identical barrel lengths, etc., what has been y'all's experience? Or all-y'all's if you're from the Deep South?

I'm just curious since even some of the "modern rifle" data I've seen for the 7x57 doesn't seem to be able to touch the 7-08.

The 7x57 has the disadvantage of being the chambering for old rifles which by modern standard now have questionable metallurgy. So loading data for the 7x57 is geared toward Model 1893 Mausers and equally ancient Remington Rolling Block rifles. This old cartridge has been used on everything from humans to Elephants. It's respected for, arguably, being the original modern smokeless hunting cartridge.
However if you want better factory ballistics by all means go buy a 7mm-08

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yes,it's the same as their printed manual.

Yep, that's good. Thanks. I'll print some out and make some comparisons. Tough to do on this phone.

Elk:

I printed both 7x57 and 7-08 load data, 140-175 gr loads, and the 7x57 is loaded consistently and considerably slower than the 7-08. So it looks like Nosler is loading them down as well.

Mike
Well yeah,the 7/08 data uses a 26" barrel,while the 7x57 data uses a 22" barrel. Subtract 4" from the 7/08 barrel and 25 fps per inch. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Sat in a stand and watched one raccoon and five turkey eat every kernel of corn that was scattered for pigs. The "wary Osceola turkey" my foot. I laugh every time I read an outdoor writer say that. I wasn't wearing a lick of camo, and I still could have killed these with a BB gun. Needless to say I didn't get to lob an obsolete round at a pig.

So I'll try again tomorrow.

Sat in a different stand this evening. About 5:15 eight or nine little pigs came in, all in about the 40 pound range. I picked a nice little sow and put a standard 139 grain Prvi just low and behind the ear. The pigs scattered but her brother figured that without his sister there'd be more corn for him. I did the same thing for him that I did for his sister. Those little buggers are going to eat just fine.

Oh, and that obsolete old cartridge did just fine as well.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes,it's the same as their printed manual.

Yep, that's good. Thanks. I'll print some out and make some comparisons. Tough to do on this phone.

Elk:

I printed both 7x57 and 7-08 load data, 140-175 gr loads, and the 7x57 is loaded consistently and considerably slower than the 7-08. So it looks like Nosler is loading them down as well.

Mike
Well yeah,the 7/08 data uses a 26" barrel,while the 7x57 data uses a 22" barrel. Subtract 4" from the 7/08 barrel and 25 fps per inch. smile

Good point. I didn't notice that.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

I have two 7x57s and am thinking about a third. Not that this won't start an argument, but I have a .260 for anything I'd need a 7-08 for.

Ingwe and Elk, break out the popcorn!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Two 7mm Mauser and you're thinking about a third,well that means I'll be one 7mm Mauser behind you. frown

Pretty sure Ingwe will be along here soon and suggest I re-barrel one of my .270's to a .275 Rigby. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
7x57 is a Commie cartridge. wink

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

I have two 7x57s and am thinking about a third. Not that this won't start an argument, but I have a .260 for anything I'd need a 7-08 for.

Ingwe and Elk, break out the popcorn!

I own a Model 70 PF featherweight in 7x57. I won't trade it for a 7mm-08 because I like what I have. And it shoots 140 grain and 175 grain bullets equally well. Can't say that about a short action 7mm-08 !

Last edited by idahoguy101; 02/06/14.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Two 7mm Mauser and you're thinking about a third,well that means I'll be one 7mm Mauser behind you. frown

Pretty sure Ingwe will be along here soon and suggest I re-barrel one of my .270's to a .275 Rigby. smile

I'll bet we'd get more respect if we called it a .275 Rigby. smile

Yeah, I'm thinking my third might be a Zasty. I'll put a Burris Euro Illuminated on it with a German 4 reticle. I'll make it a dedicated boar gun. Of course, since about the only thing I hunt is boar, they're all more or less dedicated boar guns.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you own a .270, you get no respect�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
So I am the Rodney Dangerfield of the 24hcf. GRINS

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Just counted them: 10 little piggies.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You live in the Southern Hemisphere?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whoever suggested a -08 for a short action, x57 for a medium length and .280 for a long action was spot on IMHO.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You live in the Southern Hemisphere?

No, why?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you own a .270, you get no respect�.

Nay...I really like the 270 Winchester! But the 7x57 was it's inspiration. Honestly the 270 is the practical choice over owning a 7x57. But I'm a rifle loony. So being practical isn't any issue for me.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 02/06/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Inggway pronounced the 7x57 gtg in 1893. It still applies even after all these years.

Oh and my M70 FWT was wrestled out of my hands by the Mrs. Had two SC built rods. Dad has one and she has the other. They have no shame.

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 63 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,791
Posts18,516,061
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.