Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 120 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 119 120
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I took my dog out too, we're up .in the mtns. The trail was steep in places, icy the whole way. Got up to about 9500 and turned back at the point where it got steep enough that I knew I'd be busting my butt on the way down if I kept going. The dog wasn't even having fun, snow's so deep he couldn't go off-trail.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Warmup:
3 mins of kettlebell work (swings, snatches, etc)- I used 1 35# KB.

Workout:
For time and max load
Snatch - 5 reps - 115#
Russian KB swings - 30 reps - 35#
Goblet Squats - 31 reps - 35#
KB Clean & Jerk - 32reps - 35#
Clean & Jerk - 5 reps - 135#
6:34

I was very happy with my time, but would like to increase the weight on the snatches and C&Js. The 3 middle KB exercises were to be done unbroken and all were done with 2 35# KBs. I didn't quite get that, but I did complete the swings and goblet squats unbroken and only set the KBs for about 5 sec between exercises. The KB clean & jerks I made set them down at 10, 17, 23, and 27. I was quite winded by then and my grip was shot.

Slowly but surely things are getting better.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did cardio today, 35 minutes of intervals on the stair machine, 5 minute cool-down on the treadmill, some stretching, then 20 minuts of sprints, outdoors on artificial turf, it was sunny and 60!! Forward, backward, cariocas, and sometimes switching from one to the other mid-way. Plus some shuttle runs. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.

if nothing else, this thread has made me switch some things up and not fall into a rut with the routines, which is easy to do. Thanks for that, Penguin1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Chest and arms weight circuit. And guess what? Concept2!!!! Imagine that. grin

Actually, I'm looking forward to some of that 60 stuff when it will be more conducive to going outside. Not all that bad around here temp wise, but the mud is everywhere when you get off pavement Toby brings more than I like back with him.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by battue
Not all that bad around here temp wise, but the mud is everywhere when you get off pavement Toby brings more than I like back with him.

I HATE PA winters! Go 4-500 miles north or south and you pretty much know what to expect. Not there though. I've seen ice two inches thick on the sidewalks there.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pittsburgh has some strange weather compared to the rest of the State. Something to do with the surrounding mountain ranges.

East and West-and not all that far-of us often get pounded with snow and we only get a couple inches.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Warmup:
Relay races with animal movements (ie bear crawls, crab walks, etc)

Skill:
Worked on chest to bar pullups

Workout:
AMRAP in 17 mins
Chest to bar pullups - 5 reps
Burpees - 10 reps
Squats - 15 reps
Jumping Jack Burpees - 20 Reps
Situps - 25 Reps

I completed 2+ rounds. Burpees absolutely suck the life out of me. I wasn't quite able to get my chest to the bar, even with a band, on the pullups, but I'm getting closer. Good workout, but I can see that I have LOTS to work on. I am able to recover much faster/better now after a workout, which is nice as my gas tank's not all that impressive. My gut is though! laugh

PS- I absolutely, teetotally hate phoucing burpees of any type.

Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Had another good week. Sprinkled a bit of hill training into the mix this week and my achilles let me know about it, but no damage just the normal strain of not doing it for a while.

Workouts: 3 runs for 11 miles, 1 elliptical session, 1 swimming session, and several pullup sets over the week
Diet: 5.0 of 7.0 clean eating days

Could stand to clean up the diet a bit more. But all in all a good week. Getting closer to the hills/threshold/long run cycle I am shooting for. Swimming is still rough around the edges. Pullups are progressing nicely.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pointer
I am a big CrossFit fan. I have been doing it for nearly four years. It is not about the amount of weight. The group environment is very motivating and competitive. That is great and not so great. The quality of coaching varies as does the willingness of men to listen. Have you noticed that women bring less ego to the workouts? They keep progressing but many men get in their own way. Those men get injured because they never get the foundation movements.

The order is ... FORM mastered first, then increase intensity ( number of movements in a given time ) and last increase load ( the amount of weight ) . Guys just about always want to load up before they have mastered the movements. CF is comprised of many very technical and difficult movements. Get those dialed in first. Best to you.

Last edited by RinB; 02/25/14.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RinB- Thanks for the comments and perspective. I lightly dabbled with Crossfit on my own for a few years and then a bit more with a group at the Y for the past year. It's only been since the beginning of the year that I joined an actual Crossfit gym. That said, I agree with all you posted. I will keep your advice/precautions in mind as I could easily "get in my own way".

Have you found that for some movements that improved form is directly correlated to immediate improvement in intensity/load? Referring to Monday's workout, I do think if I could get better form for snatch/clean & jerk that the weight would quickly/easily also go up. It did for my front squat once I finally figured out a more proper front rack position.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
30minutes on a Nordic Track and 30minutes jogging on a treadmill.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Warmup:
Passthroughs and Burgener

Skill:
Bear Complex - 1 rep is comprised of doing the following:
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Push Press

Workout:
3 mins - Bear Complex - 135#
1 min Rest
3 mins - Pushups
1 min Rest
3 mins - Row for calories.

My total score was 102. I did 8 'Bears', 34 pushups, and 60cals on the rower. My pushups should be lots better, but I'm fat enough that any bodyweight exercise sucks. Pretty happy with my others. Could have maybe went a bit faster with the Bears.

PS- Glad I didn't have to do any burpees and yes I still hate them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did lower body/core yesterday. Had to go a little easy, felt sore from sprints the previous day. Sore and old.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't feel old, just sore someplace all the time.

Celebrex and Motrin are my new best friends. grin

Addition:

Look on the sunny side. There is and will be worse than sore.

Last edited by battue; 02/26/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here you go. This one always picks me up when I feeling a little down. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
thanks Harry, I think I just over-did the sprints a little. Something about sudden starts/stops when you haven't done that in a while. Love the Van, just dusted off my Tupelo Honey CD for our drive up to the mountains this past weekend, now I've got to keep an eye on it or my son will want to 'borrow' it for a while......

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my 60s. Now it is heart, lungs, legs and back with some upper body stuff thrown in. I use a heart monitor and walk with an uphill componet, it is easier to maintain the target heart rate. Deadlifts for back and legs. I seldom go into the 300# range anymore. Snatches are for fast twitch muscles and it forces one to arch your back. Bad form and the weight comes down. Im just learning the snatch so I go really light. Just when I think I'm doing great the Crossfit Chicks arrive smile.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Previous video workout and 35minute interval on treadmill.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
thanks Harry, I think I just over-did the sprints a little. Something about sudden starts/stops when you haven't done that in a while. Love the Van, just dusted off my Tupelo Honey CD for our drive up to the mountains this past weekend, now I've got to keep an eye on it or my son will want to 'borrow' it for a while......

Tupelo Honey is one of my favorites...

Enjoy reading the WO's here. I need to start posting.

Didn't get to box today so I thought I'd do something different, off the cuff cardio:

1/4 mile jog from house
2 40 yard sprints just striding
12 40 yard sprints HARD
1/4 mile jog back to the house
Didn't time my rest periods but they were fairly short, it was 14:49 total time from house to back.
15 minutes on the elliptical, highest level, highest incline, switch direction every 2.5 minutes, 4 of last 5 minutes switch direction every minute, last minute switch every 30 seconds.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I went to the ortho today, gonna put off shoulder surgery until after hunting season. Hunting season is in September and the rehab takes 6 months so that's cutting it too close. Did upper body workout today.

Page 15 of 120 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,261
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.